ADVERTISEMENT

No masks at @ PSU @ outdoor events

it's in trials and the trial data indicate its efficacy and safety. Also, do you honestly think it won't be safe for 11 year olds if it has been taken safely by 12 year olds?
Well, when the FDA puts their seal of approval on it, children under 12 will be able to receive it. At this point, I’m not that concerned because according to aap.org, in states reporting, 0.00%-0.03% of all child COVID-19 cases resulted in death. While RSV rates of death are typically around 0.5-1.7% in younger children.

Well, when the FDA puts their seal of approval on it, children under 12 will be able to receive it. At this point, I’m not that concerned because according to aap.org, in states reporting, 0.00%-0.03% of all child COVID-19 cases resulted in death. While RSV rates of death are typically around 0.5-1.7% in younger children.

And with rates that low, what's the point of giving them the vaccine?

Both sides are selfish. On one side - make everyone wear a mask around me. On the other side - you can’t make me wear a mask.
mask side is not selfish. it's selfless. i wear a mask to protect you and my family. if others did the same, my nephew would still drink beer with me.

Reactions: dwiz
But it is accurate. It's not hard to research CDC/John's Hopkins data to find out.
it's safer than covid. we would have heard otherwise already, if there were serious effects in trials, and we know it's pending approval soon. as I stated earlier--do you think it's unsafe for 11 year olds when 12 year olds take it? the trials are about dosing for younger than that, primarily.

And with rates that low, what's the point of giving them the vaccine?
FFS. Kids get long covid. This is not about death. Everyone who stares at death stats are misleading themselves about the long term implications of surviving this disease. It's like saying there were X many deaths in war, but ignoring the PTSD, amputations, head injuries, ...

“The largest crowd in the world for a sports event showed up in joyous force on Sunday, 135,000 of them packing the stands at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It was only 40% of capacity”

By the way I am from Columbia. Does Ephrata high school still have the picture of Evelyn Ay in its foyer? How many of you know who Evelyn Ay is?
No googling.

Thats fine if it was only 40% capacity ....but multiple outlets estimated 135,000+ people there, and from the looks of the video there wasn't a ton of "social distancing".

Don't know about the Evelyn Ay pic..I didn't go to Ephrata H.S. and neither did my kids. But I imagine they do, as she is the only former Miss America from Pennsyvania - and from Ephrata to boot!

7812464a4db9fd1e3c9a5e2db0e64bbc.jpg

5f40129a3bfac.image.jpg

Last edited:
mask side is not selfish. it's selfless. i wear a mask to protect you and my family. if others did the same, my nephew would still drink beer with me.
I’m sincerely sorry about your nephew.

Most of us have been selfless since the beginning of Covid, wearing a mask non-stop when out and about. I don’t feel folks should have to continue to do so another 3, 6, 12, 18, 24+ months longer. People should be allowed to decide if the want to wear one sitting outside in the sun on a 90 degree day.

I am vaccinated. When I travel for work. I wear it in airports and planes. When I’m in an Uber or Lyft I ask about a mask. When I am meeting with clients, I ask if they want to wear masks or not. I wear them where and when required inside. I’ll be damned though if I am going to continue to have to wear them outside. If that makes me a selfish, self-centered a hole. Well then I’m guilty. And I assume the risk I could get sick or worse.

The US almost had control. Then people quit basic discipline, fueled by fatigue and misinformation, and delta hit. Until delta subsides significantly, it’s going to wreck areas where people are being too lax. Exponential math and network analysis can easily show it’ll kill someone in your orbit soon, if it hasn’t already. It’s just a matter of time.
Please stop. The US did not "almost have control". Delta was going to take a whack at the US no matter what we did, or how many people were vaxed. Delta is hitting areas that are locked down, and delta is hitting areas that are "being too lax". I am sorry about your anecdotal story about your nephew, but you need to stop with your nonsense.

Please stop. The US did not "almost have control". Delta was going to take a whack at the US no matter what we did, or how many people were vaxed. Delta is hitting areas that are locked down, and delta is hitting areas that are "being too lax". I am sorry about your anecdotal story about your nephew, but you need to stop with your nonsense.

just don't reply to him. a simple look at the UK and Isreal, the two most vaccinated countries in the world show that nothing was in control when Delta arrived.

it's in trials and the trial data indicate its efficacy and safety. Also, do you honestly think it won't be safe for 11 year olds if it has been taken safely by 12 year olds?
Im just reading the thread and have no strong opinion one way or the other. Well, i have an opinion on the entire matter of Vax/No Vax, MAsk/No Mask, but i wont die on any hill for sharing it. However, do you realize that you are essentially arguing out of both side of your mouth?

On one hand, you seem to want everyone to wear a mask for ultra-safety purposes. On the other hand, you also advocate children less than 12 taking the vaccination despite it not being approved as such. Those two points of view are not consistent in terms of a safety viewpoint you are championing. Carry on.

Masks haven't slowed covid spread anywhere in the world. But feel free to keep wearing one if it makes you feel better.

Sure they did - in Taiwan, along with effective quarantine, experienced leadership and a plan to deal with viruses, as well as preventative measures/social distancing in place everywhere (temp checks, etc.). Buying masks was the first thing most citizens did there.

They have a population of about 23mm and have had only 144 COVID cases (total) the past two weeks. Their 7-day average is 11 new cases a day. I asked some of my friends who are from Taiwan and they said people there take quarantine and the safety of others very seriously.

For the majority of healthy people, COVID will not be serious, if there are any symptoms. To your point, many people want to start living a normal life again. No masks, no lockdowns, no restrictions.

EDIT: Just to be clear, and before anyone overreacts to my points above, note that I said nothing about vaccination. Vaccinated or not, many healthy people want to live without restrictions. Secondly, for those who are immunocompromised and want to see mass masking for the “greater good”, that isn’t realistic. Many people will assess their own risk and make their own decision.

But if covid surges at your college, there may be no football. That will make a lot of people sad.

Just read that there are more than 100 new cases at Duke. And the semester is just starting.

Sure they did - in Taiwan, along with effective quarantine, experienced leadership and a plan to deal with viruses, as well as preventative measures/social distancing in place everywhere (temp checks, etc.). Buying masks was the first thing most citizens did there.

They have a population of about 23mm and have had only 144 COVID cases (total) the past two weeks. Their 7-day average is 11 new cases a day. I asked some of my friends who are from Taiwan and they said people there take quarantine and the safety of others very seriously.
A few things of interest that I found out about Taiwan is that, first they had the means of production to offer their citizens surgical masks which are effective in controlling the spread and kept the price of those masks very low (priced at NT$ 5 each, equivalent to USD 0.17 each)

Secondly, they also did not mandate masks in grades K-12 on the basis that students and teachers in those settings come in contact with the same people each day.

Third, I believe they didn’t mandate lockdowns until a surge in May 2021.

Reactions: Midnighter2
But if covid surges at your college, there may be no football. That will make a lot of people sad.

Just read that there are more than 100 new cases at Duke. And the semester is just starting.
Of course they are new cases. They just arrived and are testing almost daily at some colleges.

A few things of interest that I found out about Taiwan is that, first they had the means of production to offer their citizens surgical masks which are effective in controlling the spread and kept the price of those masks very low (priced at NT$ 5 each, equivalent to USD 0.17 each)

Secondly, they also did not mandate masks in grades K-12 on the basis that students and teachers in those settings come in contact with the same people each day.

Third, I believe they didn’t mandate lockdowns until a surge in May 2021.

Right. They essentially had it under control - pre-vaccine - with masks, quarantine, and other preventative measures. They were so successful that when the vaccines came out, many opted not to get them. Once their spike hit, they had to play catch up - but still, they got it back under control.

Im just reading the thread and have no strong opinion one way or the other. Well, i have an opinion on the entire matter of Vax/No Vax, MAsk/No Mask, but i wont die on any hill for sharing it. However, do you realize that you are essentially arguing out of both side of your mouth?

On one hand, you seem to want everyone to wear a mask for ultra-safety purposes. On the other hand, you also advocate children less than 12 taking the vaccination despite it not being approved as such. Those two points of view are not consistent in terms of a safety viewpoint you are championing. Carry on.
I am not advocating for children to take the vax until it’s approved. My point is that it will be and the supporting data indicates it’s safe

just don't reply to him. a simple look at the UK and Isreal, the two most vaccinated countries in the world show that nothing was in control when Delta arrived.
Delta is here. And all you “I’m too tired to care” people are placing yourselves and family in danger. Good luck.

it's safer than covid. we would have heard otherwise already, if there were serious effects in trials, and we know it's pending approval soon. as I stated earlier--do you think it's unsafe for 11 year olds when 12 year olds take it? the trials are about dosing for younger than that, primarily.
I didn't say the vaccine isn't safe relatively speaking. But the fact remains that based on data we have so far, hospitalizations per 100,000 people in that age group is lower for covid than it is for influenza. If you think that approving the vaccine for kids 11 and under is going to result in everyone running out to get their kids the vaccine you are wrong.

Reactions: blmr31
And the market for counterfeit vaccination cards grows.
Not really. You can just photocopy someone else's card and you'll get right in per LSU rules.
Go Tagers!

"A vaccination card, a photo or photocopy of a vaccination card, or verified digital proof of vaccination, including LA Wallet or another government-sanctioned mobile app, will be accepted, with entry granted upon visual inspection."

Reactions: BobPSU92
Not really. You can just photocopy someone else's card and you'll get right in per LSU rules.
Go Tagers!

"A vaccination card, a photo or photocopy of a vaccination card, or verified digital proof of vaccination, including LA Wallet or another government-sanctioned mobile app, will be accepted, with entry granted upon visual inspection."

it is easy enough to fake a card. You can simply print them off. however, if caught, it is a felony in many (others it is a misdemeanor) if not most, states. I am not sure about PA.

Go Tagers!

i mean think of the logistics of the guy taking the ticket having to 'verify' the vaccine passport or a negative test document.

First, the amount of time to get into the stadium is going to be insane unless they hire a ton more people to do this.

Second, how is some temporary worker who is making minimum wage going to be able to distinguish anything from a photo or a picture on a phone of a vaccine card (are they going to check your photo issued ID against the vaccine card name as well?).

i mean think of the logistics of the guy taking the ticket having to 'verify' the vaccine passport or a negative test document.

First, the amount of time to get into the stadium is going to be insane unless they hire a ton more people to do this.

Second, how is some temporary worker who is making minimum wage going to be able to distinguish anything from a photo or a picture on a phone of a vaccine card (are they going to check your photo issued ID against the vaccine card name as well?).

The same way the temp worker uses the metal detector to find any contraband between your neck and butt while you hold said contraband in your hands above your head.

Have you seen the videos of the vaccine proof checks at lollapalooza? It was a joke. There were 385,000 maskless, screaming people jam packed there OUTDOORS for 4 days. Where are the dead bodies pennst8er?

Reactions: blmr31
it is easy enough to fake a card. You can simply print them off. however, if caught, it is a felony in many (others it is a misdemeanor) if not most, states. I am not sure about PA.

They also got counterfeit vaccine cards for their kids, who aren’t old enough to be vaccinated. 🤦🏻‍♂️

UK is underreporting covid data on kids. I know this as fact.

Different countries report cases differently. For example, the US (and even moreso the UK) test out the wazoo, while other European countries may only ask for a test if they would consider it useful for diagnostic purposes. It really makes comparing data between countries almost impossible as the information is often very different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT