ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating.... perhaps one thing we can agree upon

Nittany_93

Mar 3, 2004
Perhaps one thing we can agree upon is that for as much angst as there was regarding O'Neil's crew and Big officiating in general, the game was evenly called.

While conference based officiating leaves much to be desired and officiating acumen can be dubious at times, there were no officiating shenanigans as we've seen in the past.

There may have been an "old boys" club with officiating bias with regards to OSU and UM in the past, those days seem to thankfully be over.

Perhaps one thing we can agree upon is that for as much angst as there was regarding O'Neil's crew and Big officiating in general, the game was evenly called.

While conference based officiating leaves much to be desired and officiating acumen can be dubious at times, there were no officiating shenanigans as we've seen in the past.

There may have been an "old boys" club with officiating bias with regards to OSU and UM in the past, those days seem to thankfully be over.

With the amount of money at stake in games any more, it would not surprise me if someone threatened to drop a dime to the Feds if the shenanigans continued. The last thing the BIG needed was Justice or FBI snooping around.

Comments like "you're lucky to be playing football" from a league appointed official would be cause for action.

O'Neil convinced me that he has a lousy officiating crew and he is a hack for the league office. For the first time in 25 years I saw officials trying to hand the game to PSU. I have no doubt it is because we were #2 and would've been #1 if we won.

Reactions: JJTopp99

With the speed of the game today, replay, the constant nitpicking of every play by announcers, officiating is a difficult job. I thought they did, on balance, a good job.

Yes they did. I told the fans next to me that they were coming off a bye week so relax they will get going. Wish I was wrong!!!! Damn it!!

O'Neil convinced me that he has a lousy officiating crew and he is a hack for the league office. For the first time in 25 years I saw officials trying to hand the game to PSU. I have no doubt it is because we were #2 and would've been #1 if we won.
I'm not too sure about that, we had more defensive holding calls than they had offensive holding....that's a bit unusual. No one tried to hand the game to PSU.

Would not have been #1.

Actually O'Neill's team did us no favors. The video reviews were called in the booth and not by field refs. Remember the Tompkins TD was called an interception on field and had to be reversed rather than a TD then a review. Hard to overturn unless it was obvious. It was obvious. The one thing his crew had total control of was pass interference and holding. He used them often. Not saying he was wrong all the time. He was wrong because he was allowed to Ref the game at all. Not trustworthy. Remember he called 39% of all our penalties for the year in the Iowa game (don't know about last night)

Actually O'Neill's team did us no favors. The video reviews were called in the booth and not by field refs. Remember the Tompkins TD was called an interception on field and had to be reversed rather than a TD then a review. Hard to overturn unless it was obvious. It was obvious. The one thing his crew had total control of was pass interference and holding. He used them often. Not saying he was wrong all the time. He was wrong because he was allowed to Ref the game at all. Not trustworthy. Remember he called 39% of all our penalties for the year in the Iowa game (don't know about last night)
We had 9 penalties last night I believe which was two more than against Iowa. So that percentage went way up.

Really? You're gonna still complain about the officiating crew? I have never been a defender of this pathetic conference's officials and will look for any reason in a game to call them out but there was no reason yesterday. Tell you what, you be on the field in that back judge's position on the Thompkins touchdown. That play happened so quick that he really couldn't make a call on it until he got over to the pile and saw the OSU player had the ball at the bottom of the pile so he had to assume INT. These refs know they have replay as a backup in these situations just like NFL refs know it and just like MLB umpires have it. As far as the holds and the PI's, no problems there. They called a ticky-tack PI on Haley on the fade to the end zone in the 2nd quarter but it was no different than the one called on OSU when we tried the fade to Polk that got picked. But hey, if you want to keep up the conspiracy theories and it helps you sleep at night, go for it.

Reactions: Al_Tuna
PSU is going to lose their whole offense next year, OSU is just getting started essentially. Back to sucking you go, PedoState
Not that it was ever in doubt but it's always fun to have suckeye fans proving over and over again why they are the most hated fan base in all of college football - dbags 24:7.

Not that it was ever in doubt but it's always fun to have suckeye fans proving over and over again why they are the most hated fan base in all of college football - dbags 24:7.
What's funny is they're losing their four year starting QB, but the poster doesn't think OSU will take a step back....arrogance at its best.

What's funny is they're losing their four year starting QB, but the poster doesn't think OSU will take a step back....arrogance at its best.

We really aren't losing that much on offense. It's not like we are even using Barkley that effectively. He goes and we get Sanders. Sanders is good.

Really? You're gonna still complain about the officiating crew? I have never been a defender of this pathetic conference's officials and will look for any reason in a game to call them out but there was no reason yesterday. Tell you what, you be on the field in that back judge's position on the Thompkins touchdown. That play happened so quick that he really couldn't make a call on it until he got over to the pile and saw the OSU player had the ball at the bottom of the pile so he had to assume INT. These refs know they have replay as a backup in these situations just like NFL refs know it and just like MLB umpires have it. As far as the holds and the PI's, no problems there. They called a ticky-tack PI on Haley on the fade to the end zone in the 2nd quarter but it was no different than the one called on OSU when we tried the fade to Polk that got picked. But hey, if you want to keep up the conspiracy theories and it helps you sleep at night, go for it.

Not that it matters and no conspiracy theory but the DB grabbed Polk by the jersey and shoulder pad at the 10 yard line as he was making his cut. So maybe not PI but definitely a holding penalty.

Reactions: jim cummings

Only the PI call in the end zone was garbage, and should have been a touchback.

We really aren't losing that much on offense. It's not like we are even using Barkley that effectively. He goes and we get Sanders. Sanders is good.
And defenses wont key on him either so we may be more effective on offense.

Not that it matters and no conspiracy theory but the DB grabbed Polk by the jersey and shoulder pad at the 10 yard line as he was making his cut. So maybe not PI but definitely a holding penalty.
I have news for you,holding could be called on every play, whats different,its the degree of the holding that gets called.

Comment on the high percentage of penalties call by O'Neill's crew in Iowa and Ohio State as indicated in AWS1022's post compared by the rest of our games refereed by other teams. Really not a conspiracy theory if it's not a theory. Sorry.

Comment on the high percentage of penalties call by O'Neill's crew in Iowa and Ohio State as indicated in AWS1022's post compared by the rest of our games refereed by other teams. Really not a conspiracy theory if it's not a theory. Sorry.

The better research would be to chart this crew’s penalty calls vs other crews. In the NFL, Jeff Tripplette’s crew throws more flags than Ed Hochuli’s. Since crews work together all season, they get into grooves and they may interpret penalties differently than other crews. Maybe his crew is just flag-happy overall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT