ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA creating Transfer Portal bedlum (article linked)

Class action law suit and end their crap for good. Talk about “the man in the high castle” syndrome. They still think they are relevant.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
pretty simple to me. beuracrats make up rules purely to enforce them to keep their job. so NCAA employs a lot of people in high paying jobs where they don't do much of anything. they see that their jobs are in jeopardy as the ncaa has no power anymore and there is no need to employ so many people in the ncaa at those high paying jobs. so they start making up crazy, stupid rules in order to remain relevant and keep their jobs. it is literally that simple.

pretty simple to me. beuracrats make up rules purely to enforce them to keep their job. so NCAA employs a lot of people in high paying jobs where they don't do much of anything. they see that their jobs are in jeopardy as the ncaa has no power anymore and there is no need to employ so many people in the ncaa at those high paying jobs. so they start making up crazy, stupid rules in order to remain relevant and keep their jobs. it is literally that simple.

Or, they are just stupid.

Reactions: BudatPSU
No student is actually stranded. Nothing is stopping them for registering for classes, and paying for it themselves. This is a non-issue.

That's complete crap - figures an ass like you would defend this bullshit. The only athletes who can replace a scholarship mid-year are Highschool athletes - this would conflict massively with what has been going on for years with Graduate Transfers and would conflict with what has been allowed in the "portal" the last several years.... AND DONE WITH ZERO NOTIFICATION TO STUDENT-ATHLETES. How in the hell were they supposed to "anticipate" that surrendering their grant in aid at their existing school would prevent them from getting a scholarship at their new school???

Reactions: dailybuck777

Well their screwing over hundreds of Student-athletes by doing this (including Graduate Transfers) - how on earth was a Student-athlete supposed to know they were going to change the rules mid-stream like this?

Reactions: dailybuck777
Well their screwing over hundreds of Student-athletes by doing this (including Graduate Transfers) - how on earth was a Student-athlete supposed to know they were going to change the rules mid-stream like this?

Not that it changes the point that much, but according to the article both early high school enrollees and graduate transfers could receive scholarships in spring semester. It would be non-graduated college transfers (which make up the bulk of the transfer portal) that are impacted.

Reactions: bison13
I have coached many players who have gone on to all levels of the NCAA to play football, basketball and baseball. The reason many of these kids do not have a new home is mostly their own fault. Many of them think they are going to be pros and do not have that level of skill or work ethic to get there. I try to tell them these things as they normally ask me my thoughts but generally their parents or friends and others tell them to keep thinking that because they aren't playing at some place like Eastern Michigan that Alabama should be knocking down their door.

Most of these kids should play non-power 5 or FCS or D2 or even go down to a D3 that they can get a good degree from since they wont be getting a free ride but probably can get more in need based aid.

No student is actually stranded. Nothing is stopping them for registering for classes, and paying for it themselves. This is a non-issue.
Yeah, brilliant. Would love to see you sit down with a few kids and their families and tell them this. Especially when their family consists of a poor mother with three or four kids....one or two with health problems..... and no father. Have you ever read about some of the conditions players overcome? The difficulties they have?

Yeah.....just write check for a couple semesters. Just brilliant.

Yeah, brilliant. Would love to see you sit down with a few kids and their families and tell them this. Especially when their family consists of a poor mother with three or four kids....one or two with health problems..... and no father. Have you ever read about some of the conditions players overcome? The difficulties they have?

Yeah.....just write check for a couple semesters. Just brilliant.
Nobody is making them transfer mid-year. They do it voluntarily. The decision is theirs and theirs alone. They own the consequences. There are solutions. Don't transfer, drop a level, sit out a semester, pay your own way. All of them are options. This is such a non-issue.

There are solutions. Don't transfer, kids want to play. And by playing some will get a shot at the pros. Will Levis would never have gotten a look if he didn’t transfer.drop a level, dropping down a level has serious financial impact as lower levels have less financial aid. sit out a semester, which could cost a kid any shotpay your own way. Already addressed that issueAll of them are options. This is such a non-issue.Yes crying about a mid season transfer is a non issue because the NCAA has already established time limits by creating portal windows.

Other than that tiny issue of many of these kids are from desperately poor families. But hey, why give a damn about that? They are here for our pleasure and have no right to complain or better their position in life!

As Greta would say...with tears in her eyes.....HOW DARE THEY!

This thread is on 🔥 all good opinions Now I'm going to throw a wrench into the fire.. This is why I supported JoePa, he was more concerned about the student getting a good education and becoming good citizens than just great football players. Just ask the Collins family.

Other than that tiny issue of many of these kids are from desperately poor families. But hey, why give a damn about that? They are here for our pleasure and have no right to complain or better their position in life!

As Greta would say...with tears in her eyes.....HOW DARE THEY!
Honestly though, if they are that poor they can go to a Division III school for free. I’ve had lots of former players of mine go to a place like stevenson here in md for nothing, provided their grades were good at their previous school.

Honestly though, if they are that poor they can go to a Division III school for free. I’ve had lots of former players of mine go to a place like stevenson here in md for nothing, provided their grades were good at their previous school.
Does that include room and board, book allowances, and other amenities that ease the cost of college?

Does that include room and board, book allowances, and other amenities that ease the cost of college?
yes all of it. For many baseball players with very good grades, D1 only gives partial scholarships, so going to a D3 is so much better financially. They give tons of academic money where places like PSU do not. Same with many D2 football teams, less scholarships due to not being fully funded but then they go to Randolph Macon for free.

D3 athletes get meal money and can do work study jobs to make cash since they tend to not have the same time away from school due to travel. Even kids who are not the best students out of HS get a ton of need based money, they just have to fill out teh forms.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
yes all of it. For many baseball players with very good grades, D1 only gives partial scholarships, so going to a D3 is so much better financially. They give tons of academic money where places like PSU do not. Same with many D2 football teams, less scholarships due to not being fully funded but then they go to Randolph Macon for free.

D3 athletes get meal money and can do work study jobs to make cash since they tend to not have the same time away from school due to travel. Even kids who are not the best students out of HS get a ton of need based money, they just have to fill out teh forms.
Surprised the DIII has better offers then DI or DII. Kinda weird as their programs can’t make money with little ticket sales and near zero tv money.

Surprised the DIII has better offers then DI or DII. Kinda weird as their programs can’t make money with little ticket sales and near zero tv money.
If they aren’t state schools like psu or iup they can give so much more based on need. Think grove city, thiel etc.

D3 schools don’t give out athletic scholarships; that’s pretty much the defining trait of D3. A player could drop down to D2 and get an athletic schollie though.

Google search colleges that meet 100% of demonstrated financial need. Places like Dartmouth are going completely free everything for families earning less than $125k....Little Ivies and that ilk have mostly followed. Even regional Privates like F&M are there...kids who have talent and can get in have many options...

Google search colleges that meet 100% of demonstrated financial need. Places like Dartmouth are going completely free everything for families earning less than $125k....Little Ivies and that ilk have mostly followed. Even regional Privates like F&M are there...kids who have talent and can get in have many options...
Minor league football would help some of these players. They could play, improve their skills and workout measurables, while earning a few dollars. They could keep their NFL dreams alive. The down side is that they would forego the free education.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Minor league football would help some of these players. They could play, improve their skills and workout measurables, while earning a few dollars. They could keep their NFL dreams alive. The down side is that they would forego the free education.
The NFL will never support "minor league football" and unless they do like MLB and the NBA with the G-League it has no chance of surviving/existing.

Reactions: bison13
In many ways the "free education" model has been replaced by "get me to the League" or "extend my kids athletic career" models. The actual "education" side isn't always the primary goal anymore.

At my school many D2/3 athletes parents do pay a premium to continue sports...and very often kids quit after their freshman year. More people were at their high-school games and many feel trapped by being pigeonholed as a "jock" at some small schools.They are burned out and the game is no longer fun.

I taught at St. Joe's for 7 years and the softballplayers I had hated playing...it killed their social lives all year with Fall tournaments, Spring Training in Florida and then a 3 week Southern swing until the weather in Philly changed. But they got roughly $300k of education benefits so many took the ride...eventhough some were from the West and Midwest and knew nothing of the school.

Like everything...there are pros and cons...but if you are a one trick athletic pony who only cares about playing then your options will be more limited.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT