ADVERTISEMENT

National Duals set

Doesnt look like the formula I thought they were supposed to use? Highest Ranked BIG Team against Highest Ranked Non-BIG team? What the heck?

Reactions: lionlover
Top potential match-ups:

tOSU v. Cornell -- Realbuto v. BoJo, Dean v. Martin
Neb. v. VT -- Lambert v. Dance, Berger v. Mastriani, Dudley v. Zavatsky, Studebaker v. Haught
Rut. v. Lehigh -- Ashnault v. R.Cruz, Theobold v. Gardner
Iowa v. Edinboro -- Gilman v. Russell, Clark v. Myers, Sorensen v. Lugo, Brooks v. Geer

Reactions: papride1
Doesnt look like the formula I thought they were supposed to use? Highest Ranked BIG Team against Highest Ranked Non-BIG team? What the heck?

Sad really.... Sorry, but the people defending Brands/Iowa on this are all wet......all school's agreed to this "structure" two years ago and Iowa is welching on their commitment to what was agreed (just as they did last year - and they clearly politiced "the selection committee" behind closed doors and "off the record" both last year and this year despite lamely claiming they didn't do such a thing last year. Really disingenuous bull$hit which is harmful to the sport being pulled here by Brands and Iowa imho).

That doesn't make a darn bit of sense. No MAC representative, not pairing up according to rankings....this is a sham.

I understand why Iowa wouldn't want VT, I vehemently disagree with those reasons, but why are they, as the #2 team in the B1G not wrestling Cornell, or Lehigh, or NC ST. Edinboro is the lowest ranked non B1G team of all participating teams, how did Iowa get paired with them?

Last edited:
Any respect I had for Brands is gone. The dual should be scheduled. If Iowa doesn't go, it should be reflected as a loss on each wrestler's record for seeding purposes and a dual loss for Iowa. Committee has no balls.

You'll rarely find me take the side of the NWCA at the Div 1 level (they do a masterful job in the lower levels), but they have been neutered by the Power Programs/Coaches. They have no real power and while Im ok with that in regard to changing the NC, this is the result of that Power not being in Manheim, Minny, Columbus, Cornell, Columbia.

Sucks but it is what is. I assume this will be a major topic of discussions after the NC and when they head to the annual conference in FL.

Roar I love your ideas! I do think the committee decided if Iowa was not going to take on VT then they would drop to the bottom of the pack and wrestle the lowest ranked team they could without effecting a ranked team's chances of a marquee team in their own gym.

I'm sure the Iowa fan base is not excited even though they understand why Brands is refusing!

If they are going to allow teams to dictate who they will and will not wrestle, this whole Dual Championship Series needs to be scrapped here and now. 2nd ranked BTen against 24th ranked Edinboro - what a joke.

The benefit for Edinboro is a probably a sellout that is not currently in their budget projections. But I think the NWCA gets some of the gate, so how much goes to Boro in the end, who knows. Outside of that, not sure what Edinboro gets for the bloodbath they will get.

Good for Edinboro They get to make some coin. Iowa has to fly to Edinboro. Ha ha. ChickenHawks.

Time to kill this experiment. If you want non traditional dual matches, schedule them.

PSU @ Oklahoma State

Purdue @ South Dakota St.
Rutgers @ Lehigh
Michigan @ North Carolina State
Iowa @ Edinboro
Ohio State @ Cornell
Indiana @ Appalachian State
Nebraska @ Virginia Tech

http://www.nwcaonline.com/2017-nwca-national-duals-championship-series-pairings-set/

Why no Missouri or NIU??? Why is daO$U not wrestling VaTech, rather than UNL, if they are the stand-in #2 B1G team for Iowa, who is refusing to wrestle the non-B1G #2? Why would the non-B1G #2, VaTech, be relegated all the way down to UNL who lost to daO$U in their head-to-head dual 24-13??? These pairings are complete bull$hit outside of undefeated and #1 B1G PSU facing off against undefeated and #1 non-B1G Okie State....and the reason they are a complete clusterphuck is precisely what Dresser alleged last year! (really said that the NWCA came out and attempted to attack and discredit Dresser last year who was merely speaking the simple truth, which is quite clear at this point, - really sad look for the sport that Dresser is the party who was attacked last year for calling bull$hit on the NWCA.....really sad imho.).

There can be only one conclusion, the NWCA Dual Championship series gets the death penalty.

Reactions: Antaeus
Wait, isn't this Cael's master plan after single-handedly destroying the National Duals?

Thank God we are PSU fans. We actually get to watch an exciting (potentially) dual. The only other dual that looks interesting is the OSU/Cornell dual.

Roar I love your ideas! I do think the committee decided if Iowa was not going to take on VT then they would drop to the bottom of the pack and wrestle the lowest ranked team they could without effecting a ranked team's chances of a marquee team in their own gym.

I'm sure the Iowa fan base is not excited even though they understand why Brands is refusing!

Not really.......because if it were just a case of Iowa dropping, daO$U would be facing VaTech, not UNL, as daO$U was the next B1G team in line via their 24-13 trashing of UNL in their head-to-head dual (i.e., daO$U's 2 dual losses were to Iowa and PSU, while UNL's were to PSU and daO$U). As far as I can tell, it is the B1G teams not living up to what they agreed to in regards to this structure, not the non-B1G teams - just as Dresser alleged last year.

Wait, isn't this Cael's master plan after single-handedly destroying the National Duals?

i dont see us ducking competition, probably should redirect your troll.

The system gave us a true #1 vs #2 and will crown a true champ. its easy on the competitors at a critical time of the year and the fans will still get to see some good match ups across the weekend. Not what we wanted but that is not this programs fault. #alittleofsomethingbetterthanalotofnothing

Reactions: NittanyLion84
...so #3 Iowa ducks #5 Va Tech, #7 NC St, #8 Cornell, #11 Lehigh, #17 S Dakota St and #20 Appalachian St - to wrestle #24
Edinboro !

...and once again the NWCA worships at the feet of Coach Brands...

..why am I not surprised????...

Last edited:
Reactions: Creek Side

:rolleyes: you mean the fact that only a handful of people turned out to watch the "National Duals Tourney" didn't destroy it??? I guess it's Cael's fault that Iowa also didn't attend this money-losing, non-event boondoggle??? LMFAO, you really are a tool of the highest magnitude.

Take it up with J Rob for pre-scheduling the Goofers out of it, in order to face a powerhouse 1-11 team. For who? For what?

Seems like 1 of 2 things going on here.

1. This is punishment of Iowa for refusal to play last year.
2. Kevin Dresser was right.

Edit: I was wrong. There's a third option: 1 & 2.

Last edited:
I'm liking the second rounds of PSU/OSU and Lehigh/Rutgers and not much else except tOSU/Cornell and VT/Nebby in this year's lineup. I'll admit one of the reasons I like Lehigh/Rutgers is that it's two schools that are geographically close to each other, that used to wrestle each other in the EIWA and that I can get to easily to watch. Last year's match was a good, competitive one and I think this year's will be also - and I'll get to be there.

Iowa getting Boro is a freaking joke. Agreed.

Brands needs to stop having his program being on par with VT. 2 years in a row slotted with VT shows they are closer to being Iowa's equal than Iowa fans would want to admit.

Ouch. That slap leaves a sting.

Reactions: RandyL
It this still being televised on NBC Sports? Onward State says it has been changed from NBC to only being broadcast on Flowrestling?

Top potential match-ups:

tOSU v. Cornell -- Realbuto v. BoJo, Dean v. Martin
Neb. v. VT -- Lambert v. Dance, Berger v. Mastriani, Dudley v. Zavatsky, Studebaker v. Haught
Rut. v. Lehigh -- Ashnault v. R.Cruz, Theobold v. Gardner
Iowa v. Edinboro -- Gilman v. Russell, Clark v. Myers, Sorensen v. Lugo, Brooks v. Geer

What are the odds on BOTH those Tans vs. Sunburns matchups happening? Is the over/under south of 1.0?

Cael: ... based on a simple policy we all agreed to ...

Now we know that Brands is a man who cannot distinguish between his personal interests and his duty to his obligations. Never, ever, choose such a man to be a trustee or leader of anything big. Such a man can be good for being an individual contributor or small-team leader, but not for being a leader who is entrusted with a greater, collective good.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT