ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame Hockey - BIG

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
how did ND wind up in the BIG hockey conference? I thought the BIG wanted to keep its programs with only pure BIG teams. ND is already in the ACC for BB. how do they wind up with whatever conference they want by sport?

Reactions: m48tank and BBrown
how did ND wind up in the BIG hockey conference? I thought the BIG wanted to keep its programs with only pure BIG teams. ND is already in the ACC for BB. how do they wind up with whatever conference they want by sport?

Exactly sir!

The BIG TEN did NOT need Notre Dame. They NEEDED the Big Ten!

And, somebody tell me our record this year and the scores vs. Notre Dame? I'll wait.

With Notre Dame, BigTen has 5 of the top 16 pairwise ranked teams. Seems like a good addition to me.

The Big10 needed more teams to make the conference viable. ND fit the bill from a geographic standpoint and added strength to the conference. Makes more sense then ASU.

With the additions of Rutgers and Maryland, the B1G needed one more school to have B1G Lacrosse. They chose to invite Hopkins. That seems to work out just fine -- great school, great program.

This opened the door to the affiliate school idea for hockey. Looking around the landscape, Notre Dame was not only the most logical choice, it was probably the only choice.

It bugs me that Notre Dame gets what they want. But on the other hand, having them adds so much more to B1G hockey than we add to them. We get more games on national tv using their deal with NBC. They just get a conference that wants (sorta) them and is closer to home than hockey east.

As already mentioned, they added strength to the conference allowing the B1G to probably have 5 of the 16 tournament teams this year. The most we had before was 3. As long as we get something out of it, I can live with it.

With the additions of Rutgers and Maryland, the B1G needed one more school to have B1G Lacrosse. They chose to invite Hopkins. That seems to work out just fine -- great school, great program.

This opened the door to the affiliate school idea for hockey. Looking around the landscape, Notre Dame was not only the most logical choice, it was probably the only choice.

It bugs me that Notre Dame gets what they want. But on the other hand, having them adds so much more to B1G hockey than we add to them. We get more games on national tv using their deal with NBC. They just get a conference that wants (sorta) them and is closer to home than hockey east.

As already mentioned, they added strength to the conference allowing the B1G to probably have 5 of the 16 tournament teams this year. The most we had before was 3. As long as we get something out of it, I can live with it.

I guess some people consider NBCSN, "national tv." But it's college hockey.

I guess some people consider NBCSN, "national tv." But it's college hockey.

It's available nationally, so it's national TV. If you don't like it, don't watch it but stop being such a curmudgeon about everything.

Reactions: TheGLOV
It's available nationally, so it's national TV. If you don't like it, don't watch it but stop being such a curmudgeon about everything.

I watch the games on NBCSN. Production is far better than BTN, which is also, by your definition, national even though most people who have it don't know they have it.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I watch the games on NBCSN. Production is far better than BTN, which is also, by your definition, national even though most people who have it don't know they have it.

It is national too. Though not like NBCSN, which is carried on more cable systems on a regular tier. That wasn’t my point though. Having ND puts MORE Big Ten games on TV.

Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below.

Reactions: step.eng69
It is national too. Though not like NBCSN, which is carried on more cable systems on a regular tier. That wasn’t my point though. Having ND puts MORE Big Ten games on TV.

Games that few watch, but they're national, that's all that counts. Yup.

Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below.

Then they ate their horses!!!!

Reactions: step.eng69

Screw ND.

Reactions: nittany dave
I wonder if the opinions about letting them compete in the Big10 hockey conference would be different if their team was lousy. Albeit this is a special deal because it’s just for ice hockey, but it rings a little like some of the opposition when PSU joined the Big10 and won the football championship in the first year. And who knows where this might lead? I’d like to see them join the Big10 west for football someday.

I wonder if the opinions about letting them compete in the Big10 hockey conference would be different if their team was lousy. Albeit this is a special deal because it’s just for ice hockey, but it rings a little like some of the opposition when PSU joined the Big10 and won the football championship in the first year. And who knows where this might lead? I’d like to see them join the Big10 west for football someday.
Love it ... Then Wiscy could destroy them every year as well.

We won it in our second year. First year in Big 10 for football was '93.

Hard to say, but ND being good helped. Imagine that getting to critical mass by making the league larger had something to do with it. ND was in a good conference, but saves money on travel. Money isn't a major driver for the Big Ten unless someone has a very good crystal ball.

Didn't I read here last week that Illinois is going to start hockey? If that is the case, and once they are established, does the B1G boot ND?
OL
I believe the feasibility study at Illinois determined starting hockey was something which could be successful but by no means was it a final determination. And if Illinois did establish a hockey program it would bring the B1G up to eight teams including ND. That's a much better number than the current seven. I'm sure the ND admins held their noses when they agreed to join B1G hockey but the travel expenses were likely more than they expected since all other Hockey East teams are in New England.

I get the ND hatred, trust me, I'm down with it, I hate them too.

But only a dope cuts off their nose to spite their face. We're getting at least four (including us) if not five teams in the NCAA. If the league was dog-doo that would not happen.

ND was 4-0-1 against us this year, but we've beaten them in the past. They ain't Alabama - rosters turn over and you can rise or fall quick in this game.

Unqualified success.

As for the Biting Illini, my guess is they can't afford to start D-1 hockey. But if they do, we'll have a great 8-team conference, and we're certainly not going to kick ND out.

But only a dope cuts off their nose to spite their face. We're getting at least four (including us) if not five teams in the NCAA. If the league was dog-doo that would not happen.

ND was 4-0-1 against us this year, but we've beaten them in the past. They ain't Alabama - rosters turn over and you can rise or fall quick in this game.

Unqualified success.

As for the Biting Illini, my guess is they can't afford to start D-1 hockey. But if they do, we'll have a great 8-team conference, and we're certainly not going to kick ND out.

Eh. There's no money in it so, other than the one you root for, who cares how many teams the conference gets in the tourney?

Eh. There's no money in it so, other than the one you root for, who cares how many teams the conference gets in the tourney?
I understand your point but when you go 4-deep in a powerhouse conference for a championship tournament that only gets 16 teams, that's kinda important I think.

Especially when it's your team that finished fourth.

Hard to say, but ND being good helped. Imagine that getting to critical mass by making the league larger had something to do with it. ND was in a good conference, but saves money on travel. Money isn't a major driver for the Big Ten unless someone has a very good crystal ball.

No it did not Art!

ND being good, and in our conference, knocked us out of any chance of a conference championship; let alone any potential very good recruits when they hang their banner!

You're a closet Golden-Domer aren't you Art??

Unqualified success.

We would NOT be 0-4-1, against them, if they were not in our conference
possibly.

Food for thought.

Are you as well a closet Golden Domer??

No, I'd dislike them none the less.

No it did not Art!

ND being good, and in our conference, knocked us out of any chance of a conference championship; let alone any potential very good recruits when they hang their banner!

Moi? Not one of your better efforts, GLOV.

No it did not Art!

Glov I have to disagree with you there. There are only 60 D-1 teams and a ton of good players out there. And don't forget the international players - we'd be dead without our Russians and Finns. We had a Brit too who could really play but he fell by the wayside for knucklehead. Everybody - including dreck like AIU and Arizona State and the Alaska schools has at least a couple hyper-talented guys who can beat you by themselves any given night.

Notre Dame will always get players. So will Denver and Omaha and Providence and BC and Michigan. And so will we. Getting the right mix and developing the talent is what makes the difference.

And just last year we won the conference and split with ND in the non-con. They're #1 this year, but nobody is 10-foot tall and bulletproof.

Reactions: TheGLOV and Nitwit
Glov I have to disagree with you there. There are only 60 D-1 teams and a ton of good players out there. And don't forget the international players - we'd be dead without our Russians and Finns. We had a Brit too who could really play but he fell by the wayside for knucklehead. Everybody - including dreck like AIU and Arizona State and the Alaska schools has at least a couple hyper-talented guys who can beat you by themselves any given night.

Notre Dame will always get players. So will Denver and Omaha and Providence and BC and Michigan. And so will we. Getting the right mix and developing the talent is what makes the difference.

And just last year we won the conference and split with ND in the non-con. They're #1 this year, but nobody is 10-foot tall and bulletproof.

I respect the reply sir.

Thank you!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT