ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan up to 28 commits now. Who gets denied a scholarship?

Based on the fact that they had a small class last year, I don't think that this is something that is over the top, at least just yet. If they are at 88 and get down to 85 within the allotted time period by asking kids who have graduated to move on, so be it. I'm not going to cry foul about that. I will admit though that the situation warrants keeping an eye on, particularly to see how many recruits are taken next year. If another 30 recruit class comes in next year, then I think its fair to give them their "SEC transfer papers". Frankly what I find more worrisome at this point is the offering of scholarships to HS kids and then walking away just before signing day. That and the sleep-overs and tree climbing. Ric Flair ...... really???? Geez, have a little respect for yourselves....

We're at 88.

Three fifth-year players won't be invited back.

Then we're at 85.

Not unique, not unethical, not an issue.

Harbaugh is firing up the old woodchipper he had bought at Stanford and put in storage while in the NFL, but now needs to refire at scUM. What a disgrace - especially that scUM's president has come out in vocal support of Har-puke's dishonorable, unethical and disgraceful tactics - a complete embarrassment to not only scUM, but the b1g shiz-hole hypocritical conference in general.

Reactions: 91Joe95
No, they aren't shafted. They were given 4 years to obtain their degree from UM. The 5th year is never guaranteed, or are you under the impression that PSU allows ALL scholarship players to stay for 5 years?
Could you PLEASE refrain from defending everything scUM does by making accusations to suggest Penn State does the same thing?!? Good God, man, you're creepy! Another thing......stay away from here until you can at least admit some of Harbaugh's recruiting practices are NOT transparent.

Leave by choice or asked to leave? As far as I know, 5th year PSU guys left on their own. I can't remember any (although there may be a few) PSU 5th year kids that were asked to leave to free up scholarship space.
As far as you know?

You are just lashing out.

Based on the fact that they had a small class last year, I don't think that this is something that is over the top, at least just yet. If they are at 88 and get down to 85 within the allotted time period by asking kids who have graduated to move on, so be it. I'm not going to cry foul about that. I will admit though that the situation warrants keeping an eye on, particularly to see how many recruits are taken next year. If another 30 recruit class comes in next year, then I think its fair to give them their "SEC transfer papers". Frankly what I find more worrisome at this point is the offering of scholarships to HS kids and then walking away just before signing day. That and the sleep-overs and tree climbing. Ric Flair ...... really???? Geez, have a little respect for yourselves....

Ric Flair was part of an event that raised over $100k for child cancer research.

Reactions: Peter_North
Could you PLEASE refrain from defending everything scUM does by making accusations to suggest Penn State does the same thing?!? Good God, man, you're creepy! Another thing......stay away from here until you can at least admit some of Harbaugh's recruiting practices are NOT transparent.
Creepy?
This is just just football recruiting.
It's an open message board with a post about Michigan's coach. Folks will respond.

There are certainly more serious things that would be creepy. So some PSU recruits flipped to Michigan. 2 are from Michigan. Wish them well and hope their replacements excel.

Creepy?
This is just just football recruiting.
It's an open message board with a post about Michigan's coach. Folks will respond.

There are certainly more serious things that would be creepy. So some PSU recruits flipped to Michigan. 2 are from Michigan. Wish them well and hope their replacements excel.

I am curious about how a Michigan fan feels about Harbaugh refusing to talk with kids who have verbally committed to Michigan. Also, how do you feel in general about him accepting a verbal commitment then discarding that 18 yr old kid when he finds someone he believes is better.

I understand there are no rules against it, just wonder what you opinion is.

Ric Flair was part of an event that raised over $100k for child cancer research.

Ric Flair was part of recruiting circus. If PSU students can raise +/- $10,000,000 (that's right 7 zeros) each year with Thon without this kind of nonsense, then the $100K could easily been raised amongst the Wolverine faithful without him.

Franklin has processed non contributing 5th year players who have graduated everywhere he has been, multiple this year as recently as the last few weeks so yes Penn State is doing it as well

Franklin has processed non contributing 5th year players who have graduated everywhere he has been, multiple this year as recently as the last few weeks so yes Penn State is doing it as well[/QUOT

What about processing commits less than 2 weeks before NSD?

Njlion73- the post I was replying to was in reference to processing players that have already graduated.

Njlion73- the post I was replying to was in reference to processing players that have already graduated.

I know that. I would like your opinion on processing players that have verbally committed. I realize it is a different set of circumstances, that is why I am asking.

Could you PLEASE refrain from defending everything scUM does by making accusations to suggest Penn State does the same thing?!?
I don't do that, however with this particular example I'm correct. It's funny. Every school makes decisions on which 5th year seniors are invited back. But let's blast UM for something your school does as well.

Another thing......stay away from here until you can at least admit some of Harbaugh's recruiting practices are NOT transparent
I have stated on this board as well as UM's that I'm not a fan of how Harbaugh handled the recruiting process.

Reactions: thetruth82
Ric Flair was part of recruiting circus. If PSU students can raise +/- $10,000,000 (that's right 7 zeros) each year with Thon without this kind of nonsense, then the $100K could easily been raised amongst the Wolverine faithful without him.
You guys can call it a circus all you want. I get that slamming UM makes you feel better. But, did you watch the event? It was pretty cool and well done. Ric Flair, along with all the other 'celebs' played a minor role by introducing each kid. Then, as their highlights were played on the big screen, Shannahan, Holtz and McShay discussed each kid. I have no doubt this would have been celebrated had Franklin done something similar.

I know that. I would like your opinion on processing players that have verbally committed. I realize it is a different set of circumstances, that is why I am asking.
It was a huge topic on our board. Many of us thought it was bullsh!t and didn't defend Harbaugh while some believe it's what is needed to keep up with the Alabamas and OSUs of the world.

Interestingly enough, two of Rivals' regional recruiting analysts were on a podcast discussing it. Basically said it's done in the South all the time and it's not a big deal.

If this is Harbaugh's process then so be it. My hope is that he communicates better with each kid going forward. If both parties understand the situation and are fine with it then it's not that big of a deal, imo.

It was a huge topic on our board. Many of us thought it was bullsh!t and didn't defend Harbaugh while some believe it's what is needed to keep up with the Alabamas and OSUs of the world.

Interestingly enough, two of Rivals' regional recruiting analysts were on a podcast discussing it. Basically said it's done in the South all the time and it's not a big deal.

If this is Harbaugh's process then so be it. My hope is that he communicates better with each kid going forward. If both parties understand the situation and are fine with it then it's not that big of a deal, imo.

So, if it is Harbaugh's process, then so be it. He can do no wrong. Having sleepovers are apparently fine as well, since that is Harbaugh's process. Tell me, how does he decide who's house to sleep in and who's to avoid. Seem's like he only sleeps in nice suburban areas. Does he also go into some inner city areas to sleep? It won't take long for the recruits to see through that. You indicated many on your board thought the processing of commits to be bullsh!t. Did any of you tell your AD how you felt, or did you just let it slide because it is Harbaugh's process.

Until recently. I have always had a good deal of respect for the University of Michigan. Unfortunately that has changed.

So, if it is Harbaugh's process, then so be it. He can do no wrong. Having sleepovers are apparently fine as well, since that is Harbaugh's process. Tell me, how does he decide who's house to sleep in and who's to avoid. Seem's like he only sleeps in nice suburban areas. Does he also go into some inner city areas to sleep? It won't take long for the recruits to see through that. You indicated many on your board thought the processing of commits to be bullsh!t. Did any of you tell your AD how you felt, or did you just let it slide because it is Harbaugh's process.

Until recently. I have always had a good deal of respect for the University of Michigan. Unfortunately that has changed.

Which part of 'many of us thought it was bullsh!t' did you not understand?

Sleeping at a recruits house is fine. Maybe strange, but really not that big of a deal. And it has been reported that Hackett did receive many letters of complaint.

Remember when Franklin raided Vandy's commits when he was hired at PSU? Everyone outside of PSU was outraged. Articles were written, people called Franklin a 'used car salesman', etc... Yet, he was defended tooth and nail on this board. Funny how fandom changes ones perspective on a situation, right?

Which part of 'many of us thought it was bullsh!t' did you not understand?

Sleeping at a recruits house is fine. Maybe strange, but really not that big of a deal. And it has been reported that Hackett did receive many letters of complaint.

Remember when Franklin raided Vandy's commits when he was hired at PSU? Everyone outside of PSU was outraged. Articles were written, people called Franklin a 'used car salesman', etc... Yet, he was defended tooth and nail on this board. Funny how fandom changes ones perspective on a situation, right?

I understand every word you wrote. It is some of the ideas that I have a problem with.

Why did Hackett receive many letters of complaint, if sleeping at a recruits house is fine and not a big deal? Who complains about something that is fine?

I said nothing about flipping recruits. Do you know who began that practice in the Big Ten. Prior to Urban Meyer being the coach at OSU, there had been a "gentleman's agreement" that no Big Ten school would go after a kid that was committed to another Big Ten school. Since Meyer started the practice it has become common in the conference. When did Franklin refuse to speak with a verbal commit. The answer is never.

You are the one who said "If this is Harbaugh's process then so be it". People still call Franklin a used car salesman. That doesn't bother me at all. I have bought used cars before and the process was fine. However, I have never heard him called "creepy".

I understand every word you wrote. It is some of the ideas that I have a problem with.

Why did Hackett receive many letters of complaint, if sleeping at a recruits house is fine and not a big deal? Who complains about something that is fine?

I said nothing about flipping recruits. Do you know who began that practice in the Big Ten. Prior to Urban Meyer being the coach at OSU, there had been a "gentleman's agreement" that no Big Ten school would go after a kid that was committed to another Big Ten school. Since Meyer started the practice it has become common in the conference. When did Franklin refuse to speak with a verbal commit. The answer is never.

You are the one who said "If this is Harbaugh's process then so be it". People still call Franklin a used car salesman. That doesn't bother me at all. I have bought used cars before and the process was fine. However, I have never heard him called "creepy".

You asked if Hackett received any complaints regarding the way Harbaugh processed recruits and my reply was to that, not sleep overs.

Pretty sure plenty of fans called Franklin creepy after he made his comments about hiring assistants with hot wives.

You guys can call it a circus all you want. I get that slamming UM makes you feel better. But, did you watch the event? It was pretty cool and well done. Ric Flair, along with all the other 'celebs' played a minor role by introducing each kid. Then, as their highlights were played on the big screen, Shannahan, Holtz and McShay discussed each kid. I have no doubt this would have been celebrated had Franklin done something similar.

I saw enough on the BTN to the point where I had to turn BTN off. Every 10-12 minutes we were getting our extended "wolverine commercial", and I'm not talking about the boots.

I saw enough on the BTN to the point where I had to turn BTN off. Every 10-12 minutes we were getting our extended "wolverine commercial", and I'm not talking about the boots.
I don't blame you. Had it been a PSU or OSU event I'd have no interest as well.

Where do you get your material?? So no Big Ten recruit ever flipped to another Big Ten school before Meyer came to OSU?!? I think your reference to a gentleman's agreement actually goes back to when Rich Rod poached a recruit from Purdue after arriving at Michigan. I'm sure the Michigan fans on this thread have conveniently forgotten all about those dark years, but Purdue's coach referred to Rodriguez as some "guy in a wizard hat selling snake oil..." You have to admit, that's a pretty awesome metaphor!! And not just when referring to Rodriguez...does it seem so far-fetched that Harbaugh may soon start showing up at recruits' houses in a full Harry Potter outfit?!?

Truthfully, I think the gentleman's agreement was all just BS to begin with, but I do still enjoy Tressel's response at the time to a question about whether there was such an agreement:

Reporter: “Is there a gentleman’s agreement between Big Ten coaches that once a player verbally commits to a school, the other coaches are supposedly hands off?”
Tressel: “I guess only between the gentlemen.”

No problem with him sleeping at a recruits house if the parents are cool with it or the signing of the stars event. Only thing I'm not fond of is the pulling of an offer, I think there should be better communication with the recruit earlier in the process if there is not going to be a spot for them. I think you'll see less early commits to UofM in the future and we'll probably see the lower rates guys wait to commit until there senior season.

You asked if Hackett received any complaints regarding the way Harbaugh processed recruits and my reply was to that, not sleep overs.

Pretty sure plenty of fans called Franklin creepy after he made his comments about hiring assistants with hot wives.

Maybe those with no sense of humor. If that is the the worst things he does or says I will have no complaints.

Your statement regarding complaints about Harbaugh followed a sentence about sleepovers. There was no mention of processing verbal commits in your response.

Come back and visit soon. Let us know when Harbaugh schedules his next sleepover. By the way, do any of your other coaches use sleepovers to entice recruits to come to Michigan?

No problem with him sleeping at a recruits house if the parents are cool with it or the signing of the stars event. Only thing I'm not fond of is the pulling of an offer, I think there should be better communication with the recruit earlier in the process if there is not going to be a spot for them. I think you'll see less early commits to UofM in the future and we'll probably see the lower rates guys wait to commit until there senior season.

Like the 5 you have already for 2017? I wonder how secure they feel. I have no problem with the signing event, particularly with the money raised for charity. We differ on the sleepovers. Is it only Harbaugh that does that or do all your coaches use sleepovers to entice recruits?

Like the 5 you have already for 2017? I wonder how secure they feel. I have no problem with the signing event, particularly with the money raised for charity. We differ on the sleepovers. Is it only Harbaugh that does that or do all your coaches use sleepovers to entice recruits?
Harbaugh has done it twice, it allows him additional time for in home visits and the 2 recruits loved it. Harbaugh actually babysat one of them (Murphy) when the recruit was younger and he was recruiting his older brother. Apparently the kids mom went into labor when Harbaugh was there so he watched the recruits younger brother when they went to the hospital. Actually a good story and a reason Harbaugh is very well liked by the Murphy's.
Just so I'm clear you're cool with Franklin having 5th year guys that have graduated to move on if they're not contributing?

In fact, it was Rich Rodriguez who was first Big Ten coach to be (publicly) accused of breaking the so-called Gentlemen's Agreement when Roy Roundtree decommitted from Purdue, to pledge to Michigan.

I doubt though, that Rodriguez was truly the first. I'm not that naive.

I'm fine with our current recruiting. I love the concept of a meritocracy, because pledging to a school several months in advance and then kicking back and not working to keep the spot is bad for the kid and bad for the school that would be saddled with him.

Sleepovers. Yeah, it's new twist on an old theme. Coaches camping out on the front lawn - Ty Willingham.

Coaches stalking recruits: Urban Meyer. Coaches writing a recruit 50 letters a day: Bradley.

Old theme: we want you to attend our school.

I totally understand fans here and of other programs loving Brady Hoke, or more specifically, Michigan losing.

I didn't see the love and respect while he was there, mind you, but it's amazing how much I am seeing now.

I really didn't like Brady's way of handling things, like not being fully aware his QB has been severely drilled, likely concussed, and should not go back in the game. I can't respect a kid being processed like that.

I can't respect the way he processed a kid like Thomas Rawls, who not see the field under the big affable fellow but is magically good enough to excel in the NFL. That is processing at its absolute worst.

Bungling might be a better word, but Rawls WAS caught up in a process only Hoke can understand so it's quite applicable.

I see the over-arching theme here though is the same as always: Penn State does it better.

Well, maybe they do. Franklin recruiting for PSU while still employed at Vandy demonstrates...initiative...but some other things as well.

Go Blue. Always.

Reactions: duffydier
Harbaugh has done it twice, it allows him additional time for in home visits and the 2 recruits loved it. Harbaugh actually babysat one of them (Murphy) when the recruit was younger and he was recruiting his older brother. Apparently the kids mom went into labor when Harbaugh was there so he watched the recruits younger brother when they went to the hospital. Actually a good story and a reason Harbaugh is very well liked by the Murphy's.
Just so I'm clear you're cool with Franklin having 5th year guys that have graduated to move on if they're not contributing?

When Penn State's coach starts having sleepovers at a recruits house, my contributions to the athletic department stop. If the coach needs that much time with the recruit he may consider taking a course in communication skills.

I am sure Nordin loved it. I have never criticized a player or recruit by name on line before and I hope I never do again, but I would not be at all surprised if he turns into a head case of a kicker. By the way is he going to get his scholarship now or have to greyshirt?

I have no problem with 5th year guys being told they need to move on. I have a huge problem with some southern schools telling players after years 1, 2 or 3 that they need to move on and exaggerating injuries to get rid of kids.

In fact, it was Rich Rodriguez who was first Big Ten coach to be (publicly) accused of breaking the so-called Gentlemen's Agreement when Roy Roundtree decommitted from Purdue, to pledge to Michigan.

I doubt though, that Rodriguez was truly the first. I'm not that naive.

I'm fine with our current recruiting. I love the concept of a meritocracy, because pledging to a school several months in advance and then kicking back and not working to keep the spot is bad for the kid and bad for the school that would be saddled with him.

Sleepovers. Yeah, it's new twist on an old theme. Coaches camping out on the front lawn - Ty Willingham.

Coaches stalking recruits: Urban Meyer. Coaches writing a recruit 50 letters a day: Bradley.

Old theme: we want you to attend our school.

I totally understand fans here and of other programs loving Brady Hoke, or more specifically, Michigan losing.

I didn't see the love and respect while he was there, mind you, but it's amazing how much I am seeing now.

I really didn't like Brady's way of handling things, like not being fully aware his QB has been severely drilled, likely concussed, and should not go back in the game. I can't respect a kid being processed like that.

I can't respect the way he processed a kid like Thomas Rawls, who not see the field under the big affable fellow but is magically good enough to excel in the NFL. That is processing at its absolute worst.

Bungling might be a better word, but Rawls WAS caught up in a process only Hoke can understand so it's quite applicable.

I see the over-arching theme here though is the same as always: Penn State does it better.

Well, maybe they do. Franklin recruiting for PSU while still employed at Vandy demonstrates...initiative...but some other things as well.

Go Blue. Always.

Do you really think Woody Hayes or Bo Schembechler would have put up with another coach poaching their recruits? It is amazing how younger people don't accept the concept of a gentleman's agreement.

Are you saying the Swenson kid from Downer's Grove became lazy after committing to Michigan and no longer deserved the offer? Is that what happened to the others who were processed, they became fat and lazy? Seriously? Try some other spin, I am not buying that.

Sleepovers or 50 letters. Same theme? Come on you know better.

How did Brady Hoke get involved in the discussion?

Franklin recruiting for Penn State while working for Vandy? I hadn't hear that before. He did take several recruits from Vandy, and I have mixed feeling about that. But I fully understand a player wanting to follow the coach that had recruited him. Also, with the ridiculous sanctions Penn State was operating under at the time, I find it difficult to criticize Franklin for bringing recruits with him.

I have never said Penn State does it better than Michigan. However, I do believe Penn State does it better than most. If Michigan allows Harbaugh to run wild, I will soon be saying Penn State does it better than Michigan. Harbaugh may win a lot and may win quickly. There also may be a huge price paid by the University of Michigan if they fail to keep Harbaugh under control.

Do you really think Woody Hayes or Bo Schembechler would have put up with another coach poaching their recruits? It is amazing how younger people don't accept the concept of a gentleman's agreement.

Are you saying the Swenson kid from Downer's Grove became lazy after committing to Michigan and no longer deserved the offer? Is that what happened to the others who were processed, they became fat and lazy? Seriously? Try some other spin, I am not buying that.

Franklin recruiting for Penn State while working for Vandy? I hadn't hear that before. He did take several recruits from Vandy, and I have mixed feeling about that. But I fully understand a player wanting to follow the coach that had recruited him. Also, with the ridiculous sanctions Penn State was operating under at the time, I find it difficult to criticize Franklin for bringing recruits with him.

I have never said Penn State does it better than Michigan. However, I do believe Penn State does it better than most. If Michigan allows Harbaugh to run wild, I will soon be saying Penn State does it better than Michigan. Harbaugh may win a lot and may win quickly. There also may be a huge price paid by the University of Michigan if they fail to keep Harbaugh under control.

You're not buying it. Not surprised. We're supposed to "buy" your assertion Nordin might turn into a headcase?

O-K...I'm seeing severe head cases here, so maybe that's where that bit of weird prognosticating is coming from.

Swenson had been warned to raise his game or risk losing his spot. He failed to do so, and lost his spot.

"Fat and lazy" those are your words...

He was warned months in advance of officially losing his spot, and knew the score in November.

He committed in November of 2013 - to Hoke - and probably felt he owed Harbaugh nothing.

It certainly isn't a stretch to imagine the kid getting complacent, or feeling entitled.

Not when looked at thru a real-world lens.

Go Blue. Always.

Because he was the coach up until 13 months ago and our rivals' fans apparently loved and respected him, while hating on all things Harbaugh.

Hoke's processes made me nervous, and the above examples given are way worse than what happened to any of Harbaugh's former pledges/recruits.

Every single kid is processed by every school in some manner. Every single one. I think it's better the recruiting *process* be used to head-off issues before a binding letter is signed and accepted.

Processing is everywhere, every day, in all kinds of ways as well. It's not simply an either-or matter of a student-athlete being cut loose or kept.

If Swenson had been allowed to stay, but gathered splinters in his rear by never seeing the field, that too would be part of a process. Only at that point, he'd be half-shackled and require a transfer if unhappy enough to want out.

He knew in November to begin looking at other schools. If the coaches are advising you to do that, the message should be clear enough. If it isn't, you hope the kid doesn't drive a car or work air traffic control some day.

Go Blue. Always.

You're not buying it. Not surprised. We're supposed to "buy" your assertion Nordin might turn into a headcase?

O-K...I'm seeing severe head cases here, so maybe that's where that bit of weird prognosticating is coming from.

Swenson had been warned to raise his game or risk losing his spot. He failed to do so, and lost his spot.

"Fat and lazy" those are your words...

He was warned months in advance of officially losing his spot, and knew the score in November.

He committed in November of 2013 - to Hoke - and probably felt he owed Harbaugh nothing.

It certainly isn't a stretch to imagine the kid getting complacent, or feeling entitled.

Not when looked at thru a real-world lens.

Go Blue. Always.

What about the others who were processed out? The fat and lazy was a question. So none of the players who were processed out improved their game and they were all recruited by Hoke. Is that correct. And also, It was not known that they had not improved their game until late January.

Why would Swenson think he owed Harbaugh nothing. He is the coach of his dream school. According to reports, he tried to reach Harbaugh but Harbaugh would not talk to him. I am sure you will say that is not true and I have no idea, just going by published reports. If he knew he was losing his spot, why would he not have been visiting other schools. Your argument makes little sense.

We are not talking about 1 kid here. How many were processed out in the month before NSD?

You are the one who should try real-world lenses.

Because he was the coach up until 13 months ago and our rivals' fans apparently loved and respected him, while hating on all things Harbaugh.

Hoke's processes made me nervous, and the above examples given are way worse than what happened to any of Harbaugh's former pledges/recruits.

Every single kid is processed by every school in some manner. Every single one. I think it's better the recruiting *process* be used to head-off issues before a binding letter is signed and accepted.

Processing is everywhere, every day, in all kinds of ways as well. It's not simply an either-or matter of a student-athlete being cut loose or kept.

If Swenson had been allowed to stay, but gathered splinters in his rear by never seeing the field, that too would be part of a process. Only at that point, he'd be half-shackled and require a transfer if unhappy enough to want out.

He knew in November to begin looking at other schools. If the coaches are advising you to do that, the message should be clear enough. If it isn't, you hope the kid doesn't drive a car or work air traffic control some day.

Go Blue. Always.

Funny how many kids are processed at other schools but it is only at Michigan where we hear of kids who had been committed for months are suddenly told they are no longer wanted.

What about the others who were processed out? The fat and lazy was a question. So none of the players who were processed out improved their game and they were all recruited by Hoke. Is that correct. And also, It was not known that they had not improved their game until late January.

Why would Swenson think he owed Harbaugh nothing. He is the coach of his dream school. According to reports, he tried to reach Harbaugh but Harbaugh would not talk to him. I am sure you will say that is not true and I have no idea, just going by published reports. If he knew he was losing his spot, why would he not have been visiting other schools. Your argument makes little sense.

We are not talking about 1 kid here. How many were processed out in the month before NSD?

You are the one who should try real-world lenses.

This IS the board that needed the concept of back-dated scholarships explained to them, so that the ignorant rants might continue, but at least not in complete darkness.

Take your published reports. Take one side of the story. Pretend there's only one side.

Oh, wait, you did that already.

Are you new to collegiate football? There are always issues when there are coaching changes.

Swanson didn't have to try to reach Harbaugh, he was told the score, in November.

What is hard to grasp about that?

Ultimately, it is Harbaugh's decision. I respect his right to make it and I respect WHEN he made it.

You can re-draw it all up as some kind of tragedy, but that's your choice.

Go Blue. Always.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT