ADVERTISEMENT

Official Post Pitt Game Gripe Thread

psuro

Aug 24, 2001
The corner table at the Skellar
WTF was that all about? Effing third down - on BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL.

Pitt's coordinators drew up better game plans than Penn State's coordinators.

The PSU OL was letting Pitt hit Clifford every time he released the ball - it took almost 3 1/2 quarters for PSU to get to Pickett.

Blitz on 3rd and long? And give up the same screen pass for a long run? Seriously?

Cain was effective, but he got better blocking in the 3rd quarter than Brown and Slade did.

Clifford looks to Hamler, Friermut Dotson and THEN Shorter. I can't imagine Shorter is having that much trouble getting away from his man. He has to be more involved.

Parsons loves the pirouette tackle - several times over the last 2 years, that has allowed the other team to get a first down, and in today's game - a touchdown. But that said, he did play really well today.

Cam Brown made a play when he had to, but was quiet most of the game.

Hard to believe it took until 4th quarter to get to Pickett.

Frustrating win. I will be over it in 24 hours, but until then....AAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH.....

The PSU OL was letting Pitt hit Clifford every time he released the ball - it took almost 3 1/2 quarters for PSU to get to Pickett.

Blitz on 3rd and long? And give up the same screen pass for a long run? Seriously?

Cain was effective, but he got better blocking in the 3rd quarter than Brown and Slade did.

Clifford looks to Hamler, Friermut Dotson and THEN Shorter. I can't imagine Shorter is having that much trouble getting away from his man. He has to be more involved.

Parsons loves the pirouette tackle - several times over the last 2 years, that has allowed the other team to get a first down, and in today's game - a touchdown. But that said, he did play really well today.

Frustrating win. I will be over it in 24 hours, but until then....AAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH.....
Better than a tough loss, and seeming close will Drive Narduzzi crazier

I grew up criticizing football, not playing or coaching it, but why the insistence on playing zone defense? Also, why the insistence on running up the middle instead of getting our fast running backs out on the edge?

:eek:

Should call it post "Win" gripe thread

Was disappointed with the PSU offensive line and PSU pass coverage, but at least the Lions got the W. It could be worse. Just ask the Terps. Whoever called a Temple upset was right on the money. Amazingly so.

Last edited:
Reactions: aferrelli

I agree with everything you said. I could not have penned that any better.

While I don't like Micah's tackling style, let's blame right person. I think Tariq completely whiffed on tackle behind line. Pathetic.

Reactions: wlawn
Going to have to decide on a running back. I think Cain is better between the tackles and has more wiggle. Clifford had the opportunity today on the RPO to keep it and run on several occasions but did not. When Trace didn't run, we struggled. To those at the game, were there open receivers that Clifford missed? Pitt was willing to give us are backs out of the backfield and short throws.

Thank god Narduzzi is on the other side for game management. Bad time outs and not going for it on fourth and goal.

Reactions: Cosmos
We were saved by Narduzzi's idiot decision to try a FG

th

PSU Pitt is a little fun but not existentially important to Penn State. Bring on WVU Miami and ND back as the marquee ooc match up. This is a fun issue but one only a state lawmaker should be concerned with 18 years from now. Mods please move this and all other Pitt related threads to the politics board.

I’m just glad Penn State won. Glad the series with Pitt is over forever. Glad I’m not sitting here gnashing teeth over losing to Pitt. That would have been unbearable. Thrilled knowing there are some so-called Pitt fans out there (really Penn State haters) who are ready to jump off the bridge because of the outcome. Hope they do, actually. F ‘em and good riddance you two-bit POSs.

Hope Penn State shows overall improvement as the season progresses.

Thought Pitt played a great game. Never thought Kenny Pickett would outplay Sean Clifford, but he did. Good for him. I’m sure his parents are very happy.

Last edited:
I was just thinking of all the quarterbacks Pitt fans have ripped to shreds on their board over the years: Stull, Sunseri, DiNucci, Pickett. Everybody recently, except Peterman, I guess. And from opposing teams: McSorley. Another reason I’m glad those effers lost.

Agree. Even if he doesn't make it we would have been pinned against the goal line on offense. Then we would snap the ball half way into the end zone and, given how we run block, engage their linemen also within the end zone. Good chance it would have led to a safety if an LB hits the right gap.

Good news is that this should button Dooze's mouth. The bad news is that this embarrassment might be bad enough for Pitt to get rid of him and they could wind up with someone who can recruit.

Agree. Even if he doesn't make it we would have been pinned against the goal line on offense. Then we would snap the ball half way into the end zone and, given how we run block, engage their linemen also within the end zone. Good chance it would have led to a safety if an LB hits the right gap.

Good news is that this should button Dooze's mouth. The bad news is that this embarrassment might be bad enough for Pitt to get rid of him and they could wind up with someone who can recruit.

Pitt will be hard-pressed to find a coach who can recruit good players there.

This is pretty much the headline of the game. Thank God Narduzzi was clueless.

This PSU team is not good. Kenny ‘8 yards’ threw for 370. The defense continues to give up a ton of 3rd and longs. The offense can’t grind out key first downs late in the game and was 4/13 on 3rd down.

It’s the same problems week after week and at this rate it’ll end with more losses against OSU, MSU, and Michigan.

I’ll just copy and paste what I posted in the game thread, since it fits here better:

We won’t be nationally competitive until Rahne and Limegrover are gone. Our line getting overran was the root of our offense’s problems. However, a competent coordinator would have been able to work around that issue. Aside from a few good drives with screen passes and runs in the fourth fifth of the game, the adjustments were not there. Then, even in aspects unrelated to the line’s poor play, Rahne made more boneheaded decisions. The play calling and overdoing of player rotation stand out in that regard.

With how little time the offense ate off the clock, it’s amazing that the defense only gave up 10 points. True, Pry’s third and long defense was astonishingly poor, but that is probably something that can be worked on. Unlike the two mentioned above, I think Pry has been strong enough elsewhere to give himself enough leeway to work out that issue.

As far as Franklin, there’s nothing inherently wrong with his being a CEO who handles the big picture issues (such as team philosophy, approach to recruiting), while delegating the X’s and O’s to the coordinators. In fact, this arrangement can work very well, considering that he is a natural for that CEO role. But the crucial fact of this system is that whether the team is decent or great hinges on the assistants’ quality. Right now, the assistants are poor, and so the team is underwhelming. Unlike many here, though, I am reasonably hopeful that Franklin will sort out his coordinators this offseason and have us running on all cylinders again.

This is pretty much the headline of the game. Thank God Narduzzi was clueless.

This PSU team is not good. Kenny ‘8 yards’ threw for 370. The defense continues to give up a ton of 3rd and longs. The offense can’t grind out key first downs late in the game and was 4/13 on 3rd down.

It’s the same problems week after week and at this rate it’ll end with more losses against OSU, MSU, and Michigan.
These are all negative trends that many fans want to ignore. Problems, what problems? After all we had a goalline stand. Never should have been in that position. Coaching was questionable and after execution was lacking.

ACC refs were horrible missed 2 targeting calls that should have a least been reviewed , throwing punches in front of them.
Hipp has weak hands this year, Slade should be #4 RB but is a receiving threat. Lamont stinks at tackling , Cam came to play today. The O line especially CJ made running lanes today, they should scrap the long bomb on first down , it,s a drive killer.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
ACC refs were horrible missed 2 targeting calls that should have a least been reviewed , throwing punches in front of them.
Hipp has weak hands this year, Slade should be #4 RB but is a receiving threat. Lamont stinks at tackling , Cam came to play today. The O line especially CJ made running lanes today, they should scrap the long bomb on first down , it,s a drive killer.
Refs with the BAD pas interference cals on Reid. No way da osu gets that called on them

Keep in mind the other team is trying too

We struggled but luckily we did not have to shitt on pitt since Narduzzi shitt the bed with that FG attempt

What happened on the punt interference? Was at the game and only replay angle we saw it looked like a bad call.

I am sure that Franklin, the other coaches and all the players know they can't play like did today once we get into the tough stretch in October. Today was an early wake up call and they are likely thankful for the win given the issues folks have mentioned in this thread.

Have our DTs ir DEs batted down any passes @ the LOS this year? They don't seem to get their hands up in the passing lanes when the are stopped from getting penetration. The height is there to do it. I see other team defenses batting down passes but rarely us.

Reactions: palmettolion
We have much more talent but Pitt does more with less. Scheme?,Coaching? Scheme? Coaching? Yep we were out coached again. Buffalo now the Pittiots

Have our DTs ir DEs batted down any passes @ the LOS this year? They don't seem to get their hands up in the passing lanes when the are stopped from getting penetration. The height is there to do it. I see other team defenses batting down passes but rarely us.

That’s a very good observation. Do you think it could be that the DL focuses more on sacks and, therefore, keeps charging rather than stopping to bat the pass down?

That’s a very good observation. Do you think it could be that the DL focuses more on sacks and, therefore, keeps charging rather than stopping to bat the pass down?
I think you might be right Bob. They seem to rush with intention of a sack and nothing else.

I’m just glad Penn State won. Glad the series with Pitt is over forever. Glad I’m not sitting here gnashing teeth over losing to Pitt. That would have been unbearable. Thrilled knowing there are some so-called Pitt fans out there (really Penn State haters) who are ready to jump of the bridge because of the outcome. Hope they do, actually. F ‘em and good riddance you two-bit POSs.

Hope Penn State shows overall improvement as the season progresses.

Thought Pitt played a great game. Never thought Kenny Pickett would outplay Sean Clifford, but he did. Good for him. I’m sure his parents are very happy.
Reasonable and classy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT