ADVERTISEMENT

More bowl games...

Wrigley Field in December. Brrrr.

College football is a passion of mine, so I enjoy having the option to watch as many games as I want throughout December.

Bowls quit being primarily rewards for very good seasons long, long ago, when there were 4 major bowls and a very few others (Gator, Bluebonnet, Liberty come to mind). Now, other than the Invitational (and the NY6 to an extent, then the B1G-SEC bowls on NY Day to a lesser extent), the bowls are really just an extension of the regular season with chosen match-ups. More for fans and TV than anything else, outside of the business aspects for the orgs/cities hosting. To me, it is similar to the November college basketball match-ups. I like seeing the intersectional, inter-conference games that may otherwise not take place.

So, a 5-7 BYU vs. 6-6 Purdue? 5-7 Cal vs. 6-6 Ga. Tech? 5-7 Utah State vs. 5-7 South Alabama? I'll tune in for at least some (or most, if entertaining enough) of such games... same as I might choose to do if they were playing in September or October. And with sports books now alive and well not all that far from home, maybe I'll treat myself to a little side entertainment, too. (I don't think Cal can contain the Ga. Tech option offense, so I'll take Ga. Tech at -6.5 and the over at 68.5.)

Hell, let all FBS teams be 'eligible' for a December game. They shouldn't need the NCAA blessing (but I'm guessing they actually do) or an official bowl sponsorship. So no bowls available for 3-9 New Mexico State and 4-8 Oregon State, but both schools are willing, let 'em schedule a game on their own. It's their cost, their risk, and I bet CBSSports would still pick it up for a mid-Dec. Tuesday 9:30 pm kickoff at the minimum going rate. And I bet I'd check in on it to see a couple of teams I rarely get to see.

Reactions: bmw199

College football is a passion of mine, so I enjoy having the option to watch as many games as I want throughout December.

Bowls quit being primarily rewards for very good seasons long, long ago, when there were 4 major bowls and a very few others (Gator, Bluebonnet, Liberty come to mind). Now, other than the Invitational (and the NY6 to an extent, then the B1G-SEC bowls on NY Day to a lesser extent), the bowls are really just an extension of the regular season with chosen match-ups. More for fans and TV than anything else, outside of the business aspects for the orgs/cities hosting. To me, it is similar to the November college basketball match-ups. I like seeing the intersectional, inter-conference games that may otherwise not take place.

So, a 5-7 BYU vs. 6-6 Purdue? 5-7 Cal vs. 6-6 Ga. Tech? 5-7 Utah State vs. 5-7 South Alabama? I'll tune in for at least some (or most, if entertaining enough) of such games... same as I might choose to do if they were playing in September or October. And with sports books now alive and well not all that far from home, maybe I'll treat myself to a little side entertainment, too. (I don't think Cal can contain the Ga. Tech option offense, so I'll take Ga. Tech at -6.5 and the over at 68.5.)

Hell, let all FBS teams be 'eligible' for a December game. They shouldn't need the NCAA blessing (but I'm guessing they actually do) or an official bowl sponsorship. So no bowls available for 3-9 New Mexico State and 4-8 Oregon State, but both schools are willing, let 'em schedule a game on their own. It's their cost, their risk, and I bet CBSSports would still pick it up for a mid-Dec. Tuesday 9:30 pm kickoff at the minimum going rate. And I bet I'd check in on it to see a couple of teams I rarely get to see.

Weather aside, Wrigley Field, like Yankee Stadium, is not a good place to play football. In fact, it's downright dangerous. When Northwestern played Illinois in 2010, they only used one end zone for offensive plays.

Reactions: whart and Bob78
Weather aside, Wrigley Field, like Yankee Stadium, is not a good place to play football. In fact, it's downright dangerous. When Northwestern played Illinois in 2010, they only used one end zone for offensive plays.

True but supposedly they've fixed that problem--guess we'll see in 2020 when Wisconsin and NW play there

College football must be a passion of yours if you're up for watching 4-8 play 3-9 in December. I like college football but two bad teams in the post-season is where I draw the line.

The intersectional games are good early in the season when everybody has hope but by the time you finish up in late November, if you haven't had a decent season then just end it. Like that guy on the episode of Seinfeld told George when George was double dipping, just take one dip and end it! Just lose your 8th game of the season in late November and end it.

I may be the exception but the proliferation of games...12 regular season games, conference title games, a bowl game for every team that's not terrible...has kinda diluted the product a bit. Each game feels a little less special. Maybe I'm just getting old. And oh, one more thing, you kids get off of my lawn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT