ADVERTISEMENT

MSU/Nasser payouts could top a billion

It was purposeful, premeditated and pretty pervasive at MSU. Lou Anna Simon would certainly agree.

As far as the projected dollar amount MSU will be paying, I doubt their administration will be begging to give money away like ours did.

From the article:
The child abuse scandals at Penn State and MSU are near carbon copies. The only difference is that in Pennsylvania there was a commitment to accountability, no matter where it led.

In Michigan, the mission seems to be keeping the secrets locked safely away to protect the institution and the people who run it.

No, they aren't even close to being carbon copies. And certain people in PA are also hell bent on keeping secrets locked away.

Last edited:
It was purposeful, premeditated and pretty pervasive at MSU. Lou Anna Simon would certainly agree.

As far as the projected dollar amount MSU will be paying, I doubt their administration will be begging to give money away like ours did.

Yet the writer is projecting them to give away 5x as much.

So this quote will make your blood boil...

"Even the gymnastics coach, Kathie Klages, who dismissed complaints from the victims as frivolous and pressured them to stay silent, was allowed to retire and begin collecting a pension without facing criminal charges."

Here is what this criminal looks like... explain to me how this fat tub of lard could possibly motivate/lead gymnasts...

170313-_kathie-klages-msu-head-1002a_88b559bb30b7b4eba902bea0f63b083d.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

Reactions: Ski, 1 and 91Joe95
Basically two large differences in the handling of these cases:
  1. Michigan's Attorney General is trying his best to protect the university while our Governor and OAG did everything in their power to destroy PSU
  2. MSU learned from PSU's mistakes and is keeping everything sealed and as quiet as possible. Admitting nothing and firing no one.
I understand no one knows who Kathie Klages is while everyone knew JVP, but the following line from the story infuriates me how one was crucified and the other happily retired with a pension and no scrutiny.

"That goes beyond Coach Klages, who publicly humiliated one young gymnast who questioned the doctor’s inappropriate treatment and sent a loud signal to others that she wasn’t interested in hearing any more such reports."

Please take this opportunity to remember that child safety is everyone’s top priority.

"Even the gymnastics coach, Kathie Klages, who dismissed complaints from the victims as frivolous and pressured them to stay silent, was allowed to retire and begin collecting a pension without facing criminal charges."

Here is what this criminal looks like... explain to me how this fat tub of lard could possibly motivate/lead gymnasts...

170313-_kathie-klages-msu-head-1002a_88b559bb30b7b4eba902bea0f63b083d.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg
Do as I say not as I do.

I have heard that she was quite "hot" back in her day. Then some dude totally "wrecked" her, discharged his porridge gun 3x and never called her back. She has been eating her feelings ever since.

Reactions: Ski
I am beginning to think that a side service that Louis Freeh and FSS provided was a paid army of comment section trolls to pollute the jury pool - in the paper of record for Dauphin County - the Harrisburg Patriot-News.

Comments from "Andrea" "JJinPhila" and their friends reached into the hundreds. Some pieces hit over 1,000 and those trolls lived 24/7 in the PennLive comment section. EPIC!

Note there is not a single comment in this piece in the Lansing State Journal. Not a single victim's advocate has chimed in. None. Nada. Zilch. Other recent MSU/Nassar articles have about a dozen, if that. So, either women and girls don't matter, or the Paterno name was the only reason the trolls came out. Either reason is shameful.

Even more disgusting are the women over at PCAR - Kristen Houser & Delilah Rumberg, Ann Ard at CCWRC (PSU VP Tom Poole's wife), with the worst offender OVA Jennifer Storm. All these females were simply prostituting their platforms for funding.

Bunch of scags.

I am also missing the media drumbeat of a "moral obligation to do more".

Last edited:
I am beginning to think that a side service that Louis Freeh and FSS provided was a paid army of comment section trolls to pollute the jury pool - in the paper of record for Dauphin County - the Harrisburg Patriot-News.

Comments from "Andrea" "JJinPhila" and their friends reached into the hundreds. Some pieces hit over 1,000 and those trolls lived 24/7 in the PennLive comment section. EPIC!

Note there is not a single comment in this piece in the Lansing State Journal. Not a single victim's advocate has chimed in. None. Nada. Zilch. Other recent MSU/Nassar articles have about a dozen, if that. So, either women and girls don't matter, or the Paterno name was the only reason the trolls came out. Either reason is shameful.

Even more disgusting are the women over at PCAR - Kristen Houser & Delilah Rumberg, Ann Ard at CCWRC (PSU VP Tom Poole's wife), with the worst offender OVA Jennifer Storm. All these females were simply prostituting their platforms for funding.

Bunch of scags.

I am also missing the media drumbeat of a "moral obligation to do more".

I doubt any of the jury read PennLive's comments section. Just like no one reads the LSJ comments sections.

Where is roxine? Where is clay travis? Where are we the tennessee athletic supporters? We need to marshal that sort of OUTRAGE. :eek: . Oh, right. No JoePa at msu. Never mind. Not important.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Negotiations in sex assault suit against MSU, others over Larry Nassar crimes fail, attorney says
Justin A. Hinkley, Lansing State Journal

LANSING - Negotiations to settle claims against Michigan State University and others regarding their handling of the admitted crimes of a former MSU doctor apparently have failed, meaning the federal lawsuit could head to court.

A mediation phase is set to expire Wednesday and an attorney for several of the alleged victims of former MSU doctor Larry Nassar said Tuesday those negotiations were unsuccessful.

"The Mediation process is concluded. It was obviously unproductive," attorney John Manly said in a statement Tuesday. "We have no choice but to engage Michigan State, USA Gymnastics and the United States Olympic Committee in Court. We intend to fight for justice for the victims. Most importantly we will endeavor to hold those who protected Nassar and allowed him to molest hundreds accountable so this never happens to another innocent child.”

A message was left seeking comment from MSU.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...y-nassar-crimes-fail-attorney-says/924787001/

Reactions: 91Joe95
Where is roxine? Where is clay travis? Where are we the tennessee athletic supporters? We need to marshal that sort of OUTRAGE. :eek: . Oh, right. No JoePa at msu. Never mind. Not important.
Bob - You can forget about "harnessing" the outrage over any incident in today's news about child abuse (except for one that happened in 2011 and involved a famous football coach/philanthropist) just like you can forget about harnessing the short, 45 second sensation that you experience when you suck down a whippet out of one of those fancy whip cream dispensers. It is impossible to maintain the outrage (buzz) for an extended period without disastrous consequences. Think: Stuart Scott on top of a TV truck.

Reactions: green2623
The continued Conspiracy of Silence maintained at the highest level of the NCAA in reckless disregard for the women & girls abused at MSU is shocking.

The following is a transcript of Ed Ray's comments made here in the first few minutes when discussing the Penn State sanctions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktm...

“Good morning, I'm Ed Ray, President Oregon State University and chair of the executive committee of the NCAA. The historically unprecedented actions by the NCAA today are warranted by the conspiracy of silence that was maintained at the highest levels of the University in reckless and callous disregard for the children. There's incredible interest in what will happen to Penn State football but the fundamental story of this horrific chapter should focus on the innocent children and the powerful people who let them down.

There's also been much speculation on whether or not the NCAA has the authority to impose any type of penalty related to Penn State. Not only does the NCAA have the authority to act in this case, we also have the responsibility to say that such egregious behavior is not only against our bylaws and constitution, but also against our value system and basic human decency.

The executive committee which acts on behalf of the entire Association and implements policies to resolve core issues along with the Division 1 Board, a body of presidents representing all of Division one, directed President Emmert to examine the circumstances surrounding the Penn State tragedy, and if appropriate make recommendations regarding punitive and corrective measures.

As a result of the information produced from the Sandusky criminal investigation and the Freeh report, which Penn State commissioned and also agreed to its findings, it became obvious that the leadership failures at Penn State over an extended period of time directly violated association bylaws and the NCAA Constitution relating to control over the athletic department, integrity, and ethical conduct.

The corrective and punitive measures the executive committee in the Division 1 Board of Directors have authorized should serve as a stark wake-up call to everyone involved in college sports that our first responsibility, as outlined in our Constitution, is to adhere to the fundamental values of respect, fairness, civility, honesty and responsibility.

I'll now turn to president Emmert to discuss today's actions and what is expected at Penn State in the future.”

And just in case you missed it, Ed Ray testified in a deposition that he didn't read the Freeh Report or even the Consent Decree before making the above statements.

The continued Conspiracy of Silence maintained at the highest level of the NCAA in reckless disregard for the women & girls abused at MSU is shocking.

The following is a transcript of Ed Ray's comments made here in the first few minutes when discussing the Penn State sanctions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktm...
“Good morning, I'm Ed Ray, President Oregon State University and chair of the executive committee of the NCAA. The historically unprecedented actions by the NCAA today are warranted by the conspiracy of silence that was maintained at the highest levels of the University in reckless and callous disregard for the children. There's incredible interest in what will happen to Penn State football but the fundamental story of this horrific chapter should focus on the innocent children and the powerful people who let them down.

There's also been much speculation on whether or not the NCAA has the authority to impose any type of penalty related to Penn State. Not only does the NCAA have the authority to act in this case, we also have the responsibility to say that such egregious behavior is not only against our bylaws and constitution, but also against our value system and basic human decency.

The executive committee which acts on behalf of the entire Association and implements policies to resolve core issues along with the Division 1 Board, a body of presidents representing all of Division one, directed President Emmert to examine the circumstances surrounding the Penn State tragedy, and if appropriate make recommendations regarding punitive and corrective measures.

As a result of the information produced from the Sandusky criminal investigation and the Freeh report, which Penn State commissioned and also agreed to its findings, it became obvious that the leadership failures at Penn State over an extended period of time directly violated association bylaws and the NCAA Constitution relating to control over the athletic department, integrity, and ethical conduct.

The corrective and punitive measures the executive committee in the Division 1 Board of Directors have authorized should serve as a stark wake-up call to everyone involved in college sports that our first responsibility, as outlined in our Constitution, is to adhere to the fundamental values of respect, fairness, civility, honesty and responsibility.

I'll now turn to president Emmert to discuss today's actions and what is expected at Penn State in the future.”

And just in case you missed it, Ed Ray testified in a deposition that he didn't read the Freeh Report or even the Consent Decree before making the above statements.

https://leadership.oregonstate.edu/user/66/contact

Sounds familiar; let's see how that works out for them. Dingleberies, all of them.

While I certainly understand where he is coming from, people are trying to compare MSU to PSU cases even though there are very few similarities. If someone looks closely at the facts of each they'll see the MSU case is much worse in regard to the negligence of university coaches/administrators. But the basic premise of the tweet is correct - there's no big name to vilify.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT