ADVERTISEMENT

NW-Duke... THAT was targeting??

N&B4PSU

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Just hit NW safety for targeting.

Hell, looked like it shouldn't even have been a penalty. Probably hit the receiver's facemask (not on purpose) so I guess they have to call it. But targeting? Oh my.

[Maybe the definition of targeting is... "if it appears a defensive player is trying to hit anyone on offense, they clearly are targeting their opponent and that's not permitted.]

Why bother trying to hit anybody? If they're trying to take defense out of the game and make the Big 12 more relevant, I guess they're doing a good job. Looking forward to more 70-51 games.

Scary... the refs can use this against anyone they want just about anytime a big hit happens.

Edit: sorry, no video avail yet

Hell, looked like it shouldn't even have been a penalty. Probably hit the receiver's facemask (not on purpose) so I guess they have to call it. But targeting? Oh my.

[Maybe the definition of targeting is... "if it appears a defensive player is trying to hit anyone on offense, they clearly are targeting their opponent and that's not permitted.]

Why bother trying to hit anybody? If they're trying to take defense out of the game and make the Big 12 more relevant, I guess they're doing a good job. Looking forward to more 70-51 games.

Scary... the refs can use this against anyone they want just about anytime a big hit happens.

Didn't see the play, but I agree with you. The targeting rule is a complete joke. Just another way to fix games.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Didn't see the play, but I agree with you. The targeting rule is a complete joke. Just another way to fix games.
I think the intentions are good... the application is awful and yes, opens the door to changing the outcome. And getting us all to playing the B12 version of fussball.

the targeting rule is getting really bad. other than psu game last week, every game i watched had a targeting call. and none of them were the 'spearing' type personal foul, they were all just tackles where the the guy with the ball moved at the last second and the defender literally could not stop and just made a normal tackle.

they really need to change that rule to be more like BBall flagrant one and two. If it is intentional and really dangerous where the tackler purposefully led with his helmet and the hit is dirty, then he is ejected. But if it is just in the normal course of the game and the two players helmets just happen to miss, you cannot eject.

the targeting rule is getting really bad. other than psu game last week, every game i watched had a targeting call. and none of them were the 'spearing' type personal foul, they were all just tackles where the the guy with the ball moved at the last second and the defender literally could not stop and just made a normal tackle.

they really need to change that rule to be more like BBall flagrant one and two. If it is intentional and really dangerous where the tackler purposefully led with his helmet and the hit is dirty, then he is ejected. But if it is just in the normal course of the game and the two players helmets just happen to miss, you cannot eject.

You could see the defender trying to get his hands away but he got tangled up with the receiver. You'd think they'd spot this on replay........

Agree with you that so many times it's just a matter of the offensive player changing direction and the defender almost being forced to hit him "wrong." When good players get taken out of big games, bad things happen.

Saw the hit... terrible call

I think all football players should go to a wrestling camp for a week in the off season. just to learn a double leg takedown.

Saw it and it looke like some of the crap we get called for when playing scUM. Similar to the call on Smith last yr against scUM that was also BS. His head was up and he hit the WR, not even a penalty IMO

Reactions: N&B4PSU
IU had a 70 yard scoop and score TD reversed on replay to a targeting/ejection call today. Would have made it 33-10 IU. UVA then scored a couple plays later to cut it to 27-17. Was ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT