ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch Mesenbrink Interview

He says he believes he is levels above where he was when he won U20 Silver because he knows he did all the right things the last year. Even if he goes 0-1 BBQ at worlds because of draw and whatever, he isn't worried, it's about the process and enjoying it. Says as a freshman, he did the "put your goals on a wall" (he wrote 4x WI champ) thing and he fell short so now he doesn't do that anymore.

Calls Penn State the best place in the world to train, wanted to go there since he was 8. Talks about gratitude for being at PSU. He is not remotely worried about where he fits in the folk lineup. His goal obviously is to start and win but that is everyone's goals. Says there are wrestlers that aren't starting who would place at NCAAs. But if he doesn't or is redshirting, he's at peace having the chance to train with Dake. Also pointed out even if he isn't the folk starter, he can still focus fully on freestyle, like he is doing right now for worlds. He is rooming with Aaron Nagao.

He says he could go 174 one day but would need to get bigger but has the frame (talks about Cassar/DT adding muscle) Seemed most excited about the prospect of 165 because of competition and cited Keegan. Says coaches haven't remotely talked to him about weight yet, just focus on worlds. Dake likes Mesenbrink as a Sidakov simulation :eek:

Last edited:
He says he believes he is levels above where he was when he won U20 Silver because he knows he did all the right things the last year. Even if he goes 0-1 BBQ at worlds because of draw and whatever, he isn't worried, it's about the process and enjoying it. Says as a freshman, he did the "put your goals on a wall" (he wrote 4x WI champ) thing and he fell short so now he doesn't do that anymore.

Calls Penn State the best place in the world to train, wanted to go there since he was 8. Talks about gratitude for being at PSU. He is not remotely worried about where he fits in the folk lineup. His goal obviously is to start and win but that is everyone's goals. Says there are wrestlers that aren't starting who would place at NCAAs. But if he doesn't or is redshirting, he's at peace having the chance to train with Dake. Also pointed out even if he isn't the folk starter, he can still focus fully on freestyle, like he is doing right now for worlds. He is rooming with Aaron Nagao.

He says he could go 174 one day but would need to get bigger but has the frame (talks about Cassar/DT adding muscle) Seemed most excited about the prospect of 165 because of competition and cited Keegan. Says coaches haven't remotely talked to him about weight yet, just focus on worlds. Dake likes Mesenbrink as a Sidakov simulation :eek:
Thank you for sharing.

I mean, for years (really since MM broke out to make the world team), Askren has been teased that MM is his mini-me. Askren himself has said he's the wrestler in his club that most reminds him of himself (most people think it's KOT but Askren says MM). High praise, but you really see it come through in his wrestling and attitude. Fits perfectly with the guys PSU has had the last decade or so.

I am excited to see him wrestle for the US and PSU.

great interview. It seems like he didn't have the confidence at that time to go to PSU, obviously, he acquired it shortly after that based on his interview and results.

great interview. It seems like he didn't have the confidence at that time to go to PSU, obviously, he acquired it shortly after that based on his interview and results.

But seriously, Mesenbrink's rise as a top recruit might be the greatest senior year jump ever. He finished in 7th place at Super 32 his senior year... wrestles a Wisconsin schedule.. and then boom.. he's beating top recruits and wins a world silver medal.

Askren talked about his jump on Flo a bit, and he said the biggest thing was getting Mitchell to handfight more, not just think that he was going to score from only outside shots. It really is a testament to the Askren's system.

But seriously, Mesenbrink's rise as a top recruit might be the greatest senior year jump ever. He finished in 7th place at Super 32 his senior year... wrestles a Wisconsin schedule.. and then boom.. he's beating top recruits and wins a world silver medal.

Askren talked about his jump on Flo a bit, and he said the biggest thing was getting Mitchell to handfight more, not just think that he was going to score from only outside shots. It really is a testament to the Askren's system.
A lot of people are taking a "wait and see" approach with him, which is understandable. He really did come out of nowhere. Mesenbrink himself said he can't say for certain if he's a podium level guy or even the starter yet. One thing is though, a lot of people said Mesenbrink might just be better at free but forgot he DNPed Fargo in 2021 also. I think he just made a jump, period.

Reactions: vhsalum
@vhsalum wasn't wrong about Mesenbrink literally just shocking the world out of nowhere at the US Open ... his results.

Manriquez 11-0 (0:25)
Watts 11-0 (1:29)
Burgess 12-2 (3:36)
Henson 13-2 (2:09)
Skellenger 10-0 (2:27)
Lamer 10-0 (0:38)
Johnson 18-8 (5:39)

Then he beat Levi (who did have to wrestle 3 guys before) a month later at trials before getting world silver
2-2 on criteria
7-2

The biggest take away for me was just how appealing the PSU wrestling program is. His phrase about not stressing to win so much as being there to 'master' wrestling is a unique concept. I haven't heard it put like that before but this the program is like fly tape to top wrestlers, regardless of who else is at their weight, and this is certainly part of the glue.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
A lot of people are taking a "wait and see" approach with him, which is understandable. He really did come out of nowhere. Mesenbrink himself said he can't say for certain if he's a podium level guy or even the starter yet. One thing is though, a lot of people said Mesenbrink might just be better at free but forgot he DNPed Fargo in 2021 also. I think he just made a jump, period.
Let’s remember that Nolf went from putting up Beckman-like scores to turning into one of the most inventive, dangerous wrestlers in the past several decades - all in about 18 months.

If he was a Pa boy, the hype on here would be way higher. This AWA connection is going to be a boon for us - Askren clearly knows what he’s doing

Askren is starting to build quite a legacy. He is a sponge and has applied some of what he can glean from Cael's methods, but he clearly has a very effective Ben Askren way of doing things as well. I am thrilled he seems to have become more supportive of our program over the years. If any of his kids ask where they should go to be the best they can be, there is only one place. The Wisconsin market needs Ben and he is delivering. I hope AWA turns into a long standing pipeline to SC.

Reactions: The Kid Twist
Askren is starting to build quite a legacy. He is a sponge and has applied some of what he can glean from Cael's methods, but he clearly has a very effective Ben Askren way of doing things as well. I am thrilled he seems to have become more supportive of our program over the years. If any of his kids ask where they should go to be the best they can be, there is only one place. The Wisconsin market needs Ben and he is delivering. I hope AWA turns into a long standing pipeline to SC.

He's never NOT been supportive/liked PSU. Every. Sure, he can troll with the best of them, but if you listen to what he actually says, and not just snippets - he's always been in amazement of what Cael and Co. do - he was just always pissed that Cael wouldn't share anything.

Fun fact: You guys should have had O'Toole - and Askren tried as hard as he could, but Facundo was the pick instead.

He's never NOT been supportive/liked PSU. Every. Sure, he can troll with the best of them, but if you listen to what he actually says, and not just snippets - he's always been in amazement of what Cael and Co. do - he was just always pissed that Cael wouldn't share anything.

Fun fact: You guys should have had O'Toole - and Askren tried as hard as he could, but Facundo was the pick instead.
Think of the things O’Toole could’ve done in the PSU room. His style reminds me a bit of Nolf with the creativity and attacking mindset. Definitely one that got away but I think we will be ok

It’s also insane to think about but if not for AB, it’s very likely Parker K has 2 titles already and is the favorite for the next 2. 2 of his NCAA finishes he only has lost to AB.

Think of the things O’Toole could’ve done in the PSU room. His style reminds me a bit of Nolf with the creativity and attacking mindset. Definitely one that got away but I think we will be ok
I have a feeling e will be seeing Keegan in the NLWC shortly. He knows who is going to take him to the next level on the world stage and Ben will be whispering in his ear as well along with Mitchell and Marisola twins. Parker K will also be here shortly.

Ben and his brother are the Cael/Cody/Casey of junior and HS wrestling. They have cracked the code for early wrestler development. I think David T will rival them once he retires and devotes his full-time to M2.

I have a feeling e will be seeing Keegan in the NLWC shortly. He knows who is going to take him to the next level on the world stage and Ben will be whispering in his ear as well along with Mitchell and Marisola twins. Parker K will also be here shortly.

Ben and his brother are the Cael/Cody/Casey of junior and HS wrestling. They have cracked the code for early wrestler development. I think David T will rival them once he retires and devotes his full-time to M2.
Damn - that’s a lot to unpack. KOT is doing just fine in Columbia. Maybe we will see him at NLWC after he graduates. Parker …. Humm …. I doubt he is an upgrade, but, I do have to admit that his coaches don’t seem to have developed him much over the last year. The guy is good, but, he lives in a plateau. Iowa City is flat enough for Parker. Really, … just how many times do you need to go up against AB before you try a new strategy.
DT - you on the money there!

Damn - that’s a lot to unpack. KOT is doing just fine in Columbia. Maybe we will see him at NLWC after he graduates. Parker …. Humm …. I doubt he is an upgrade, but, I do have to admit that his coaches don’t seem to have developed him much over the last year. The guy is good, but, he lives in a plateau. Iowa City is flat enough for Parker. Really, … just how many times do you need to go up against AB before you try a new strategy.
DT - you on the money there!
I should have been clearer KOT and Parker will join the NLWC after they graduate and want to prepare for an international freestyle career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT