ADVERTISEMENT

Yurcich became a Cancer

I forgot who those 2-3 missed portal targets were anymore, but how have they been doing at the schools we lost out to?

Devin Carter 26 481 2TDs
Jimmy Horn Jr 54 536 6TDs
Kaden Prather 37 523 5TDs
Deonte Thornton 13 224 1TD
Dorian Singer 23 276 3TDs

Carter is the only guy who is #1 at his school. They all have better stats than Cephas though. KLS has better stats than any of them believe it or not.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Because he never showed up for his job. How soon we forget.
Did anyone really show up that season? We were second in pints and yards per game in the Big that year.

Franklin had said that Mike was someone he wanted for the last two or three years but he was never available.

Did anyone really show up that season? We were second in pints and yards per game in the Big that year.

Franklin had said that Mike was someone he wanted for the last two or three years but he was never available.
He didn't come to PSU

apparently creating a toxic environment among offensive coaching staff. Singleton had one eye on the transfer portal.
i heard a rumor, @Concealed Carry ...

• the OC and DC come up with a game plan. they review it with CJF
  • MY would review it with CJF, CJF would make requests, MY would modify the plan until both were happy
  • When the game came up, MY would roll with his plan and not put CJF's request into the play calling in-game
  • CJF would call him out between series and an argument would ensue.
  • Allar was very confused trying to please both coaches and hindering his comfort calling plays at the LOS
  • The rest of the team noted it
This is why CJF is using terms like there is better "collaboration" this week. He also responded to a reporter asking why PSU wasn't running easy passes to get Allar "in a rhythm" and CJF responded with "we asked for that". This is an implication that he wanted this but MY didn't call it.

The person that told me this knows the tOSU team very well. He told me that the tOSU coaching staff was aware of the problem and hopeful that early tOSU success would cause a problem with out coaching staff.

Just a rumor with no facts but thought I share and see what you thought.

Reactions: 81b&w and bison13
i heard a rumor, @Concealed Carry ...

• the OC and DC come up with a game plan. they review it with CJF
  • MY would review it with CJF, CJF would make requests, MY would modify the plan until both were happy
  • When the game came up, MY would roll with his plan and not put CJF's request into the play calling in-game
  • CJF would call him out between series and an argument would ensue.
  • Allar was very confused trying to please both coaches and hindering his comfort calling plays at the LOS
  • The rest of the team noted it
This is why CJF is using terms like there is better "collaboration" this week. He also responded to a reporter asking why PSU wasn't running easy passes to get Allar "in a rhythm" and CJF responded with "we asked for that". This is an implication that he wanted this but MY didn't call it.

The person that told me this knows the tOSU team very well. He told me that the tOSU coaching staff was aware of the problem and hopeful that early tOSU success would cause a problem with out coaching staff.

Just a rumor with no facts but thought I share and see what you thought.

Totally believable, seeing the obvious confusion and hesitancy by players on offense. Which is why I was critical of going with co-coordinators. Guess we'll see if it was a bad idea this weekend.

Reactions: bison13
Which is why I was critical of going with co-coordinators.

Co-coordinators is commonplace nowadays and doesn't mean the same it did when Galen Hall showed up to train Jay P and we supposedly did have one calling the runs, the other the passes.

As long as one guy is making the calls on Saturday, co-OCs through the weeks should just mean collaboration.

Co-coordinators is commonplace nowadays and doesn't mean the same it did when Galen Hall showed up to train Jay P and we supposedly did have one calling the runs, the other the passes.

As long as one guy is making the calls on Saturday, co-OCs through the weeks should just mean collaboration.
Obviously you’re on the front part of what could be one of those “Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst” scenarios.

Reactions: lazydave841
apparently creating a toxic environment among offensive coaching staff. Singleton had one eye on the transfer portal.

Yurcich‘s firing came much too late. He basically wasted Singleton’s talent by calling those Larry Csonka era run plays up the middle. Joel Klatt did an excellent analysis where he points out the mis-use of Nick Singleton in the Yurcich system.

Last edited:

Agreed. I think the difference is one in the booth and one on the field. There has always been this controversy as to where the OC should be. The booth is great but you don't get that on-field vibe and miss the small nuance (KLS needs a breather and got dinged up for a play or two, who do we go with and how does that affect the play calling?). The booth is more strategic: this is what we should do given how they are defending us and the game situation. The sideline is more tactical: who is hurt, who needs a confidence booster, who needs a breather, what is the personnel package needed, etc.

I figure the two have to ID the play in about ten seconds so they can get it to the QB with 25 to go on the replay clock. he tells the O and they get about 15 seconds at the LOS to change or set and go. Something like this concluding a second down play

• booth coach: looks like the refs are going to mark it as 3rd and 3, maybe 4
  • field coach: KLS took a shot on his block and needs a play
  • booth: defense has been running a single safety on film and in these situations, with a five man front
  • field coach: quick out to the WR?
  • booth: not with KLS out. Lets go with a TE dig over the middle with a slant behind him as option 2. RB, is the underneath option (of course, this would just be a play). Lets get Singeton on the field and get Kaytron off.
  • field: OK, that means we'll need formation X with two TEs and two WRs. good?
  • booth: good
  • field: (yelling) team package X, team package X...two TEs and two WRs, Singleton in.
  • Field: to signalcallers: package X, formation Y, play Z
  • Allar: Huddle, formation Y, play Z on go!
  • booth: defense came out in a nickel formation. two S deep. switch off to TE bubble screen? Out of this package this is our best option
  • Field: Agreed
  • Field: Check, Check, Check....Field coach tells signal callers to play
  • Allar: Check, Check, Check...Omaha, Omaha, Omaha. Team resets
  • Ball is hiked and play is executed.

Is that about right?

Agreed. I think the difference is one in the booth and one on the field. There has always been this controversy as to where the OC should be. The booth is great but you don't get that on-field vibe and miss the small nuance (KLS needs a breather and got dinged up for a play or two, who do we go with and how does that affect the play calling?). The booth is more strategic: this is what we should do given how they are defending us and the game situation. The sideline is more tactical: who is hurt, who needs a confidence booster, who needs a breather, what is the personnel package needed, etc.

I figure the two have to ID the play in about ten seconds so they can get it to the QB with 25 to go on the replay clock. he tells the O and they get about 15 seconds at the LOS to change or set and go. Something like this concluding a second down play

• booth coach: looks like the refs are going to mark it as 3rd and 3, maybe 4
  • field coach: KLS took a shot on his block and needs a play
  • booth: defense has been running a single safety on film and in these situations, with a five man front
  • field coach: quick out to the WR?
  • booth: not with KLS out. Lets go with a TE dig over the middle with a slant behind him as option 2. RB, is the underneath option (of course, this would just be a play). Lets get Singeton on the field and get Kaytron off.
  • field: OK, that means we'll need formation X with two TEs and two WRs. good?
  • booth: good
  • field: (yelling) team package X, team package X...two TEs and two WRs, Singleton in.
  • Field: to signalcallers: package X, formation Y, play Z
  • Allar: Huddle, formation Y, play Z on go!
  • booth: defense came out in a nickel formation. two S deep. switch off to TE bubble screen? Out of this package this is our best option
  • Field: Agreed
  • Field: Check, Check, Check....Field coach tells signal callers to play
  • Allar: Check, Check, Check...Omaha, Omaha, Omaha. Team resets
  • Ball is hiked and play is executed.

Is that about right?

Agreed.

I'd also like to see a change in how we deploy our RBs. I'm not a big fan of series 1 and 2 go to Singleton, series 3 and 4 to Allen. More strategy and more subbing within the drives.

An example I can think of is vs OSU. Singleton rips off a 20 and 15 yard run back to back. Bring Allen in then either hit em with another gut shot with a fresh back or PA hard to something. Particularly if we aren't running hurry up on the 1st downs.

Also, this year, we seem to have the same runs for both backs. Singleton needs outside runs mixed in with our zone game. Allen needs inside runs, traps, counters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT