ADVERTISEMENT

Obviously, joe did a great job, however, the players HATED him!

emertmakeshiteup

Feb 27, 2019
I would hope JF never gets to that point! Their number 1 play on words was, "Joes a lien!" He was to connected to/with the kings of industry for any player to ever diss him! Just sayin, yeh a great coach and played fair, however, please drop the pedestal (uncritically admired) while ripping JF!

I would hope JF never gets to that point! Their number 1 play on words was, "Joes a lien!" He was to connected to/with the kings of industry for any player to ever diss him! Just sayin, yeh a great coach and played fair, however, please drop the pedestal (uncritically admired) while ripping JF!

i don’t think they hated him. I once asked the question of a player if they liked him and did not get a positive response. At the same time, this player did say they respected him. I think true leaders become beloved as the result of hindsight.

I will say this about Joe, I do not think he ever approached a bowl like the current coaching staff. This staff seems to have no interest in winning a bowl game and just treat it like an opportunity to practice.

Try reading a book about Paterno before spewing your BS from 3 disgruntled adolescent athletes (if that is even true).
Very few human beings are regarded with such admiration as Joe Paterno.

Try to educate yourself.

You would be shocked at his level of decency and contribution to society as a whole.

Very few can match him.
Most of his players realized as they matured into manhood what a great man Joe was and how influential he was in their lives. More so than any coaches past or certainly present. Can't think of any coaches offhand that might compare.

Much like a parent who you resented their discipline but later realize how right they were.

Let's even pretend the players hated him though that's clearly not the case. Who cares? The objective is to win not be liked.

Try reading a book about Paterno before spewing your BS from 3 disgruntled adolescent athletes (if that is even true).
Very few human beings are regarded with such admiration as Joe Paterno.

Try to educate yourself.

You would be shocked at his level of decency and contribution to society as a whole.

Very few can match him.
Most of his players realized as they matured into manhood what a great man Joe was and how influential he was in their lives. More so than any coaches past or certainly present. Can't think of any coaches offhand that might compare.

Much like a parent who you resented their discipline but later realize how right they were.
Or Franco Harris who was in and out of Joe’s doghouse during his career. Can’t think of a bigger supporter of Joe than Franco

i don’t think they hated him. I once asked the question of a player if they liked him and did not get a positive response. At the same time, this player did say they respected him. I think true leaders become beloved as the result of hindsight.

I will say this about Joe, I do not think he ever approached a bowl like the current coaching staff. This staff seems to have no interest in winning a bowl game and just treat it like an opportunity to practice.
I don’t think Franklin treated the bowl game as an opportunity to practice. There was this small. issue with 9 starters out of the game, including 6 on defense and a substitute defensive coordinator. It is what it is, but the claim that Franklin didn’t try to win is nonsense.

Put down the pipe!!

I don’t think Franklin treated the bowl game as an opportunity to practice. There was this small. issue with 9 starters out of the game, including 6 on defense and a substitute defensive coordinator. It is what it is, but the claim that Franklin didn’t try to win is nonsense.
And nearly all those missing players were from the D. Doesn't explain the embarrassing ineptitude of the offense.

I know for a fact, that very few players hated Joe. Most knew he was academics first.

Yeah, the Bowls - outside of the Playoffs - have become kind of glorified exhibition games and in reality, the opt outs on teams with the upper level talent has kind of leveled the field between the have and the have nots in the Bowl games - like it or not. The opt outs - and especially the Playoffs - have really diminished interest in Bowls that really mattered 10 to 15 years ago.

As for the OP's statement on Joe P - that's just total crazy talk. Won't even bother to elaborate.

I went back to PSU after my first job and spent 6 months subletting from some former walkons. They had some key PSU players over every so often. Not a whole lot of love for Joe at that time. Most thought he was a pompous ass and that is being kind. Joe was a disciplinarian which I'm sure didn't generate a whole lot of love, I'm sure later in life their attitudes softened as many do. It was also during the time Joe got involved in politics which Joe even admitted himself that he was not his best during that time.

The key is Franklin never wins!!

His strength is selling the program. If he was serious about winning, would there be all the opt outs? I am not anti Franklin, nor pro Paterno, but I can guarantee that Joe took bowl games seriously. I am not seeing a track record with this coaching staff of taking a bowl game seriously.

His strength is selling the program. If he was serious about winning, would there be all the opt outs? I am not anti Franklin, nor pro Paterno, but I can guarantee that Joe took bowl games seriously. I am not seeing a track record with this coaching staff of taking a bowl game seriously.
But if we're being honest, it's a different era with the bowls now. Just look around some of the different bowls - outside of the Playoffs - and some of the opt outs for some teams really put the team and coaches at a huge disadvantage.

PSU, OSU and even Purdue were without some of their major players. Heck, Purdue played without Bell and Karlaftis - their two superstars. Joe P - for the most part - got to go with all of his major players as did the other coaches in that era

Last edited:
But if we're being honest, it's a different era with the bowls now. Just look around some of the different bowls - outside of the Playoffs - and some of the opt outs for some teams really put the team and coaches at a huge disadvantage.

PSU, OSU and even Purdue were without some of their major players. Heck, Purdue played without Bell and Karlaftis) their two superstars. Joe P - for the most part - got to go with all of his major players as did the other coaches in that era
This is a great argument for trimming the bowl games down to the New Year's Six and the Playoff games.

PSU, OSU and even Purdue were without some of their major players. Heck, Purdue played without Bell and Karlaftis) their two superstars. Joe P - for the most part - got to go with all of his major players as did the other coaches in that era
Seems Clemson took their bowl game a little more seriously. If we are being honest, there were coaches in the Paterno era that didn’t take their games seriously. Today, different coaches approach the games differently. A coach with a burning desire to win is going to sell playing the game differently. I just do not see that approach.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER

WTF is your idea of what a college coach should be.... Captain Steubing?

Good Lord!

Maybe you should have a talk with Greg Buttle or Joe Jurevicious about how the felt about Joe. When Jurevicous' son was very ill, guess who he went to see for comfort. Hmmmmm
Or Adam Taliafarro - the Judas. Or hundreds of other players or many hundreds of everyday people.

Seriously. Ask Franco Harris who he challenged every day!

The overwhelming majority of the players revered Joe. How do I know that? I know a fair number of them personally - including some whom those here would know that could be trusted to represent the voice of tbe Lettermen. Was he tough? Demanding? Yes. But he was fair and his teams were as well coached for big games as anyone ever. And his players were better prepared for life than any school - bar none.

The Hamilton family....
The Collins brothers ... 5 or 6?
The Bahr brothers.
Roger and Kenny Jackson.
The Sacca brothers.
The Johnson brothers.
The Ganter brothers.

Must have been a lot of older brothers that hated their younger brothers ?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT