ADVERTISEMENT

Official Yacht Rock Thread

I’ll never forget giving a hitchhiking Chuck a ride to the 94 Bills vs Chiefs AFC Championship Game! He was playing the trumpet out the back window of my car as we made our way down Abbott Road. Classic!
Wait...sorry this is too cool to be true. You gave Chuck freaking Mangione a ride to a Bill's game and he played trumpet in your back seat??????!!!!

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Wait...sorry this is too cool to be true. You gave Chuck freaking Mangione a ride to a Bill's game and he played trumpet in your back seat??????!!!!
Yeah... Crazy. Funny thing is, I posted a link to my blog post on it on a Bills site when they played the Chiefs two years ago. Chuck's niece saw it and shared it with him and his family. She said he remembered the day and they all had a good laugh about it.

Yeah... Crazy. Funny thing is, I posted a link to my blog post on it on a Bills site when they played the Chiefs two years ago. Chuck's niece saw it and shared it with him and his family. She said he remembered the day and they all had a good laugh about it.

8-CCF6-C76-503-C-4-B11-AF5-C-CAFDEE6816-BB.gif

Have seen this band several times - being as they got their start in Atlanta...they even have a back up band now that plays locally since YRR is all over the Country now. HOWEVER...as of late, they have "sold out". They started playing Prince tunes, even Tina Turner at the last concert I went to. Not exactly what I would call "Yacht Rock" genre.
Here’s their set list from the night we went. We did comment that Van Halen was little off brand but overall still a great show.

Here’s their set list from the night we went. We did comment that Van Halen was little off brand but overall still a great show.
Hard to complain when 90% of their song list usually is "yacht rock", but...they did find / make a nice niche for themselves with YR music. Stay in your lane, guys!

Reactions: Wandering Spectator
No, sorry. Would not call Billy, Yacht Rock.
Try almost anything by 'Chicago'
Allow me to give you the starter kit:
Toto
Chicago
Kenny Loggins
Doobie Brothers with Michael Mcdonald
Michael Mcdonald solo
Christopher Cross
Ambrosia
Hall and Oates
Steely Dan
George benson
Al Jarreau
Eric Carmen
Paul Davis
Rupert Holmes
Earth Wind and Fire
Dan Fogelberg
England Dan and John Ford Coley
Kool and the gang
Little River Band
Orleans
Pablo Cruise
Boz Scaggs
Player
Bobby Caldwell
Gino Vannelli
Player
Spandau Ballet
DeBarge

There is an AWESOME yacht rock style artist right here in State College named Jud Mantz and if you want you should check him out.. he's an old friend of mine...https://pinegrovehall.com/event/4298817/562754333/jud-mantz-friday-flight-acoustic-night

I could be wrong but I thought Yacht Rock only fit in the 76-82 time frame. So basically any song from that era could qualify indirectly. Except maybe an obvious genre like disco.

I could be wrong but I thought Yacht Rock only fit in the 76-82 time frame. So basically any song from that era could qualify indirectly. Except maybe an obvious genre like disco.
Generally, yes you are correct...HOWEVER there are elements in music from 71 to 76 and from 82 all the way up to around 88, that also fit the description...
For example, Looking Glass "Brandy" which is 73, and then you have something like Anita Baker from 87...and note that the "rock" description is not actually an accurate term here. Yacht can go all the way from the Eagles country rock to the soul of Chaka Khan.
It's about being informed by melody, textures, nuance, studio excellence, production values, musicianship..etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT