ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling NOTES: Penn State Wrestling Media Day

On Facundo, Brooks says that he's good at catching on to things and evolving quick. Says that if he has a move hit on him once it's tough to do it again. Adds that he thinks he has a high wrestling IQ and that he could be a four-time champ.

On flash vs. substance: Starocci says he's looking to dominate his opponent first and foremost, but that sport is also entertainment and he's going to put on a show if he can.

Reactions: Chris Watts
CS, if Beau is going at 149 this year, would we expect him to drop to 141 next year and SVN at 149?

Thanks Clay for all the updates..a little sad about the RBY news (may be his last year)..hopefully he reconsiders.

Unless I missed something, we don't know who the starters are at 125, 165 and 197 at this point?

Thanks Clay for all the updates..a little sad about the RBY news (may be his last year)..hopefully he reconsiders.

Unless I missed something, we don't know who the starters are at 125, 165 and 197 at this point?
He seemed pretty firm about it. That being said, Gable said he was done with college wrestling then proceeds to wins Olympic gold, signs with WWE then ends up returning anyways so anything can happen I suppose.

Also notes that he's got a match from last year that he still has to take care of...
Poor Donnell.
giphy.gif

He also mentioned that 157 is a weight that is a little bit more competitive.

I actually think this is great news for you guys because the fact it's not even going to be a real competition means Bartlett looks great in the room and should build off his solid summer.
It's interesting but you can definitely argue 149 is the weight you want the youngster (even undersized) to handle instead of 141. He was right there with the 2nd and 3rd place finished last year. After Yianni and Sasso, the weight feels pretty open. Sherman who finished 7th at 141 last year was right there with Sasso first match. 141 on the other hand has some heavy hitters (not to mention grown ass men) if you vacate Nick:

Eierman
Rivera
Micic
Alirez
Woods (with time to train actually)
Red
Demas

Is there a streaming option for the duals on Saturday? If it is Rokfin, will it be through the standard NLWC link or the new Intermat link? I didn't see anything on Rokfin at this point.

Biggest concern on the team is 125.. looking at likely no points at nationals if a transfer isn't brought in.. Kids on the team will fight and may win a couple dual matches but need a scoring wrestler at 25 if going to catch Iowa.
Considering you got nothing at 149, nothing at 165, little at 157 and were low AA at 197 and 285 you can easily make up the 15 point difference without points at 125 where next to none were scored last year as well.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Considering you got nothing at 149, nothing at 165, little at 157 and were low AA at 197 and 285 you can easily make up the 15 point difference without points at 125 where next to none were scored last year as well.
That and a little more bonus points from our big hitters. Every points will be needed.

It's interesting but you can definitely argue 149 is the weight you want the youngster (even undersized) to handle instead of 141. He was right there with the 2nd and 3rd place finished last year. After Yianni and Sasso, the weight feels pretty open. Sherman who finished 7th at 141 last year was right there with Sasso first match. 141 on the other hand has some heavy hitters (not to mention grown ass men) if you vacate Nick:

Eierman
Rivera
Micic
Alirez
Woods (with time to train actually)
Red
Demas
I was just talking about Bartlett v. SVN. I didn't realize that Lee's weight was still up in the air. You're right, 149 is definitely the weight you want the weaker guy at with the amount of parity. Even Sasso got pushed the limit in his opener. All of those guys can beat each other (unless Yianni is there). Looking forward to the last match of the finals being the highly anticipated Bartlett v. Murin showdown with the team title on the line.

I was just talking about Bartlett v. SVN. I didn't realize that Lee's weight was still up in the air. You're right, 149 is definitely the weight you want the weaker guy at with the amount of parity. Even Sasso got pushed the limit in his opener. All of those guys can beat each other (unless Yianni is there). Looking forward to the last match of the finals being the highly anticipated Bartlett v. Murin showdown with the team title on the line.
Oh no, 141/149 are settled. Nick wants 141 and that's how it's going to be. Bartlett will be 149 over SVN though, which a lot of people didn't seem to buy in the offseason but you were on that train so props! 💪

Bartlett (despite being a natural 141) will definitely have a better shot at podiuming at 149 then 141 ... you want the defending champ navigating that weight. You provide a fantastic analysis of 149 last year and who AA'ed, it's literally a weight where any wrestler can go on a run in a given weekend.

Reactions: js8793
Oh no, 141/149 are settled. Nick wants 141 and that's how it's going to be. Bartlett will be 149 over SVN though, which a lot of people didn't seem to buy in the offseason but you were on that train so props! 💪

Bartlett (despite being a natural 141) will definitely have a better shot at podiuming at 149 then 141 ... you want the defending champ navigating that weight. You provide a fantastic analysis of 149 last year and who AA'ed, it's literally a weight where any wrestler can go on a run in a given weekend.
I was just taking another look at the rankings and this might be most fun weight this year. not to be confused with the best. the level of talent is not great. but there are guys not in flo's top 24 that could legit place top 5. the way the bracket falls will be huge because i think the final results will come down to the individual style match ups. murin could make a finals run or go 1-2 if he falls in the path of 2 guys who are elite scramblers. gonna be fun.

Nick says that there was some discussion about his weight between he and coaches, but he's always felt more like a 41 and that's where he's going to stay.
So is Nick bumping to 149 and Bartlett going 141?

Sorry, I just had to.

With the news of Roman likely leaving after this year, the miss on Bouzakis stings a bit more.
Yup - I don't think this changes much recruiting wise as we always would have needed a 133 going forward since RBY was done after 2023 at the latest. MA McGowan I imagine has been receiving the full court press.

Hopefully we can get a transfer at 133 next year. I know we're pretty set at most weights but going from the champ to a nonqualifier would be a huge blow in a team race.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT