ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Tarburton/Shane Simmons

med2659

Aug 4, 2019
what is the story with Tarburton this year?...I think I see him on special teams but no DE playing time...I remember him playing as a true FR in his first game...I know he changed position and needed to add more weight but I can't imagine him giving less than say a Shane Simmons...injuries have taken a toll it looks on him...he looks so rigid out there...no power or speed to speak of...I saw Michigan's TE easily handling him, when against the OT it looked liked a HS player going against a college player...at this point he just has a great physique and nothing else...at least Tarburton would give u a motor at that spot

what is the story with Tarburton this year?...I think I see him on special teams but no DE playing time...I remember him playing as a true FR in his first game...I know he changed position and needed to add more weight but I can't imagine him giving less than say a Shane Simmons...injuries have taken a toll it looks on him...he looks so rigid out there...no power or speed to speak of...I saw Michigan's TE easily handling him, when against the OT it looked liked a HS player going against a college player...at this point he just has a great physique and nothing else...at least Tarburton would give u a motor at that spot

What meds are you on med?

On ST, you're thinking of Katshir. Nick was out early this year w/ reported back problems, and hasn't yet made it onto the field. He may actually be ready to go or close to it, but my guess is they're trying to preserve a redshirt for him at this point.

I agree w/ you on Simmons. I though he showed flashes early this year, but that was against some week competition. Hopefully, he can still find it -- going from memory, I think he has 2 full years left after this season

On ST, you're thinking of Katshir. Nick was out early this year w/ reported back problems, and hasn't yet made it onto the field. He may actually be ready to go or close to it, but my guess is they're trying to preserve a redshirt for him at this point.

I agree w/ you on Simmons. I though he showed flashes early this year, but that was against some week competition. Hopefully, he can still find it -- going from memory, I think he has 2 full years left after this season
Tarburton already redshirted. Simmons has one year left after this year.

sorry I thought I saw #46 on special teams this year...no need to throw insults at me, honest mistake...I've heard so little on him prior to the season and to now

They don't even play the same position for God's sake.

Tarburton looked good when he has had the chance to play and he is learning a new position. I think he has a high football IQ. I have seen him dressed for games this season but never with a helmet. Hopefully, he can have an impact next season.

They don't even play the same position for God's sake.
why r u sooo triggered...my god calm down...maybe you're the one that is on meds or go take some...I know Charlie Katshir is an OLB and Tarburton is an DE now...someone else (cavic) brought up Katshir in this thread not me...thought I saw Tarburton on sidelines in uniform this year and I THOUGHT I saw #46 on special teams...actually they r quite similar if u think it both recruited in same class, both 6-3 white linebackers coming out of HS...Tarburton might only have say 15 pounds more on him now

For all the hype about our DE's coming into the season my opinion through 7 games is that they have played pretty average so far. A great pass rush against weaker OLines, but not anything special against better teams. And they are extremely average against the run against better teams, which seems to get masked somewhat by our LB's flying all over the field.

The fact that Tarburton is hurt and not contributing, when he showed promise especially as a run defender playing DE, and Simmons really not being the player he might have been before getting injured, has contributed to YGM and Toney playing too many snaps and getting worn out against our better opponents.

And with YGM likely gone to the NFL after this season PSU will need at least a few DE's to step up going into 2020 or our DE run support will get worse. Hopefully Oweh's development continues at a rapid pace. Nice that Isaac is getting PT and seems to be developing, but I'm surprised that Beamon is not getting some playing time, although he may end up at DT. It's no wonder there are 4 DE's committed to the 2020 class.....

I hope Tarburton can contribute at some point, but this year looks unlikely. I think he could be a DE kind of like Justin Kurpeikas.

Don't agree about Simmons. imho he has definitely demonstrated improvement, and has been solid against the run and in contain, albeit not necessarily game changing. Perhaps the perceptions expressed above are based specifically on his pass rush / not getting sacks, but haven't noticed anything detrimental about his play, especially as a back-up, although he certainly hasn't had a "breakout" performance...

Reactions: 83wuzme
To anyone that thinks the DE's are average, I suggest you watch the games where we aren't getting to the QB. Gattis did a great job of getting the ball out in under 1.5 seconds so it negated the pass rush. There were maybe 3-4 plays where Patterson hung on to the ball and on those he rolled him out or Patterson was flushed out and found a hole in the middle of the field. Teams are actually....wait for it....wait for it....scheming to take the DE's out of the game by getting rid of the ball in under 2 seconds, if not quicker. Pry will have to see this sooner and adjust his DB's and LB's to take that away. It also helps to not blow the big leads so they cannot dink and dunk down the field.

Reactions: 83wuzme
I'm pretty sure Simmons is going against the other teams best offensive lineman (the Left Tackle) so you have to take that into consideration.

To anyone that thinks the DE's are average, I suggest you watch the games where we aren't getting to the QB. Gattis did a great job of getting the ball out in under 1.5 seconds so it negated the pass rush. There were maybe 3-4 plays where Patterson hung on to the ball and on those he rolled him out or Patterson was flushed out and found a hole in the middle of the field. Teams are actually....wait for it....wait for it....scheming to take the DE's out of the game by getting rid of the ball in under 2 seconds, if not quicker. Pry will have to see this sooner and adjust his DB's and LB's to take that away. It also helps to not blow the big leads so they cannot dink and dunk down the field.

I guess the question is why doesn't PSU do this to negate the pass rush?

I guess the question is why doesn't PSU do this to negate the pass rush?
They do at times, but they also like taking chances when teams are in man like we saw this weekend. Why do people think the same gameplan works against every single team? It's odd that people that follow football think every team on O or D does the same thing no matter what and never adjust. Sometimes they adjust and it works, sometimes it doesn't. This is at every level as well. The RPO in particular is about taking what is being given. Some teams disguise things better and some times you miss the ball or make the wrong read.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT