ADVERTISEMENT

No masks at @ PSU @ outdoor events

106,000 bodies packed and screaming outside is gonna spread delta. Expect some of your friends to get sick. My sisters kid went from testing positive to acute renal failure, intubation, CPR, and death in 10 days. I wear a N99 mask and am vaxxed. Until delta runs it’s course, you’re playing with fire.

Duh. Don’t scream at the games.

I don’t have to clip my nose hairs!

nose_hair_medium.gif

Reactions: Obliviax
No great answers. Without a vax or mask mandate, however, I fear that I'll have to skip games this year (both at the Beav and at Pegula) until they authorize the vax for kids under 12 as I have one of those in my household (other kid is older and vaxxed as are both parents). Hearing that vax for under 12 might not hit until late winter, so perhaps some hope to squeeze in a game or two at Pegula late in the season (i.e., February).

It is a bummer as I was hoping to do the whole RV experience with the fam for the Michigan game (we did it the year before last and had a blast!). Auburn would have been fun as well, given that we don't get southern teams to visit north often. But all those unvaccinated Alabamans... 😆

In the likely scenario that PSU has to cancel fan attendance if we get another surge up here in Pennsy, I wonder how they'll handle tickets that were sold (on the official exchange). For instance, if I sell Villanova at under face (likely), I assume that TicketMaster will just return my money (and reimburse the buyer) and then PSU will reimburse me the purchase price. Same with tickets that I may sell over face value (in hopes to break even) like Auburn. What a mess!

$100 says those that are offended will be LCW.

A little help please

Rank Abbr. Meaning
LCW Lahore College for Women (Lahore, Pakistan)
LCW Laiden Curb Weight (truck measurement)
LCW Lake City Way (Seattle, WA)

LCW LAN Connected Workstation (IPX/SPX)
LCW Lancaster Championship Wrestling (Lancaster, PA)
LCW Language & Culture Worldwide (Chicago, IL)
LCW Last Chance Workout (weight loss)
LCW Lebanon Communication Workshop
LCW Lee Chong Wei (professional badminton player)
LCW Lego Championship Wrestling
LCW Lenin's Collected Works
LCW Little Children of the World
LCW Local Closed World (information)
LCW Longest Call Waiting (call center)
LCW Loud, Confident and Wrong
LCW Lounge Chair Wood
LCW Low Conductivity Water

A little help please

Rank Abbr. Meaning

LCW Lounge Chair Wood

I gotta go with LAN Connected Workstation. The first one is just too offensive.

• Haha
Reactions: step.eng69
The exact same leaders who did everything they could to shut everything down last year can't be bothered with even a little piece of cloth now.

No great answers. Without a vax or mask mandate, however, I fear that I'll have to skip games this year (both at the Beav and at Pegula) until they authorize the vax for kids under 12 as I have one of those in my household (other kid is older and vaxxed as are both parents).

Why will you have to skip games without such mandates?

Isn’t there still a question about the safety and necessity of these vaccines for children?

$100 says those that are offended will be LCW.

A little help please

Rank Abbr. Meaning

LCW Lounge Chair Wood

I’m quite certain ‘ro was referring to Lounge Chair Wood.

Exactly. More like, not likely scenario.
Fair enough and I sincerely hope that you are right. Better to call it a somewhat uninformed guess on my part based on reading at least one schools (Hawaii - thought that I had read about others, but perhaps I am wrong) has already canceled fan attendance for early games which isn't a good sign. Time will tell and again I hope the stands are full (and perhaps we get some relief on vax for under 12 soon).

Why will you have to skip games without such mandates?

Isn’t there still a question about the safety and necessity of these vaccines for children?
Not sure if we're saying the same thing, but I am saying that my own personal decision is that I won't attend an event with a large crowd sans social distancing while I have an unvaccinated kid at home. I am taking precautions to try to prevent bringing it home to my kid and the possibility of contracting it (Delta, Lambda, whatever is next) at a game and being an asymptomatic carrier who gives it to my child is a deal-breaker for me. I am not judging others for their personal decision, that's just my personal decision.

Not sure if we're saying the same thing, but I am saying that my own personal decision is that I won't attend an event with a large crowd sans social distancing while I have an unvaccinated kid at home. I am taking precautions to try to prevent bringing it home to my kid and the possibility of contracting it (Delta, Lambda, whatever is next) at a game and being an asymptomatic carrier who gives it to my child is a deal-breaker for me. I am not judging others for their personal decision, that's just my personal decision.
This. My nephew died recently from covid and my friend's teen has long covid and has had neurological issues, severe fatigue, and other problems for over a year. The cost-benefit tradeoff is clear in my mind. Covid is bad bad bad stuff. I'll take my chance with the vax for my kids. Right now I mask everywhere indoors, if there are people around, to protect my kids.

You know there are other sports besides football. There's no need to speculate. I've been in so many crowds of thousands of people outdoors that I don't even think about covid in those situations anymore. Even last year when nobody was vaccinated, not one of these turned into super spreader events.

Enjoy the rest of your stupid discussion.

You know there are other sports besides football. There's no need to speculate. I've been in so many crowds of thousands of people outdoors that I don't even think about covid in those situations anymore. Even last year when nobody was vaccinated, not one of these turned into super spreader events.

Enjoy the rest of your stupid discussion.
If there is no need to speculate....there is little purpose in being here. That's all pretty much what everyone does here on every topic.
If you've been in "so many crowds of thousands" even before the vaccine....my advice would be to consider caution......your luck my be running out! :oops:

Well it’s true Sandy and her friends only care about the money. They care about the money over supporters’ lives. I have been buying season tickets for over 50 years. I have an autoimmune disease and heart issues. I am vaccinated. PSU is forcing me to choose between going to a game packed in with fans who are neither vaccinated or wearing masks or staying at home and losing non refundable motel rooms.
Please wake-up Sandy and friends. PSU please reconsider your decision, please don’t cave onto the minority and don’t allow a PSU football game to become a super spreader event.
With your health issues, masks wouldn’t be enough either. Seems like your only decision is to stay home and watch on TV regardless of what rules get implemented.

With your health issues, masks wouldn’t be enough either. Seems like your only decision is to stay home and watch on TV regardless of what rules get implemented.
Depends on the masks. N95 materially reduces risk if fitted well.

@PennSt8er According to the article I posted that is not accurate. Even those N95 s will allow a sizable percentage of aerosols to escape.

Worse, all the testing is done over a short time period. Doubt any were tested for longer than an hour.....probably less than a half hour. And in controlled laboratory settings.

Now compare that to wearing a mask for four hrs minimum walking through large crowds, entering restrooms, eating food, yelling at the terrible refferines! Talking to family, friends and neighbors, telling the coaches they are all wrong! Adjusting the mask often, wiping your brow on warm days, blowing into your hands on cold days, fight he wind. Allow all that exhaled particles to build up for four hours j less you change masks every hour.

After all that no mask is going to make difference. At this point it would all be for show and for liability protections.

Last edited:
@PennSt8er According to the article I posted that is not accurate. Even those N95 s will allow a sizable percentage of aerosols to escape.

Worse, all the testing is done over a short time period. Doubt any were tested for longer than an hour.....probably less than a half hour. And in controlled laboratory settings.

Now compare that to wearing a mask for four hrs minimum walking through large crowds, entering restrooms, eating food, yelling at the terrible refferines! Talking to family, friends and neighbors, telling the coaches they are all wrong! Adjusting the mask often, wiping your brow on warm days, blowing into your hands on cold days, fight he wind. Allow all that exhaled particles to build up for four hours j less you change masks every hour.

After all that no mask is goi g to make difference. At this point it would all be for show and for liability protections.
You have bad data.

It’s risk mitigation. The four hour scenario has people engaging in risky behavior (eg eating). However, there is ample evidence that N95 materially reduces relative risk to no masking. There may be a short encounter while eating or adjusting the mask etc. That’s a risk some may be willing to take. I am not. When I have the mask on, it’s well fitted and will not come off until I know I am alone and likely outside to avoid those risks you talk about.

Healthcare workers regularly face the 4 hours you talk about. They get greater protection with N95.

Healthcare workers regularly face the 4 hours you talk about. They get greater protection with N95.
Greater < 0. May be better than other masks but far from zero. Lots of healthcare workers contracted Wuhan and many died. And they often used negative air pressure systems, gloves, booties, and lots used gowns. And changed often throughout the day. Still got sick.

If you are confident that a N95 will keep you safe, I have no issue with that. Just trying to help by discussing all issues.

Your choice, I wish you well what ever you choose.

You should actually read that. It doesn't go over the realistic scenario that Spin laid out. Even more importantly, it focuses on the safety of the user, not the protection of other people. What can I say, I do care enough to read.

Greater < 0. May be better than other masks but far from zero. Lots of healthcare workers contracted Wuhan and many died. And they often used negative air pressure systems, gloves, booties, and lots used gowns. And changed often throughout the day. Still got sick.

If you are confident that a N95 will keep you safe, I have no issue with that. Just trying to help by discussing all issues.

Your choice, I wish you well what ever you choose.
My point is that many just won’t bother with masks at all, which to me seems baffling in light of the obvious safety benefits in close indoor spaces. Playing with fire. Ask my nephew’s soul.

After all that no mask is goi g to make difference. At this point it would all be for show and for liability protections.
BTW, this scenario is also why I think large assemblies are still irresponsible, until delta recedes significantly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT