ADVERTISEMENT

Have to say, was reallly impressed with Cliff last weekend against Auburn in a difficult road environment.

He looked more like the Sean Clifford in last year's Iowa game than what we saw in the Opener against Purdue.

He was calm and cool.... and accurate. If Cliff keeps playing like that, he will get drafted
I am happy for Clifford that he finally gets a full complement of supporting players around him and more importantly, a second year with the same offensive coordinator and offensive system. As he gets more game experience with those two major factors, we should get a much more confident and productive Sean Clifford.

Agreed on him playing better but he doesn't have an NFL arm.

regardless, this is the first time I've been excited about PSU in several years. Even when they were ranking going into the Iowa game, it was clear that this team had some huge holes that would come back to bite them (lack of a running game, thin at QB). I don't see those, at least as bad, this year. I am still not sold on our running game but it is clearly better than the last two years.

Plus, we've got so many good young players. Not only does 2022 set up better than 20 and 21, but the future looks bright.

regardless, this is the first time I've been excited about PSU in several years. Even when they were ranking going into the Iowa game, it was clear that this team had some huge holes that would come back to bite them (lack of a running game, thin at QB). I don't see those, at least as bad, this year. I am still not sold on our running game but it is clearly better than the last two years.

Plus, we've got so many good young players. Not only does 2022 set up better than 20 and 21, but the future looks bright.
Most understand that but you don't need an NFL arm to be a highly successful CF QB. Clifford has the moxie, understanding and can move outside the pocket - things that make up for not having an NFL arm.

Perfect examples are the Oklahoma (before Lincoln Riley), Nebraska and OSU QBs of the past decades. You can even throw in some of those Alabama dual-option QBs before Saban. Not many - at all - made it in the NFL - but they sure lit it up in College Football. Clifford kind of reminds me of those QBs. Basically, he's just smart and has enough an arm to really get it done in CF.

Most understand that but you don't need an NFL arm to be a highly successful CF QB. Clifford has the moxie, understanding and can move outside the pocket - things that make up for not having an NFL arm.

Perfect examples are the Oklahoma (before Lincoln Riley), Nebraska and OSU QBs of the past decades. You can even throw in some of those Alabama dual-option QBs before Saban. Not many - at all - made it in the NFL - but they sure lit it up in College Football. Clifford kind of reminds me of those QBs. Basically, he's just smart and has enough an arm to really get it done in CF.
Agreed. was only referring to a potential NFL career.

NFL QBs need to have a strong throw for ten yard out patterns. If not, it is easily jumped by the CB which can often lead to a TD. Without that throw on 3rd and long, CBs only have to cover part of the field. It is really the gold standard difference between a starter and a back up.

I'd say his arm is at least as good as McSorley's and Matt McGloin's, and both made NFL rosters.

I'd say his arm is at least as good as McSorley's and Matt McGloin's, and both made NFL rosters.
"made" is the operative word here. I wouldn't say that they had "successful years". by that, I mean they started for any appreciable period of time. No shame in that. And, of course, I could be wrong. SC has shown a great ability to move in the pocket, keep his eyes up and hit players on the run. So I have no problem with him being a starting QB for PSU.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I could be wrong. SC has shown a great ability to move in the pocket, keep his eyes up and hit players on the run. So I have no problem with him being a starting QB for PSU.
He's just a smart QB with moxie and PSU should really thank their stars that he came back this year. This is not a shot at Allar, Pribula or any of the others but those two are YOUNG and have a ton of learning in front of them

Clifford could have a six year career in the NFL throwing a total of 90 passes........ Not a bad gig.

Not a number 1 QB due to arm strength but the calm mop up 2nd or 3rd stringer..... a Josh Dobbs esq. guy is a nice way to get a paycheck and if you stick around long enough a good pension.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I don't think Clifford is an NFL caliber QB, but not because he lacks arm strength. He doesn't have a rocket like Rodgers or Mahomes but it's not any worse than Pickett, Ridder, Corrall, or Howell.

He looked more like the Sean Clifford in last year's Iowa game than what we saw in the Opener against Purdue.

He was calm and cool.... and accurate. If Cliff keeps playing like that, he will get drafted.
One huge complaint.......the play that he got de—cleated. This is a guy with a history of injuries from high school on. He needs to get down and stay healthy. Think after five years he would have learned that. Getting a single first down at that point in the first quarter isn’t worth risking the entire season.

One huge complaint.......the play that he got de—cleated. This is a guy with a history of injuries from high school on. He needs to get down and stay healthy. Think after five years he would have learned that. Getting a single first down at that point in the first quarter isn’t worth risking the entire season.
How do you learn to stay healthy in football? Thousands wanting to know.....

He was calm and cool.... and accurate. If Cliff keeps playing like that, he will get drafted.
Why be happy or impressed? That makes no sense. He should always play that way against inferior opponents with less talent.

Signed Lando Comando

LOL!

Reactions: marshall23
How do you learn to stay healthy in football? Thousands wanting to know.....

If you watch the play, he appears to intend to slide but misjudged where the contact would occur (you are down where you start your slide, so it appears he was trying to gain the line before going into slide - and that is right when he gets hit high, which is why his weight is back when he gets hit.). He should have dove head first, which would have allowed him to gain the line. doesn't count as a slide and the defender would not have been able to get leverage lower than him to stop his momentum from gaining the first (of course he could have protected the ball much better to).

If you watch the play, he appears to intend to slide but misjudged where the contact would occur (you are down where you start your slide, so it appears he was trying to gain the line before going into slide - and that is right when he gets hit high, which is why his weight is back when he gets hit.). He should have dove head first, which would have allowed him to gain the line. doesn't count as a slide and the defender would not have been able to get leverage lower than him to stop his momentum from gaining the first (of course he could have protected the ball much better to).
OK LOL

Why be happy or impressed? That makes no sense. He should always play that way against inferior opponents with less talent.

Signed Lando Comando

LOL!

Too funny. He had 5 incompletions - we should expect him to complete every pass. Also, we should expect Singleton to score every time he touches the ball - he only scored on 2 of his 10 touches.

The primary keys to being an effective NFL backup (Clifford won't be a starter) is not having starter ability. There are very few of those around. In fact, not even enough for close to every team to have a starter with starting ability. You need someone who knows the offense, studies the game plan like a starter, doesn't make dumb mistakes, reads coverages and can lead the team when the starter is out. All this without taking many reps. Arm strength is necessary, but certainly not ahead of not making big time mistakes or knowing defensive tendencies. These guys don't have the talent to overcome stupid mistakes like Farve did. Some guys can come in after not playing for a year and effectively lead a team, others with far more talent cannot. You really never know who can do it because they were usually starters their entire careers. Like the draft, finding a backup who is not a known quantity is a crapshoot.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I don't think Clifford is an NFL caliber QB, but not because he lacks arm strength. He doesn't have a rocket like Rodgers or Mahomes but it's not any worse than Pickett, Ridder, Corrall, or Howell.
Inconsistent throwing accurate deep balls. Inconsistent accuracy in general. Has trouble throwing receivers open at times.

With that said, he is a winner when healthy, gritty, smart and experienced. Arm strength is good enough and he certainly is on page with Yurcich this year.

NFL arms, Wilson, Murray, Mayfield, Cousins, Pickett, etc., etc. If you base it arm strength, I disagree. If overall presence, accuracy, arm strength you're probably right.

NFL arms, Wilson, Murray, Mayfield, Cousins, Pickett, etc., etc. If you base it arm strength, I disagree. If overall presence, accuracy, arm strength you're probably right.
I feel that you need to have some minimum amount of arm strength to be an NFL Qb. After than that, all of those other attributes come into play. Arm strength cannot be taught. That is why scouts get blinded by prospects with arm strength. There are only so many people that are presented to them that have this capability. And there is such a difference between the pro game and college, much of the on-field performance isn't valued. Plus, it is hard to know the work ethic of a kid in college versus one that suddenly gets $20m dropped in their lap when they sign their round one draft pick contract.

It is like a golden arm is a golden ticket to being a potential starter. Without that ticket, you are forever sentenced to being a coach or in-uniform holding a clipboard.

I feel that you need to have some minimum amount of arm strength to be an NFL Qb. After than that, all of those other attributes come into play. Arm strength cannot be taught. That is why scouts get blinded by prospects with arm strength. There are only so many people that are presented to them that have this capability. And there is such a difference between the pro game and college, much of the on-field performance isn't valued. Plus, it is hard to know the work ethic of a kid in college versus one that suddenly gets $20m dropped in their lap when they sign their round one draft pick contract.

It is like a golden arm is a golden ticket to being a potential starter. Without that ticket, you are forever sentenced to being a coach or in-uniform holding a clipboard.
No argument from me whatsoever

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT