ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan Caved

Michigan in its own words about the irreparable harm it suffers as a result of penalty (from its own complaint para 55)

" the reputational harm caused by the Conference’s conduct is
enormous and quintessentially irreparable.
The University itself, its student athletes, Coach
Harbaugh, and the athletics program, will suffer significant, lasting, and unjustified reputational
injury....
Any sanction would unjustifiably undermine this image (of "fairness and integrity"), reflecting poorly on the University" https://www.on3.com/news/read-jim-harbaugh-michigans-complaint-against-the-big-ten/

The big picture is that by accepting this interim punishment, Michigan by way of its own words, has functionally admitted substantial cheating.

Reactions: royboy and Obliviax
Michigan in its own words about the irreparable harm it suffers as a result of penalty (from its own complaint para 55)

" the reputational harm caused by the Conference’s conduct is
enormous and quintessentially irreparable.
The University itself, its student athletes, Coach
Harbaugh, and the athletics program, will suffer significant, lasting, and unjustified reputational
injury....
Any sanction would unjustifiably undermine this image (of "fairness and integrity"), reflecting poorly on the University" https://www.on3.com/news/read-jim-harbaugh-michigans-complaint-against-the-big-ten/

The big picture is that by accepting this interim punishment, Michigan by way of its own words, has functionally admitted substantial cheating.
They caved. Completely. They are trying to put lipstick on that pig now

Two accurate comments from Mgo Board:
November 16th, 2023 at 3:49 PM ^

If JH is innocent and its all a witchhunt and the University is 100% committed to JH, then how to they agree to the suspension?? Something isn't right here. I bet there is much more going on that they want to bury. It'll get leaked to Thamel and Michigan will get further embarrassed. SPINELESS!!!

TCW

I think I'm now more pissed at UM than at Ryan Day. Everyone who said Michigan is dirty and this whole thing was terrible can forever say they were right. We just told the world we agree." https://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/michigan-rolled-over-and-played-dead-jim-out-rest-season

Reactions: psu00 and heckmans
Two accurate comments from Mgo Board:

If JH is innocent and its all a witchhunt and the University is 100% committed to JH, then how to they agree to the suspension?? Something isn't right here. I bet there is much more going on that they want to bury. It'll get leaked to Thamel and Michigan will get further embarrassed. SPINELESS!!!

TCW

I think I'm now more pissed at UM than at Ryan Day. Everyone who said Michigan is dirty and this whole thing was terrible can forever say they were right. We just told the world we agree." https://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/michigan-rolled-over-and-played-dead-jim-out-rest-season

The delusion. The real sanctions are going to be a real kick in the nuts for them.

Reactions: LMTLION
The delusion. The real sanctions are going to be a real kick in the nuts for them.
I think there is a good chance of that. Two substantial violations in one year. Personally, it's hard for me to believe that Harbaugh didn't know and with a longer and more thorough investigation that will probably come out.

Are you honestly convinced the NCAA does something significant?

I think it’s better than 50/50, especially considering multiple issues and the schools lack of cooperation. Those two details tend to go along with harsher penalties.

Sanctions on a major program in the portal era will be fascinating.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I think there is a good chance of that. Two substantial violations in one year. Personally, it's hard for me to believe that Harbaugh didn't know and with a longer and more thorough investigation that will probably come out.
Normally I’d say the NCAA wouldn’t be very aggressive with this based on their History. But Harbaugh is such an odd and annoying person who rubs so people the wrong way I could see an effort being made just out of spite. It’s a powerful emotion. If it happens, Michigan takes the heat, because Jimmy will be long gone ala Carroll. I’m good with that.

They’re between a rock and a hard place. I think they realize if they don’t act they’re done.
I think they realize if they act they're done lol
The may be done regardless--it's going to be interesting for sure. And I hope you're right and I'm wrong with this one.

Pat McAfee gets it wrong. Says there has been a finding that Harbaugh didn't know. The investigation, so far, and not finished is that so far there is no evidence that Harbaugh not involved. I personally don't believe it is possible for him not to know of 2 years of effective and well planned spying. Simply easier to punish the institution now and sidestep the issue that is still being investigated. See about 1:30 of McAfee video.

Last edited:
Former Penn State Players state 4:22 that there was no way that Harbaugh didn't know what was going on.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Pat McAfee gets it wrong. Says there has been a finding that Harbaugh didn't know. The investigation, so far, and not finished is that so far there is no evidence that Harbaugh not involved. I personally don't believe it is possible for him not to know of 2 years of effective and well planned spying. Simply easier to punish the institution now and sidestep the issue that is still being investigated. See about 1:30 of McAfee video.
It's not actually possible to definitively prove he didn't know. The best they can do is say there's no proof he did.

That's fair--I just have zero faith in the NCAA doing anything. I think they're terrified to act.
I think there is one difference here vs past transgressions from other teams. For instance, in the UNC academic scandal, it was not directly related to on field performance and didn't specifically harm opponents. Recruiting violations are also removed from actual games. In those type of scenarios, other schools don't directly feel the harm. It's all tangential to the actual competition.
In this case however, every B2G school is pissed. UM sent people into their stadiums to steal signs and then used that info directly to cheat during games. That's personal, and every coach/AD innately feels that. That's why every AD got on the call with the commissioner and demanded action. I think that pressure is likely to remain, especially if scUM beats tOSU and goes to the CFP.

I just hope and pray they can all get over this tragic loss. The grief must be crippling.

• Haha
Reactions: psu00
The Big 10s meaningless "punishment " of MI in my opinion was done with the hope that the NCAA says, ok Michigan took care of it. Nothing more to do or see. Move along.
Doesn't matter because no matter what happens or how much MI wins they will always be seen as cheaters, just like the Houston Astros. Michigan and the Astros, perfect together.

I think it’s better than 50/50, especially considering multiple issues and the schools lack of cooperation. Those two details tend to go along with harsher penalties.

Sanctions on a major program in the portal era will be fascinating.
The narratives floating around the message boards doesn't really fit the evidence which screams the work of a rogue actor for only a small tangible benefit. This is likely a minor NCAA violation at best. For UM to give in this quickly given the facts are on their side indicates that they have an agreement with the NCAA to report a set of minor violations and the suspension will be used as retroactive punishment and Harbaugh sings a new contract during the offseason.

I think there is one difference here vs past transgressions from other teams. For instance, in the UNC academic scandal, it was not directly related to on field performance and didn't specifically harm opponents. Recruiting violations are also removed from actual games. In those type of scenarios, other schools don't directly feel the harm. It's all tangential to the actual competition.
In this case however, every B2G school is pissed. UM sent people into their stadiums to steal signs and then used that info directly to cheat during games. That's personal, and every coach/AD innately feels that. That's why every AD got on the call with the commissioner and demanded action. I think that pressure is likely to remain, especially if scUM beats tOSU and goes to the CFP.
You may be right. Hopefully you are. I have major doubts though. All of this makes sense and is logical. I just believe we killed their power and they won't do anything meaningful.

Is there a bigger idiot than McAfee - I can't watch that show for more than 2 minutes - ESPN has found a way to get even dumber which I thought wasn't possible.

They caved. Completely. They are trying to put lipstick on that pig now

Yeah, they may have negotiated a game or two off the penalty and/or kept him in practice, but they are clearly worse off than when they started and the investigation is ongoing with no agreement to no further punishment. They may have delayed something worse, but is it really fair to call that a win at this point?

Yeah, they may have negotiated a game or two off the penalty and/or kept him in practice, but they are clearly worse off than when they started and the investigation is ongoing with no agreement to no further punishment. They may have delayed something worse, but is it really fair to call that a win at this point?
Agreed. I think the UM strategy was to keep the B1G from suspending him for the B1G championship game and any bowl games. They feel that the NCAA won't be able to get out of their way until all of that is completed.

Now, opposite that, I can't believe the NCAA wants UM to have one or two bowl games (especially for a natty) with this hanging over their heads. So the I think the NCAA will either come to a conclusion on this either way (no further action or suspension from post-season). But that is just a guess.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
A good public relations campaign can turn anything into a win. Goebbles had the NAZI’s winning WW2 right up to the fall of Berlin. Who can ever forget the constant stream of Iraqi wins proclaimed by Baghdad Bob!

A good public relations campaign can turn anything into a win. Goebbles had the NAZI’s winning WW2 right up to the fall of Berlin. Who can ever forget the constant stream of Iraqi wins proclaimed by Baghdad Bob!

I miss Baghdad Bob. Instead we're stuck with people Goebbels would be envious of.

Reactions: Thomas1945
You may be right. Hopefully you are. I have major doubts though. All of this makes sense and is logical. I just believe we killed their power and they won't do anything meaningful.
I definitely have doubts too. I definitely don't think they want to do anything about it. But, if other schools remain pissed and vocal, it will be hard for the NCAA to ignore the schools who were harmed in favor of a school that cheated. IMO it's all about the pressure from member institutions.

Reactions: LandoComando
Agreed. I think the UM strategy was to keep the B1G from suspending him for the B1G championship game and any bowl games. They feel that the NCAA won't be able to get out of their way until all of that is completed.

Now, opposite that, I can't believe the NCAA wants UM to have one or two bowl games (especially for a natty) with this hanging over their heads. So the I think the NCAA will either come to a conclusion on this either way (no further action or suspension from post-season). But that is just a guess.
It would be the fastest the NCAA did an investigation. They are usually painfully slow

Reactions: psu00
ef5e4b4d024c66b42311e337ae8ab4cc.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT