ADVERTISEMENT

More Trouble Brewing in Ann Arbor?

Naw, he worked a better deal. His disguise’s are going to be on display at the UM field house guaranteeing him Wolverine immortality.
Right next to the 2023 championship trophies with thanks should that unfortunaty happen.

The Big 10 doesn't just want Jim suspended, it wants his head. That is clear. They came in with a more drastic tone than anyone was expecting. That being said, I haven't been told Michigan is acquiesing to the mob.

I'll be working the phones late into the night on this, but wanted to say something to you guys

I won't tell you there's nothing to be concerned about. There is. But I will tell you I haven't been told the battle is over. Not yet.

So, breathe. I'll have something late tonight. Maybe super late depending on how many conversations I have. There will definitely be an update by the time you non night-owls wake up early in the mornin

-best UM insider

When this thing started, nobody on UM’s football staff said they knew or ever heard of Connor. Now the guy gets fired. Like Rodney Dangerfield he can’t get any respect.
Rodney is my all time favorite stand up comedian. Followed by Carlin and Pryor.

Resigned before he's fired. Looks better on the resume.
Although, really won't matter much because people are still going to remember his name 20 years from now and not in a positive way. He might want to consider moving to Australia or the Philippines where nobody's ever heard of him.

For starters. Thanks to the Happy Valley board for being civil to an outsider and allowing for a good discourse of an emotional subject. The true winners regardless of what happens are PSU fans who know how to have a debate. I am summarizing a few things because I can't keep up with the responses.

Connor Stalions is an analyst who has the responsibility to steal signs. Every P5 team has dedicated personal for this activity. There are cases where I know it was thought that the other team had figured out Michigan's signs. 2018 NW and OSU come to mind. Signs are required in college football of antiquated rules. The technology to convert every DivI school to wireless is maybe a few thousand per team at most. High school programs use radio. The current situation exists because the NCAA wants it. I will leave it to speculation if it is inertia or something else why a sport that brings in billions does not transition to radios in the headsets. Whether it is done legally or not, the NCAA makes sign stealing part of the college game.

I will say that as a Michigan fan, if it turns out that the Michigan staff was aware of Stalions illegal conduct, I will assume reasonable that punishment should be meted out by the NCAA. If the rule was broken knowingly Michigan is at the mercy of the NCAA in terms of what the punishment would be. I personally may complain that the punishment may be more severe than it should. The way you make sure that happens is don't do it or don't get caught.

Regardless of who knew, I am of the opinion that having individuals tape games from the opposite sideline is of little to no significance with a bias towards the later. I will point to the Vegas spreads for Michigan's future games. The PSU and OSU coaching staffs were alleged to be aware of this situation since Sept. If a top ten team is unable to change or disguise their signaling scheme in a month, they get what deserved. I point to the Vegas spread as proof of my argument.

This leads to the last comment which is what should be done about it? If this is real or if a school really believes that the Big10 needs to intervene now, I expect a public statement stating that. There is zero chance that the either the Big10 or NCAA is going to abbreviate the standard process because a journalist alleges something. Nothing is going to happen in 2023 if no coach or AD is going to make a public statement. The Purdue coach, said he has evidence someone was in the stands. Neither he nor the AD of Purdue any AD has stated what should be done about it.

Whether it is the right thing or the wrong thing, my prediction is if there continues to be official silence, absolutely nothing will happen in 2023. Zilch. In my opinion everything points to Stalions doing is own thing. If this were a conspiracy, the tickets would have never been charged in Stalions name. It would have been done bag man style. Bag men don't even need to be compensated. They do it for the program. This is nothing to a bagman. That is how the SEC has been paying players for decades. Guys with no direct ties to the coaching staff hand out cash. If they get caught, they are just a guy giving a kid cash.

The NCAA has a new rule about the coach being responsible for the conduct of the staff. I take corporate training not to be aware of my conduct, but so my company can state I have been certified in a type of conduct if I break it. This is new ground. In that case it is not clear. Regardless, that will not be an issue until next year or 2025.

In my opinion everything points to Stalions doing is own thing. If this were a conspiracy, the tickets would have never been charged in Stalions name.
You are a decent guy but you are way off base here. No way he went to 30 games, was a whiz at sign stealing and none of the coordinators or Harbaugh would think to ask him why he was so good or why he was so good and that they should trust him a crucial play. There is also the video of C J Stroud changing a play at the line of scrimmage and 3 Michigan players who knew a pass was coming raising their hand in the air. If the players knew the signs and relied on them, the coaches had to know what was up. Impossible to have an "elite" staffer and not ask him how he did it because everyone would like to absorb the knowledge of the "elite" (in this instance, really cheater staffer) staffer.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The Big 10 doesn't just want Jim suspended, it wants his head. That is clear. They came in with a more drastic tone than anyone was expecting. That being said, I haven't been told Michigan is acquiesing to the mob.

I'll be working the phones late into the night on this, but wanted to say something to you guys

I won't tell you there's nothing to be concerned about. There is. But I will tell you I haven't been told the battle is over. Not yet.

So, breathe. I'll have something late tonight. Maybe super late depending on how many conversations I have. There will definitely be an update by the time you non night-owls wake up early in the mornin

-best UM insider
Are you real or trolling the board? How good are your sources? What other stories have you scooped?

Reactions: Westcoast24
Nothing that hasn’t been posted here already. Some in total denial and some in the let the investigation play out mode. Extremes on both arguments just like any other fan base would be if they were in the same situation I guess.
Hey Westcoast24, I found another category. hfhmilkman is both in denial while waiting for it play out.

For starters. Thanks to the Happy Valley board for being civil to an outsider and allowing for a good discourse of an emotional subject. The true winners regardless of what happens are PSU fans who know how to have a debate. I am summarizing a few things because I can't keep up with the responses.

Connor Stalions is an analyst who has the responsibility to steal signs. Every P5 team has dedicated personal for this activity. There are cases where I know it was thought that the other team had figured out Michigan's signs. 2018 NW and OSU come to mind. Signs are required in college football of antiquated rules. The technology to convert every DivI school to wireless is maybe a few thousand per team at most. High school programs use radio. The current situation exists because the NCAA wants it. I will leave it to speculation if it is inertia or something else why a sport that brings in billions does not transition to radios in the headsets. Whether it is done legally or not, the NCAA makes sign stealing part of the college game.

I will say that as a Michigan fan, if it turns out that the Michigan staff was aware of Stalions illegal conduct, I will assume reasonable that punishment should be meted out by the NCAA. If the rule was broken knowingly Michigan is at the mercy of the NCAA in terms of what the punishment would be. I personally may complain that the punishment may be more severe than it should. The way you make sure that happens is don't do it or don't get caught.

Regardless of who knew, I am of the opinion that having individuals tape games from the opposite sideline is of little to no significance with a bias towards the later. I will point to the Vegas spreads for Michigan's future games. The PSU and OSU coaching staffs were alleged to be aware of this situation since Sept. If a top ten team is unable to change or disguise their signaling scheme in a month, they get what deserved. I point to the Vegas spread as proof of my argument.

This leads to the last comment which is what should be done about it? If this is real or if a school really believes that the Big10 needs to intervene now, I expect a public statement stating that. There is zero chance that the either the Big10 or NCAA is going to abbreviate the standard process because a journalist alleges something. Nothing is going to happen in 2023 if no coach or AD is going to make a public statement. The Purdue coach, said he has evidence someone was in the stands. Neither he nor the AD of Purdue any AD has stated what should be done about it.

Whether it is the right thing or the wrong thing, my prediction is if there continues to be official silence, absolutely nothing will happen in 2023. Zilch. In my opinion everything points to Stalions doing is own thing. If this were a conspiracy, the tickets would have never been charged in Stalions name. It would have been done bag man style. Bag men don't even need to be compensated. They do it for the program. This is nothing to a bagman. That is how the SEC has been paying players for decades. Guys with no direct ties to the coaching staff hand out cash. If they get caught, they are just a guy giving a kid cash.

The NCAA has a new rule about the coach being responsible for the conduct of the staff. I take corporate training not to be aware of my conduct, but so my company can state I have been certified in a type of conduct if I break it. This is new ground. In that case it is not clear. Regardless, that will not be an issue until next year or 2025.

While we may disagree about certain aspects of this story and what, if any, punishment should be given, I would return the compliment to both you and WestCoast24.

It’s not easy to hear people picking on your team or to hear bad news and have to react on another school’s board. You both have been more than civil, something that’s very rare in society now and especially on the internet.

It wasn’t long ago we were dealing with a similar type situation as fans and can appreciate how difficult that can be.

Last edited:
If a top ten team is unable to change or disguise their signaling scheme in a month, they get what deserved.

In my opinion everything points to Stalions doing is own thing. If this were a conspiracy, the tickets would have never been charged in Stalions name. It would have been done bag man style. Bag men don't even need to be compensated. They do it for the program. This is nothing to a bagman.

Point 1- So now OSU and PSU need to waste a portion of the limited amount of time they get with the team on changing all of their signals instead of installing new wrinkles or working on other aspects of their game. Great so glad that's what we're spending time on in practice now. Can Michigan get docked the number of practice hours it takes us to change everything?

Point 2- You're incredibly naive if you believe he was just doing his own thing. He was interacting with BOTH of your coordinators throughout games while their units were on the field.

You're saying you believe that Harbaugh never noticed the guy making 50k a year was giving input to his coordinators on such a high percentage of play calls and or he did notice and never thought to ask what the deal was?

You also believe he just never noticed the giant laminated cards with incredibly detailed signs that could only have been made in advance, or he did and again just never asked about them?

If you believe that then you believe Harbaugh is an idiot, because if he's not an idiot then none of that is feasible. You can apply the same questions to both your OC and DC. Do you believe they are idiots?

Reactions: Thomas1945
Both ocs and Harbaugh are gone.
Would love to see the tears of the BTN fanboys if and when this hits the wires.

But likely outcome…. Nothing happens until after our game with them. If we win, they drop the hammer so suckeyes end up as undefeated conference rep.

If we lose…..nothing happens so that they protect The 125th Game of the Century with two undefeateds.

If Mich wins that one….. nothing until after playoffs end

Reactions: Psubiomed
Would love to see the tears of the BTN fanboys if and when this hits the wires.

But likely outcome…. Nothing happens until after our game with them. If we win, they drop the hammer so suckeyes end up as undefeated conference rep.

If we lose…..nothing happens so that they protect The 125th Game of the Century with two undefeateds.

If Mich wins that one….. nothing until after playoffs end
From what I am hearing it goes down BEFORE the PSU game

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
Here is a take on the big advantage of sign stealing by former OSU linebacker and 1st round draftee Bobby Carpenter and former LSU and pro football running back Jacob Hester.

"Bobby Carpenter: Devin, jump in here since I'm an OSU guy, and I don't want to be seen as piling on, but having to change all of your signs mid-year is a huge deal.

Jacob Hester: It's huge, particularly in college football. In college you only get 20 hours a week with your players, and after OTA's you don't want to spend time on signs again mid-season.

Carpenter: The signs are like learning a new language. You learn the language, it takes time for it to become locked-in. Then if you add a few more signs it's manageable, but even then it's a challenge particularly in an up tempo situation when you're moving fast. It's like when your trying to speak a new language fast. Then if you have to implement an entirely new sign system as opposed to just a few new signs it's like learning an entirely new language. It takes a lot of time, and even then everyone probably isn't going to be on the same page if it's a rush 2 minute drill or something.

Hester: Again there's only 20 hours a week to get this done in college. You're spending time that you would normally be using to run plays for the game and install new schemes, but instead you're doing signs. And these are college students not professionals so they have other obligations. It's not like they can just go home and study signs the rest of the night. " https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/college-sports/2023/11/142479/ttun-scandal-xxxvi Have to scroll down about 4 or 5 paragraphs to find the quotes.

Point 1- So now OSU and PSU need to waste a portion of the limited amount of time they get with the team on changing all of their signals instead of installing new wrinkles or working on other aspects of their game. Great so glad that's what we're spending time on in practice now. Can Michigan get docked the number of practice hours it takes us to change everything?

Point 2- You're incredibly naive if you believe he was just doing his own thing. He was interacting with BOTH of your coordinators throughout games while their units were on the field.

You're saying you believe that Harbaugh never noticed the guy making 50k a year was giving input to his coordinators on such a high percentage of play calls and or he did notice and never thought to ask what the deal was?

You also believe he just never noticed the giant laminated cards with incredibly detailed signs that could only have been made in advance, or he did and again just never asked about them?

If you believe that then you believe Harbaugh is an idiot, because if he's not an idiot then none of that is feasible. You can apply the same questions to both your OC and DC. Do you believe they are idiots?
On point one. Teams regularly change signs even at the high school level. You are making that out to be more than it is IMO.

Reactions: bluehair666
Finally, a word from Stallions and his attorney.

Until they say it wasn't him. Or something.
giphy.gif

Finally, a word from Stallions and his attorney.

Until they say it wasn't him. Or something.
Connor isn’t going to 🐀 the program out. So proving everything is now more difficult. Not impossible but more difficult. Unless there is pretty much universal and sustainable pressure from other BIG members this probably spills well into the off season or longer without a resolution.
Having said that, with all the twists and turns of this soap opera we may wake up Sunday and find that UM is on secret double probation for two years.

Connor isn’t going to 🐀 the program out. So proving everything is now more difficult. Not impossible but more difficult. Unless there is pretty much universal and sustainable pressure from other BIG members this probably spills well into the off season or longer without a resolution.
Having said that, with all the twists and turns of this soap opera we may wake up Sunday and find that UM is on secret double probation for two years.

Does he need to?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT