ADVERTISEMENT

Not a parody. Pitt will not join the B2G because ..

When did NCAA basketball ever make more money than NCAA football? I'm willing to bet the answer is "Never".
My facts could be totally off, but I believe the Big East was ahead up until the 1984 NCAA v. Oklahoma Board of Regents ruling re: football television contracts due to its basketball contract with ESPN. Again, I’m piecing together bits of information I’ve read from different stories so please correct if I’m wrong.

Last edited:
The only time this was true in "Major College Football" was for teams that have terrible attendance and didn't go to Bowl Games. This was never true for the top-half of DIA/FBS College Football (i.e., P5). Most of his account (including that ASWP supported Paterno's Eastern Conference initiative) is pure BS and re-creationist history.
Respectfully, I never said that Pitt supported the eastern conference initiative, because there were obvious disagreements regarding revenue splits in football and basketball. I said that Pitt likely would’ve supported Penn State joining the Big East, which was a separate entity and didn’t have football revenues to worry about.

As for which Big East schools voted which way, that came directly from a recent interview with former Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney.

When did NCAA basketball ever make more money than NCAA football? I'm willing to bet the answer is "Never".
I'm in general agreement with your premise regarding revenue generation re: football vs men's basketball.

But don't forget that there are colleges/universities that play D1 basketball that don't have a football program (Marquette, St John's Georgetown, etc.), particularly back in the day....

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I'm in general agreement with your premise regarding revenue generation re: football vs men's basketball.

But don't forget that there are colleges/universities that play D1 basketball that don't have a football program (Marquette, St John's Georgetown, etc.), particularly back in the day....
I should’ve specified that my revenue comment was referencing the media revenue. I had always understood it that the Big East’s cable contract with ESPN, in conjunction with its presence in the major northeast markets, generated more revenue than what schools were receiving from the NCAA for football prior to the 1984 SCOTUS ruling. That ESPN deal was the precursor to the major media rights agreements that are in place today.

My point was that the Big East was always big on the television markets, which might’ve been why GTown/St. John’s/Nova rejected Penn State’s admission into the conference.

I should’ve specified that my revenue comment was referencing the media revenue. I had always understood it that the Big East’s cable contract with ESPN, in conjunction with its presence in the major northeast markets, generated more revenue than what schools were receiving from the NCAA for football prior to the 1984 SCOTUS ruling. That ESPN deal was the precursor to the major media rights agreements that are in place today.

My point was that the Big East was always big on the television markets, which might’ve been why GTown/St. John’s/Nova rejected Penn State’s admission into the conference.

So now were excluding Gate and Bowl revenue??? Prior to 1984, only a couple football games (and basketball games) were broadcast each week. There's zero evidence that the major networks paid more to telecast college basketball than football - I would imagine the opposite was true as CFB game telecasts generated much higher viewer ratings than basketball.

So now were excluding Gate and Bowl revenue??? Prior to 1984, only a couple football games (and basketball games) were broadcast each week. There's zero evidence that the major networks paid more to telecast college basketball than football - I would imagine the opposite was true as CFB game telecasts generated much higher viewer ratings than basketball.
Gate and bowl revenue are irrelevant in this conversation because 1) the Big East did not sponsor football at that time and 2) I was discussing television markets and cable contracts as they related to Penn State’s application to the Big East. Gate and bowl revenue would not factor into that, which was why I clarified my original post.

The revenue itself wasn’t the point I was trying to make (I could very well be wrong on that), so I’m going to end it here.

Article is kind of dumb, and the “experts” reasoning is faulty. The BIG has two teams from Michigan, two teams from Illinois and two teams from Indiana. Furthermore they would take ND in a heartbeat, also from Indiana. How many teams from one state is not an issue for the BIG.

Just another Pitt fan boy fermenting more hatred for PSU.

IIRC, Syracuse was one of the schools that wanted PSU in football but not in basketball.

Reactions: KCLion
IIRC, Syracuse was one of the schools that wanted PSU in football but not in basketball.
Why? It's simple. PSU packs their dome. Same reason Pitt wants to play PSU. PSU did it then and it would do it today.

Reactions: Waltwam
Amazing what passes as journalism today. That was an SI article? Full of facts. Based on the opinion of one person who based it on "other schools," admitting he talked to no one at Pitt or PSU.
It wasn't. It was a Fan Nation article written by a 2022 Pitt grad. They use free lance writers to mass produce team specific content. It about one step above a blog.

If I were a betting man, I would put my money on the B12 outlasting the ACC and the PAC12. Of the three, they are the only one that has made any moves to address their losses and the only one that seems to be drawing possible interest from P5 schools, at the potential expense of the PAC12, no less.
Agree. The ACC is rip for demolition with the B1G, SEC, and Big 12 the remaining FCS conferences of 20-24 teams each.

Agree. The ACC is rip for demolition with the B1G, SEC, and Big 12 the remaining FCS conferences of 20-24 teams each.
It’s funny how it all worked out because the ACC really should be either best or second power conference in college football.

The 2004 expansion with Boston College, Miami, and Virginia Tech has more-or-less been a flop. If this programs were still at their Big East peaks, coupled with Clemson and Florida State, the conference would be in great shape. Even programs like Georgia Tech and North Carolina should be much better than what they actually are given their geography and resources. We’ve suffered the same “drought” that the Pac-12 did apparently at the worst possible time.

Who's to know (or care) what religion any athlete on any team is? Certainly ND football has no religious bias.
Yep, and I'm pretty sure that ND doesn't ask a recruit what religion he's part of.....the religion BS is comical

Who's to know (or care) what religion any athlete on any team is? Certainly ND football has no religious bias.

Yep, and I'm pretty sure that ND doesn't ask a recruit what religion he's part of.....the religion BS is comical
You said it yourself - “The love for ND is mind boggling”. Well that love comes from the large numbers of Catholics in the area/state. I work with a bunch of ND fans from the coal cracker region - none went to ND, they come from multigenerational ND fan households and are fans due to the Catholic connection from past and present.

We’re talking about fans here - not the actual kids on the team - coming from this comment:
This basically sums it. I'd be interested in knowing the percentage of PSU fans in the Pittsburgh area compared to Pitt fans. Gotta believe it's close if not more PSU fans.

I kind of equate this to the Cincinnati area. I used to work in Cincinnati for 4 years and lived in Blue Ash (suburb of Cincy) and believe me, there were as many - if not more - OSU fans in that area as there were Cincinnati and Kentucky U. fans. Just a guess, but probably the same holds true for Pittsburgh and PSU support.
Don’t let my backhanded comment on religion cause you to get all hot and bothered to the point you can’t follow the point of the thread.

Last edited:
You said it yourself - “The love for ND is mind boggling”. Well that love comes from the large numbers of Catholics in the area/state. I work with a bunch of ND fans from the coal cracker region - none went to ND, they come from multigenerational ND fan households and are fans due to the Catholic connection from past and present.

We’re talking about fans here - not the actual kids on the team - coming from this comment:

Don’t let my backhanded comment on religion cause you to get all hot and bothered to the point you can’t follow the point of the thread.
In PA it is PSU #1 and ND #2. ND is wildly popular in the northeast.

Except BC is closer to most of PA than ND so it's not just Catholicism

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT