ADVERTISEMENT

Observation from Millen about PSU LB’s

83wuzme

Apr 27, 2005
At Media Day, he singled out freshman early enrollee Brandon Smith. He compared Smith to Jack Ham and Paul Posluzny. The attribute he sees in Smith that impresses him is his ability to avoid traffic while getting to the ball.
I can’t really remember Ham, but I remember Poz doing this. It was weird to watch, almost as if time itself was moving slower for him than everybody else. He seemed to know where the ball was going, even before the guy with the ball knew.

HS film, practice.

Yep, and Millen may have attended some of Spring practices as Smith was an EE.

It will be interesting to hear what Ham thinks about the LB talent when Ham makes some comments during Fall practice. Ham spends a lot of time at PSU during practice and likely checked out the young LB's during Spring practices.

But if some here want to ask their dog instead, that's their prerogative...

All reports are positive (as usual).
- Galt was gushing about Luketa's physical development
- Smith looked great in the B/W game, running sideline to sideline making tackles, and he is reportedly filled out in the S&C program to around 240 lbs. He will be a Parsons clone before long
- Katshir, who gets lost in the LB conversations sometimes, has also filled out and should be in the hunt to get on the field, especially on special teams.
- Brown has had a nice, but unspectacular career in lots of playing time. But reports are that he finally filled out, and has also taken on a leadership role as a Senior.

Dixon seems to be the one we know least about. In recent pictures of him, he looks pretty slim. Most seem to believe he will not redshirt this season, but I'm in the camp that believes he is at least 50-50 to redshirt given all the LB depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU
Yep, and all of Spring practice as Smith was an EE.

Ham spends a lot of time at PSU during practice. That, in combination with his experience at all levels of football, is why his opinions do matter to those that are looking for accurate assessments of the PSU players and team as a whole.......

But if some here want to ask their dog instead, that's their prerogative...
great but it was millen not ham that made the comment

Based upon...….? :)

Come August... if a guy like Jack Ham has some "takes", at least one can reasonably find a reason to give it some weight.

Millen? In July?

Might as well ask my dog.
(I did...… Buddy says "It too early to say... but how about a biscuit?")

That said, anyone who ever saw Smith's HS highlights would conclude the kid has the potential to be a player.
Where it goes from there? Time will tell.

I'm thinking that Buddy knows that if he gives his human an answer the human doesn't like, the biscuits are fewer and farther between. So, happy Hu(Nor)man, happy puppy, and enough biscuits to munch on and help him keep his real thoughts on freshmen LBs to himself.
Buddy is a very smart and very good boy indeed. :)

At Media Day, he singled out freshman early enrollee Brandon Smith. He compared Smith to Jack Ham and Paul Posluzny. The attribute he sees in Smith that impresses him is his ability to avoid traffic while getting to the ball.
I can’t really remember Ham, but I remember Poz doing this. It was weird to watch, almost as if time itself was moving slower for him than everybody else. He seemed to know where the ball was going, even before the guy with the ball knew.
Even as a freshman, wearing number 39, Poz stood out.

Is there a chance that Matt Millen might get in to see a spring practice or two?

Not sure he was up to it for most of the time spring ball was going on. Maybe he got to one the week of the game, when he was in town. But I don't know for sure.

Fwiw, I chatted with him at the Waffle Shop the Friday of B/W game - he and his wife were seated in the booth behind me. One of our foursome was a retired PSU coach/admin who he sort of knew. I knew him a bit back in college, as he was a frequent visitor at the fraternity I was in. But he didn't remember me, nor did I expect him to. I turned and said I was happy to see he was getting stronger and able to do the game. He said 'You and me both.'

Anyway, after they were done eating, they stopped by our table and chatted for about 5 minutes or so. Some reminiscing, some 'what do you do' chat, a couple of laughs, especially when I mentioned Fiji. He looked very thin. He was smiling and friendly. New heart, same personality.

You know, when I started this thread, I expected some interesting insights about our LB’s, but I can see it has somehow gone in a different direction.

Not sure he was up to it for most of the time spring ball was going on. Maybe he got to one the week of the game, when he was in town. But I don't know for sure.

Fwiw, I chatted with him at the Waffle Shop the Friday of B/W game - he and his wife were seated in the booth behind me. One of our foursome was a retired PSU coach/admin who he sort of knew. I knew him a bit back in college, as he was a frequent visitor at the fraternity I was in. But he didn't remember me, nor did I expect him to. I turned and said I was happy to see he was getting stronger and able to do the game. He said 'You and me both.'

Anyway, after they were done eating, they stopped by our table and chatted for about 5 minutes or so. Some reminiscing, some 'what do you do' chat, a couple of laughs, especially when I mentioned Fiji. He looked very thin. He was smiling and friendly. New heart, same personality.
Perge

Have to ask, John Bove?

Reactions: PSUfiji and Bob78
Ham was phenomenal- always around the ball. He played like he had an ear in the offense's huddle.

Elite linebackers have the premier ability to anticipate versus having to react. Jack Ham was the best of them all with Poz and Sean Lee not far behind. Parsons has nearly all of the attributes to become elite, but he needs to learn how to anticipate.

Reactions: Nitt1300
Have we ever had two or three five star recruits in the lb room? I can’t remember but this squad seems to be among the top two or three we have ever had in that regard. I am very optimistic about our defense.

Reactions: ralphster
Elite linebackers have the premier ability to anticipate versus having to react. Jack Ham was the best of them all with Poz and Sean Lee not far behind. Parsons has nearly all of the attributes to become elite, but he needs to learn how to anticipate.

I really think if Sean Lee could stay healthy, we’d be talking about him as a sure hall of famer. Fantastic anticipation.

Reactions: flash86
Millen is dead on with what I’ve said about Parsons. The athleticism is there. You have to hope the ability to anticipate catches up with the physical ability.

I believe it's also Parsons learning the proper angles to take to the ball. He gets off the ball great and seems to be in the play almost always, but on the plays he misses and does not make a tackle, especially wide, he's just a step behind. Seems like he is too far upfield at times. Some of that is still adjusting to the speed of the ball carriers. Anticipation and angle to the ball.

Last edited:
Agree 100%

Yeah. Cause the rest of the LB were awful.

Well, Derek Wake was still around when Poz came aboard for the 2003 season. But otherwise, a relatively pedestrian collection of LBs by PSU standards.

Wasn’t that after Wake blew out his knee? FWIW

Also - I honestly don’t remember without pulling up old rosters (maybe PTSD :) ) - but was that one of the infamous “Williams and Benfatti” Years?

I think Wake blew out his knee in 2001 vs. Miami in the season opener? He tried to jump over the punt protection and landed badly. But, long ago, and memories run together sometimes. Poz was a freshman in 2003. (If I recall, though... Connor and Shaw came along in 2004; Lee in 2005, and Bowman in 2006, so the LB quality went back to and beyond expectations soon after 2003).

As another poster said, Capone was the MLB in 2003.

Millen is dead on with what I’ve said about Parsons. The athleticism is there. You have to hope the ability to anticipate catches up with the physical ability.
Given that 1.) he’s is still learning the position and 2.) he managed to lead the team in tackles last year even though he didn’t start, I am not too concerned. Practice reports indicate he is intense and our DC is also an LB coach, so I think he will probably max out his college potential as an LB at PSU, barring injuries.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Given that 1.) he’s is still learning the position and 2.) he managed to lead the team in tackles last year even though he didn’t start, I am not too concerned. Practice reports indicate he is intense and our DC is also an LB coach, so I think he will probably max out his college potential as an LB at PSU, barring injuries.

I certainly hope so

i kno
Is there a chance that Matt Millen might get in to see a spring practice or two?
I know you're an internet football genius, but I would respect Millen a bit more than you, despite all of your credentials of criticizing from your couch.

Yea, he wasn't the best GM, but he got the position, which is more than I can say for any other PSU player/grad.
He got that position based on his history of winning championships, playing like an all pro and knowing a thing or two about football.
And yes, he will go down as one of the best to ever to play for PSU. Not to mention his motivational skills. He was the leader of that 1978 team that damn near won the NC.

i kno

I know you're an internet football genius, but I would respect Millen a bit more than you, despite all of your credentials of criticizing from your couch.

Yea, he wasn't the best GM, but he got the position, which is more than I can say for any other PSU player/grad.
He got that position based on his history of winning championships, playing like an all pro and knowing a thing or two about football.
And yes, he will go down as one of the best to ever to play for PSU. Not to mention his motivational skills. He was the leader of that 1978 team that damn near won the NC.

That seems unnecessarily harsh. Odd.

Maybe you thought I was criticizing Millen. I was not. I was asking that question to those (I think it was norm) that we’re saying Millen essentially has no way to know whether the kid is any good or not. It was sarcastic, which doesn’t translate well in the written word.
And I don’t think you’ll ever see me touting my internet football genius on here. I certainly have my opinions, but they are just that.

Reactions: mn78psu83 and Bob78

Maybe you thought I was criticizing Millen. I was not. I was asking that question to those (I think it was norm) that were saying Millen essentially has no way to know whether the kid is any good or not. It was sarcastic, which doesn’t translate well in the written word.
And I don’t think you’ll ever see me touting my internet football genius on here. I certainly have my opinions, but they are just that.

Yeah, I did not read your answer as being critical at all; in fact, supporting Millen's access and ability to analyze.
But I could be wrong, and you could be yet another interwebs SOB. ;) In fact, now that I think about it....!!!! :mad:

;)

i kno

Respectfully, dmd, I think you misread Connorpozlee's intent.

Agree with all you say about Millen being an all-time PSU player.

Yeah, I did not read your answer as being critical at all; in fact, supporting Millen's access and ability to analyze.
But I could be wrong, and you could be yet another interwebs SOB. ;) In fact, now that I think about it....!!!! :mad:

;)

I know many on here don’t like Millen’s color commentating but I actually do. I find him to be pretty straight forward.

Sorry if

Maybe you thought I was criticizing Millen. I was not. I was asking that question to those (I think it was norm) that we’re saying Millen essentially has no way to know whether the kid is any good or not. It was sarcastic, which doesn’t translate well in the written word.

Sorry If misinterpreted.

I just get very defensive of those who try to downgrade MM when he is one of the most influential and important PSU legends.

He gets ridiculed incessantly on these boards by nobodies who have done nothing.

Matt puts himself out there and he has meant so much to PSU.
Thanks and sorry if I was overly defensive and misinterpreted your post.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
I know many on here don’t like Millen’s color commentating but I actually do. I find him to be pretty straight forward.

I'm actually ok with his commentary, even with the repetitive cliches.

I'm not happy that he chose to not defend JVP back in '11 and '12. But then, he and Paul Suhey remain very close friends to this day, and Paul ditched JVP over lack of playing time for his son.
But that doesn't take away any concern for his health or the recognition that he has a very outgoing and engaging personality.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
Sorry if

Sorry If misinterpreted.

I just get very defensive of those who try to downgrade MM when he is one of the most influential and important PSU legends.

He gets ridiculed incessantly on these boards by nobodies who have done nothing.

Matt puts himself out there and he has meant so much to PSU.
Thanks and sorry if I was overly defensive and misinterpreted your post.

My opinion, FWIW, has been that Matt is emotional. That works both for and against him. As a GM, once he decided he really liked someone, he let his emotions overvalue that player. That got him in trouble in the draft by making too many reaches.

Personally I like that in the color role during broadcasts. It makes some people upset when he goes all in for an opposing player, but the BIG isn’t paying him to be a “homer.” They pay him to add to the broadcast, which he does well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT