ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Lee's letter titled 'Thoughts on My First NCAA Championship'

creamery freak

Jul 26, 2014
Nick had a letter in the latest PSWC publication. He does a great job expressing his thoughts on his first of what this poster believes will be many championships. Below is a copy of Nick's letter.

Thoughts on My First NCAA Championship

By: Nick Lee

The NCAA tournament is a special tournament. No match prediction is safe, as I can personally attest to. See my first match freshman year. This year was especially unpredictable with the huge challenges brought on by COVID-19. Despite this, we landed in St. Louis with smiles on our faces, ready to have some fun. In my mind, every single person on our team can win. Our coaches feel the same way. While it did not ultimately work out that way, there was no doubt in my mind the capabilities of our team. This confidence in people like Roman, Aaron, and Carter, gives me confidence as well. Knowing that we all have the same training, the same support system, and the same belief in our own abilities is my most powerful tool going into the national tournament.

Each win is not a win for me. I do not feel like it is just me winning. I feel like it is a team effort, a whole family that has just accomplished something great. I feel the love from my coaches and teammates as if they had just won as well. This feeling is better than winning alone could ever be.

Going into the future, I hope future wrestlers at Penn State know that while big tournaments may feel like one man against the world, it is in fact a battle with yourself. Luckily, you are not alone. To fight your own doubts, you have coaches, teammates, staff, and family that will love you in the end win-or lose…but remember, it’s more fun to win.

Nick Lee epitomizes what it means to be a Penn State wrestler and we are so blessed to have him. Seems just like yesterday everyone threw a fit he got pinned in the first round in 2018. Admittedly, I was super nervous obviously. It was then he showed his perseverance and fought back for the team. Keep in mind, he probably wrestled the next 4 matches (first one against Josh Alber btw) thinking a loss here could end our team title chances.

All in all, I don't even care about his accolades and accomplishments ... he has a heart of gold, thinks about the team over himself always and is humble in victory or defeat. Whatever he chooses to do in life after his time here is up, he will excel at.

Wow! Not a word about not going to 149 next year. As the saying goes, where there is chopped wood, there is fire.

Love the Nick Lee. Nobody will ever say he lost a match because he didn’t get after it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT