ADVERTISEMENT

Mike McQueary is... (poll)

Mike McQueary is...

• A pathological liar who will lose his suit

• Misunderstood and deserves a payday from PSU

• A hero who helped lock a monster away

Results are only viewable after voting.
Cast in the role of "A Scapegoat" in this saga. A lifelong SC townie, he was given the role after having witnessed an unusual event on a night when he indulged in a typical SC weekend evening before visiting his locker in a PSU facility. He has been cast in this role as cover for the politicians, LE, and CSA professionals who did nothing when they had the opportunities to do something. He is one of several scapegoats created by that group.

He's not a "scapegoat."
He can be a man and stand up and tell the truth anytime he wants.
He knows damn well that he did not tell anyone that he saw Sandusky raping a child.

A pawn, quickly sacrificed, but also a man of little character.

Hm. Forgot about this.

ONE EVENING IN October 2010, a Penn State football fan named Christopher Houser was reading Blue White Illustrated, a Nittany Lions fan site. He struck up a private chat with John McQueary II about whether Sandusky would ever coach again at PSU. John II told Houser that it was highly unlikely because his younger brother, Mike, had walked in on Sandusky and a boy in a locker room shower in the early 2000s.

It isn't known whether Houser, who did not return The Mag's calls, was aware that a grand jury was investigating Sandusky at the time; he later told investigators that he simply assumed the shower incident had not been reported to the police. So on Nov. 3, 2010, Houser sent an anonymous email to Centre County District Attorney Stacy Parks Miller describing what John II had said, according to a summary of his interview with investigators. Parks Miller quickly forwarded the email to state police trooper Scott Rossman, an investigator who had worked on the Sandusky investigation in the past. In a note on a summary document, Parks Miller told Rossman "someone should contact and interview Penn State Assistant Football Coach Michael McQueary [in] reference [to] the Sandusky Investigation."

Houser's tip provided the break that investigators needed. At 7 p.m. on Nov. 10, 2010, Rossman and Anthony Sassano, an agent in the office of the attorney general, went to McQueary's home, but his wife, Barbara, told them he was still working at the Lasch Building. She called her husband and handed the phone to one of the investigators. McQueary agreed to meet them anywhere but at his home.

I understand your point Wendy. The fact that Sandusky was showering with a child in a secluded location at night - which is unquestionably creepy, but not illegal in the strict sense - isn't the entire issue. MM described behavior which the AG later described as "anal rape" in the presentment. That's what caused the hysteria.

21guns (and some others) keep pushing the idea that the mere act of an adult in a gang shower with a child is enough to call the cops.

That's just ludicrous. That can only be argued but someone who spends more time in front of the TV than actually participating in sports.
I belong to two different private athletic clubs. One has a separate "junior clubhouse." The other doesn't and during the summer it's pretty common for young teens to be around as late as 9pm. Before this mess I never would have thought anything of kids being in the locker room at the same time as me. It's just completely dishonest to pretend that in 2001 people should have automatically thought of this as grounds for suspicion.

Hm. Forgot about this.

ONE EVENING IN October 2010, a Penn State football fan named Christopher Houser was reading Blue White Illustrated, a Nittany Lions fan site. He struck up a private chat with John McQueary II about whether Sandusky would ever coach again at PSU. John II told Houser that it was highly unlikely because his younger brother, Mike, had walked in on Sandusky and a boy in a locker room shower in the early 2000s.

It isn't known whether Houser, who did not return The Mag's calls, was aware that a grand jury was investigating Sandusky at the time; he later told investigators that he simply assumed the shower incident had not been reported to the police. So on Nov. 3, 2010, Houser sent an anonymous email to Centre County District Attorney Stacy Parks Miller describing what John II had said, according to a summary of his interview with investigators. Parks Miller quickly forwarded the email to state police trooper Scott Rossman, an investigator who had worked on the Sandusky investigation in the past. In a note on a summary document, Parks Miller told Rossman "someone should contact and interview Penn State Assistant Football Coach Michael McQueary [in] reference [to] the Sandusky Investigation."

Houser's tip provided the break that investigators needed. At 7 p.m. on Nov. 10, 2010, Rossman and Anthony Sassano, an agent in the office of the attorney general, went to McQueary's home, but his wife, Barbara, told them he was still working at the Lasch Building. She called her husband and handed the phone to one of the investigators. McQueary agreed to meet them anywhere but at his home.

It would be interesting to see that exact email traffic. Was that ever entered into evidence?

21guns (and some others) keep pushing the idea that the mere act of an adult in a gang shower with a child is enough to call the cops.

That's just ludicrous. That can only be argued but someone who spends more time in front of the TV than actually participating in sports.
I belong to two different private athletic clubs. One has a separate "junior clubhouse." The other doesn't and during the summer it's pretty common for young teens to be around as late as 9pm. Before this mess I never would have thought anything of kids being in the locker room at the same time as me. It's just completely dishonest to pretend that in 2001 people should have automatically thought of this as grounds for suspicion.
21 Guns ain't the poster child for Darwinian evolution.

He's about as useful as rubber lips on a woodpecker.

Dunno. But agree - would be very interesting to read....

Never mind, I found it in the Moulton Report.

Ms Miller, I am contacting you regarding the Jerry Sandusky investigation. If you have not yet done so, you need to contact and interview Penn State football assistant coach Mike McQueary. He may have witnessed something involving Jerry Sandusky and a child that would be pertinent to the investigation.

Signed, A Concerned Citizen

Very vague. Doesn't explicitly say that Mike had witnessed Sandusky engaged in a sexual act.

DID SEXUAL ASSAULT occur on Feb. 9, 2001? That question will likely be explored at the trial of Spanier, Curley and Schultz, especially if the defense calls to the stand Victim 2, an individual claiming to be the boy McQueary saw in the shower with Sandusky.

Victim 2 has never testified under oath -- he and Victim 8 were the only two of Sandusky's 10 victims who did not -- and no one is certain what Victim 2 would say. But the defense would likely hope it'd be something similar to what he told Joe Amendola, Sandusky's defense lawyer, in November 2011. Days after the presentment was released, Amendola received a phone call from a man in his mid-20s, claiming to be Victim 2. At the time, his identity was unknown to the prosecutors, so Amendola thought he'd caught a break. On Nov. 9, 2011, the young man and his mother sat on a couch in Amendola's office to answer a series of questions.

The man told Amendola that at the time of the shower incident he was 14, not 10 or 11, as McQueary estimated. According to a five-page memo of the interview written by Curtis Everhart, Amendola's investigator, the man also said that the incident happened on Feb. 9, 2001 -- the Friday after national signing day, a busy night on campus -- not on March 1, 2002, as the prosecution had written in its presentment. The man said "this particular night is very clear in my mind," the memo states. In the shower after a workout, the man said he and Sandusky "were slapping towels at each other, trying to sting each other. I would slap the walls and would slide on the shower floor, which I am sure you could have heard from the wooden locker." The man said he recalled hearing a locker slam but never saw who closed it.

"The grand jury report says Coach McQueary said he observed Jerry and I engaged in sexual activity," the man said. "Nothing occurred that night in the shower."

Pressed by Everhart on how he could be so certain it was the same night, the man said Sandusky told him soon after that someone "saw us engaged in sexual acts and reported this to school officials." Sandusky had indeed been notified of the complaint by Curley, though Curley did not tell Sandusky that McQueary was the witness, Amendola says.

"Did PSU officials ever contact you?" Everhart asked Victim 2.

"Never," the man said. "What McQueary said he observed is wrong. I can't understand why this was said. It is not the truth."

Never mind, I found it in the Moulton Report.

Very vague. Doesn't explicitly say that Mike had witnessed Sandusky engaged in a sexual act.

Moreover - can you believe McQueary II would just say something like that to someone on a message board? So strange.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT