ADVERTISEMENT

Movies of no fame or note that you enjoy

Duck you Sucker / Fist Full of Dynamite
Cininma Paridiso (but that won an academy award)

A modern movie that I really like that I don't think gets enough praise is "Spy Game". Redford and Pitt (honestly, one of Pitt's better movies). Yes, there are some big plots holes, but it is otherwise quite good.

An older movie that I really like that isn't on too many people's radar is "Charade" (Carey Grant and Audrey Hepburn). It seems like it should be a Hitchcock movie, but it isn't.

A modern movie that I really like that I don't think gets enough praise is "Spy Game". Redford and Pitt (honestly, one of Pitt's better movies). Yes, there are some big plots holes, but it is otherwise quite good.

An older movie that I really like that isn't on too many people's radar is "Charade" (Carey Grant and Audrey Hepburn). It seems like it should be a Hitchcock movie, but it isn't.

Spy games is the one where Pitt should be like 65 years old but yet he's in his late 30s? Like some sort of time traveler?
That's the part I seem to remember the most.

But, yes otherwise it was a decent film.

LdN

Good link that gives a historical perspective. Thanks.:)
If there is nothing on regular tv, I always go to TMC and see what's playing, who is in it and who directs it. If John Ford is directing, I am watching, especially if John Wayne and/or Ward Bond is in it. There are other directors I look for, but NOBODY did a western like John Ford. I also have a deep enjoyment for The Last Hurrah and The Quiet Man, which thanks to Corona 19 and my "forced" separation from my own bed, I got to watch by myself this year. Not a big fan of the Irish (ND) but what Ford did with the scenery in that picture is incredible.

Reactions: PSUTENN1
Spy games is the one where Pitt should be like 65 years old but yet he's in his late 30s? Like some sort of time traveler?
That's the part I seem to remember the most.

But, yes otherwise it was a decent film.

LdN
Wait, explain the age thing to me?

His character was a sniper towards the end of the Vietnam War, so let's say he was 22 years old in 1974. When he is in Beruit with Redford, that's in the mid 80s, so he'd be in his mid 30s (which seems about right). The climax of the movie occurs how many years after Beruit? 10? If so, that's not a huge age difference.

Reactions: fearson05
I’ll add The Greatest Showman with Hugh Jackman. I love a good musical and it’s about as family friendly as it gets. My daughter loves the big circus set pieces and all the songs. I believe the soundtrack tied Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band with 28 non consecutive weeks at #1 on the UK charts. Pretty remarkable.
This is a great movie, however, I wouldn’t put it in the “no fame” category by any means.

Anyone who has worked at a restaurant, especially a chain restaurant, should enjoy Waiting... Also, I’ve always found Galaxy Quest to be funnier than I expected it to be.
Great movie and very accurate depiction of the service industry.

Top notch movie. Again, I don’t think it falls in line with the OP’s request as it was a popular movie that gained instant fame.
Actually it had few releases. It gained fame later on cable. But it did gain plenty of fame, so you're correct. No one saw it in theaters (comparatively).

I’m going to list 2 movies.

One is VERY unknown and is possibly one of my favorite movies EVER. It’s a great, quiet movie that makes you feel good about people. The lead character sets out on a journey to right a wrong with his brother, as they both are aging.

Richard Farnsworth plays Alvin Straight who lives in Iowa and he sets out to make amends with his brother who lives in Wisconsin. What makes the journey special is Alvin no longer has a drivers license, and makes the journey on his John Deere tractor. It’s about the journey and the people he meets along the way. You will love this movie-

THE STRAIGHT STORY

The other is the high school party movie to end all high school party movies.
Fast Times? Sure
Weird Science? Yes!
Dazed and Confused? Yaaassss!

But nothing can top a movie of a couple nobody kids who throw a birthday party for their unpopular buddy. Afraid no one will attend, they run an ad on the local radio station and also email the entire school, then they hope and wait. It turns out to the funniest high school party you’ve ever seen-

PROJECT X

Actually it had few releases. It gained fame later on cable. But it did gain plenty of fame, so you're correct. No one saw it in theaters (comparatively).
I was at Penn State when this came out and I remember quite the line to get in to see it. Either way, what a great movie that will hold up for generations to come to enjoy.

I was at Penn State when this came out and I remember quite the line to get in to see it. Either way, what a great movie that will hold up for generations to come to enjoy.
The docu I watched last night - Linklater cited that - not getting in enough theaters - as really his only failure in his mind. I wasn't a theater guy at that time and wouldn't have seen it until cable either way. Interesting docu - I think I linked it up thread? Who knows.

The docu I watched last night - Linklater cited that - not getting in enough theaters - as really his only failure in his mind. I wasn't a theater guy at that time and wouldn't have seen it until cable either way. Interesting docu - I think I linked it up thread? Who knows.
I’ll have to try to find that one. He also did a great live action animation movie called Waking Life. And 2 of my other faves from him are Suburbia and Slacker.

One is VERY unknown and is possibly one of my favorite movies EVER. It’s a great, quiet movie that makes you feel good about people. The lead character sets out on a journey to right a wrong with his brother, as they both are aging.

Richard Farnsworth plays Alvin Straight who lives in Iowa and he sets out to make amends with his brother who lives in Wisconsin. What makes the journey special is Alvin no longer has a drivers license, and makes the journey on his John Deere tractor. It’s about the journey and the people he meets along the way. You will love this movie-

THE STRAIGHT STORY

Fast Times? Sure
Weird Science? Yes!

But nothing can top a movie of a couple nobody kids who throw a birthday party for their unpopular buddy. Afraid no one will attend, they run an ad on the local radio station and also email the entire school, then they hope and wait. It turns out to the funniest high school party you’ve ever seen-

PROJECT X

The most insane fact about The Straight Story is that David Lynch directed it.

Reactions: BBrown
Freaked 1993...crazy odd movie...big budget for the time (12 million dollars)...incredible makeup and design...lots of interesting cameos...was not in theaters for long and they didn't make a lot of dvds for the film...not for everybody but man is it unique...trailer

Reactions: BBrown

THE STRAIGHT STORY

Fast Times? Sure
Weird Science? Yes!

PROJECT X

I'll add Local Hero to the list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT