ADVERTISEMENT

Most unexpected star on the team this year?

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
I think we know what we’re getting from established stars like Dotson and Walker. There are also highly touted guys who it’s easy to see taking the logical next step forward in their development like Smith and Wallace. The question here is who is the guy who was not necessarily a high four or five star sure fire stud, who will take an unexpected leap forward and really have a fantastic season?
My two candidates are:
Offense: Juice Scruggs
Defense: Ji’Ayir Brown
Whaddya say?

WE ARE!!!

Reactions: Shadow99 and BBrown
I think we know what we’re getting from established stars like Dotson and Walker. There are also highly touted guys who it’s easy to see taking the logical next step forward in their development like Smith and Wallace. The question here is who is the guy who was not necessarily a high four or five star sure fire stud, who will take an unexpected leap forward and really have a fantastic season?
My two candidates are:
Whaddya say?

WE ARE!!!
I like your pick of Ji'Ayir Brown on Defense.
Offense: I'm going Lovett or Theo Johnson.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Keyvone Lee. Kid was buried last year in the depth chart and ended up leading the team in both total yards and ypc. He is buried this year, again, but it may be that this is one of those guys that doesn't practice well (not many practices with full impact) but performs on game days.

Defense: AK
Offense: TE Combo: Strange, Johnson........

Defense I feel good about the answer, Offense not sure I am 100% committed to this answer. I just wanted to write Strange and Johnson next to each other......
Who is "AK" ?

If it's not Clifford........it might be a very long year
Given that Clifford gave us our best full season of QB play since DC hung up his cleats in 2019 Clifford I wouldn't consider Clifford to be an unexpected start if he returns to forms or performs even better. I would go with either a TE or WR. We need a legit #1 receiver that can't be taken away for prolonged periods of play in single coverage if we are going to be successful implementing a new offense.

My two candidates are:
Whaddya say?

WE ARE!!!

Offense: Johnson or KLS
Defense: Nick T or AK

Offense: Ta'Quan Roberson - I predict he will see some playing time in the first few games. Probably in situations where a QB run is likely. After a few games he will start to see more and more playing time and may be the starter toward the end of the season.

Defense - Tyler Elsdon - he is a solid player - Shane Conlin like - I bet he plays a lot and contributes a lot.

I guess its just me but I don't think Clifford has to be a "star" or "breakout" player. Obviously (;)) that would be huge but we have a lot of players with play making ability. I will be very happy if Clifford is just a good QB and game manager. Just cut down on the INT's and nerves (to start the game) and IMO we will be fine.

Keyvone Lee. Kid was buried last year in the depth chart and ended up leading the team in both total yards and ypc. He is buried this year, again, but it may be that this is one of those guys that doesn't practice well (not many practices with full impact) but performs on game days.
We talkin about practice, Bro ;)

• Haha
Reactions: GreggK and Obliviax

Where did you hear he is buried on the depth chart THIS year? From everything the insiders/media/coaches have given us, sounds like he's running 1B with Cain. Also, sounds like a year in the S&C program has turned him into a new man - 240lbs but has added some speed/quick twitch.

Sounds like the RB room is looking for the game-breaker to complement the power running game of Cain/Lee, but there have been some flashes from Lovett in scrimmages.

Parker Washington, just wait to see what he'll do with a full preseason under his belt

on defense I'll go with AK the former Owl

Reactions: BBrown
Many very good players have been referenced, so this post will follow the Dos Equis lead and instead of just attempting to predict who will be the best breakout player on each side of the ball, it will simply highlight 2 names already mentioned above that could be the most interesting breakout candidates:

PaoliLion mentioned NT...Nick Tarburton at DE is a very interesting choice considering his return from injury and his potential production at a position that definitely is in need of such a player.

On offense, PSU Mike mentioned Tyler Warren...considering the talent at TE, adding a third quality TE to the rotation who is good enough to be considered a "breakout candidate" is likewise very interesting.

Where did you hear he is buried on the depth chart THIS year? From everything the insiders/media/coaches have given us, sounds like he's running 1B with Cain. Also, sounds like a year in the S&C program has turned him into a new man - 240lbs but has added some speed/quick twitch.

Sounds like the RB room is looking for the game-breaker to complement the power running game of Cain/Lee, but there have been some flashes from Lovett in scrimmages.
I googled "Penn state football 2021 depth chart" and looked at Ourlads, roarlionsroar, SI, PPG and yahoo! Sports. They either have him third (behind cain and the xfer from Baylor) or don't mention him at all.

I never heard anyone or any podcast say that Keyvonne Lee was "buried" on the depth chart this year.
Everything I've read and heard is that he is right there in the mix with Cain. Ford on the other hand may be the one that "buried".

Reactions: HazletonLion

+1

I never heard anyone or any podcast say that Keyvonne Lee was "buried" on the depth chart this year.
Everything I've read and heard is that he is right there in the mix with Cain. Ford on the other hand may be the one that "buried".
OK...still, he is a guy that I hope and expect to be a major player who isn't getting the PR. "In the mix" doesn't exactly excite.

Like I said I've heard his name mentioned quite a bit.
Read into how ever you want.
OK, thanks for your inputs.

Here was the question:

Most unexpected star on the team this year?​

I answered it.

For me, it won't be Clifford, as I'm fully expecting him to be a star, game manager, and clutch playmaker this season. And this is supposed to be about UNexpected players.... :oops:

On defense I'll go with Fisher. I can't go with Jacobs, as I fully expect him to ball out.

On offense I'll go with KLS, with CSB as a backup choice.....

Last edited:
Reactions: indynittany
For me, it won't be Clifford, as I'm fully expecting him to be a star and playmaker this season. And this is supposed to be about UNexpected players.... :oops:

On defense I'll go with Fisher. I can't go with Jacobs, as I fully expect him to ball out.

On offense I'll go with KLS, with CSB as a backup choice.....
well, it could be Liam Clifford. At least in the second part of the season is someone doesn't step up at WR or slot early. The Cliffords have to feel comfortable with each other and if Liam gets on the field, his brother will surely be looking for him.

My two candidates are:
Whaddya say?

WE ARE!!!
Defense: Tyler Elsdon
Offense: Cam Sullivan-Brown if stays healthy can finally breakout

Since the question concerns the most unexpected "star", we can only hope it will be Clifford. IF (a really big 'if') he were to star in the sense of being a really good QB, this team could go places. Unfortunately, I don't expect him to star. As he goes, so goes the team. A really competent game manager would still allow the team to chalk up a lot of wins.

My two candidates are:
Whaddya say?

WE ARE!!!
Offense: Keandre Lambert-Smith or Theo Johnson

Defense: Tarburton, Smith Vilbert

Reactions: indynittany
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT