ADVERTISEMENT

Miami U rent a stadium far from capacity today playing Texas A & M

Randy Shannon and Al Golden destroyed that program or at least created apathy around it. They're a shell of what they were and it's hard to get that back. Ask Texas.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Just turned on the Cincinnati vs sPitt game. The stadium is only about 35% full with a bunch being Cincy fans.

Reactions: psu00
Just turned on the Cincinnati vs sPitt game. The stadium is only about 35% full with a bunch being Cincy fans.
To be fair, Steelers games look like that for usually about the first quarter too. People busy tailgating. Though Pitt will be lucky if they're at half capacity for a game like Pitt when they play WVU next week. Cincinnati probably kills them.

To be fair, Steelers games look like that for usually about the first quarter too. People busy tailgating. Though Pitt will be lucky if they're at half capacity for a game like Pitt when they play WVU next week. Cincinnati probably kills them.
Isn't PITT playing @ WVU next week? If so, WVU will probably have a sell out.

Just sent a text to my buddy saying same thing. What happened to the U fans? Been 2/3 years like this. Not sure who draws less fans Pitt or the U.

Miami has never had a big fan following locally. Went to the ‘99 game and it was easily >60% PSU fans.

That’s always been a problem of theirs. The Dolphins own the football market there.

Reactions: mhlarch
An understatement. This is why many of the major powers have been able to pull bigtime HS players out of that area. Just not a college town - very weak support for the Canes
Just look at Miami’s tv ratings. Just pathetic.

Reactions: rrdd2021
The Miami board was ripping their own fans for not showing up when Texas A&M, (otherwise known as Texas 8 & 4 ;)), was in town.

The upper decks there were half empty and there were a ton of empty seats in the lower bowl too. I don’t know why they have such a hard time getting fans. It’s not like the Dolphins are that great monopolizing the attention.

Last edited:
Just sent a text to my buddy saying same thing. What happened to the U fans? Been 2/3 years like this. Not sure who draws less fans Pitt or the U.
Lived in the area 10 years. They have no fans. Typical attendance for all games except; FSU, PSU, ND and the like was about 30,000.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlbakernc
I was at the Pitt Cincy game. My wife and I were down there for the weekend, got cheap tickets, and went to have a laugh at Pitts expense.

Below is my estimate of what the attendance was. Our seats were on the 25, Cincy sideline, lower bowl, on the jumbotron side. Below is my estimate from what I could see.

I'd say lower bowl is 2/3 full, outside of the student section, which is full. Upper decks I'd say 1/3 or so full.

It was nowhere near capacity but especially lower bowl much more people in seats than empty ones. The majority of cincy fans were a couple sections away in one of the endzone corners from my view.

Reactions: IndyLion1
An understatement. This is why many of the major powers have been able to pull bigtime HS players out of that area. Just not a college town - very weak support for the Canes
That area is so odd. There are so many good players amd teams out of that area that you could probably field a Top 25 team just on those players alone.

I don't know if it's the constant nice weather and beaches or what. I doubt I'd go to a game if I could just roll to a beach.

That area is so odd. There are so many good players amd teams out of that area that you could probably field a Top 25 team just on those players alone.

I don't know if it's the constant nice weather and beaches or what. I doubt I'd go to a game if I could just roll to a beach.

The nice weather and lots of of other things to do for sure impacts the casual fan, as in one who likes the team but did not go there nor do they have family who went there. And Miami is not a huge university, its undergrad numbers are usually in the 12,000-14,000 range.

We just think its a "big school" due to their run of football sucsess in the 80s and 90s but they have the size roughly of West Chester University when it comes to headcount.

Isnt the beaach there every day though. Football games are like 6 or 7 Saturdays a year.
The sun could be a big deterrent. Florida sun is scorching and not healthy to sit in.

Isnt the beaach there every day though. Football games are like 6 or 7 Saturdays a year.
The sun could be a big deterrent. Florida sun is scorching and not healthy to sit in.
I've been in Ft Lauderdale in August. Any time you left the beach area, it was unbearable for me. And I mean the immediate beach. I was still walking through sand when it hit.

I'd imagine sitting in a stadium that blocks any breeze would be horrible.

I've been in Ft Lauderdale in August. Any time you left the beach area, it was unbearable for me. And I mean the immediate beach. I was still walking through sand when it hit.

I'd imagine sitting in a stadium that blocks any breeze would be horrible.
Same conditions in Gainesville and Tallahassee but they have real fans who show up.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Randy Shannon and Al Golden destroyed that program or at least created apathy around it. They're a shell of what they were and it's hard to get that back. Ask Texas.
Attendance has always been a problem even in the glory orange bowl days.

Reactions: psu00
Same conditions in Gainesville and Tallahassee but they have real fans who show up.
Comparing apples to oranges. You are talking large schools with 3 times the enrollment playing at on campus stadiums to a small school who home stadium is 21 miles a way and a 40 minute drive.

Do all the ACC schools have no fan support or is it just Miami and the pitters?

Do all the ACC schools have no fan support or is it just Miami and the pitters?

I remember in the 90s when UVA was 25Kish big. The Welsh years were kind to them. Big donor paid to refurbish the stadium into the 50Kish range. They were drawing near that into the Groh era, but I believe that it has since dropped down depending on quality of the team.

I was at the Pitt Cincy game. My wife and I were down there for the weekend, got cheap tickets, and went to have a laugh at Pitts expense.

Below is my estimate of what the attendance was. Our seats were on the 25, Cincy sideline, lower bowl, on the jumbotron side. Below is my estimate from what I could see.

I'd say lower bowl is 2/3 full, outside of the student section, which is full. Upper decks I'd say 1/3 or so full.

It was nowhere near capacity but especially lower bowl much more people in seats than empty ones. The majority of cincy fans were a couple sections away in one of the endzone corners from my view.
That sounds like Attendance was about 30,000 - 35,000.

How can that be? Pitt announced attendance as 49,500+? Oh....., I forgot......Pitt counts vendors, cleaning personnel, security officers, players from both teams, sports reporters, "phantoms", hundreds of esimated unseen fans wearing Star Trek "cloaking" devices, and the thousands of deceased Pitt player ghosts.

I remember in the 90s when UVA was 25Kish big. The Welsh years were kind to them. Big donor paid to refurbish the stadium into the 50Kish range. They were drawing near that into the Groh era, but I believe that it has since dropped down depending on quality of the team.
UVA football is just a distraction until hoops season. If we ever play them there we will have more than half the fans. Maybe the case in '01, not sure.

Reactions: lazydave841
Comparing apples to oranges. You are talking large schools with 3 times the enrollment playing at on campus stadiums to a small school who home stadium is 21 miles a way and a 40 minute drive.
Still a fact. MIAMI DOES NOT HAR A LOT OF FANS. 2+ Million people within 20 miles.
All Miami sports
How many large city schools fill their stadium? Not a lot.

Maybe stop hiring old, hack politicians, who don't know a football from an ostrich egg?

4d9132cfd4ee99bb1f6818f9e537f42c_400x400.jpeg

UVA football is just a distraction until hoops season. If we ever play them there we will have more than half the fans. Maybe the case in '01, not sure.

I was there in '01. Game was supposed to be a espn Thursday night game, but 9/11 happened and the game was pushed to November. We needed a win to be bowl eligible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT