ADVERTISEMENT

Movies of no fame or note that you enjoy

The original Heartbreak Kid (1972) with Cybill Shepherd. Cybill was 22 and stunning.

heartbreakkid72.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_m6ecdm0qle1qmr9rao1_400.png

Last edited:
The original Heartbreak Kid (1972) with Cybill Shepherd. Cybill was 22 and stunning.

heartbreakkid72.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_m6ecdm0qle1qmr9rao1_400.png

She sure was something Fair. A Cheryl Ladd girl-next-door look w/ better acting abilities. Though I'd cast Cheryl in anything she wanted (including Shakespeare) if I was a director, mind you...

Reactions: fairgambit
The Westerner

Twelve O'clock High

The Tin Star

Warlock

In Harm's Way

The Spoilers

Pittsburgh

Angel and the Badman

Dark Command

The Train

Absence of Malice

Last edited:
This gets overshadowed by Bridge on the River Kwai and Stalag 17, but I think it is better than the latter Billy Wilder film.

lf

Sunshine 2007, really good sci-fi flick until about the last 12-15 minutes.

This was our lives (w/out the hazing). Linklater did a really good job - can be argued he did as good a job as Lucas did with American Graffiti, which is something.

Stumbled across this too:

Last edited:
In 1968, the elderly David "Noodles" Aaronson (Robert De Niro) returns to New York, where he had a career in the criminal underground in the '20s and '30s. Most of his old friends, like longtime partner Max (James Woods), are long gone, yet he feels his past is unresolved. Told in flashbacks, the film follows Noodles from a tough kid in a Jewish slum in New York's Lower East Side, through his rise to bootlegger and then Mafia boss -- a journey marked by violence, betrayal and remorse

Also:

Last edited:
I’ve left off favorites that I know don’t belong (anything by Clint Eastwood or several Cohen Brothers gems or a Costner baseball flick). Not sure how acclaimed any of these are, but here goes....

A River Runs Through It
Dumb and Dumber
Mystery, Alaska
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Harvey
Young Guns II
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Grosse Point Blank
Beautiful Girls
The Road to Perdition
Big Fish

Reactions: YeOldeCup
In 1968, the elderly David "Noodles" Aaronson (Robert De Niro) returns to New York, where he had a career in the criminal underground in the '20s and '30s. Most of his old friends, like longtime partner Max (James Woods), are long gone, yet he feels his past is unresolved. Told in flashbacks, the film follows Noodles from a tough kid in a Jewish slum in New York's Lower East Side, through his rise to bootlegger and then Mafia boss -- a journey marked by violence, betrayal and remorse

Also:

Great movie, all four hours and ten minutes of it.

Not all sleepers, but 25 Great Films in No Particular Order

1. Michael Clayton – 2007 George Clooney, Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson

2. Pope of Greenwich Village – 1983 Mickey Rourke, Eric Roberts, Daryl Hannah

3. The Conversation – 1974 Gene Hackman, John Cazale

4. The Day of the Jackal – 1973 Edward Fox, Terrance Alexander

5. American Hustle – 2013 Christian Bale, Amy Adams

6. Dallas Buyers Club – 2013 Matthew Mc Conaughey, Jennifer Garner

7. The French Connection – 1971 Gene Hackman, Roy Scheider

8. A Beautiful Mind - 2001 Russel Crowe, Ed Harris

9. Apollo 13 – 1995 Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton

10. A Simple Plan – 1998 Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thorton

11. The Bank Job - 2008 Jason Statham, Saffron Burrows

12. Snatch – 2000 Jason Statham, Brad Pitt

13. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels – 1998 Jason Flemying, Dexter Fletcher

14. Get Shorty – 1995 John Travolta, Gene Hackman, Renne Russo

15. Casablanca – 1941 Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman

16. Syriana – 2005 George Clooney, Matt Damon

17. A Civil Action – 1998 John Travolta, Robert Duvall

18. Blade Runner – 1982 Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer

19. Twenty Bucks - 1993 Linda Hunt, Brendan Fraser

20. Sunshine State – 2002 Angela Bassett, Edie Falco

21. The Year of Living Dangerously – 1982 Mel Gibson, Sigourney Weaver

22. The Last Detail – 1973 Jack Nicolson, Randy Quaid

23. Some Like it Hot – 1959 Marilyn Monroe, Jack Lemon, Tony Curtis

24. Nobody’s Fool - 1994 Paul Newman, Bruce Willis

25. The Verdict - 1982 Paul Newman, Jack Warden

Reactions: step.eng69
I don't even remember the name of the next one. It starred Ben Stiller. At the beginning, Ben Stiller got married. Then after he got married (on his honeymoon) he gradually realized he made a mistake in marrying the woman he married. Not only that, but he started fall in love with some other woman. By the end of the movie he had extracted himself from the marriage and ran off with the new woman he loved. Then, at the very end, a couple things happened that made him realize he had made another mistake by running off with this woman. Not that he made a mistake in leaving his wife, but that he not only made a mistake in marrying his wife but also in running off with the new woman.
The Heartbreak Kid

Dennis the Menace. Walter Mathau was incredible as Mr Wilson. I laugh hard every time I watch it.

Reactions: NedFromYork
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT