ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Notre Dame finalizing deal to with Penn State HC Micah Shrewsberry

The day after Pat was fired, I had Micah as my #1 choice...so, I assume that Pat Kraft will give my input the same amount of gravity as Sandy did...here is my top-of-the-head list (all realistic that seem like a relatively good fit):

Matt Langel (Colgate)
Dusty May (Florida Atlantic)
Darian DeVries (Drake)
Steve Wojciechowski (formerly Marquette)
Gerry McNamara (Syracuse assistant)
Saddi Washington (Michigan assistant)
Pat Kelsey (Charleston)

I'm sure guys like James Jones and John Becker will show up on lists, but I'd rather those others...or a guy like Thad Motta which I don't really see happening.

Edit - Forgot Mike Rhodes…another one that makes sense.
So...it's an interesting list but also relatively disappointing. If those are the options I'm rolling with McNamara or Washington and fully expect to be looking for a new coach in 2025.

So...it's an interesting list but also relatively disappointing. If those are the options I'm rolling with McNamara or Washington and fully expect to be looking for a new coach in 2025.
It's an extremely disappointing list. I think PSU should play hardball here and go after the Creighton coach, who was by some accounts ND's other target

It's an extremely disappointing list. I think PSU should play hardball here and go after the Creighton coach, who was by some accounts ND's other target
There is almost no chance that McDermott would leave Creighton for us. We’re not going to offer so much $ for him to want to take a step down.

Why would he consider that jump? I can possibly see ND but Creighton is a better job. No chance on McDermott. You don't leave Creighton to build q program IMO

Reactions: bison13
Why would he consider that jump? I can possibly see ND but Creighton is a better job. No chance on McDermott. You don't leave Creighton to build q program IMO
Creighton is not a better job. A coach who is very competitive would rather be in the B1G

the AD and school failed miserably. next they are going to make an underwhelming hire, followed by another 10 years of finishing with 4-7 wins in the conference. very pathetic.
He was gone no matter what they offered him.

Creighton is not a better job. A coach who is very competitive would rather be in the B1G
Than the Big East? They're giving to walk away from a better program for a worse program? It's like leaving Clemson football for Rutgers or Maryland just because they're in the Big Ten. Or Missouri because their in the SEC. No chance.

You can if you pay the coach and meet all their demands
We just aren't on par with ND basketball despite insane claims here the past few weeks.
What if one of his demands was to be coaching in his home state, how do we meet that demand?

So he got a 7 year contract or until somebody offers him more money. So sad that "contract" means absolutely nothing these days.

Offer enough money and PSU should be able to buy pretty much anyone they want, at least until somebody offers him more money to leave.

It's always about the money no matter what they say.

If PSU really did offer to double his salary and he said no then I'm glad he's leaving because as good as we think he was he didn't deserve a doubling of his salary. Sanity has to prevail at some point.

Reactions: Yanks49
Than the Big East? They're giving to walk away from a better program for a worse program? It's like leaving Clemson football for Rutgers or Maryland just because they're in the Big Ten. Or Missouri because their in the SEC. No chance.
Not comparable to any of those. Coaches have left Creighton for P5 programs in the past and not always top-flight ones

What if one of his demands was to be coaching in his home state, how do we meet that demand?
You don't and then have to overpay or come up with another incentive for him to stay. I said all along this was the job that made me nervous because they're a better program. Regardless of location. He'd have been foolish to stay.

If PSU really did offer to double his salary and he said no then I'm glad he's leaving because as good as we think he was he didn't deserve a doubling of his salary. Sanity has to prevail at some point.

kind of agree at that point. If he was truly making 2 and they truly offered to double it, that would've put him above Painter I think? I was ecstatic with the run but there are limits based on what he actually did in two years. To some extent ND is hiring him based on very little, if you look at it from the other side.

Did Micah only have a 2 year contract? If it was longer did it have an early departure clause?

Did Micah only have a 2 year contract? If it was longer did it have an early departure clause?
It was obviously longer than two years…no coach will be trying to recruit on an expiring contract in 2023…details would have been spelled out in the contract which isn’t public record.

Fair enough
Alsoo the only Creighton coach I remember leaving was for Oregon which is a far better destination than Penn State
not astronomically better. they have been a mixed bag over the years

i think we have shed thre reputation that Philadelphia players won't come to PSU, and the job does generate some interest. if coaches know that we were willing to pay him 4 million (if that's true), there may be some serious interest

You don't and then have to overpay or come up with another incentive for him to stay. I said all along this was the job that made me nervous because they're a better program. Regardless of location. He'd have been foolish to stay.
Even overpaying won’t get some people to stay…some things are more important than money.

Fair enough
Alsoo the only Creighton coach I remember leaving was for Oregon which is a far better destination than Penn State
I am not someone who automatically disagrees with anything that you post, but I’ve noticed that you tend to state that almost every basketball job from Oregon to Creighton is a better job than PSU. Considering that PSU is in the Big 10 and close to basketball hotbeds like Philly, PSU should be a much better job than a small school in Omaha that plays in an Eastern conference and a school in the Pacific Northwest that most likely never is going to compete for a national championship. If PSU is serious about it’s program, there’s no way that those schools and most others would be better jobs.

I am not someone who automatically disagrees with anything that you post, but I’ve noticed that you tend to state that almost every basketball job from Oregon to Creighton is a better job than PSU. Considering that PSU is in the Big 10 and close to basketball hotbeds like Philly, PSU should be a much better job than a small school in Omaha that plays in an Eastern conference and a school in the Pacific Northwest that most likely never is going to compete for a national championship. If PSU is serious about it’s program, there’s no way that those schools and most others would be better jobs.
He thinks every basketball job is better than PSU and every football job is better as well. He’s kind of a “bizarro fan”.

I said Penn State was better than Georgetown despite their past history?
I don't understand thinking we're a better program and Oregon or Creighton.
Are we serious about the program? Better yet--have we proven that for a coach to leave a school of that level for Penn State?

He thinks every basketball job is better than PSU and every football job is better as well. He’s kind of a “bizarro fan”.
There was a (long) period of time when Penn State was arguably the worst P5 job (Washington State may have been worse), because it was seen as the hardest one. I don't think it's necessarily still in that category. But even during that time, having a P5 job was better than most non-P5 jobs. The fact that we hired coaches who didn't belong was on us, it was not that we couldn't get anyone better (in fact, some were interested)

What? There's only about 6 football jobs better than Penn State which is why I think we could do better than Franklin.

Reactions: MacNit07
Not as rare as you might think, but definitely not for everyone. Location is often equally important or more important than money.
That's not true--in fact, we've seen countless times someone say how important location was only to watch them take jobs in other places. Shrew would have left for a lot of places IMO but it's an easy out to say "I'm going home"

kind of agree at that point. If he was truly making 2 and they truly offered to double it, that would've put him above Painter I think? I was ecstatic with the run but there are limits based on what he actually did in two years. To some extent ND is hiring him based on very little, if you look at it from the other side.
Well now I can pull against Micah and not just ND.

Reactions: MacNit07 and bdgan
Yup. Just told the world Penn State is just a stepping stone. Even if they find another great coach, he will leave also.
This one does feel a little more distasteful than a regular move, with it coming after only two years, with his son committed for next season, and the way this team was emotionally invested at the end. When DeChellis left after an NCAA appearance, for example, I don't remember really caring and was probably glad we were going to be hiring someone else. I fully expected Chambers to make this type of move if he ever got some sustained success. Wouldn't have been too upset by that either. but this just sucks. If there is any silver lining to this, it is that the thing with coaches recruiting their own kids does not often work so well.

That's not true--in fact, we've seen countless times someone say how important location was only to watch them take jobs in other places. Shrew would have left for a lot of places IMO but it's an easy out to say "I'm going home"
Is there anything you don’t think you’re an expert on? You post as if you know what everyone is thinking or what their motivation is. People have many different reasons for leaving a job or staying and money is just one of those reasons. It’s important to some, not as important to others. Argue with me all you want, but you’d be wrong.

What could we offer wrt NIL? I think that's the big issue these days.
I would think PSU's not in a terrible spot for NIL. PSU athletics are the main athletic events on in the entire region, so they should be able to get lots of local stuff. Honestly I am not sure it is easier to win at ND than PSU. I recognize that it's a better program historically, but it's not right now. It's maybe the 3rd best program in Indiana. He might look back on this and regret the move.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT