ADVERTISEMENT

O.T. Charleston S.C. visit...

Pa_catamount

Jul 26, 2001
My wife and I along with another couple are looking into a late Oct. or early Nov. trip to Charleston. None of us have ever ben there so I'm looking to suggestions on where to stay, eat, drink, and sight see.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

My wife and I along with another couple are looking into a late Oct. or early Nov. trip to Charleston. None of us have ever been there so I'm looking to suggestions on where to stay, eat, drink, and sight see.

Was just down there for our honeymoon. The poster above was partly right, driving down to Savannah and doing the trolley tour is worth the trip. Just start early if you do that.

In Charleston, the food along Shem Creek is my favorite. We ate at Vickery's and really liked it, same with Shem Creek Bar & Grill. In downtown Charleston, Slightly North of Broad is a great place for lunch, really enjoyed the food and wine there. We took the nighttime Sandlapper Harbor tour, it was really nice as well. If you are looking for some time at the shore, Folly beach would be my recommendation. Quiet and peaceful. Good Luck!

Was just down there for our honeymoon. The poster above was partly right, driving down to Savannah and doing the trolley tour is worth the trip. Just start early if you do that.

In Charleston, the food along Shem Creek is my favorite. We ate at Vickery's and really liked it, same with Shem Creek Bar & Grill. In downtown Charleston, Slightly North of Broad is a great place for lunch, really enjoyed the food and wine there. We took the nighttime Sandlapper Harbor tour, it was really nice as well. If you are looking for some time at the shore, Folly beach would be my recommendation. Quiet and peaceful. Good Luck!

Nothing against Savannah. Going there myself at the end of October, when part of my time will be with the PSAA Civil War Tour in Savannah. Looking forward to this.

That said, having been to Charleston, I know you don't have to spend time driving to to Savannah to get enough good meals to fill up any vacation. And, I am certain that there are, shall we say several, other good eating establishments in Savannah.

BTW, you are not the first to give me good reviews on the trolley trip, and I believe that is on the PSAA tour itinerary.

My wife and children visited this summer. I would recommend visiting the open markets and from there taking a horse drawn carriage ride. My wife and I really enjoyed this. Also, we found really good dinner choices on East Bay Street. We really liked Southern Brewery for their food and atmosphere.

Go to Husk, McGrady's, and Hominy Grill. All great Southern food.
Make reservations as soon as you can if you want to go to Husk. It usually books up quickly.

Reactions: bytir
My wife and I along with another couple are looking into a late Oct. or early Nov. trip to Charleston. None of us have ever ben there so I'm looking to suggestions on where to stay, eat, drink, and sight see.

I love Charleston, SC. One of the best cities to dine in if you love some low country fare like myself.

Best place that I've been to is Magnolias.... you won't be disappointed, but it isn't the cheapest place around:

http://magnoliascharleston.com/

If you're interested in heading outside the downtown area, you can check out the Charleston Tea Plantation or Irvin House Vineyards. The wine at the vineyard isn't particularly good, but the vineyard also has an on-site distillery called "Firefly". The wine and / or distillery tastings are fun (although the distillery tasting is more to my liking). The tea plantation offers tours around the plantation several times per hour and also offers a quick video guided tour of its production facility.

The other suggestions above are good. Savannah if you've got a day is worth the trip for the guided trolley tour. A horse drawn tour of Charleston is fun and while you're downtown, check out the open air market.

You can hardly go wrong. So much to see, do, eat, and drink.

If budget permits, stay in or near the historic district; you can drive around to get your bearings or walk. If you have time to get outside the city, go out to the beach areas and nearby islands. For restaurants, there are many, many good choices. Describe your preferences and check with the locals.

Was there last fall for the basketball tourney. I stayed near the College of Charleston at the Hampton Inn but other options close.
Plenty of restaurants within walking distance (5 to 10 minutes) Harbor about 20 minutes on foot. For higher end dining try Halls Chop House
and lunch Sticky Fingers Ribs. King and Meeting Sts. are full of shopping and places to eat. If you're interested in history don't forget to check
out local walking tours of the old city houses, in addition to other Civil War cites.

If you like history and want to see lots of impressive Charelston architecture, take the bus tour. You can include a tour of one of the old mansions.

Last edited:
If you are interested in History and or gardens, try Middleton Place - about 10-15 min. outside of Charleston. For what you would pay for a room at one of the nicer hotels downtown you get a unique experience, including free access to the plantation and gardens. At that time of year the gardens are relatively dormant, but the grounds still provide nice relaxing walks and there are still tours and other events happening.

Friends of our's ate at Hall's Chophouse and came back raving about it. Said that it was one of the very best dinning experiences they have ever had. Since these friends are in the restaurant business, and very well traveled, I would definitely recommend checking it out.

Reactions: palmettolion
Poogans Porch- one of my favorite Charleston restaurants. Biscuits served with the meal are amazing! Walk around the corner and have a glass of wine and appetizers at Bin 152 while you wait for your table. You won't be disappointed. Avoid Hymans Seafood- touristy and food is overrated. Stroll down the battery and take in the waterfront scenery. There's also a great place to see a sunset across the bridge towards Isle of Palms. If you're into the dive bar scene check out the Tattoed Moose. Bar food and cold beer that was featured on food network. Enjoy!!

I'll second Husk and also offer Low Country Bistro as a more reasonably priced downtown option. The sweet potato bacon cornbread waffle with half a fried chicken, pecan butter and bourbon syrup is pretty damn good. I'd offer Bowen Island Restaurant over any of the seafood places on Shem Creek. Ambience is not quite on the same level but the food is better imo and more reasonable as well. BBQ I'd go with Hometeam, Smoke or Swig and Swine.

Charleston Tea Plantation is a pretty good option, as is Middleton Plantation, Magnolia Gardens and Audubon Swamp Garden. There should also be quite a few outdoor festivals(food, music, etc.) around the time you're coming down as well.

If you're into craft beer I'd go with Holy City, Coast and Westbrook. Westbrook has the best beers and overall nicest ($$$) facilities. Coast does a great job and the people that show up there are pretty easy to talk to. The owners are from NJ and sent a few trucks up after Sandy to help out with needed supplies. Holy City isn't quite at the level of the other two, but for visiting a brewery theirs is the most fun to hang out at of the three. There are some other breweries as well but those are the best of the bunch.

If you like seafood and want to eat where the locals eat try the Seewee Restaurant in Awendaw. It's an hour north on Rte 17, the main inland highway between Charleston and Myrtle Beach. The restaurant is not fancy but the seafood is fresh and the cusine is authentic low country/soul food.

Boone Hall Plantation & Patriots Point for sights slightly out of town. The old market, the old French Huguenot Church, and lots of history downtown.

East Bay is a great place for finding restaurants, as is King St. I personally avoid Hymans, which is a tourist trap, but like A.W. Shucks at the MArket. Magnolias and Husk are highly recommend as are pretty much all the restaurants at Shem's Creek.

That reminds me…I need to go back down there soon.

I wouldn't stay in Charleston...I'd find a nice place on Kiawah Island. The restaurants, golf, tennis, biking are as good as anything you will find in the USA. The place is simply stunning.

Its about a 40 minute drive from Kiawah to Charleston so you can get a good day trip in for sight seeing and taking a horse drawn carriage ride..shopping...eating.....museum....antiquing...etc.

Kiawah is a quiet place so its not much of a "night life" place. But if you are looking for a beach, great outdoor fun and some of the best places to eat in the state, it is beyond compare. Just depends on what you are looking for.

My friend owns bar/restaurant called d.d. peckers where the psu alumni chapter meets on saturdays there to watch games. So if you want to watch a PSU game they meet/eat/drink there. He is originally from Bucks County in PA. Otherwise sightseeing others have posted so many of the things to see do. I also enjoy going out to folly beach to hang on the sand and have a nice lunch of a burger/beer at Rita's. Lots of great tours to see the town. If you like history Charleston is the place. Outdoor markets are great and there is also a water taxi to move to different points around town that gives you unique viewing of the shore line and buildings.

Friends of our's ate at Hall's Chophouse and came back raving about it. Said that it was one of the very best dinning experiences they have ever had. Since these friends are in the restaurant business, and very well traveled, I would definitely recommend checking it out.
Family owned, Billy Hall will greet you at the door and makes you feel like you're an old friend. Great steaks, full menu. Pricey and very busy even late. Definitely make reservations

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT