ADVERTISEMENT

Must be another bad coach

Campbell historically takes high risk and makes poor decisions that sometimes pay off and sometimes don't. See the awful fake punt decision. True of most coaches just something he does more often than most.

I don't think either made the right decision there but I also don't think it was even one of Franklin's worst.

Weird a new thread was started about this.

Reactions: Westcoast24
Also tried a fake punt deep in their own territory and did not make it. Lead to a short field td for gb.

The Lions were down 15 and scored a TD with 41 seconds left to cut the lead to 9. Guess what they did….they went for 2….but I thought I read on here that no coach would ever do that. Hm, must be terrible coaches all over.
Going for two in that situation is at best (least?) questionable. Going for two in the first half down 14-9 is not.

The Lions were down 15 and scored a TD with 41 seconds left to cut the lead to 9. Guess what they did….they went for 2….but I thought I read on here that no coach would ever do that. Hm, must be terrible coaches all over.
Always remember, according to AWS1022, PSU football coaches make a lot of money and are beyond question, but PSU basketball coaches make a lot of money and should be questioned at every decision 🙄🙄

• Wow
Reactions: GregInPitt
Always remember, according to AWS1022, PSU football coaches make a lot of money and are beyond question, but PSU basketball coaches make a lot of money and should be questioned at every decision 🙄🙄
As long as the people questioning them don’t actually think they know more than the coaches. But we have many posters on here who seem to think they are smarter than almost every coach in college and the NFL.

Yeah the first going for 2 was moronic. The 2nd one was whatever for me.

It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks. The analytics every coach now follows said to go for two on both occasions. Whether it’s right or wrong that’s what they follow these days.

Reactions: AWS1022
It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks. The analytics every coach now follows said to go for two on both occasions. Whether it’s right or wrong that’s what they follow these days.
It looks great if you make the first two pt conversion because then you only need to recover an on sides kick then kick an EP to tie. So great.

The problem is once you miss that first two pt conversion you are in horrible shape as you need the ball back twice which will never happen.

Not sure why the analytics geek like that kind of risk.

It looks great if you make the first two pt conversion because then you only need to recover an on sides kick then kick an EP to tie. So great.

The problem is once you miss that first two pt conversion you are in horrible shape as you need the ball back twice which will never happen.

I don’t believe coaches think that way…they think like they are going to make it (whether it’s going for two or going for it on fourth down), they believe their team can do it, so that’s how they make their decisions.

I’m old school and don’t like it but it’s what they do anymore. Like not taking points and going for it in fourth all the time. Nfl old coaches must cringe

This isn't true. Down 14-3 in the first half most coaches still kick the XP. Analytics isn't just reading a chart...it's understanding when to apply it.

This isn't true. Down 14-3 in the first half most coaches still kick the XP. Analytics isn't just reading a chart...it's understanding when to apply it.
Most of these coaches just read the chart unfortunately. I said I don’t agree with it but it’s football we live with now

Reactions: bison13
There's a big difference. Detroit missed a kick earlier, making the odds of a kick succeeding lower than normal. PATs are normally automatic, but once you miss one in a game another is more likely IMO. Detroit had already succeeded on a 2-point try before the second TD, making the odds of making another one somewhat higher than normal. PSU was down 9 because they missed a 2-point try earlier, making the odds of a 2-point conversion even lower than normal.

There's a big difference. Detroit missed a kick earlier, making the odds of a kick succeeding lower than normal. PATs are normally automatic, but once you miss one in a game another is more likely IMO. Detroit had already succeeded on a 2-point try before the second TD, making the odds of making another one somewhat higher than normal. PSU was down 9 because they missed a 2-point try earlier, making the odds of a 2-point conversion even lower than normal.
You’re putting way too much stock into those misses/successes impacting the next try…the events are way more independent than that.

At that point, you need three things to tie the game: another touchdown, an extra point and a two point conversion. No matter what order you do it in, missing the two point conversion means you will need a second touchdown. So if you miss it now, then at least you know it sooner rather than later.

At that point, you need three things to tie the game: another touchdown, an extra point and a two point conversion. No matter what order you do it in, missing the two point conversion means you will need a second touchdown. So if you miss it now, then at least you know it sooner rather than later.
Not sure at what point you are referring to.

You are down 15. Score a TD. Okay that is what we are talking about. Now you are down 9 points. What do you do? You need a second TD no matter what, down 7, 8 or 9. My point is once you blow it by missing the first two point conversion you are dead in the water. Down 9 so you need to get the ball back twice, not once, twice. The odds of recovering two onside kicks is astronomically low. Ball game. I guess that is what the analytics say because it must assume the odds are you make that first two point conversion otherwise it obviously is the wrong strategy. So, of course, if you think the odds are good that you make the first two point conversion then do that. The odds would be the same with a 2pt conversion after the second TD.

I am also assuming there is not enough time after the second TD to get the ball again if you miss that second 2pt conversion. Do or die at that point.

Hmmm…..I guess you couldn’t come to the conclusion on your own that it was a bad decision given the final outcome of the game??? I suppose now we are to take moral victories from other coaches making the same decisions as JF which ultimately lead to the same outcome….a loss? But that’s okay, because other people did it and the same outcome was achieved it must not be too bad of an idea….right?? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

When to Go for 2

This is a good article that uses data from the NFL to decide when to go for 2. I should note that it’s from 2017, so maybe the data has changed since then. But this article was written after the NFL pushed back the extra point try.

There is a chart about half way down that breaks down the decision by point differential and time left in the game. The take away from the chart:
  • When down 9 points late-ish, there’s a case that you should go for 2, because being down 8, you would have to go for 2 to draw even eventually anyway, and it’s better to know whether you converted your attempt earlier so you can make tactical adjustments. Although this logic seems sound, the data doesn’t suggest the effect is very significant (if it exists at all).
In other words, with fewer than 2 minutes left it really is almost a coin flip, with a slight advantage to kicking the extra point. Again, keep in mind this is for the NFL, which skews more toward going for 2 than college since the extra point try is longer.

It seems Coach Franklin should’ve kicked the extra point with just under 2 to go against Michigan. But, again, it was more or less a coin flip.

Not sure at what point you are referring to.

You are down 15. Score a TD. Okay that is what we are talking about. Now you are down 9 points. What do you do? You need a second TD no matter what, down 7, 8 or 9. My point is once you blow it by missing the first two point conversion you are dead in the water. Down 9 so you need to get the ball back twice, not once, twice. The odds of recovering two onside kicks is astronomically low. Ball game. I guess that is what the analytics say because it must assume the odds are you make that first two point conversion otherwise it obviously is the wrong strategy. So, of course, if you think the odds are good that you make the first two point conversion then do that. The odds would be the same with a 2pt conversion after the second TD.

I am also assuming there is not enough time after the second TD to get the ball again if you miss that second 2pt conversion. Do or die at that point.
I'm referring to the point at which you just scored a TD, you're down by 9, and you need to decide between PAT or going for two. The risk you describe is there no matter what. If you kick the PAT, then after the next TD, you HAVE TO go for two. And if you miss it, you're dead in the water.

Down 9 so you need to get the ball back twice, not once, twice. The odds of recovering two onside kicks is astronomically low.

I don't know how strongly I support the assertion, but the whole point of going for the 2 after the TD down 9 is creating the circumstances as early as possible, hence you know what you need as early as possible.

The analytics theory is if you are going to miss it and need another score, miss it as early as possible and then you can coach like you need it now vs kicking the XP, playing like it's a TD and 2 pt try game only to miss it then and still need the other score.

Of course, with an offense that struggled to score 9 points through 55+ of game play, I feel like it makes the analytical calls even lower to succeed at where as the analytical side believes the chances are the same regardless.

This is where the disagreement lays.

There is no debate Franklin is wrong going for 2 when your down 15 you lose any chance of tying the game with 2 minutes to go

You can try to spin it however you want, but it was the same situation regardless of how they got there. One could say that PSU had a better shot of making it because they failed on the first attempt based on percentages. The main difference is Detroit made it, had we made it there wouldn’t be nearly the complaining about it…hindsight coaching is easy.

Hmmm…..I guess you couldn’t come to the conclusion on your own that it was a bad decision given the final outcome of the game??? I suppose now we are to take moral victories from other coaches making the same decisions as JF which ultimately lead to the same outcome….a loss? But that’s okay, because other people did it and the same outcome was achieved it must not be too bad of an idea….right?? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
That’s what you got out of it? You made my point that making decisions after the fact is easy to do which is what all the bots coaching geniuses do. My post was pointing out that many coaches would make the same decision….after Franklin did it many on here stated it was the dumbest coaching decision ever and no other coach would do it. Yesterday shows that’s not true, just because you disagree with it doesnt mean it’s the dumbest decision ever.

There is no debate Franklin is wrong going for 2 when your down 15 you lose any chance of tying the game with 2 minutes to go
So you’re saying if he would have kicked the extra point, they would have went on to win the game?

The decision to go for 2 in the first half at 14-9 was dumb if he made it or not. I complained about it in the game thread before we failed.

The decision at the end needs to consider the offense you have, just like his decisions on 4th down, if your offense is inept you can take less risk.

As long as the people questioning them don’t actually think they know more than the coaches. But we have many posters on here who seem to think they are smarter than almost every coach in college and the NFL.

Well I hate to brag but... ;)

Haha!

No seriously, what I said was "most coaches" would likely not have gone for 2 in that situation but would rather have kicked the extra points and stayed alive.

That's still my view...though my unscientific impression is that more coaches than in the past do opt to throw the dice and basically risk whatever small chance they've still got on going for two right off the bat.

I also said it wouldn't have been an issue if not for the misguided decision to go for 2 after the touchdown late in the first half. Down 14-9 at that point in the game...you go for two...miss...and then spend the rest of the game chasing the point you gave away. Sometimes it catches up to you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT