ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Notre Dame finalizing deal to with Penn State HC Micah Shrewsberry

My guess is that our incoming recruiting class is done and probably most of this past year’s freshman class. I would assume whoever the new coach is, is going to have to bring in 12 completely new players.

Reactions: Ski and indynittany
My guess is that our incoming recruiting class is done and probably most of this past year’s freshman class. I would assume whoever the new coach is, is going to have to bring in 12 completely new players.
There are only 6 players on roster

Goes both ways...a month ago, we had fans arguing over how soon we could fire him to bring in a "proven coach"...and still have someone bitching that he hasn't beaten a top 10 team.
Erial, who can we get? Do we try for the FAU coach?

Reactions: bison13
Disappointed in Micah. PSU took a chance on him and then he bolts. Loyalty just doesn't seem to be in vogue anymore. I guess his son goes with him as a package deal along with his assistants? I wonder about Cory Booth? Kraft better have some good coaches in mind to make a hire quickly to try to keep Booth and perhaps bring in the portal center from St. Francis. This stinks!

Reactions: scbob
Erial, who can we get? Do we try for the FAU coach?
The day after Pat was fired, I had Micah as my #1 choice...so, I assume that Pat Kraft will give my input the same amount of gravity as Sandy did...here is my top-of-the-head list (all realistic that seem like a relatively good fit):

Matt Langel (Colgate)
Dusty May (Florida Atlantic)
Darian DeVries (Drake)
Steve Wojciechowski (formerly Marquette)
Gerry McNamara (Syracuse assistant)
Saddi Washington (Michigan assistant)
Pat Kelsey (Charleston)

I'm sure guys like James Jones and John Becker will show up on lists, but I'd rather those others...or a guy like Thad Motta which I don't really see happening.

Edit - Forgot Mike Rhodes…another one that makes sense.

Last edited:
The day after Pat was fired, I had Micah as my #1 choice...so, I assume that Pat Kraft will give my input the same amount of gravity as Sandy did...here is my top-of-the-head list (all realistic that seem like a relatively good fit):

Matt Langel (Colgate)
Darian DeVries (Drake)
Pat Kelsey (Charleston)

I'm sure guys like James Jones and John Becker will show up on lists, but I'd rather those others...or a guy like Thad Motta which I don't really see happening.
Good Lord, if we got Wojo, that would be fantastic. I don’t think it’ll happen, but he grew up down here near Baltimore, and still has really good relations with some of the Baltimore Catholic league programs where he was a star.

the AD and school failed miserably. next they are going to make an underwhelming hire, followed by another 10 years of finishing with 4-7 wins in the conference. very pathetic.

the AD and school failed miserably. next they are going to make an underwhelming hire, followed by another 10 years of finishing with 4-7 wins in the conference. very pathetic.
He made a decision to leave for what he seems to think is a better opportunity (closer to home, potentially more $, better fan support, etc). Don't see us as failing miserably, as they offer some things that we couldn't. Now, time to find someone to keep things moving in the right direction.

Again, many were underwhelmed when Micah was hired...and wanted him fired a month ago (well, not that "many" wanted him fired, but highly influential fan 21Guns wanted it).

He made a decision to leave for what he seems to think is a better opportunity (closer to home, potentially more $, better fan support, etc). Don't see us as failing miserably, as they offer some things that we couldn't. Now, time to find someone to keep things moving in the right direction.

Again, many were underwhelmed when Micah was hired...and wanted him fired a month ago (well, not that "many" wanted him fired, but highly influential fan 21Guns wanted it).
Many of us were not underwhelmed with Micah but glad that we had finally gotten it right. The AD failed, he is as now right with the previous morons in that job. know PSU it tries to fix this by hiring the coach from Colgate, at best, and probably worse than that

Matt Langel (Colgate)
Darian DeVries (Drake)
Pat Kelsey (Charleston)

What about Coach Richey from Furman?

This absolutely sucks. It’s time for Kraft to make a BIG hire. REALLY BIG. Someone young and up and coming.
Bob Richey, Furman is one.

Last edited:
I don't believe that. They reportedly offered to double his salary and push for more NIL. Micah showed no loyalty or gratitude for PSU giving him an opportunity.

This absolutely sucks. It’s time for Kraft to make a BIG hire. REALLY BIG. Someone young and up and coming.
Some ideas:
Shaka Smart, VCU
Brad Stevens, Butler
Bob Richey, Furman
Um, Smart is @ Marquette, doubt he's leaving. Brad Steven's is Celtics GM. Not going anywhere.

There is no loyalty for anyone anymore pay me or I will leave and go somewhere else, they gave him a start and than he kicked them between the legs that’s the way with most coaches

Don't be so pessimistic. I think we'll keep 2 players from the current roster.

Reactions: bison13

Only three recruits and one was Shrewsbury's kid. Booth is the important one.

There is no loyalty for anyone anymore pay me or I will leave and go somewhere else, they gave him a start and than he kicked them between the legs that’s the way with most coaches
I mean, every coach we hired came from somewhere else too…do you think less of James Franklin for leaving Vandy when they gave him his start?

Shrews' bargaining power may never be higher and the ND opportunity was a good fit. No matter who our coach is, it could be a tough go next year. Pick, Lundy, Funk, Dread, and Cam are all gone. It's tough to replace talent like that and get them to mesh in a single year.

I don't believe that. They reportedly offered to double his salary and push for more NIL. Micah showed no loyalty or gratitude for PSU giving him an opportunity.
if it's true that they really offered to double it, then ok. that would've made him one of the highest paid coaches in the Big Ten which he has arguably not yet earned. saying no to that to go to a program that's not in great shape is a little out there, whether you are from IN or not. at that point let him walk because this will happen again next year.

However now we know that PSU is willing to pay that much for a basketball coach, so please PSU don't make a ridiculously bad hire like you have done so many times with this program

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT