ADVERTISEMENT

Official "Pitt Stinks" thread

What a painful loss for Pitt. Oh my.
A signature loss by the..
3F6F7CEC00000578-0-image-m-18_1493299388679.jpg

That timeout when they at first looked to be going for it then the punt. WOW. That was one of the dumbest mismanagements I have ever seen in a situation like that and I am not exaggerating it.
In his presser Narduzzi called the 4th and 9 punt TO "a perfect timeout." I'm not kidding. He also threw the players under the bus and did not assign any culpability to himself or his staff. Unreal.

Video:
https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/news/post-game-video-narduzzi-after-the-loss-to-vt

Transcript:
https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/news/narduzzi-we-did-enough-things-to-not-win-the-game-

The drive before your last one, it’s fourth down and you’re on your own side of the field; the offense goes out and you end up using a timeout. What happened in that situation?
Narduzzi:
It was fourth-and-10 and - again, I’m not worried about the timeout. It was a good timeout. It ended up being a perfect timeout, to be honest with you. But it was fourth-and-10. I had told the offense we were going to go for it early in the series; I said, ‘You have four downs.’ But we got down to a fourth-and-10 and I flipped my headset over to the defense and said, ‘Hey, can we stop them? Can we get off the field?’ Which we didn’t a week ago. They said, ‘We’ll get it stopped.’ So credit to our defense on what we call a ‘four-minute get the ball back.’ Went three plays and out and we got the ball back, didn’t use a timeout in that series, just to preserve it for the end offensively with a young quarterback and we were able to do that.

That’s why you called that ‘perfect timeout’, it allowed you time to make that decision?
Narduzzi:
Yeah. We had to get the personnel out there before we got a delay of game. Maybe a delay of game would have been better. I don’t know. But I thought, just to get our personnel out there, punt the ball and get the ball back - I thought fourth-and-10 is a risk at the 35-yard line. It didn’t matter what they do with the ball; they’re just going to take a knee anyway. But it was just a matter of, do you want to punt it and try to change the field a little bit? That’s what we did and it worked out okay. It would have been really okay if we had scored a touchdown there.

Reactions: john4psu
I give nardoozie credit for going for the win on 4th down today. Bummer it didn’t work out for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT