ADVERTISEMENT

NIL and PSU's pushback is gonna kill our records!

Jumping on this before @El-Jefe

giphy.gif
For me, this is the all time funniest gif when Jefe posted it for the first time. Others have come close but no cigar yet...

Not true*

I know of one (other than Gable) wrestler that has a 6 figure deal, and I know of another wrestler who's NILs will total in the 6 figures.
Cant wait till the championships and a wrestler that has a bunch of NIL deals wins then starts rattling off sponsors like he's a Nascar driver. Going to sound funny if it happens... lol

This whole situation is a giant clusterf&&k because of the NCAA and lack of leadership. Then you have three more entities that talk like they have the best interests of the athlete at heart. The U.S. Congress, state legislatures, and then....the universities. What could possibly go wrong. The Congress should have made a simple, ha, ha, ha, level playing field by law. It was the only way to keep a clean and fair system. Now we end up having 50 states with 50 different laws. Fking genius.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
This whole situation is a giant clusterf&&k because of the NCAA and lack of leadership. Then you have three more entities that talk like they have the best interests of the athlete at heart. The U.S. Congress, state legislatures, and then....the universities. What could possibly go wrong. The Congress should have made a simple, ha, ha, ha, level playing field by law. It was the only way to keep a clean and fair system. Now we end up having 50 states with 50 different laws. Fking genius.

Well. The NCAA tried to make a clean and fair system. The courts determined that the NCAA exceeded its authority. So now Congress is the logical group to make a law, if they care enough. But it’s not as if Congress’s law would be great, and it’s not as if Congress would’ve had any incentive to make a law back when the NCAA was still allegedly in charge. Congress can’t even prevent monopolies and unfair competition well enough in the regular economy, so they’re unlikely to do a good job in the world of sports, and unlikely to be eager to start trying.

Well. The NCAA tried to make a clean and fair system. The courts determined that the NCAA exceeded its authority. So now Congress is the logical group to make a law, if they care enough. But it’s not as if Congress’s law would be great, and it’s not as if Congress would’ve had any incentive to make a law back when the NCAA was still allegedly in charge. Congress can’t even prevent monopolies and unfair competition well enough in the regular economy, so they’re unlikely to do a good job in the world of sports, and unlikely to be eager to start trying.
No doubt, it will probably always be a sh&t show. But it's not like Emmert has a clue what he's doing.

FYI, OT Roye just committed to Penn State.

I think the NCAA began in an era where the idea of amateurism was plausible, and the tradeoff between the entertainment athletes were providing and the opportunities they were getting (scholarships and visibility) made some economic sense. Then, as entertainment changed, and numerous institutions rose to nurture and feed off what was becoming an increasingly profitable ecosystem, it became practically impossible, and unseemly, to deny students to feed off the same system for which they were the lifeblood. Protections and regulations in the name of keeping things "clean" started to look more and more like self interest.

So it's not really that the NCAA exceeded its authority so much as improved economic conditions gave rise to intellectual property issues and rights that aren't realistically present when everyone is broke. And the courts said that the NCAA couldn't hoard those, especially if your only argument is some outdated romantic notion of "amateurism," while you're raking in $1+b revenue yearly.

I'm going to write a bit more at some point on the idea of a federal NIL law but (a) I don't think it's as simple as everyone else seems to think because there are a lot of large moving parts (state vs federal enforcement? can there be federal preemption? school's power to nix deals?); and (b) I think Congress' and the courts' ignoring of antitrust issues has less to do with ability than willingness, and I don't see willingness being an issue here--the NCAA lost on both sides of the ideological aisle in court. But there's no template for any NIL law, no matter the scope (unless you count the state laws being hurriedly passed), and any law is going venturing into uncharted territory. But any federal law is probably still preferable to fifty different state laws, simply for the sake of simplicity.

… So it's not really that the NCAA exceeded its authority so much as improved economic conditions gave rise to intellectual property issues and rights … And the courts said that the NCAA couldn't hoard those
So the NCAA couldn’t hoard those IP rights. The hoarding of those rights was beyond their authority? :)

Oftentimes when writers say ”no, actually …”, they should have said “yes, in particular …”. :)

So the NCAA couldn’t hoard those IP rights. The hoarding of those rights was beyond their authority? :)

Oftentimes when writers say ”no, actually …”, they should have said “yes, in particular …”. :)
Well, my point wasn't to make what you said wrong, it was to provide some nuance, because decades prior there would have been no issue with the NCAA's authority to prohibit NIL deals in the name of preserving and promoting amateurism. Then conditions around them changed. But if you want to right, then sure, you're right.

Well, my point wasn't to make what you said wrong, it was to provide some nuance, …. But if you want to right, then sure, you're right.
It’s not [mainly] about my being right. It’s about precision and elegance in your expression [and consequently not falsely/unnecessarily saying somebody is wrong] . If you want to provide nuance, the better way is to say “yes, and in particular …” or similar.

There is literally no downside to saying it that better way. But if you like to say it your way, despite the inelegance of saying “it’s not that” to something that is literally correct, then go ahead.

If you have played with improv, you will know that “yes, and ...” is a magical, team-enhancing approach. And if you have worked with kids, you will know that “no” is a good way to rub people the wrong way and kill enthusiasm. If you want to be a good leader, you should adjust your communication style to, at a minimum, not say “no” when it is literally incorrect to say “no”.

Last edited:
It’s not about my being right. It’s about precision and elegance in your expression. If you want to provide nuance, the better way is to say “yes, and in particular …” or similar.

There is literally no downside to saying it that better way. But if you like to say it your way, despite the inelegance of saying “it’s not that” to something that is literally correct, then go ahead.

If you have played with improv, you will know that “yes, and ...” is a magical, team-enhancing approach. And if you have worked with kids, you will know that “no” is a good way to rub people the wrong way and kill enthusiasm. If you want to be a good leader, you should adjust your communication style to, at a minimum, not say “no” when it is literally incorrect to say “no”.

i love that in your first sentence you do exactly what you admonished him for doing.

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
i love that in your first sentence you do exactly what you admonished him for doing.
Huh? What do you mean? Are you trying to get me to lecture you on the evils of vagueness? Because I can give you 700 words on that. :)

Edit: Thank you, psumacw, for the good point. I have edited my post [in brackets] to hopefully be more clear and better. :)

Last edited:
RealSports on HBO is doing a segment on NILs tonight. Some dude is paying the whole BYU football team to promote his protein bars. He's paying the tuition for every walk on and giving the rest of the team $2,000 checks.

Who has a business to pay everybody's tuition for PSU wrestling?

• Wow
Reactions: Str8DBLz
AmerisourceBergen has some expendable $$ floating around out there aswell

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT