ADVERTISEMENT

My challenge to the Paterno haters and their BS logic

I agree that the BoT went miles beyond the line. But Paterno didn't help the situation. Clearly there was a very broken relationship. Regardless of who you are, you don't tell you're employer how to handle your employment in a public letter in such a volatile scenario. Joe (or his son) was wrong there. Both parties could have and should have handled the situation in a more professional manner.

Yada yada yada. He tendered is resignation; the BoT was no hateful they wanted to humiliate JVP.

It was news to AJ Weberman.

AJ Weberman is irrelevant.

There is no reason to believe that JoePa or his family had anything to do with Ray Gricar's sudden departure from the scene.

I don't understand why Scott Paterno continually engages with folk like Weberman who are irrelevant --- but it appears Scott did it yet again. Just ignore them.

Great advice.

My advice occasionally is useful.

I'll work for free - Scott wouldn't have to pay me a dime if he wished to hire me as an advisor.

If nothing else, it would be better than the ROI the Paterno family got out of Wick "$1500 an hour" Sollers.

I read tweets like this:

and I smack my head.

Joe had FOUR losing seasons from 2000-2004, DURING the alleged cover up of Sandusky.

ok haters, explain how that logic works.

I'll wait.

You are a total troll with this post.

But perhaps you could explain how Penn State's very lax-to-non-existent PED testing and PED-punishment policies while Paterno was coach had nothing to do with success on the field?

But perhaps you could explain how Penn State's very lax-to-non-existent PED testing and PED-punishment policies while Paterno was coach had nothing to do with success on the field?

You're a total dolt. Welcome to ignore.

Yeah....PSU was known for being a juice farm while being on HIT under JT....tons of juicing going on? LOL....they often lit up the combine with the highest scores...nope, not that either. Does that mean no player ever did anything wrong in HV...not at all, but you are hinting at some type of long term issue there. Clearly you back it up with some medical proof of the problem or past players talking about the juice being forced down their throats?

Did he coach to long...sure...was he perfect....nope. Does that mean idiots who didn't like him before won't continue to pile...sure, but at least bring something legit to the table. If your hinting at some longtime PED use there.....by all means please do back it up. If not, you are basically saying you'll make sh!t up if you have to. Not policing something that isn't an issue isn't always a sign of their being a problem....quite the opposite sometimes.

Reactions: denniskembala
if you are implying paterno handcuffed the program, I'd love to see your logic. As has been stated a million times but anyone that knows the facts, paterno didn't contribute the the Sandusky problems and, in fact, followed NCAA, University and the law to a T.

Tell that to his statue and reputation.

Yeah....PSU was known for being a juice farm while being on HIT under JT....tons of juicing going on? LOL....they often lit up the combine with the highest scores...nope, not that either. Does that mean no player ever did anything wrong in HV...not at all, but you are hinting at some type of long term issue there. Clearly you back it up with some medical proof of the problem or past players talking about the juice being forced down their throats?

Did he coach to long...sure...was he perfect....nope. Does that mean idiots who didn't like him before won't continue to pile...sure, but at least bring something legit to the table. If your hinting at some longtime PED use there.....by all means please do back it up. If not, you are basically saying you'll make sh!t up if you have to. Not policing something that isn't an issue isn't always a sign of their being a problem....quite the opposite sometimes.

Not only didn't police but actively fought against testing.

I'm not suggesting anything except that if he did stay too long, as some say, that mediocre recruiting and play-calling may have been granted an assist.

Why does PED use necessarily translate to lighting up the combine? It can turn great players into all-timers, sure. It can also turn average players into pretty-good players, or at least a bit bigger/stronger/faster.

Paterno testified to Congress in 1989 that some of his players used steroids and that it gave those players an advantage.

If all you require is a figurehead as Head Coach then no. Those of us that believe
if he loved PSU as much as advertised he should have stepped down. Since he refused do so, then firing was the proper option.
Show me the B1G team with a better record since 1994. Show me what he did to justify being fired.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Not only didn't police but actively fought against testing.

I'm not suggesting anything except that if he did stay too long, as some say, that mediocre recruiting and play-calling may have been granted an assist.

Why does PED use necessarily translate to lighting up the combine? It can turn great players into all-timers, sure. It can also turn average players into pretty-good players, or at least a bit bigger/stronger/faster.

LOL, you really think PSU was a PED farm. Can you at least link the articles of Joe speaking out aginst PED testing? If they did....they need to get a sh!tload of money back from 95 on. You are basically floating crap now...so at least back it up.

Paterno testified to Congress in 1989 that some of his players used steroids and that it gave those players an advantage.
You realize what he testified to...right. You do know that Joe Paterno isn't Tom Osbourne...right? I would quit now as this is showing that you will simply fit things into your agenda and you lack any real objectivity apparently.

"Coach Joe Paterno of Penn State--testified as to the physical and psychological dangers of using steroids."

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-05...courson-body-building-drugs-anabolic-steroids

His biggest crime to date is coaching to long...if you can call that a crime.

Per a current Big Ten coach (folks who know better than all of us, of course):

"People talk about Paterno in context of the scandal, but they were behind on so many other football things like conditioning and analyst work and overall player development. This finally looks like a modern football program.”

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...s-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2017

Even the apologists know that Paterno was living in the past and too old to do his job
properly. But they will never admit it and defend his "right" to remain even if he
lived to be 120 years old..

Even the apologists know that Paterno was living in the past and too old to do his job
properly. But they will never admit it and defend his "right" to remain even if he
lived to be 120 years old..

100% untrue.

Some think he earned the right to determine his own retirement data.
Joe averaged 10 wins during his last 5 seasons (in spite of age, recruiting, etc.)
The cupboard wasn't bare when he left, even with Freeh agency.

But almost everybody thinks that Joe stayed too long. And staying too long certainly doesn't make him a pedophile enabler.

Iowa from 2008 - 2010 wasn't elite. They were merely very good.

JoePa went 0-3 against them. In 2 of them (2009-2010), we were significantly outclassed.

Boring old predictable Kirk Ferentz was the superior coach in all 3 games, by a wide wide margin.

Those 3 Iowa games define the 2006-2011 era more than anything. When you have superior talent but can't adjust to what overly-predictable Iowa is doing --- you have coaching issues.

Ferentz record against PSU/Paterno was 8 and 3. In Ferentz two games against
O'Brien and Franklin, he was easily whipped and he will be again this year.

Reactions: michnittlion
100% untrue.

Some think he earned the right to determine his own retirement data.
Joe averaged 10 wins during his last 5 seasons (in spite of age, recruiting, etc.)
The cupboard wasn't bare when he left, even with Freeh agency.

But almost everybody thinks that Joe stayed too long. And staying too long certainly doesn't make him a pedophile enabler.

"Some think he earned the right to determine his own retirement data (sic)". Joe did determine his own retirement date. He was obviously determined to "coach" until he died.
However that was cut 3 games short by the scandal.

Reactions: Royal_Coaster
Ferentz record against PSU/Paterno was 8 and 3. In Ferentz two games against
O'Brien and Franklin, he was easily whipped and he will be again this year.

Yep. Among all the stats that indicate how JoePa had lost a step (or three) in the 2000-2011 era ---- this is it.

JoePa in his prime would have ground those Iowa teams to dust. We were better than them, we would have executed a game plan against them, adjusted as necessary, and won.

JoePa in his "hung on way too long" times couldn't adjust to Ferentz, and continually lost very frustrating games against less-talented Iowa teams. Our offense always tended to look inept against the Hawkeyes. Always.

Last edited:
And to that I would simply say, explain the top 10 recruiting class that was to be signed in February 2012. Anytime I hear talk about Paterno running the program into the ground or that PSU was so far behind everyone else, I think about that recruiting class. Those top players, with offers from top schools, CHOSE Penn State as it was situated in 2011. They knew exactly what they were getting and they CHOSE Penn State. Why? Why would those kids intentionally choose to go to a program that was behind in conditioning, analyst work and overall player development? Why on earth would they do that? That doesn't make even the slightest bit of sense. So when weighing your anonymous source versus 15+ kids who were staking their very future in football on Penn State and they chose Penn State, I'll take the latter every time.

Was it because Joe talked to them and told them all about PSU and the tradition while
srving a bag of Sue's homemade cookies? Or was it because some tireless assistants not only took up the slack for Paterno but also for the other deadwood coaches?

Last edited:
Yep. Among all the stats that indicate how JoePa had lost a step (or three) in the 2000-2011 era ---- this is it.

JoePa in his prime would have ground those Iowa teams to dust. We were better than them, we would have executed a game plan against them, and won.

JoePa in his "hung on way too long" times couldn't adjust to Ferentz, and continually lost very frustrating games against less-talented Iowa teams. Our offense always tended to look inept against the Hawkeyes. Always.

And often Minnesota.

JoePa in his prime would have ground those Iowa teams to dust. We were better than them, we would have executed a game plan against them, and won.

He did win his last game that he coached from the field against Iowa. I was there and I believe you were too.

I liked keeping Joe around just to watch him scream at Mcqueary the whole game. It added to the experience and makes it even more worth it now. ;)

He did win his last game that he coached from the field against Iowa. I was there and I believe you were too.

I liked keeping Joe around just to watch him scream at Mcqueary the whole game. It added to the experience and makes it even more worth it now. ;)

I also like the way everyone acts like Paterno was such a gentleman. He was often a terror
on the sidelines screaming at assistants, players and the refs.

So Paterno could predict the future?
A coach doesn't have to be able to predict the future when they know they have a good team coming. I coached sports for years and I knew when we were going to be good. And I guess he could predict the future because he only lost one game and won a BCS bowl...so he was right.

Reactions: denniskembala

JoePa did win his last game against Iowa. That is true. (I wasn't there, FWIW. Watched it on TV from my then-home of Cincinnati).

We rolled out the exact same game-plan for that Iowa game as we did for most Iowa games in the 2000-2011 era. Bend-but-don't break defense, coupled with a fairly unimaginative offense that played more "not to lose" versus "out to win."

On that particular Saturday, that game plan worked.

As regards games against Iowa, that Saturday was more the exception than the rule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT