ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Mitchell Mesenbrink Commits To Penn State

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
Junior World Silver medalist announced he’s transferring from Cal Baptist to PSU.

Messenbrink says he took the last year to do online school, so still has full eligibility including RS if necessary.

Says he’s spent the overwhelming amount of time the last year training at AWA with guys like Ben Askren and Aeoden Sinclair.

Only took one official visit, took four overall. Missouri, UM, PSU and Ohio State were the finalists. But PSU was the only official visit.

Says he knew on the visit that he wanted to commit but didn’t want to pull the trigger then. Also took other visits after.

Mentioned that the decision to transfer had to do with him committing before his senior year and then taking a step up in his commitment to wrestling and jumping levels.

Messenbrink says he talked to Haines and Facundo and never felt weird or that it was competitive. Says he Levi had a good talk. Sounds like he’s gonna listen to the coaches about 57/65/ORS.

Fully invested in the coaches. Yeah, we got a good one…

Realistically this is going to come down to him or Facundo taking a ORS. Levi is going 157 and winning a title in 2024. My guess is whoever loses in the room is the RS. Either way it's gonna get really weird when Sealey comes in for the 2024-25 season. Maybe Facundo just sits and spends the rest of his career at 174?

I’m really excited about this one. Definite roster issues on the horizon but man oh man did we get a good one. I think he is a high AA from the jump. Absolutely love how he wrestles and competes. A motor like SVN but better leg attacks. The team being built is possibly one of the best ever

Reactions: nerfstate and mcpat
Realistically this is going to come down to him or Facundo taking a ORS. Levi is going 157 and winning a title in 2024. My guess is whoever loses in the room is the RS. Either way it's gonna get really weird when Sealey comes in for the 2024-25 season. Maybe Facundo just sits and spends the rest of his career at 174?
Things tend to a find way. I imagine that’ll be the case here. Somebody may leave unhappy, but it won’t be because they weren’t given a chance.

7j1m0u.jpg

His dad understands wrestling and so does his club coach. Askren wants what is best for his guys and he knows Cael can help him reach his dreams. It is a chance to learn different approaches and attacks that will fit with the style he already wrestles. The other thing I have heard from a couple connections up there is MM is a very intense competitive young man who suddenly turns it off and talks like a student council member when ot on the mat. Like Zain or Nolf lol.

Wow this came out of nowhere didn't even realize we were in on him a few months ago. If nagao comes in we are going to have a dream team. I really want nagao he rounds out the lighter weights and has three years to compete.

"He said the culture his dad and Ben have built at AWA lines up perfectly with what he saw at Penn State. In describing that culture Mesenbrink said, “It’s about being a good person…doing things the right way…focusing on performance over winning, and becoming a master at wrestling.” How does this translate to Mesenbrink’s wrestling on the mat? “You know what to expect from me every time I take the mat - I’m going to wrestle my absolute hardest…I would rather lose knowing I tried every single thing possible to win than win and stall.”'"

Love the mindset.

Wow. This team is absolutely stacked.

I think we end up with Cannon..

Projected lineup

125 Howard
133 Cannon
141 Bartlett
149 Van Ness
157 Messenbrink (Haines RS)
165 Facundo
174 Starocci
184 Truax
197 Brooks
285 Kerk
That’s a scary team. I could see Haines going 57 and Messenbrink going 65. Or Mess redshirting and Facundo going.

Wow. This team is absolutely stacked.

I think we end up with Cannon..

Projected lineup

125 Howard
133 Cannon
141 Bartlett
149 Van Ness
157 Messenbrink (Haines RS)
165 Facundo
174 Starocci
184 Truax
197 Brooks