ADVERTISEMENT

My 2022 Starting Lineups:

Texas Lion

Aug 10, 2018
If I had my way, here is what I would do for this spring to get ready for next fall:
O:
WR: Washington
WR: Saunders
TE: Theo
LT: Olu
LG: Tengwell
C: Scruggs
RG: Wallace
RT: Portal
WR: Tinsley
QB: Cliff
RB: Singleton and Singleton only with Ford as his back-up. The others can fight for the short yardage back. This RB by committee doesn't work.

D:
DE: Issac
DT: PJ
DT: Ellies
DE: Beamon
OLB: Jacobs
MLB: Fisher
OLB: PORTAL
CB: Porter
S: Brown
S: Isheem Young
CB: King

Last edited:
At first glance, your starters look reasonable and the OLine looks strong on paper but actual performance may differ. Do you have any intel on Isheem Young or is that just a wish? He’s been in the portal for 3 weeks so I’m surprised not much has been published about him. I’m curious about which RBs choose to leave.

Reactions: aworsnup
At first glance, your starters look reasonable and the OLine looks strong on paper but actual performance may differ. Do you have any intel on Isheem Young or is that just a wish? He’s been in the portal for 3 weeks so I’m surprised not much has been published about him. I’m curious about which RBs choose to leave.
The whole list is a wish, so no intel on Young.

I appreciate the original idea of a RB by committee but it just doesn't work. We usually take a hot hand and sit him for periods at a time because it is the others guys turn. Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan state have one main back....it is what we need. This "giving everyone a chance" is part of the problem and attitude with this team. And when you have that you have a lot of "me, me me"......is also a factor in all the opt outs. This team is built on me, not we.

The whole list is a wish, so no intel on Young.

I appreciate the original idea of a RB by committee but it just doesn't work. We usually take a hot hand and sit him for periods at a time because it is the others guys turn. Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan state have one main back....it is what we need. This "giving everyone a chance" is part of the problem and attitude with this team. And when you have that you have a lot of "me, me me"......is also a factor in all the opt outs. This team is built on me, not we.
Michigan alternated 2 RBs all year. The team is built on me because kids who are turning pro opted out of a glorified exhibition bowl game? That’s rich, truly rich. Check out Adrian Amos comments on the subject

Michigan alternated 2 RBs all year. The team is built on me because kids who are turning pro opted out of a glorified exhibition bowl game? That’s rich, truly rich. Check out Adrian Amos comments on the subject
You sure about that Lee Corso??

Haskins had 270 carries for UM, Corum had 144, a difference of 126 carries. Lee had 108 as opposed to Cain at 106....so no, Michigan did not "alternate" 2 RB's all year. In fact only Ole Miss had somewhat of a even distribution between their RB, issue there is they had a 3 system because their qb led them in attempts. so top 10 CFP RB attempts difference:

So tell me again how great a RB by committee is?

Who gives a shit what Adrian Amos says? He was trying to be Twitter cool vs Kirk. The Amos that played at PSU loved football and never would have opted out.

Corum did miss at least one game (vs us) and maybe others or had limited participation. Early in the year when I watched them he appeared to be the featured back.
I would agree that our commitee approach has not worked with these backs anyway. In my years we shuffled Steve Smith and Tim Manoa along with David Clark behind DJ Dozier. We need at least two to be ready
...unlike our qb situation this year.

Reactions: tlbakernc
Corum did miss at least one game (vs us) and maybe others or had limited participation. Early in the year when I watched them he appeared to be the featured back.
I would agree that our commitee approach has not worked with these backs anyway. In my years we shuffled Steve Smith and Tim Manoa along with David Clark behind DJ Dozier. We need at least two to be ready
...unlike our qb situation this year.

We need Singleton to be the main ball carrier, 200+ carries and when he needs a break Ford needs to get the reps. Then find a short yard guy between Lee, Cain, & Allen. But in no way shape or form do we still need the RB by committee.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
With that starting lineup we will end up 5 - 7 or maybe even 4 - 8. I've become numb to this team due to the last two seasons. I now accept that we are a wrestling school and can't wait to see how the wrestling team does. Maybe in 2023 the football team will be better.

Reactions: aworsnup
With that starting lineup we will end up 5 - 7 or maybe even 4 - 8. I've become numb to this team due to the last two seasons. I now accept that we are a wrestling school and can't wait to see how the wrestling team does. Maybe in 2023 the football team will be better.
5-7? OK Mr. Troll........it would be a 5th year QB, with the national player of the year at RB, a line that hopefully can put it together and a group of WR with immense talent. Defensively that back 4 might be the best in the B1G. DL could also be a bonus....LB will be the key which sucks at LBU.

Reactions: psu skp
We need Singleton to be the main ball carrier, 200+ carries and when he needs a break Ford needs to get the reps. Then find a short yard guy between Lee, Cain, & Allen. But in no way shape or form do we still need the RB by committee.
Comments on Allen from the A-A game:

Allen did the bulk of his damage in the early part of the game carrying the load during the Icons’ second drive. Allen capped an 18-play 80-yard drive with a five-yard plunge into the end zone. For the game, Allen ended with 71 yards on the ground off 14 carries and caught one pass for six yards. Allen showcased one of the strengths to his game, taking that initial hit and driving the pile forward for extra yards.

Comments on Allen from the A-A game:

Allen did the bulk of his damage in the early part of the game carrying the load during the Icons’ second drive. Allen capped an 18-play 80-yard drive with a five-yard plunge into the end zone. For the game, Allen ended with 71 yards on the ground off 14 carries and caught one pass for six yards. Allen showcased one of the strengths to his game, taking that initial hit and driving the pile forward for extra yards.
Then Allen will need to beat Cain and Lee out for the short yard back. All I know is when I watch film of both players one is far and above the other.

Need to scap walker off your list. He declared for the nfl draft
Edited with player from the Portal. It would be silly as **** to continue putting Wallace out there. Let him move to RG and be dominant.

Main 4th and 1 target
- Mr. Washington on a pass or from the snap > Sending a TE for a run from the shotgun because that's your idea of power football 😐 and ya guys still dont run block and we have our 250 pound TE having to Playststion 5 button someone before he's even near the LOS. If you need notes watch any Bama game with their WRs the last 5 years.

Main 4th and 1 target - Mr. Washington on a pass or from the snap > Sending a TE for a run from the shotgun because that's your idea of power football 😐 and ya guys still dont run block and we have our 250 pound TE having to Playststio 5.button someone.
Award Winning Post....the Award?????

What the Hell Are You Talking About Post of the Year!!!

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Sean Clifford, and may God bless his soul, needs to be holding a clip board next year. Enough already.

agree the running back by committee is dumb and needs to follow Clifford out the door. This isn’t a 17 game NFL schedule with multiple playoff games, let playmakers make plays for yhr

if the o-line stinks (which it probably will) put the QB under center, throw a fullback in, go double tight end, and for once during the Franklin era go out and smash people in the mouth play after play. No more RPO or hand off 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage while the RB is standing still, or TEs who are glorified WRs. Line up and beat the other guy across from you.

Reactions: LMTLION
Sean Clifford, and may God bless his soul, needs to be holding a clip board next year. Enough already.

agree the running back by committee is dumb and needs to follow Clifford out the door. This isn’t a 17 game NFL schedule with multiple playoff games, let playmakers make plays for yhr

if the o-line stinks (which it probably will) put the QB under center, throw a fullback in, go double tight end, and for once during the Franklin era go out and smash people in the mouth play after play. No more RPO or hand off 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage while the RB is standing still, or TEs who are glorified WRs. Line up and beat the other guy across from you.

don’t disagree but we don’t have a blocking TE on the roster. They are all terrible blockers. We need to find one in the portal as I dont think there is one coming in the 2022 class.

That would be nice to see. But no way would Franklin ever think of doing that. Plus these players would probably fold before the defense does.

My New, over the top (people aren't even in portal) Starting Line Up Wish List:

WR: Julian Fleming
LT: Olu Fashanu
LG: Landon Tengwell
C: Juice Scruggs
RG: Caden Wallace
RT: Hunter Nourzad
TE: Theo Johnson
WR: Mitchell Tinsley
WR: Parker Washington
QB: Sean Clifford
RB: Nicholas Singleton

DE: Adisia Issac
DT: PJ Mustipher
DT: Devon Ellies
DE: Jared Verse
OLB: Curtis Jacobs
MLB: Zuriah Fisher
OLB: Portal Jones III
CB: Joey Porter Jr
S: Tigh Brown
S: Isheem Young
CB: K. King

Reactions: bison13
don’t disagree but we don’t have a blocking TE on the roster. They are all terrible blockers. We need to find one in the portal as I dont think there is one coming in the 2022 class.
I don't think that will happen. There's limited room for portal players and OL/LB are higher priorities.

I don't think that will happen. There's limited room for portal players and OL/LB are higher priorities.
Why the hell not? Go and get these guys, that's why you are getting paid that obscene contract.

After limited action in 2020, I thought Theo Johnson would be a very capable blocker.

Strange and Johnson were a disappointment, definitely under-performed. My own preference would be to give Johnson more reps over Strange and figure out ways to use Tyler Warren also.

I have a question about the Portal. From what I have read, players who have not graduated from their previous school still have to sit out a year. Am I wrong?

I believe players transferring can play immediately.
You are correct. While the transfer portal has been around since 2018, a new policy established in Spring 2021 is now allowing all players to play immediately after transferring. The only restriction is they can only transfer without sitting out once.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlbakernc
Why the hell not? Go and get these guys, that's why you are getting paid that obscene contract.
Katshir is the only upper class LB returning. Smith opted for the NFL and PSU has no returning LBs who had sophomore eligibility last year. It's a problem and a priority to fix in the portal.

We have 2 JR, 2 SO, and 5 RS FR returning at OL.

Katshir is the only upper class LB returning. Smith opted for the NFL and PSU has no returning LBs who had sophomore eligibility last year. It's a problem and a priority to fix in the portal.

We have 2 JR, 2 SO, and 5 RS FR returning at OL.
Actually in this case that stat is meaningless because Franklin has been putting out horrible offensive lines full of senior starters for 9 years.

Actually in this case that stat is meaningless because Franklin has been putting out horrible offensive lines full of senior starters for 9 years.
I don't understand why you think the staff recruited low quality (4*) OL but they would pick up better OL in the portal.

You sure about that Lee Corso??

Haskins had 270 carries for UM, Corum had 144, a difference of 126 carries. Lee had 108 as opposed to Cain at 106....so no, Michigan did not "alternate" 2 RB's all year. In fact only Ole Miss had somewhat of a even distribution between their RB, issue there is they had a 3 system because their qb led them in attempts. so top 10 CFP RB attempts difference:

So tell me again how great a RB by committee is?

Who gives a shit what Adrian Amos says? He was trying to be Twitter cool vs Kirk. The Amos that played at PSU loved football and never would have opted out.
[/QUOTE
Lysol Mitchel and Franco Harris

Get rid off Clifford and recruit 4 more linemen that know how to block and we are in business

• Haha
Reactions: Psugo823
Some interesting discussion in this thread.

I'm in the camp that believes the RB situation may clear up somewhat between now and Spring practice, but will more likely only clear up next season. It will be interesting to see if any of the current RB's hit the portal before Spring practice, as I thought that one might be gone by now. But maybe they just love PSU? Cain was still not the RB this season he was as a freshman, but he obviously wants to be a featured back and will likely continue to work his way back. With Singleton and Allen enrolling and participating in Spring practice the behind the door depth chart at RB coming out of the Spring, pretty much known by the RB's, will likely be what will cause any to go out the door that really have a start or bust mentality. I am just not a big fan of Ford as he does not seem explosive enough to make a big impact given that he does not break a lot of tackles. So I'm hoping that Cain continues to recover to his former self and Lee, who seemed like the best performing RB with the ball in his hands this season, becomes a better blocker, and PSU goes into Fall practice with at least Singleton, Allen, Cain and Lee competing to become the feature back. Oh, and that that feature back gets at least 60% of the carries next season. I see Singleton being that feature back, but he may only share carries coming out of the gate next Fall, just like Barkley did.

I also believe Tarburton will be a starter at DE along with Isaac. And if Franklin and Diaz can get a transfer DE that DE will likely not have the impact that Ebiketie had. Franklin hit the jackpot with AK, but all B10 DE's don't usually grow on trees. Unlike some here, I still am not overly impressed with the play of Vilbert, although you have to give him credit for his 3 sack game and I look forward to his continued development. Vilbert may surprise me and start, but if he doesn't he should be a nice 3rd or 4th DE. With DDS and some young DE's such as Townley and Fisher developing, as well as the possibility that Talley may get some snaps as a pass rusher (if he does not end up at LB) I don't see DE as a dramatic need in the Portal.

As with DE, if Mustipher comes back strong, along with Izzard and Ellis who both got great experience and growth playing in his absence, and the the other returning DT's (Vanover, van den Berg, Mulbah,...), a portal DT will have to be an experienced high level player to push his way into the base rotation. A player like Tangelo or better.

I also agree that Fisher does not seem like the player at DE that he was at LB in high school when he was a pursue and destroy LB. So I'm hoping that Diaz moves him back to MLB this Spring, although I'm not optimistic that that will happen. I look for King to start at Mike in 2022, and I'm hoping that either a transfer or Buddin start at Sam. Elsdon got a good bit of complementary reviews from Franklin, but I have not seen him perform at a high level when he has had opportunities to play. Jacobs moving to Will seems to open up Sam for a transfer to compete with Sutherland and Buddin. The other option would be for a very good transfer LB to come in and start at Will, and allow Jacobs to remain at Sam. Jacobs is a dynamic athlete, and his speed, pursuit, and quick reactions do play well in space which is important at Sam. I have seen enough of Sutherland to believe he just does not read plays as they quickly develop well enough to start at Sam, and he also seems to take poor angles to tackles, so I hope he ends up as a backup Sam LB and just continues to shine on special teams.

After watching Tengwall play OT for 3 quarters earlier this season I was under the impression that he was destined to start at OT in 2022. But with the staff's confidence in Fashanu and Franklin's subsequent comments I'm also looking for Tengwall to start at guard in 2022, with Scruggs at Center. I'm hoping that some how another OT either comes in from the Portal, or someone like Christ develops this Spring, so that Wallace can move inside as the 2nd Guard with Tengwall.

The future at Safety is looking up with the athletes in the 2022 class, and with Brown, Ellis and Reed returning it will take a pretty high level Safety transfer to come in and start next to Brown. Young or the player from NW. Beyond them or another big time Safety becoming available I like the 3 returners manning the position with the true freshmen fighting to get on the field. The other player that could play Safety is Lytton, who reportedly played some Safety before transferring to PSU. Will be interesting to see if he is on the roster this Spring and in the Fall.

So with a very good WR signed, I see the OL and LB as the biggest priorities to improve the team via the Portal.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT