Nobody wants to join the military anymore

Jerry

May 29, 2001
That's the title of a piece recently written by former Marine Jeff Groom for The Spectator...linked in the Rod Dreher post below.

I'm proud of my military service and cherish the title Marine, but I wouldn't want my grandsons to serve a country or Corps that are no longer recognizable to me...where fake Marines desecrated their own sacred emblem with rainbow colors during Pride Month and pissed all over the blood sacrifices of real Marines on a thousand battlefields...where service members are forced to choose between the orders of an anti-Christian Woke command and their own consciences.

This is not to dishonor the service of those currently in the military. The vast majority are patriotic Americans who didn't sign up for what they're facing now -- Wokeist indoctrination, showers with trannies, lowered standards to accommodate the requirements of political correctness, mandated vaccines, etc -- and have little choice but to at least pretend to go along with the program or incur potentially life-altering penalties. However, if you're currently on the outside looking in, why would you volunteer for this? The only reason would be if you hadn't gotten the word that Everything Has Changed.

In fact, Dreher nails it here:

>>Why join up when your senior commanders think you are a bad seed for being white, male, Christian, and/or conservative, and they might send you overseas to fight in the forever wars to extend the American empire, and to make the Donbas safe for Raytheon and RuPaul’s Drag Race, chicks with dicks and CRT? At some point, you’ve got to realize that it’s a scam, that you are being asked to risk your life to fight for an imperial order that thinks your law-abiding, church-going, palefaced right-wing self is the problem with America...The ruling class in America today, including in the woke military, is going all-out to make a very large section of America, including those most likely to serve, feel like they are outcasts and scapegoats. Again: what is the point of risking your life for a system that hates you and wants to grind you down, and later in life teach your kids that they are bad because of their race, but cheer up, because they might be queer?<<

CoastGuard2018

Jul 25, 2017
That's the title of a piece recently written by former Marine Jeff Groom for The Spectator...linked in the Rod Dreher post below.

I'm proud of my military service and cherish the title Marine, but I wouldn't want my grandsons to serve a country or Corps that are no longer recognizable to me...where fake Marines desecrated their own sacred emblem with rainbow colors during Pride Month and pissed all over the blood sacrifices of real Marines on a thousand battlefields...where service members are forced to choose between the orders of an anti-Christian Woke command and their own consciences.

This is not to dishonor the service of those currently in the military. The vast majority are patriotic Americans who didn't sign up for what they're facing now -- Wokeist indoctrination, showers with trannies, lowered standards to accommodate the requirements of political correctness, mandated vaccines, etc -- and have little choice but to at least pretend to go along with the program or incur potentially life-altering penalties. However, if you're currently on the outside looking in, why would you volunteer for this? The only reason would be if you hadn't gotten the word that Everything Has Changed.

>>Why join up when your senior commanders think you are a bad seed for being white, male, Christian, and/or conservative, and they might send you overseas to fight in the forever wars to extend the American empire, and to make the Donbas safe for Raytheon and RuPaul’s Drag Race, chicks with dicks and CRT? At some point, you’ve got to realize that it’s a scam, that you are being asked to risk your life to fight for an imperial order that thinks your law-abiding, church-going, palefaced right-wing self is the problem with America...The ruling class in America today, including in the woke military, is going all-out to make a very large section of America, including those most likely to serve, feel like they are outcasts and scapegoats. Again: what is the point of risking your life for a system that hates you and wants to grind you down, and later in life teach your kids that they are bad because of their race, but cheer up, because they might be queer?<<

Our country is crumbling and being destroyed from within! I hope and pray more of the populace catches on to this but I am not hopeful.

Lesgo_Brandon

Nov 11, 2021
St Louis
Not long ago I was in a assemble with the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force. During the question portion someone in the audience asked if it was true new recruits were provided "time out" cards in basic training to hand to the drill instructor if they were too stressed. His response was basically that this generation quits too easily. If the Air Force didn't make it easier for new recruits very few would make it through basic training.

They've also drastically lowered the ASVAB standards.

When I entered in the 90s it felt like I joined a family. By the time I retired it just felt like a daycare.

The military is not in a great place right now.

Last edited:

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Not long ago I was in a assemble with the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force. During the question portion someone in the audience asked if it was true new recruits were provided "time out" cards in basic training to hand to the drill instructor if they were too stressed. His response was basically that this generation quits too easily. If the Air Force didn't make it easier for new recruits very few would make it through basic training.

They've also drastically lowered the ASVAB standards.

When I entered in the 90s it felt like I joined a family. By the time I retired it just felt like a daycare.

The military is not in a great place right now.

I'm hearing a lot of anecdotal evidence that the all-out attack by the Dem-Mediacrats and their Wokeist friends on our country's history, traditions, and values...together with their capture of our institutions and the craven capitulation of the military command...is starting to having a significant effect on recruitment and retention.

At the end of the day, it seems to me that the recruiting base for infantry units remains what it traditionally has been: white...rural...southern...culturally conservative. How long can this group be denigrated and attacked before realizing that they're being played for chumps by both the civilian and uniformed leadership of the military?

My sense is that the Wokeist Karens, feminized males, and mediocre bureaucrats who appear to run things these days believe military technology has advanced to a degree that we no longer need a force proficient at "closing with and destroying the enemy" as in the time-honored mission of the Marine Corps. Just press some buttons at long-range, and your fancy weapons will do the rest. But these fools have never been right...about anything.

Meanwhile, an apparent military insider sent this note to Dreher in response to his article linked in the OP:

The problem we face with military recruiting is a convergence of factors. First, almost no educated middle and upper class Americans want to join. Second, the fact that so many young Americans are fat and out of shape. Third, the fact that America hasn’t won a war in twenty years. Fourth, the fact that there is never any accountability in the senior ranks for failure to win wars. And finally, the fact that the rural whites who makes up the recruiting base for combat personnel increasingly see the military as hostile to people like themselves. The armed forces could have managed one or two of these, but all of them happening at once is beyond our ability to handle.

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001

@PaoliLion wants to investigate them as white supremists (even though a large number aren't white or male).

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009

Bwahahahaha! I’m starting to wonder if Jerry is bi-curious. :cool: 🌈

dailybuck777

Jan 2, 2018

A couple of points. 1. People who believe in an afterlife should be much more willing to make the sacrifice of their life while in the military. Hard to believe that the woke people who are selfish and who flaunt society's norms would be willing to sacrifice their individuality and their life for a country or for military duties.

2. I would be strongly opposed to my son serving under a military headed by Joe biden. Also, I would be very strongly opposed to any military service by my son that would put him in harm's way while being directed by Joe Biden, or his appointments. I would consider it a complete waste if my son were to die in military service when Biden was president. Sorry to say this in reference to current military members whose lives are in jeopardy now.

Last edited:

bison13

Dec 22, 2007
I put a fair amount of blame on the school systems for this. 15 years ago there would be one branch of the Armed Forces coming to the school to set up a table at lunchtime each month but I haven’t seen that at any school that I’ve been to in years unless they have an ROTC program.

There are less and less of those ROTC programs as well. I live near Fort Meade here in Maryland and it has a program as well as Annapolis high school has a naval ROTC but you would expect that based on their locations. There are very few guidance counselors who will try and get a kid who’s looking for guidance and doesn’t know what to do with their life to go into the military anymore. Those knuckleheads that you used to say hey why don’t you go try the military for a few years and see what happens are told that they should go to community college and try to become some thing that they have no chance of ever achieving.

Jerry

May 29, 2001
A couple of points. 1. People who believe in an afterlife should be much more willing to make the sacrifice of their life while in the military. Hard to believe that the woke people who are selfish and who flaunt society's norms would be willing to sacrifice their individuality and their life for a country or for military duties.

2. I would be strongly opposed to my son serving under a military headed by Joe biden. Also, I would be very strongly opposed to any military service by my son that would put him in harm's way while being directed by Joe Biden, or his appointments. I would consider it a complete waste if my son were to die in military service when Biden was president. Sorry to say this in reference to current military members whose lives are in jeopardy now.

Buck, I agree, but this goes far beyond Biden who is, after all, only the hapless front-man for an ideology hostile to American history, tradition, and values.

The Dem-Media Party is the political vehicle for that ideology. Any Dem-Mediacrat in the White House, heading our government and appointing the people to run it, will be as bad as Senile Joe.

In the end, it goes back to the concept of patriotism. Is it loyalty to the government? Salute the flag and call it a day? I don't think so. In my mind, it's allegiance to the values and principles that the flag once stood for...reverence for the history and traditions of a nation that the flag once represented.

If you wear the uniform, you must obey lawful orders. No question about that. But you should not be pressured or ordered to violate your conscience or religious beliefs. When I was in the military, such a thing was unthinkable.

But we don't live in that country anymore. Instead, we're now citizens of Brave New Amerika...a land where you bow before the rainbow banner, worship the tin gods of Wokeism, and memorize pronouns. All of this is directly contrary to the age-old Judeo-Christian code.

The hard truth is that at this point only a chump would volunteer to be a cog in this machine...to be held in contempt by those in command...to cooperate in the desecration of our history...to serve as cannon fodder for our corrupt Ruling Class.

junior1

May 29, 2001
Buck, I agree, but this goes far beyond Biden who is, after all, only the hapless front-man for an ideology hostile to American history, tradition, and values.

The Dem-Media Party is the political vehicle for that ideology. Any Dem-Mediacrat in the White House, heading our government and appointing the people to run it, will be as bad as Senile Joe.

In the end, it goes back to the concept of patriotism. Is it loyalty to the government? Salute the flag and call it a day? I don't think so. In my mind, it's allegiance to the values and principles that the flag once stood for...reverence for the history and traditions of a nation that the flag once represented.

If you wear the uniform, you must obey lawful orders. No question about that. But you should not be pressured or ordered to violate your conscience or religious beliefs. When I was in the military, such a thing was unthinkable.

But we don't live in that country anymore. Instead, we're now citizens of Brave New Amerika...a land where you bow before the rainbow banner, worship the tin gods of Wokeism, and memorize pronouns. All of this is directly contrary to the age-old Judeo-Christian code.

The hard truth is that at this point only a chump would volunteer to be a cog in this machine...to be held in contempt by those in command...to cooperate in the desecration of our history...to serve as cannon fodder for our corrupt Ruling Class.
a heartening thought...there are more than a handful of military/combat vets who are running for federal offices this year. Personally, i don't agree with all of them, but it's a good thing they know about resource needs, effect of military/combat service on individuals, needs of soldiers and their families, and how to engage with full force of the military and not this piecemeal strategy

NJPSU

May 29, 2001

The rantings of a guy who could justify flying planes into buildings.

Every time you post one of these long monologues I feel like I’m reading the Unabomber’s manifesto.

maypole

May 9, 2022

Every time you post one of these long monologues I feel like I’m reading the Unabomber’s manifesto.
More like Al Qaeda‘s fanaticism with violence combined with religious fundamentalism.

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009

Bwahahahaha! That was awesome, NJ. Made be guffaw. "The Unabomber's manifesto." LOL ...

Reactions: NJPSU

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Bwahahahaha! That was awesome, NJ. Made be guffaw. "The Unabomber's manifesto." LOL ...

LOL indeed. Dear God, you people are pathetic.

I've made some substantive points -- maybe wrong and maybe right but at least substantive and thoughtful.

The response on your side has been and I quote: Racist! Homophobe! Religious loser! Unabomber! Closet homosexual! Al Qaeda! That's it and that's all. You have nothing else.

In fact, any neutral observer reading this exchange would conclude that it's a grown man against 5th-grade boys. And FYI, I don't waste my time trying to engage with 5th-graders. They bore me.

By the way, what does "made be guffaw" mean. Next time try it in English.

1Hammers1

Jan 26, 2014
Wasn't there a change in the pension recently ? I have heard some complaints from coworkers who recently got out due to various reasons including cv-19 shot.

Reactions: Ski

Ski

May 29, 2001
With the military drawdowns in the 90s the US military has very much become a family business with single families providing generation after generation of defenders of our nation. The woke leadership along with lesser benefits provided to service members than what they were given when I went in is driving this core group of recruits to look elsewhere.

I worry about the force now. The services either deal with a shortfall of recruits or lower their standards for entry which in the long run may be the greater of the evils. I served with some of McNamara's Happy 100,000 who were at their mid-to-late career point when I was a new recruit and I wouldn't have given you a nickel for the whole lot of them. It was terrible that so many of them were cannon fodder in Vietnam where their casualty rate was much higher than recruits that the standard was not lowered for.

I am not weeping for America yet, but I am pretty close to my eyes welling up tears. The next President must be a Conservative for the welfare of everyone.

• Love
Reactions: The Spin Meister

ram2020

Jul 29, 2013

The hard truth is that at this point only a chump would volunteer to be a cog in the
You're over the target Jerry, ive learned whenever they call you a racist or a bigot, they no longer want to argue the merits of your point....wonder why that is?

Reactions: Jerry

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
You're over the target Jerry, ive learned whenever they call you a racist or a bigot, they no longer want to argue the merits of your point....wonder why that is?
Because that's who they are. Just look at their words. They degrade everyone like they're elite geniuses.

Reactions: Jerry and psuted

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
a heartening thought...there are more than a handful of military/combat vets who are running for federal offices this year. Personally, i don't agree with all of them, but it's a good thing they know about resource needs, effect of military/combat service on individuals, needs of soldiers and their families, and how to engage with full force of the military and not this piecemeal strategy
And hopefully enough will get into office to stomp out the wokeism shit and refocus on readiness.

Reactions: Jerry and Ski

Catch50

Feb 5, 2003

I have NEVER been asked by anyone to be an atheist. It HAS been suggested to me that I take up religion by numerous for no reason at all out of the blue.

I am a PROUD atheist all by my own thinking.

Catch50

Feb 5, 2003
Because that's who they are. Just look at their words. They degrade everyone like they're elite geniuses.
Catch50 the hater of space exploration ... does not mean to come off as an elite genius. I'm just a guy pointing out the Republican hypocrisy of wasteful spending.

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
LOL indeed. Dear God, you people are pathetic.

I've made some substantive points -- maybe wrong and maybe right but at least substantive and thoughtful.

The response on your side has been and I quote: Racist! Homophobe! Religious loser! Unabomber! Closet homosexual! Al Qaeda! That's it and that's all. You have nothing else.

In fact, any neutral observer reading this exchange would conclude that it's a grown man against 5th-grade boys. And FYI, I don't waste my time trying to engage with 5th-graders. They bore me.

By the way, what does "made be guffaw" mean. Next time try it in English.
Jerry: Whether you agree with him or not (and I understand why you would not agree with him), that comment was funny. I don't mind when someone here pokes fun at me, especially if they manage to do it in a humorous way. LIH is particularly adept at that.

As for the substantive nature of your posts in this thread (particularly your initial post), it strikes me as incredibly mean spirited, not to mention inaccurate, to fulminate like you do about how "the gays" and "the trannies" are overrunning the Marine Corps. The number of gay or transsexual people in the Marine Corps is, without doubt, incredibly small. Why would ANY sentient gay or transsexual person choose to submit himself or herself to the kind of invective and abuse that would surely come his or her way by joining the Marine Corps? That is not to case on the Marine Corps; it is only to note that the Marine Corps is (understandably) overwhelmingly male and straight, and in terms of enlisted personnel, relatively young and uneducated. That informs their world view and their attitude towards gay and transsexual people.

Last edited:

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
Jerry: Whether you agree with him or not (and I understand why you would not agree with him), that comment was funny. I don't mind when someone here pokes fun at me, especially if they manage to do it in a humorous way. LIH is particularly adept at that.

As for the substantive nature of your posts in this thread (particularly your initial post), it strikes me as incredibly mean spirited, not to mention inaccurate, to fulminate like you do about how "the gays" and "the trannies" are overrunning the Marine Corps. The number of gay or transsexual people in the Marine Corps is, without doubt, incredibly small. Why would ANY sentient gay or transsexual person choose to submit himself or herself to the kind of invective and abuse that would surely come his or her way by joining the Marine Corps? That is not to case on the Marine Corps; it is only to note that the Marine Corps is (understandably) overwhelmingly male and straight, and in terms of enlisted personnel, relatively uneducated. That informs their world view and their attitude towards gay and transsexual people.
Exactly.

What percentage of an 18 year old soldier’s year is going to involve any of the things Jerry was bloviating about? He’s completely hysterical and unhinged when it comes to this woke obsession. It’s completely inconsequential to the average soldiers life. He acts as If they are showing gay porn in the mess hall. It’s a non issue that Jerry has become absolutely obsessed with.

Reactions: knickslions

Jerry

May 29, 2001

As for the substantive nature of your posts in this thread (particularly your initial post), it strikes me as incredibly mean spirited, not to mention inaccurate, to fulminate like you do about how "the gays" and "the trannies" are overrunning the Marine Corps. The number of gay or transsexual people in the Marine Corps is, without doubt, incredibly small. Why would ANY sentient gay or transsexual person choose to submit himself or herself to the kind of invective and abuse that would surely come his or her way by joining the Marine Corps? That is not to case on the Marine Corps; it is only to note that the Marine Corps is (understandably) overwhelmingly male and straight, and in terms of enlisted personnel, relatively young and uneducated. That informs their world view and their attitude towards gay and transsexual people.

Laf, "poking fun" is one thing, and I have no problem with that, but when the entirety of one side's response, across several posters, consists of one-line juvenile name-calling taken from the familiar idiotic Dem-Media list, it says a lot more about them and about their side's politics than it does about me or the substantive argument that I'm making. On the other hand, if people want to expose their mental processes as akin to a 5th-grader, I'm fine with that. It makes my case in fact.

That said, thank you for at least trying to engage on a substantive level in your second paragraph above. You talk about the Marine Corps, but that was not in fact my focus. As the title of the post said, the issue has to do with our country's military. And indeed, that was the subject of both the Dreher post that I linked and the article by the former Marine that was embedded in the Dreher post. Read the OP again. This goes far beyond the Marine Corps.

But speaking of the Marine Corps, as a former Marine (1976-79), I made a heartfelt point that speaks for the huge majority of Marines, past and present: the politicization (link below) of the sacred emblem and traditions of our Corps that marked the beginning of "Pride Month" is an obscene mockery of the blood sacrifices of real Marines -- as opposed to the fake variety that came up with or approved this -- on a thousand battlefields across the globe over the course of 250 years of American history. Yet, it also serves as a handy indicator of what Dem-Media and its toadies in today's command are doing to the American military. And that...plus the effect all this is having on the force... is exactly what my post spoke to:

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
Laf, "poking fun" is one thing, and I have no problem with that, but when the entirety of one side's response, across several posters, consists of one-line juvenile name-calling taken from the familiar idiotic Dem-Media list, it says a lot more about them and about their side's politics than it does about me or the substantive argument that I'm making. On the other hand, if people want to expose their mental processes as akin to a 5th-grader, I'm fine with that. It makes my case in fact.

That said, thank you for at least trying to engage on a substantive level in your second paragraph above. You talk about the Marine Corps, but that was not in fact my focus. As the title of the post said, the issue has to do with our country's military. And indeed, that was the subject of both the Dreher post that I linked and the article by the former Marine that was embedded in the Dreher post. Read the OP again. This goes far beyond the Marine Corps.

But speaking of the Marine Corps, as a former Marine (1976-79), I made a heartfelt point that speaks for the huge majority of Marines, past and present: the politicization (link below) of the sacred emblem and traditions of our Corps that marked the beginning of "Pride Month" is an obscene mockery of the blood sacrifices of real Marines -- as opposed to the fake variety that came up with or approved this -- on a thousand battlefields across the globe over the course of 250 years of American history. Yet, it also serves as a handy indicator of what Dem-Media and its toadies in today's command are doing to the American military. And that...plus the effect all this is having on the force... is exactly what my post spoke to:

“We remain committed to fostering an environment free from discrimination, and defend the values of treating all equally, with dignity and respect.”

This statement from the US Marines is what Jerry is outraged about. You really are a bad guy.

Reactions: knickslions

SR108

Jan 13, 2004

This tells you all you need to know.

Reactions: Jerry

knickslions

Feb 2, 2005
“We remain committed to fostering an environment free from discrimination, and defend the values of treating all equally, with dignity and respect.”

This statement from the US Marines is what Jerry is outraged about. You really are a bad guy.
He’s the biggest racist homophobe on this board.

Reactions: IIVI and NJPSU

SR108

Jan 13, 2004

afa7507b223d10a15f73e0d5c032f0b29aacec4e.jpg

Ahead of his time.

junior1

May 29, 2001

no issue with most of your statement. But, why would you think that marines are uneducated?

SR108

Jan 13, 2004
Exactly.

What percentage of an 18 year old soldier’s year is going to involve any of the things Jerry was bloviating about? He’s completely hysterical and unhinged when it comes to this woke obsession. It’s completely inconsequential to the average soldiers life. He acts as If they are showing gay porn in the mess hall. It’s a non issue that Jerry has become absolutely obsessed with.
You attack Jerry instead of commenting on the article he posted. The article could have merit in which case our armed forces have been weakened.

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
You attack Jerry instead of commenting on the article he posted. The article could have merit in which case our armed forces have been weakened.
Weakened because they don’t follow Jerry’s extreme religious anti gay bias?

SR108

Jan 13, 2004
Weakened because they don’t follow Jerry’s extreme religious anti gay bias?
Again, attacking Jerry rather than addressing the article from a marine who has witnessed events in the corps.

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
Again, attacking Jerry rather than addressing the article from a marine who has witnessed events in the corps.
Ok then remove the word Jerry from my response.

”Weakened because they don’t follow an extreme religious anti gay bias?”. Absurd.

SR108

Jan 13, 2004
Ok then remove the word Jerry from my response.

”Weakened because they don’t follow an extreme religious anti gay bias?”. Absurd.
I think the point of the article is that recruiting is possibly suffering as a result of social justice emphasis and training as well as the vax requirements.. If true, its not absurd.

Latest posts