ADVERTISEMENT

New NFL kickoff

So no more onside kick attempts?
The Washington Post stated that "An onside kick can occur, under the new rule, only during the fourth quarter and only by the trailing team. That team must declare its intention, and the alignment will revert to the traditional kickoff setup."

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
So that is the mandated formation every team must use? No more long returns.
Assuming that you're talking about the "standard" kickoff...there were some long returns in the XFL, but it cuts down on the big collisions. It also encourages more kick returns, since the touchback will now come out to the 30, so kickers will have more of an inventive to avoid touchbacks.

It worked well in the XFL I thought, but I'm sure that most will hate the change. I think it's a good move (sort of like moving back the extra point).

Reactions: Obliviax
The Washington Post stated that "An onside kick can occur, under the new rule, only during the fourth quarter and only by the trailing team. That team must declare its intention, and the alignment will revert to the traditional kickoff setup."
So what is an onside kick? Does it have to be less than 20 yds? Can you kick deep and hope for it to be booted? “Traditional kick off formation “….. can you overload one side or have to line up across the field?

And what yard line is used in an onside kick? This is shown at the opponent’s thirty five yd line making it more worth the risk.

Assuming that you're talking about the "standard" kickoff...there were some long returns in the XFL, but it cuts down on the big collisions. It also encourages more kick returns, since the touchback will now come out to the 30, so kickers will have more of an inventive to avoid touchbacks.

It worked well in the XFL I thought, but I'm sure that most will hate the change. I think it's a good move (sort of like moving back the extra point).
I agree. Only 20% of kickoffs were returned last year, an all-time low. The kickoff became anti-climactic and boring. Most are touchbacks meaning the players take big hits before they know the ball lands in the endzone and their effort was meaningless. I like the change. It lowers collisions and still keeps the kickoff in the game.

Reactions: NedFromYork
So what is an onside kick? Does it have to be less than 20 yds? Can you kick deep and hope for it to be booted? “Traditional kick off formation “….. can you overload one side or have to line up across the field?

And what yard line is used in an onside kick? This is shown at the opponent’s thirty five yd line making it more worth the risk.
I always hated onside kicks. If you can't beat a team, why have the tickery? Anyway, it looks like the team will declare an onside kick, but only in the 4th qtr, and they will have a traditional kickoff setup.

An onside kick can occur, under the new rule, only during the fourth quarter and only by the trailing team. That team must declare its intention, and the alignment will revert to the traditional kickoff setup.​

And most of those returned kicks have penalties that might negate a decent return.
yeah. I always wondered why any team tries to return kickoffs. But I suspect that the 20% falls into three categories. 1) the kicker doesn't kick it into the end zone often weather-related 2) the returning team just wants to try and catch the kicking team off guard 3) the team is losing big late and is hoping to get a long return for a momentum swing.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Also looks like they are going to change the trade deadline by moving it back two weeks. the idea is to a) let marginal playoff teams have a little more time to understand if they are in or out and b) to let playoff teams supplement for late-season injuries before the playoffs.

Reactions: NedFromYork

TBD...they still need to vote on the exact format and rules for the onsides kick.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
So many teams ahead in the 4th qtr will want to try an inside kick to run up the score I guess. Lol

Disagree. If it's within the rules and you can exploit it through surprise or personnel matchup weaknesses it still has to be game planned for and is a viable strategy. No less than a baseball bunt.
OK, we can agree to disagree. A bunt is within the boundaries of the constructs of the game. You get up to the plate and hit the ball. It is up to you to hit the ball, if you can, a far way, to the left, to the right, or short. It is part of the skill of the game and the strategy on offense versus defense.

An onside kick is totally outside the constructs of the game. It is a gimmick. The team is supposed to kickoff but can decide to kick it short when a completely different skill set, and indeed, luck come into play. With the ball not being round, there is no skill it is just hoping the ball takes a wild bounce.

Last year, 5.3% of onside kicks were recovered by the kicking team. I guess it adds some drama, but that is still being kept intact in the 4th quarter by the NFL.

Reactions: heckmans
What if it's windy and the kicking team needs a holder? Does the receiving team have to put a blocker deep or in the EZ or how does that work.

What if it's windy and the kicking team needs a holder? Does the receiving team have to put a blocker deep or in the EZ or how does that work.
I don't know but it looks like the play doesn't start until the receiving team catches the ball. The video that the media is showing uses a punter instead of a kicker so there would be no holder. But, I guess, if there was a holder, that person could get up and advance to some point before the receiver catches the ball. just guessing, of course. Great question though.

Last year, 5.3% of onside kicks were recovered by the kicking team. I guess it adds some drama, but that is still being kept intact in the 4th quarter by the NFL.
I would argue the drama is certainly mitigated by having to declare your intention, right? That a thing works 5% of the time doesn't negate it as a strategy in a game. But you are correct, we will disagree.

I don't know but it looks like the play doesn't start until the receiving team catches the ball. The video that the media is showing uses a punter instead of a kicker so there would be no holder. But, I guess, if there was a holder, that person could get up and advance to some point before the receiver catches the ball. just guessing, of course. Great question though.
OK, he punted it. Solves that mystery.

I would argue the drama is certainly mitigated by having to declare your intention, right? That a thing works 5% of the time doesn't negate it as a strategy in a game. But you are correct, we will disagree.
maybe but I'd suggest that we all knew it was coming anyway based on the way the kicking team lined up. Plus, the team that is winning typically has timeouts to call once they see the kicking team's formation.

Regardless, they are preserving the onside kick. the difference is that a) they have to declare and b) it has to be in the 4th quarter.

The video you put in your OP shows a place kicker, not a punter.

The video you put in your OP shows a place kicker, not a punter.
you are correct, my bad. But it was off of a tee, not a holder. So the poster's question still stands. Regardless, that is a consequence of having a holding in the old system and the new system. The holder is typically the safety who doesn't run downfield anyway but is responsible for contain if the returner breaks through the initial wave of defenders. This would probably be the same. just guessing, of course. We'll all know if due time.

you are correct, my bad. But it was off of a tee, not a holder. So the poster's question still stands. Regardless, that is a consequence of having a holding in the old system and the new system. The holder is typically the safety who doesn't run downfield anyway but is responsible for contain if the returner breaks through the initial wave of defenders. This would probably be the same. just guessing, of course. We'll all know if due time.
It shows kicking from the opponent’s 35 yd line. Every single kick would be in the stands. Unless they kick really high or squib kick…… which is almost an onside kick!

It shows kicking from the opponent’s 35 yd line. Every single kick would be in the stands. Unless they kick really high or squib kick…… which is almost an onside kick!
They'd have to make an adjustment given the quality of NFL kickers.

They'd have to make an adjustment given the quality of NFL kickers.
My bad. The kicker was actually at his own 30 yd line but the entire coverage team was at the opponent’s 35.

Really different. But as was asked previously if you need a holder on windy conditions it takes another guy way off the coverage.

My bad. The kicker was actually at his own 30 yd line but the entire coverage team was at the opponent’s 35.

Really different. But as was asked previously if you need a holder on windy conditions it takes another guy way off the coverage.
Agreed. but that is the same with a regular kickoff as well.

But in the old rules the holder was at the same yd line as cover team, just not running at full speed. He would act as a safety just behind the cover team.

With this system he would be 45 yds from his cover team.
yes and no.

In both systems, the teams deploy a safety. The holder is typically the safety. In a traditional system, that running head start is worth at least ten yards. Secondly, the holder may well be able to get up and run toward the LOS. the play doesn't start until the ball is caught.

Regardless, the issue is minimal. I like returns and if the return teams gets 11 on 9 (holder and kicker) that makes it more exciting and both teams benefit when receiving the ball. and this is only when the wind keeps the ball from staying on the tee.

equipment manager in a pinnie holds the ball and then runs to the sideline?

A holder is only used when the ball is being snapped (extra point) or if the ball will not stay on the tee on a kickoff (wind). I don't think that is going to change.

A holder is only used when the ball is being snapped (extra point) or if the ball will not stay on the tee on a kickoff (wind). I don't think that is going to change.
In the XFL, they had the option to punt or kick form a tee. I haven't seen the specifics around this, but if they go this same route with the rule, then you'd just punt if it's too windy (and many teams punted regardless if I recall).

“Maybe they should put skirts on them”

NFL rule changes

Kickoff - At first glance don't like it. Bad as fair catch in place the last couple of years. However, it will be better than all of the kickoffs into/out of the end zone and fair catches.

Tackling - give me a break FB is a collision sport; would have to see some solid statistics on Hip Tackles that caused injuries vs. other forms of injury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT