ADVERTISEMENT

O.T. NYC Getaway...

Pa_catamount

Jul 26, 2001
I've been told by my wife that we, along with another couple, will be taking an Amtrak from Pa to New York for a long weekend this year, late summer or fall.. I also have been told that we will be going to stay in the Times Square area, seeing Wicked, Drunk Shakespeare, and who knows what.

Any suggestions for eats, drinks, and stays?
Thanks in advance, The Catamounts.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I've been told by my wife that we, along with another couple, will be taking an Amtrak from Pa to New York for a long weekend this year, late summer or fall.. I also have been told that we will be going to stay in the Times Square area, seeing Wicked, Drunk Shakespeare, and who knows what.

What do you like to eat and what are you interested in seeing? Lot of folks here who can give you terrific advice, but it will help if you can narrow it down.

Sounds like a great trip! What are the food preferences of your party? What kind of accommodations do you like? What sorts of shows are you interested in?

Sounds like a nice trip. I’m interested in the responses as well. I’m interested in a hotel or 3 person suite in midtown, want to see a few shows (not necessarily musicals) and eat in some of the better restaurants - last time went to one of Daniel Balaud’s places, and un deux trois, and a few others. I’d hit the museums, or south street seaport during the day, maybe Chinatown or the SoHo galleries, a nice pre theater dinner, and a show. Plan to stay about 4 days. Suggestions welcome. I’m willing to splurge within reason. Thanks

Sounds like a nice trip. I’m interested in the responses as well. I’m interested in a hotel or 3 person suite in midtown, want to see a few shows (not necessarily musicals) and eat in some of the better restaurants - last time went to one of Daniel Balaud’s places, and un deux trois, and a few others. I’d hit the museums, or south street seaport during the day, maybe Chinatown or the SoHo galleries, a nice pre theater dinner, and a show. Plan to stay about 4 days. Suggestions welcome. I’m willing to splurge within reason. Thanks
We go several times a year and for the last dozen years or so have been staying at the Warwick on 54th and Sixth. Good location. Very old school historic and traditional New York hotel. A bit more of a personal touch in my opinion. Depends on what you like, though. Right across from MOMA and close to Central Park, other museums and theater district. To get to Soho you can take either the 6 or R train (R is a little closer to the hotel). I'll leave it to the NYC residents for restaurant suggestions. They know what they're talking about from my experience.

Uncle Jack's Steakhouse

Reactions: JoeFi
Yeah, after a four day NYC getaway....be sure you also plan your getaway from NYC. Place is a shithole.

Jk OP, kinda. Did +10yrs there and didn’t always appreciate just how amazing the city is until traveling to other ‘world class cities’ that in many ways, pale to NYC. Though, I am confident few other places in the world could elicit such a love / hate relationship on a daily basis from living there.

What specifically are you looking for?

I just took my team to dinner at Il Mulino on West 3rd Street. If you like classic Italian, it’s hard to beat.

Reactions: nits74

Do you have to stay in midtown? It’s what everyone outside of the city thinks Manhattan is but it’s a tourist trap. You can still take pictures in Times Square and see Wicked (it’s awesome) if you stay elsewhere in the city. JMO.

We did a similar trip a few years back taking Amtrack from BWI for our 30th wedding anniversary. We stayed at a Wyndham owned hotel, closer to Penn Station. If you like Italian, we had a very good meal at Trattoria Trecolori, on W47th, right near the theatre district, where we saw Phantom.

We didn't leave a stone unturned for three days, going to top of the Rock, Empire State Bldg, having corned beef where Harry met Sally, seeing 911 memorial, bike riding in Central Park, walking across Brooklyn Bridge, visiting Met Museum of Art, and boat ride to Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty.

If you're adventurous like us, look into buying the NY Pass.

This is your chance to delve into all sorts of cuisine and have an adventure. When we stay in midtown on these types of trips we walk over to the Hells Kitchn area every day for lunch and try something we will never get in our neighborhood.

Be it Indian, Thai, spanish, Mexican, Cuban, Italian, Brazilian, Peruvian, Latin American, Lebanese, all small restaurants, some a bit dumpy, but all serving killer food you will not get at home.

We typically stay at the Westin Grand Central when we visit but that's in large part because of its proximity to my wife's offices there. The other hotel we stay at is the Shelburne Affinia on Murray Hill (also known as 'curry hill' because of all the Indian restaurants). Both are fine, but the Shelburne is a bit less busy and they have a free daily happy hour in their lobby for guests (wine, beer). It also has a pretty good restaurant/bar that is burger heavy. Their rooms are also a bit bigger - thinking morre of two room suites (noting the Westin has the mini-bar advantage). Both are in great locations IMO for getting around Manhattan.

https://www.affinia.com/shelburne/rooms-suites

http://www.westinnewyorkgrandcentral.com/

As for food, you can go almost anywhere and get a great meal. One place I always suggest (because it's delicious, affordable, and close to Broadway for the most part) is Le Relais de Venise L'Entrecote on 590 Lexington Ave. (on the corner of 52nd St.). It originated in Paris and is a no frills, very affordable steak frites place. There isn't a menu - just tell the server how you want your meat cooked and that's that. You get bread, a salad, two plates of steak, fries, and their amazing special sauce for about $29 per person. You can also get a bottle of house wine for less than $30. I think they opened a second location in SoHo. In Paris, where I first discovered the restaurant, locals ate there as much tourists and there is almost always a line (noting they flip tables pretty quickly as their system is run to near perfection).

courtesy-Le-Relais-de-Venise.jpg

http://www.relaisdevenise.com/

I have some show recommendations too but sounds like you have that covered for the most part. Wicked is great and Defying Gravity is one of the all time best, and most difficult, songs to sing and it's a real treat to see live. Enjoy!

Where are you boarding Amtrak? Have taken the trip from Pittsburgh numerous times. Long, but can be interesting. The trip home is tedious and it doesn't help that you're worn out from the weekend. Because of that, we've taken to driving of late. Now if you're just coming from the eastern part of the state, no problem. As for plays checkout a site called Entertainment Link. They list all plays, with a synopsis, both Broadway and off. Good luck and enjoy. Just a great, great city.

Yeah, after a four day NYC getaway....be sure you also plan your getaway from NYC. Place is a shithole.

Jk OP, kinda. Did +10yrs there and didn’t always appreciate just how amazing the city is until traveling to other ‘world class cities’ that in many ways, pale to NYC. Though, I am confident few other places in the world could elicit such a love / hate relationship on a daily basis from living there.

What specifically are you looking for?
Al Kooper. "New York City (You're a Woman)"

This. (9/11 not Wicked). Took my son last year and he keeps asking when we can go back. The elevator ride to the top of WTC is really cool.

Yikes! For those of us with a near pathological fear of heights even the still image of that video is terrifying. Can't imagine pushing "play" and actually watching it.

Wife and I go once a year to see a show. Our plan usually includes one meal from a street vendor which we eat in Times Square and just have fun hanging out if the weather is nice. Also some good PSU bars in Manhattan. We watched the Iowa game last year at Proper West and had a blast. Good bar food too.

Really responding to watch this thread. Also if anyone can chime in on Bruce on Broadway I keep bouncing it back and forth and haven't been able to pull the trigger. Need a nudge to do it but probably not a big nudge.

1. Get your ass on stub hub, bite the bullet, and buy two tix to the Springsteen show if it is still running.
2. Dinner: 53d and lex neighborhood- Luna piena. Italian. Quiet. Good but not pretentious.
3. Pre theater meal - cafe un du trois on 44 between 6 and 7. Great pre show atmosphere at classic French cafe. Occasional celebs (we saw lithgow)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitwit
Yikes! For those of us with a near pathological fear of heights even the still image of that video is terrifying. Can't imagine pushing "play" and actually watching it.
I can do heights, but can’t do edges any more. Naturally, I was nominated to photograph mrs aardvarks descent and ascent in a glacial crevasse on our recent Iceland trip.

Reactions: Madsol
Here are a few suggestions:

Food:

Financial Distict steak: Harry's Cafe and Steak (old school), Capital Grille, Bobby Vans
Italian: Scalini Fedeli (Tribeca)
Mexican: very casual (financial district). Mad Dog and Beans

Here are a few things you might want to see:

St Patrick's Cathedral
Rockefeller Center
World Trade Center & Museum
China Town
Little Italy
Central Park
Chelsea Market
Status of Liberty
Wall Street
NY Yankees Game
While not a wife event, intrepid museum is way cool. +1 to st pats as well

Really responding to watch this thread. Also if anyone can chime in on Bruce on Broadway I keep bouncing it back and forth and haven't been able to pull the trigger. Need a nudge to do it but probably not a big nudge.
DOITDOITDOITDOIT!!!!!!

To hell with the nudge. I’ll give you a kick in the ass. Unbelievable personal show. And I’m not a historical Springsteen groupie.

Here is a link for the hotels in the Times Square area. Change the dates for updated pricing. By zooming in and out you'll see more or fewer hotels. When staying in this area I usually pick something between 44th and 48th within two blocks of Broadway.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/...,15.5z/data=!4m5!2m4!5m3!5m2!1s2018-09-07!2i3

For Pizza in the area go to John's on 44th st between 7th and 8th ave. Brick oven pizza that's very good in an old church. It's unique.
http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/

For Italian, I like the Italian district in the Bronx. There are many restaurants and since it's out a bit you typically don't have the crowds that Little Italy in lower Manhattan gets. The area is right by Fordham University (go Joe Moorhead!). Put yourself on Arthur Ave around 187th st and should be smack in the middle. The Bronx Zoo is just a few blocks away if interested.
Here's a link. As always the number of things shown changes as you zoom in and out. I never make reservations here...just go and read the menus until you can't resist.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/arthur+avenue+restaurants/@40.8546666,-73.8883403,17.5z

Here is a link for the hotels in the Times Square area. Change the dates for updated pricing. By zooming in and out you'll see more or fewer hotels. When staying in this area I usually pick something between 44th and 48th within two blocks of Broadway.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/...,15.5z/data=!4m5!2m4!5m3!5m2!1s2018-09-07!2i3

For Pizza in the area go to John's on 44th st between 7th and 8th ave. Brick oven pizza that's very good in an old church. It's unique.
http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/

For Italian, I like the Italian district in the Bronx. There are many restaurants and since it's out a bit you typically don't have the crowds that Little Italy in lower Manhattan gets. The area is right by Fordham University (go Joe Moorhead!). Put yourself on Arthur Ave around 187th st and should be smack in the middle. The Bronx Zoo is just a few blocks away if interested.
Here's a link. As always the number of things shown changes as you zoom in and out. I never make reservations here...just go and read the menus until you can't resist.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/arthur+avenue+restaurants/@40.8546666,-73.8883403,17.5z
Incidentally, re: hotels, we typically stay a little away from Times Square/Broadway area itself as it's a bit over the top in terms of the crowds. There is a decent Marriott and a W on Lex, around 49/50, that you can usually find a decent deal on travel sites. If you are inclined to do Central Park, it's a little nearer a midpoint for walking purposes to either TS or CP/

Where you stay in the Times Square area and where you eat in the city will depend on your budget. There are scores of places to stay in that area with various price points. A Google search for "Times Square Lodging" will display the options and prices.

Don't know your food preferences but if you're a big meat eater then the one place I would suggest would be Churrascaria Platforma on West 49th between 8th and 9th Ave. It's Brazilian. https://plataformaonline.com/

If you like Italian food then try Carmines in Times Square but bring your appetite because the portions are large. https://www.carminesnyc.com/locations/times-square

Reservations are suggested for the aforementioned.

If you want to add an extra day to your trip and go off the grid, rent a car for a day and drive out to the Hamptons and more specifically Sag Harbor. If this is something you think you might want to do, let me know and I'll give you an entire day's itinerary including some great places to see and eat.

One last thing, if you are not coming with show tickets in hand, there is a place in Times Square that sells discount Theater Tickets for same day performances. Its an outdoor walk up arrangement that sell tickets for up to 50% off. https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Where you stay in the Times Square area and where you eat in the city will depend on your budget. There are scores of places to stay in that area with various price points. A Google search for "Times Square Lodging" will display the options and prices.

Don't know your food preferences but if you're a big meat eater then the one place I would suggest would be Churrascaria Platforma on West 49th between 8th and 9th Ave. It's Brazilian. https://plataformaonline.com/

If you like Italian food then try Carmines in Times Square but bring your appetite because the portions are large. https://www.carminesnyc.com/locations/times-square

Reservations are suggested for the aforementioned.

If you want to add an extra day to your trip and go off the grid, rent a car for a day and drive out to the Hamptons and more specifically Sag Harbor. If this is something you think you might want to do, let me know and I'll give you an entire day's itinerary including some great places to see and eat.

One last thing, if you are not coming with show tickets in hand, there is a place in Times Square that sells discount Theater Tickets for same day performances. Its an outdoor walk up arrangement that sell tickets for up to 50% off. https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths

Hope this helps.

If you want a fun eating experience go to Ellen’s Stardust Diner. It is located around 50 or 51st and either 7th Ave. or Broadway. Has pretty good deli food but what makes it unique are their waiters and waitresses. They are all Broadway performers that are between shows. In addition to serving food, they perform songs, etc. The talent is unreal and we always enjoy the experience.

Here are a few suggestions:

Food:

Financial Distict steak: Harry's Cafe and Steak (old school), Capital Grille, Bobby Vans
Italian: Scalini Fedeli (Tribeca)
Mexican: very casual (financial district). Mad Dog and Beans

Here are a few things you might want to see:

St Patrick's Cathedral
Rockefeller Center
World Trade Center & Museum
China Town
Little Italy
Central Park
Chelsea Market
Status of Liberty
Wall Street
NY Yankees Game

To the post above, where Harry met Sally is called Katz's deli, and is on Houston St (pronounced with the H, so it's not like the Texas City), which is the northern fringe of the lower east side. I'd suggest ordering the parstrami rather than corned beef, as they are famous for pastrami. Fries are great there too. That area has some cool, trendy bars and restaurants. Chinatown is a shell of what it was, and many of the good restaurants are gone. Chinese have moved north into little Italy and higher. Better Chinatowns are in Brooklyn and Queens. Great food and markets there.
Little Italy is nothing with nothing, except Ferrara's for espresso and pastry. I'd say go to Katz and eat, then walk west on Houston to Soho and Tribeca. Lots of things to see there. Then further West to meat packing district, again many trendy places, and walk the Highline. Eat there at Buddakan on 9th Ave. Great food, tho not cheap.
Hell's Kitchen as mentioned offers many small, good eateries, that won't cost an arm and leg. Upper west side is a fun area to walk around also.
Can't tell you where to stay as I drive in from NJ

A few of my favorites (from someone who has been living in Manhattan now for over 20 years, albeit the last 10 with young kids) (sorry for the length):

Central Park - just walking through it, stopping to listen to a random jazz quartet, watching a magician or puppeteer perform, taking a row boat out near the Boathouse and toward Bethesda Fountain, walking through the Central Park Zoo, climbing to the top of Belvedere Castle, walking through the Ramble and simply taking in the beautiful bridges and foliage, running around the reservoir, a horse carriage ride, skating in Wolman Rink (in the winter) with the skyline as your backdrop - a million things to do, all free or on the cheap, and never gets tiring

Brooklyn Bridge: one of the most picturesque in the world. Walking over it toward Brooklyn with downtown Manhattan behind you and then eating at Grimaldi's Pizza (if going around lunch) or Peter Lugers (if going around dinner) plus Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory as your reward at the end of the walk (there's also a beautiful carousel in Brooklyn Bridge Park that you should visit).

Either Top of the Rock, One World Trade or Empire State building for an amazing view of the city: They each have their pros. Top of the Rock has the best view and you can grab a drink at the Rainbow Room, Empire State Building has the history and cache and you can catch jazz (I think on Thursday through Saturday nights) (they also have a virtual ride inside), and One World is very modern and tech with the elevator with the virtual panels that show the City evolving as you go up, tablets that give you information on your surroundings as you walk around, etc.(and, of course, you have the 9/11 memorial right downstairs, which is a must).

Staten Island Ferry, Circle Line or the Beast: If you still want more photos of the skyline or Statute of Liberty (without actually going there - which I would forego), any of these are good options. Staten Island Ferry is free, Circle Line will give you a bit more of a tour, and the Beast (a speedboat) will essentially give you a nice tour and photo opp of downtown and the Statute of Liberty with a bit of a wet-thrill included. My kids ask to do the Beast every year and the tour guide has come to know my kids and knows that they love to be soaked with the super soaker. So, if you see a 10-year old in a PSU shirt, and you don't want to get wet - don't sit near him.

Museums: This is personal. Kids love the Natural History and the Hayden Planetarium, the Met is for anyone who loves art generally (a wide variety and huge), the MOMA if you love modern, and the Guggenheim if you like expressionist/contemporary and sometimes fairly eclectic exhibits or want to simply enjoy the architecture of the building.

Shows: Again personal. My current favorites out of the ones currently out would be Wicked (just love the theme and songs), Hamilton (cool juxtaposition of Broadway/rap music/American history), Lion King (great music and a spectacle), Book of Mormon (funny) and Aladdin. If you can get tix and are a Harry Potter fan, that just hit Broadway and gets great reviews (albeit it requires two shows). Haven't seen Bruce yet, but it's on my list and it also gets amazing reviews.

Food: If expense is not an issue, my favorites would be: Daniel, Momofuku Ko, Sushi of Gari, Il Mulino, Babbo, Dirty French (their bread is reason enough to go), Eleven Madison, Peter Luger. For mid-range, I'm a personal fan of pretty much any of the Tao places (Tao Downtown, Lavo, Beauty & Essex, Vandal, Bodega Negra, Rue 57). Bottom line - hard to go wrong here. You can pretty much grab a slice of pizza from any pizza place or a burger from Shake Shack (though I prefer JG Mellon) and be happy.

Last edited:
A few of my favorites (from someone who has been living in Manhattan now for almost 20 years, albeit the last 10 with young kids) (sorry for the length):

Central Park - just walking through it, stopping to listen to a random jazz quartet, watching a magician or puppeteer perform, taking a row boat out near the Boathouse and toward Bethesda Fountain, walking through the Central Park Zoo, climbing to the top of Belvedere Castle, walking through the Ramble and simply taking in the beautiful bridges and foliage, running around the reservoir, a horse carriage ride, skating in Wolman Rink (in the winter) with the skyline as your backdrop - a million things to do, all free or on the cheap, and never gets tiring

Brooklyn Bridge: one of the most picturesque in the world. Walking over it toward Brooklyn with downtown Manhattan behind you and then eating at Grimaldi's Pizza (if going around lunch) or Peter Lugers (if going around dinner) plus Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory as your reward at the end of the walk (there's also a beautiful carousel in Brooklyn Bridge Park that you should visit).

Either Top of the Rock, One World Trade or Empire State building for an amazing view of the city: They each have their pros. Top of the Rock has the best view and you can grab a drink at the Rainbow Room, Empire State Building has the history and cache and you can catch jazz (I think on Thursday through Saturday nights) (they also have a virtual ride inside), and One World is very modern and tech with the elevator with the virtual panels that show the City evolving as you go up, tablets that give you information on your surroundings as you walk around, etc.(and, of course, you have the 9/11 memorial right downstairs, which is a must).

Staten Island Ferry, Circle Line or the Beast: If you still want more photos of the skyline or Statute of Liberty (without actually going there - which I would forego), any of these are good options. Staten Island Ferry is free, Circle Line will give you a bit more of a tour, and the Beast (a speedboat) will essentially give you a nice tour and photo opp of downtown and the Statute of Liberty with a bit of a wet-thrill included. My kids ask to do the Beast every year and the tour guide has come to know my kids and knows that they love to be soaked with the super soaker. So, if you see a 10-year old in a PSU shirt, and you don't want to get wet - don't sit near him.

Museums: This is personal. Kids love the Natural History and the Hayden Planetarium, the Met is for anyone who loves art generally (a wide variety and huge), the MOMA if you love modern, and the Guggenheim if you like expressionist/contemporary and sometimes fairly eclectic exhibits or want to simply enjoy the architecture of the building.

Shows: Again personal. My current favorites out of the ones currently out would be Wicked (just love the theme and songs), Hamilton (cool juxtaposition of Broadway/rap music/American history), Lion King (great music and a spectacle), Book of Mormon (funny) and Aladdin. If you can get tix and are a Harry Potter fan, that just hit Broadway and gets great reviews (albeit it requires two shows). Haven't seen Bruce yet, but it's on my list and it also gets amazing reviews.

Food: Hard to go wrong here. If expense is not an issue, my favorites would be: Daniel, Momofuku Ko, Sushi of Gari, Il Mulino, Babbo, Dirty French (their bread is reason enough to go), Eleven Madison, Peter Luger. For mid-range, I'm a personal fan of pretty much any of the Tao places (Tao Downtown, Lavo, Beauty & Essex, Vandal, Bodega Negra, Rue 57).

This is great! Pocketing for my next visit. Eleven Madison was named best restaurant in the world recently by some publication. I went to Babbo a couple of years ago and didn't think it was worth it.

Reactions: nits74
This is great! Pocketing for my next visit. Eleven Madison was named best restaurant in the world recently by some publication. I went to Babbo a couple of years ago and didn't think it was worth it.

Don't disagree with you, but it's my wife's personal favorite so I threw it in there (she actually went into labor after eating there). Their mint love letters is one of my favorite pasta dishes anywhere, though.

Eleven Madison Park opened a pop up in East Hampton last summer while they were remodeling their city location. Ate there and it was like mehhh.

•Liked EMP, but Daniel was better.
•Get sweets at Milk Bar.
•Check out Atera in Tribeca for quirky but amazing tasting menu.
•Agree with any David Chang/Momofuku place being great.
•Jean George was outstanding; best service ever. Great lunch value.
•Le Bernardin for seafood.
•Babbo was good, but Del Posto is the new flagship of Mario Batali's empire.

Don't disagree with you, but it's my wife's personal favorite so I threw it in there (she actually went into labor after eating there). Their mint love letters is one of my favorite pasta dishes anywhere, though.

Oh, it's a great experience and the food is really good. But, we had nearly a $500 bill for two of us for dinner. I love Italian food, but it's great because it's so simple. We're not big fish eaters either so at some point, you're paying for pasta, sauce, and maybe some shrimp. I'm not one to worry much about how much anything costs, but we spent the same or more at other places (Gramercy Tavern) and felt it was more 'worth it'. Personal preference and all...

Just stayed at the W in times square go to the LR on the 7th floor. Great time. Also Sparks steakhouse we had a great meal

If you visit Chinatown, be sure to walk down Doyers St. It feels like a movie scene, and supposedly there's some Chinese gang history there from 100 years ago. And if it's still on Doyers St, grab a cocktail or two from a hidden speakeasy called Apotheke. Expensive, but delicious. You would walk right past it if you didn't know it was there.

Speaking of walking, that's my favorite way to enjoy the city. Especially downtown, in SoHo, the village, lower east side, etc. Just wander around and see the shops, eateries and people.

As for food, I was a Manhattan foodie many years ago, and one thing I learned is that different people appreciate different kinds of food and want different things from restaurants (food, service, atmosphere). Try to take dining advice from like-minded people. My only advice would be to go for something you are unlikely to experience elsewhere.

Finally, if you like weird music in a no frills setting, check out the Stone. Chances are you will hate the music there.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT