ADVERTISEMENT

UFF needs help

Unbiased_football_fan

Aug 18, 2006
Frederick, MD
I was able to arrange that my wife and kids go on a girls trip to Disney, while I "regrettably" stay "home" and take care of a geriatric dog. My plan is a 10-day fly fishing tour of Pennsylvania. Timeframe late May to early June. I am very familiar with most of the waters in a 15-25 mile radius of State College, and I have fished many other waters throughout the State. If anyone has advice on Northeast, Northcentral, or Northwest PA streams I would appreciate it. Looking for waters that are wadeable. Hatch, pattern, size, etc. I realize this can be extremely weather dependent but a generalization of "You can't miss the X Hatch on Y Stream around Z Dates" works. Any hole-in-the-wall to eat at that I shouldn't miss before an evening hatch of mayflys is a great bonus. I will have a kayak but will be mostly wading. Thank you in advance!!!

A free copy of WrestleSim to whomever gives the best advice!

UFF

I was able to arrange that my wife and kids go on a girls trip to Disney, while I "regrettably" stay "home" and take care of a geriatric dog. My plan is a 10-day fly fishing tour of Pennsylvania. Timeframe late May to early June. I am very familiar with most of the waters in a 15-25 mile radius of State College, and I have fished many other waters throughout the State. If anyone has advice on Northeast, Northcentral, or Northwest PA streams I would appreciate it. Looking for waters that are wadeable. Hatch, pattern, size, etc. I realize this can be extremely weather dependent but a generalization of "You can't miss the X Hatch on Y Stream around Z Dates" works. Any hole-in-the-wall to eat at that I shouldn't miss before an evening hatch of mayflys is a great bonus. I will have a kayak but will be mostly wading. Thank you in advance!!!

A free copy of WrestleSim to whomever gives the best advice!

UFF
What about the dog?

Reactions: 1AA
I have not fished the area extensively, but have walked 3 dachshunds along the streams with my wife. We had a floatation vest on each dog with a fabric handle on top. We would dip them in to keep them cool. They loved it.

When in the State College area be sure to call ahead to Duffy's Tavern in Boalsburg. They will arrange for you to eat outside with your dog. Ours had plenty of water and a huge cheeseburger with fries, split up on 3 plates. Your dog is family. Give your pup a memory that you'll both cherish.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Reactions: danoftw
I wish my brother in law was on the forum, he has fished all over northeast and central pa. Sadly, I am no help at all.

If you're looking in North central PA, I'd recommend the First Fork of the Sinnemahoning. There is a really nice delayed harvest section south of Wharton. Our camp is in the middle section near Costello. Tons of great fishing there. Route 872 pretty much parallels most of it.

Hatches I would be ready for are March browns, various caddis flies, green and brown drakes towards late May, early June, yellow and green sallies and Sulphurs.

The Potter County Pub in Costello is really good. I have heard the Willows in Sinnemahoning is really good but haven't eaten there.

Plenty of elk, deer and eagles around to look at also.

Word of caution. There are an abundance of rattlesnakes up here. So watch your step if it's hot. Especially if you're near George B Stevenson dam.

Kettle Creek is also up here, but I honestly don't know that much about it.

Reactions: slaterun
Bob's Creek in Pavia, Bedford County. Pretty much the same hatches as the First Fork, minus the brown drakes.

West Branch of the Susquehanna outside of Northern Cambria is loaded with wild brownies if you feel like venturing into western PA a little. 10 years or so ago, that stream was completely dead due to mine drainage. I seen some caddis and stoneflies there a couple weeks ago. There was a mayfly hatch, but I didn't ID it.

Reactions: slaterun
Haven’t lived in PA for a long time but I know a great place in San Diego where you can buy awesome fresh caught sea food! 😁
@AgSurfer can you email me at the google, I have a San Diego question dor you.

Email received, thanks AgSufer!

Last edited:
I have not fished the area extensively, but have walked 3 dachshunds along the streams with my wife. We had a floatation vest on each dog with a fabric handle on top. We would dip them in to keep them cool. They loved it.

When in the State College area be sure to call ahead to Duffy's Tavern in Boalsburg. They will arrange for you to eat outside with your dog. Ours had plenty of water and a huge cheeseburger with fries, split up on 3 plates. Your dog is family. Give your pup a memory that you'll both cherish.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.
Oh this is excellent! I have been to Duffy’s and planned on fishing Spring and Penn’s. Yes dog will be with me.

Reactions: APSPSUwrestlingfan
Bob's Creek in Pavia, Bedford County. Pretty much the same hatches as the First Fork, minus the brown drakes.

West Branch of the Susquehanna outside of Northern Cambria is loaded with wild brownies if you feel like venturing into western PA a little. 10 years or so ago, that stream was completely dead due to mine drainage. I seen some caddis and stoneflies there a couple weeks ago. There was a mayfly hatch, but I didn't ID it.
I have fished Bob’s before, it is a nice stream. I think that was mid to late June.

Reactions: Ski
If you're looking in North central PA, I'd recommend the First Fork of the Sinnemahoning. There is a really nice delayed harvest section south of Wharton. Our camp is in the middle section near Costello. Tons of great fishing there. Route 872 pretty much parallels most of it.

Hatches I would be ready for are March browns, various caddis flies, green and brown drakes towards late May, early June, yellow and green sallies and Sulphurs.

The Potter County Pub in Costello is really good. I have heard the Willows in Sinnemahoning is really good but haven't eaten there.

Plenty of elk, deer and eagles around to look at also.

Word of caution. There are an abundance of rattlesnakes up here. So watch your step if it's hot. Especially if you're near George B Stevenson dam.

Kettle Creek is also up here, but I honestly don't know that much about it.
Definitely try to work this in as a stop. Thank you!

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT