ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA at it again (link)

They'll be able to field some pretty good teams if boosters put up the athletes pictures on Sunset Boulevard. They'll HAVE to compensate the athletes to comply with the law. Sweet.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I hope California does make this a law. It'll force the NCAA to put up or shut up. Penalizing members schools because the NCAA opposes a law passed in their state is a recipe for disaster. The schools wouldn't have passed the law but the NCAA wants to impose de facto penalties on them because they happen to be located in a given state?? That's nuts. I know - $$$$. What's next?? The NCAA decides marijuana is bad therefore teams from Washington and Colorado will be barred from competition??

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Ski
i realize that California tends to think of themselves as an independent country, but that type of legislation would seem to be a federal matter, not a state matter.

If Athletes Image became a federal law, the ncaa could ban all colleges and universities from championship competition. That would be awesome.

i realize that California tends to think of themselves as an independent country, but that type of legislation would seem to be a federal matter, not a state matter.

Why is it a Federal matter. Law only applies to athletes attending schools in California.

Reactions: PS4814

Why would the feds get involved? The law would allow student athletes to make money on their likeness, what federal law is being violated?

As long as they’re legal to work in the US there’s nothing for the feds to worry about. I hope this passes and every other state follows suit to expose the NCAA’s hypocrisy and corruption.

Last edited:
this would change college athletics. big schools would build marketing departments to promote athletes. schools in major media markets would thrive far more than others. whats good for a student athlete isnt always good for college athletics

Let's say the NCAA acted on its threat. What would stop the California schools from leaving the NCAA and thus the Pac 10 would follow or cease. Either way it could be the end of the NCAA.

Isn't the monopoly law somehow involved? especially if the ncaa says Cali schools can't compete for national titles? Not predicting the outcome, you realize, just asking the question?

Let's say the NCAA acted on its threat. What would stop the California schools from leaving the NCAA and thus the Pac 10 would follow or cease. Either way it could be the end of the NCAA.

$$$$ would stop them from leaving the NCAA

Isn't the monopoly law somehow involved? especially if the ncaa says Cali schools can't compete for national titles? Not predicting the outcome, you realize, just asking the question?
I think all the NCAA would have to do is declare any athlete who accepts money via selling there image ineligible to compete. The schools in California would have a very difficult time competing since they could not field a team.

The NCAA would win in any lawsuit. Colorado allows the recreational use of marijuana, test positive and the NFL will suspend the player.

It would be interesting to see how this would play out. California schools could have difficulty recruiting if the player was ineligible or could not compete for NCAA championships. OTOH it could be a boon for recruiting for California schools since the players could make extra money.

The money they get from the NCAA isn't all that much, not trivial, but not make or break.

Directly yes, but they'd be stuck with a schedule of only other California teams since no out of state teams would be allowed to play them. Fan interest would dwindle fast with nothing for any team to play for. Merchandising would suffer. No TV deal money.

Last edited:
I hope California does make this a law. It'll force the NCAA to put up or shut up. Penalizing members schools because the NCAA opposes a law passed in their state is a recipe for disaster. The schools wouldn't have passed the law but the NCAA wants to impose de facto penalties on them because they happen to be located in a given state?? That's nuts. I know - $$$$. What's next?? The NCAA decides marijuana is bad therefore teams from Washington and Colorado will be barred from competition??
Remember the NCAA is an organization and doesn’t have to take every college as a member. They can simply say that California schools can no longer be a memeber and they can join the NAIA. Keep in mind even though marijuana is legal in those states athletes who use it still face the same sanctions as in states where it illegal.

Remember the NCAA is an organization and doesn’t have to take every college as a member. They can simply say that California schools can no longer be a memeber and they can join the NAIA. Keep in mind even though marijuana is legal in those states athletes who use it still face the same sanctions as in states where it illegal.

That's not the point which is the NCAA wanting to impose de facto penalties on member institutions simply because said institutions are located in states which may have passed a law the NCAA doesn't like. The universities would have done absolutely nothing wrong but would essentially be frozen out of real competition. The NCAA would never impose any sort of penalty on a member institution which wasn't in violation of any NCAA rule, would they?? We all know the answer to that. I also know the NCAA won't be happy unless they get their $$$.

Sure, the NCAA isn't required to accept any college. But should they put themselves in a position where they get to decide if laws passed by the states are acceptable? If a law such as that proposed in California was passed by the feds the NCAA would have no choice but to move to Canada.

So the NCAA thinks it's ok if THEY profit from the athlete's image, but wrong if the athlete does?

I'd like to see them defend THAT in court.
I don't think that is their issue with it. I think that the NCAA is saying that, if California allows players to be paid, it would give their schools a competitive advantage over schools from other states. As I said earlier, the law would allow boosters (and the universities?) to funnel all sorts of money to a player by simply putting his picture up somewhere.

Directly yes, but they'd be stuck with a schedule of only other California teams since no out of state teams would be allowed to play them. Fan interest would dwindle fast with nothing for any team to play for. Merchandising would suffer. No TV deal money.

How can the NCAA prevent other teams from playing California schools? With regard to TV money, again, the NCAA has no control

The NCAA could kiss its ass goodbye if it did that.

The NCAA's initial statement only said that CA schools paying players MAY be banned from competing in NCAA championships (i.e., the basketball tourneys). They so far have not said they would be kicked out of the PAC or stopped from playing non-CA schools. And it is interesting that the college football playoff is NOT an NCAA championship. It is recognised by the NCAA, but it isn't organized by the NCAA.

People are jumping way ahead of matters. The CA schools are hoping more states jump on board. If CA is the only state that passes such a law it is doubtful any athletes are going to see over the table paydays.

My guess is you haven't spent any time in California or know very many people who have. Property rights are generally creatures of state law, not federal, and California was one of the first states to enact a statute protecting the use of one's likeness from commercial exploitation, sometimes referred to as a right to publicity. California is still one of fewer than 20 states that have such a statute, although right of publicity is protected by court decisions in some other states, including PA.

Reactions: PS4814
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT