ADVERTISEMENT

More Trouble Brewing in Ann Arbor?

And you make a great point. They did sweep it under the rug. What administration do you believe handled it better? And isn't the responsibility of the administration to make major things like this as least impactful as possible?

That is pretty damn cynical and idiotic. You are talking football impact when 1000 people got molested. That stained administration's failure was that it threw Paterno under bus when scandal did not belong to him. The Second miles folks got to walk away. It was right to open investigation and get to bottom of how this tragedy occurred. Narrative should have pushed back on Freeh report and Emmert. Michigan did not even care to do any real investigation and simply settled. Is that ok? I think 3 former UM presidents are still alive who could have been involved in the Bo/Anderson scandal. Did anyone even interview them? Get a grip.

Last edited:
That is pretty damn cynical and idiotic. We are talking football when 1000 people got molested. That stained administration's failure was that it threw Paterno under bus when scandal did not belong to him. The Second miles folks got to walk away. It was right to open investigation and get to bottom of how this tragedy occurred. Narrative should have been controlled better. Michigan did not even care to do it. Is that ok? I think 3 former UM presidents are still alive who could have been involved in the Bo/Anderson scandal. Did anyone even interview them? Get a grip.
Sure, it's cynical but it's truthful not idiotic.
Why weren't they interviewed? Because the public and media went along with how Michigan handled it. Penn State's leaders made it worse.
I'm not saying those in charge of Michigan are good people or worthy of admiration. I'm saying they did their jobs better. I don't even really think you're arguing here. You just don't like what happened which is understandable.
The objective is for people not to think of scandals when your program is mentioned. We failed miserably at that. I'd wager most people would have no idea what you're talking about regarding Michigan.

Reactions: bluehair666
Why weren't they interviewed? Because the public and media went along with how Michigan handled it. Penn State's leaders made it worse.
I'm not saying those in charge of Michigan are good people or worthy of admiration. I'm saying they did their jobs better. I don't even really think you're arguing here. You just don't like what happened which is understandable.
The objective is for people not to think of scandals when your program is mentioned. We failed miserably at that. I'd wager most people would have no idea what you're talking about regarding Michigan.
The only lesson I take is like new software, don't be the first adopter. We simply were the first yet easily the least culpable with lesser victim count than MSU and UM molestation scandals. The media just cared less about kids and victims as each scandal came in. That is what I take.

The only lesson I take is like new software, don't be the first adopter. We simply were the first yet easily the least culpable with lesser victim count than MSU and UM molestation scandals. The media just cared less about kids and victims as each scandal came in. That is what I take.
Sure--I agree with most of that. We were first and handled it as poorly as possible. I think it's more about "who" were the victims than the media just caring less each time. I think most of us knew we were handling it wrong even as it was happening though. I don't feel like that's a great excuse.

Sure--I agree with most of that. We were first and handled it as poorly as possible. I think it's more about "who" were the victims than the media just caring less each time. I think most of us knew we were handling it wrong even as it was happening though. I don't feel like that's a great excuse.
Wrong. It was about the face of the scandal. Paterno was alive, Bo was dead. There were child victims in all of them if going strictly by accusations. Accusations were taken as truth during Sandusky scandal. They were hardly investigated in other scandals, dismissed by media.

Wrong. It was about the face of the scandal. Paterno was alive, Bo was dead. There were child victims in all of them if going strictly by accusations. Accusations were taken as truth during Sandusky scandal. They were hardly investigated in other scandals, dismissed by media.
Sandusky was convicted and Penn State took blame, right or wrong?
Paterno being dead or alive wouldn't have changed it. People hated the "we do things the right way" and when that happens people want you to burn. It's not fair, and Paterno did run a clean program, it's just reality.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Famous words from Canham: Never turn a one day problem into a two day problem. Those in charge did not deny or obfuscate. They paid and ended the news cycle.

Here it comes, from other site, hammer about to drop...
BGNL
Posted on 6 mins, , User Since 65 months ago, User Post Count: 14491
  • 6 mins
  • 65 months
TOS Michigan insider is giving up - just reported more evidence was uncovered and told his board minions to buckle up. They asked him what about Harbaugh signing the contract extention ASAP and he stated "No Chance". Apparently Big Ten brought very damning evidence to the meeting that is not yet leaked

Paterno being dead or alive wouldn't have changed it. People hated the "we do things the right way" and when that happens people want you to burn. It's not fair, and Paterno did run a clean program, it's just reality.
Now yer gettin close to the reality of what happened. There is nothing the press loves more than building someone up and then tearing him down. Paterno preached his philosophy of winning with honor and academics…..they loved building that up….then saw him as arrogant and pious so they loved bringing him down. Feeds their egos and lust for power.

And the BOT hated him because he had more power and respect than they did. Couple that with all the dirty dealing they had been doing for years and were petrified it would be exposed. Add in a governor with a massive ego.

Reactions: Roaring Run
Now yer gettin close to the reality of what happened. There is nothing the press loves more than building someone up and then tearing him down. Paterno preached his philosophy of winning with honor and academics…..they loved building that up….then saw him as arrogant and pious so they loved bringing him down. Feeds their egos and lust for power.

And the BOT hated him because he had more power and respect than they did. Couple that with all the dirty dealing they had been doing for years and were petrified it would be exposed. Add in a governor with a massive ego.
No disagreement with any of that. Actually, couldn't agree more. Doesn't alter Michigan handled their situation better.

Here it comes, from other site, hammer about to drop...
BGNL
Posted on 6 mins, , User Since 65 months ago, User Post Count: 14491
  • 6 mins
  • 65 months
TOS Michigan insider is giving up - just reported more evidence was uncovered and told his board minions to buckle up. They asked him what about Harbaugh signing the contract extention ASAP and he stated "No Chance". Apparently Big Ten brought very damning evidence to the meeting that is not yet leaked
Also heard that CS is now fired instead of on paid leave.

No one gave a sh&t about Sandusky or Spanier. It never would have escalated to level if Paterno was dead. They needed him alive, speaking, wandering around and looking culpable to sell story to the masses who knew Paterno and nothing else about Penn State. The Syracuse, NW, Ivy alums used it as a chance to bring down a sports nemesis. It is Shakespearean tragedy, Camelot..practically sells itself.

No one gave a sh&t about Sandusky or Spanier. It never would have escalated to level if Paterno was dead. They needed him alive, speaking, wandering around and looking culpable to sell story to the masses who knew Paterno and nothing else about Penn State. The Syracuse, NW, Ivy alums used it as a chance to bring down a sports nemesis. It is Shakespearean tragedy, Camelot..practically sells itself.
Why are Northwestern alums "taking down Paterno"?

Why are Northwestern alums "taking down Paterno"?
Really? Did you not get message that elitist NW has a chip on its shoulder for being BT athletics doormat. They are only second to Syracuse grads in terms of sports media yellow journalism. Wilbon, Stewart Mandel, Mike Greenberg..even Seth Meyers absolutely brutalized PSU every night. Look around.

Last edited:
Well it doesn't solve anything. Not one single thing.
Jesus Mary and Joseph I’ve found another one with no understanding of sarcasm. Maybe I’ll try this way with different language meaning the same thing, and perhaps you’ll grasp it. “Stalions being fired should in no way, shape or form effect the continued investigation into the U of Michigan’s cheating scandal”.

Really? Did you not get message that elitist NW has a chip on its shoulder for being BT athletics doormat. They are only second to Syracuse grads in terms of sports media yellow journalism.
I attended Northwestern. Absolutely zero ill-will towards Penn State. Pat Fitzgerald, in fact, was one of Joe's biggest supporters. The media not liking Joe isn't about where they went to school.

I attended Northwestern. Absolutely zero ill-will towards Penn State. Pat Fitzgerald, in fact, was one of Joe's biggest supporters. The media not liking Joe isn't about where they went to school.
They are the premiere sport journalism schools so perhaps it seemed like both were overly represented in sports media smearing. They both just happen to be long time rivals. Not like Stanford grads were overly obsessed. Not doubt that Syracuse grads/ESPN has it out for PSU given history. They loved it.

Neither CBS Sports nor ESPN have anything about Michigan in their top headlines. I don't even see anything on their main pages.
Are we sure this is as big of a deal nationally as people here are claiming/want to believe?
Yeah Finebaum is angry but he usually is about something. There's definitely been articles about it. But if this was truly on the level everyone here believes wouldn't it be the main headline?
Dude top headline on ESPN is Stalions resigns amidst investigation at Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT