ADVERTISEMENT

O.T. NYC Getaway...

Oh, it's a great experience and the food is really good. But, we had nearly a $500 bill for two of us for dinner. I love Italian food, but it's great because it's so simple. We're not big fish eaters either so at some point, you're paying for pasta, sauce, and maybe some shrimp. I'm not one to worry much about how much anything costs, but we spent the same or more at other places (Gramercy Tavern) and felt it was more 'worth it'. Personal preference and all...
The front room at the Gramercy Tavern, when Colicchio was there, was my all time favorite restaurant. Not haute cuisine, but the perfect balance of excellent food and comfort, accompanied by great service and atmosphere.

I'm piggy backing on this thread since we are also heading there to ask about getting to NYC from the Balt/DC area.

I was thinking of taking the train but that seems somewhat pricey. I do NOT want to drive into Manhattan (we are staying in mid-town). Was thinking of driving up to Jersey and parking my car for the weekend somewhere. I know there used to be some hotels near the Meadowlands complex that let you park in their lots and take the bus into center-city but that was years ago. I've even considered taking Megabus or something from the Baltimore area.

Any recommendations in terms of getting there?

I'm piggy backing on this thread since we are also heading there to ask about getting to NYC from the Balt/DC area.

I was thinking of taking the train but that seems somewhat pricey. I do NOT want to drive into Manhattan (we are staying in mid-town). Was thinking of driving up to Jersey and parking my car for the weekend somewhere. I know there used to be some hotels near the Meadowlands complex that let you park in their lots and take the bus into center-city but that was years ago. I've even considered taking Megabus or something from the Baltimore area.

Any recommendations in terms of getting there?
Here you go. Drive to Hamilton New Jersey and take the New Jersey Transit train (not Amtrak). NJT will add about 25 minutes to the trip (over Amtrak) but it's fairly cheap. $16.25 Adults, $7.35 Child/Seniors/Disabled. Hamilton has free parking, it's well lit, and very easy to get in and out. Trenton is mess.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...f72609fb9127cb5!8m2!3d40.255183!4d-74.7038818

Here is a link for Schedules and Pricing. Choose the Train option.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=MainTo

Here you go. Drive to Hamilton New Jersey and take the New Jersey Transit train (not Amtrak). NJT will add about 25 minutes to the trip (over Amtrak) but it's fairly cheap. $16.25 Adults, $7.35 Child/Seniors/Disabled. Hamilton has free parking, it's well lit, and very easy to get in and out. Trenton is mess.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...f72609fb9127cb5!8m2!3d40.255183!4d-74.7038818

Thanks!

In my opinion, the northern end of Central Park is overlooked and under appreciated. One of my favorites things to do is to start in the Upper West Side, at 'The Pool' near the 103rd Street Subway stop and walk north east along what is called The Loch walking path. I prefer the path on the southern side of the ravine. Some nice waterfalls, Glen Span and Huddlestone arches, etc. and it brings you out at the Harlem Meer at the NE corner of the park. The Conservatory Garden runs along Fifth Avenue, right below the Harlem Meer and are across the street from the Museum of the City of New York and El Museo del Barrio.

If you decide to do the Met Museum, check out their Roof Garden, which also has a small bar. It can get crowded, but it's open until 8pm on Fri&Sat and watching the sun start to set over Central Park and the skyline of the Upper West Side is pretty special.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the northern end of Central Park is overlooked and under appreciated. One of my favorites things to do is to start in the Upper West Side, at 'The Pool' near the 103rd Street Subway stop and walk north east along what is called The Loch walking path. I prefer the path on the southern side of the ravine. Some nice waterfalls, Glen Span and Huddlestone arches, etc. and it brings you out at the Harlem Meer at the NE corner of the park. The Conservatory Garden runs along Fifth Avenue, right below the Harlem Meer and are across the street from the Museum of the City of New York and El Museo del Barrio.

If you decide to do the Met Museum, check out their Roof Garden, which also has a small bar. It can get crowded, but it's open until 8pm on Fri&Sat and watching the sun start to set over Central Park and the skyline of the Upper West Side is pretty special.
Not that big a met fan. Just overwhelmingly big, and fewer “wow” moments than other great museums.

Not that big a met fan. Just overwhelmingly big, and fewer “wow” moments than other great museums.

The problem with the Met, like any big museum is that it's too much to handle at one time. It's better to focus on certain exhibit of a few collections and call it a day. Smaller museums like the Frick, Neue Galerie, Guggenheim are easier to absorb in one shot. The Brooklyn Museum is a fine museum that gets overlooked because it's in Brooklyn.

Heading to a bachelor party in Brooklyn this weekend. Any must see/go-to places?

Thanks in advance

Heading to a bachelor party in Brooklyn this weekend. Any must see/go-to places?

Thanks in advance

You can visit my childhood home in Bensonhurst.
Bensonhurst is where French Connection, Saturday Night Fever and other films were made. You can see my high school, which is the one on beginning of Welcome Back Kotter
I also recommend Brooklyn museum. Was there last year and really enjoyed it. Also is fun to go into various neighborhoods and walk around and eat. Brooklyn brewery in Williamsburg does a good tour. Brooklyn also has a very good Chinatown, better now than the original. Some great restaurants there.

Reactions: Kmase21
You can visit my childhood home in Bensonhurst.
Bensonhurst is where French Connection, Saturday Night Fever and other films were made. You can see my high school, which is the one on beginning of Welcome Back Kotter
I also recommend Brooklyn museum. Was there last year and really enjoyed it. Also is fun to go into various neighborhoods and walk around and eat. Brooklyn brewery in Williamsburg does a good tour. Brooklyn also has a very good Chinatown, better now than the original. Some great restaurants there.
119, where exactly is Brooklyn's Chinatown? Also, while in Manhattan last month we decided take the L into Williamsburg. We made the mistake of thinking we could just walk around and find places. Not so lucky. We must have been in the wrong part of Williamsburg. Next time we'll go more prepared.

119, where exactly is Brooklyn's Chinatown? Also, while in Manhattan last month we decided take the L into Williamsburg. We made the mistake of thinking we could just walk around and find places. Not so lucky. We must have been in the wrong part of Williamsburg. Next time we'll go more prepared.

It is around 7th-8th Ave and in the 40s and 50s, in Sunset Park neighborhood.
I thought the L was now out of service for huge repairs? Unless it hasn't started yet. I live in NJ now, get back to Bklyn every once in a while. My old Italian haunts are pretty much gone.

Reactions: nits74
I've been told by my wife that we, along with another couple, will be taking an Amtrak from Pa to New York for a long weekend this year, late summer or fall.. I also have been told that we will be going to stay in the Times Square area, seeing Wicked, Drunk Shakespeare, and who knows what.

Any suggestions for eats, drinks, and stays?
Thanks in advance, The Catamounts.

Pub Crawl

It is around 7th-8th Ave and in the 40s and 50s, in Sunset Park neighborhood.
I thought the L was now out of service for huge repairs? Unless it hasn't started yet. I live in NJ now, get back to Bklyn every once in a while. My old Italian haunts are pretty much gone.
OK, thanks. L still running as of end of July.

Btw this worked great...although Hamilton no longer has free parking but it was only like $8 a day to park. Thanks again for the advice.

My itinerary as I know it. Arrive at Penn Station Thursday 9/6. Check in to the Kimpton Muse in Times Square. Scout out restaurants and bars. Friday - the Met Art Museum and Drunk Shakespeare. Saturday - 911 Memorial, Washington Square, find a PSU bar to watch the game. Sunday - general touring and Wicked. Home Monday.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT