ADVERTISEMENT

Miami, Notre Dame and ASU are now AAU schools, does the Big 10 kick the wheels?

And kick UNL out?
Nebraska isn't going anywhere. They will be the cornerstone of what amounts to the Big Eight division of the 40ish (or more) team future of the Big Ten when all is said and done. Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State makes for a pretty solid quadrant with Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Arizona, Arizona State, Stanford, Cal, USC and UCLA making up the Pac-10 division. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Ohio State, Michigan, Cincinati and Louisville making up the Great Lakes (traditional Big Ten) and Notre Dame, West Virginia, Michigan State, Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Syracuse and Boston College making up the Big East or some variation. Mock me all you want but the writing is on the wall. The Big Ten is looking to nip NIL in the bud, kill the arms race, consolidate the schools that care about academics (or can be coerced into caring), and isolate the SEC (who can't exist without other conferences to generate interest) .

Florida teams might not want in because of the colder weather up north.
FSU and Miami(Fl) play in a conference that has teams in Massachusetts, NY, Pennsylvania, Virginia, etc (and games against Notre Dame in Indiana) already. Why would they be scared? Also, Miami (FL) has basically played a lot of Northeast teams regularly over the years when they were in the Big East.

FSU and Miami(Fl) play in a conference that has teams in Massachusetts, NY, Pennsylvania, Virginia, etc (and games against Notre Dame in Indiana) already. Why would they be scared? Also, Miami (FL) has basically played a lot of Northeast teams regularly over the years when they were in the Big East.
True, it’s just an old wives tale. Miami and FSU have been coming North for years at all times of the season. By the way when’s the last time a BIG team went into the Deep South to play a game other than PSU. That’s a very, very rare occurrence.
Also late in the season teams are usually only playing conference games. If they schedule out of conference then they want a tomato can not a contest.
This year other than a bad West Virginia team we’re only playing chumps. Does it make a difference if they’re called UMASS, Delaware or The Citadel or North, West, Eastern Louisiana Normal?

Nebraska isn't going anywhere. They will be the cornerstone of what amounts to the Big Eight division of the 40ish (or more) team future of the Big Ten when all is said and done. Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State makes for a pretty solid quadrant with Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Arizona, Arizona State, Stanford, Cal, USC and UCLA making up the Pac-10 division. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Ohio State, Michigan, Cincinati and Louisville making up the Great Lakes (traditional Big Ten) and Notre Dame, West Virginia, Michigan State, Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Syracuse and Boston College making up the Big East or some variation. Mock me all you want but the writing is on the wall. The Big Ten is looking to nip NIL in the bud, kill the arms race, consolidate the schools that care about academics (or can be coerced into caring), and isolate the SEC (who can't exist without other conferences to generate interest) .
Sorry, that is nuts. I can see 24 but not 40+. If 40 was the intention with academics as the focus, then why not just do the original proposed scheduling alliance without diluting revenue. Syracuse, Or st , etc are big revenue losers. The B1G cares about revenue just as much as the SEC, if not more!

It's just matter of time before the Irish are part of the B1G. Most ND fans don't like it but it's all about survival now. The AAU stuff wasn't by accident. The markets that the B1G is tying up is staggering. I'll give the conference credit, they definitely know how to make money.

Probably will also see Oregon and Washington in the B1G in the very near future. Hell, kick Nebraska out (it won't happen) because all they do is complain about the B1G anyways

Reactions: Obliviax
Sorry, that is nuts. I can see 24 but not 40+. If 40 was the intention with academics as the focus, then why not just do the original proposed scheduling alliance without diluting revenue. Syracuse, Or st , etc are big revenue losers. The B1G cares about revenue just as much as the SEC, if not more!
It is not. That was the intent of the proposed scheduling alliance, however, NIL, the portal and Texas jumping ship to the SEC changed everything. The Big Ten does care about revenue, but they also care about limiting spending and maintaining tradition and the academic side of the house even more. The scenario that I outlined is very real based on what I understand. How big is anyone's guess and will likely be based on other moves but they are not going to stop at 20 teams and will likely go much much higher.

Think about it, if you have a 40 team league, you are your own division within college athletics. you own your own post-season, your own national championship game. Schools commit to certain rules regarding academics, NIL, transfers, coaching pay, etc. You just cut out the SEC altogether. You don't play them during the regular season or the post-season. You let them be the NFL's minor league while your teams play a couple of games a year against smaller G5 conferences.

You know, you're right. I had forgotten about PITT & BC. Syracuse is a dome, so not a concern for the U. I don't think they played ND annually.

It is not. That was the intent of the proposed scheduling alliance, however, NIL, the portal and Texas jumping ship to the SEC changed everything. The Big Ten does care about revenue, but they also care about limiting spending and maintaining tradition and the academic side of the house even more. The scenario that I outlined is very real based on what I understand. How big is anyone's guess and will likely be based on other moves but they are not going to stop at 20 teams and will likely go much much higher.

Think about it, if you have a 40 team league, you are your own division within college athletics. you own your own post-season, your own national championship game. Schools commit to certain rules regarding academics, NIL, transfers, coaching pay, etc. You just cut out the SEC altogether. You don't play them during the regular season or the post-season. You let them be the NFL's minor league while your teams play a couple of games a year against smaller G5 conferences.
How can you have a national championship game if you cut the SEC out? If the SEC is out then not many people will consider the championship game to be "national."

How can you have a national championship game if you cut the SEC out? If the SEC is out then not many people will consider the championship game to be "national."
Those that care about academics certainly would. Most of us already consider any SEC championship to be tainted. It is known as the cheaters league of southern junior colleges for a reason afterall. Most SEC football players wouldn't quality at Penn State where we use higher standards. Same for a few other programs in the Big Ten.

You are living 40 years ago. In 2023 this conference is all about football revenue. There is no evidence stating otherwise. It is to the point that we are purposely poaching from another conference that we know will collapse as a result. The additions of USC and UCLA had nothing to do with academics and everything to do with revenue. Things like AAU are a facade. This conference may even add Stanford to fortify this facade, but in the end it is an arms race vs the SEC.

Reactions: dmaw
You are living 40 years ago. In 2023 this conference is all about football revenue. There is no evidence stating otherwise. It is to the point that we are purposely poaching from another conference that we know will collapse as a result. The additions of USC and UCLA had nothing to do with academics and everything to do with revenue. Things like AAU are a facade. This conference may even add Stanford to fortify this facade, but in the end it is an arms race vs the SEC.
I am not living 40 years ago. I am living 10 years in the future. It is all about revenue - expenses plus maintaining some semblance of tradition. The end game is to remove the SEC from the equation. The least kept secret in college football is that nobody outside of the southeast cares about SEC football. It is also the poorest region of the country. Isolate it as an NFL minor league and you have the college football market, driven by well to do alums, under your thumb. Think about the long game, not the short one.

I wonder how they determine who they want. I mean, people say "market," but if BC, Alabama and Auburn were all available and you could take two, you'd take Alabama and Auburn even though they share a market about the same size of BC. Or maybe another way of putting it is, the market is whoever will watch them regardless of where they're located.

Reactions: pittpsu
I wonder how they determine who they want. I mean, people say "market," but if BC, Alabama and Auburn were all available and you could take two, you'd take Alabama and Auburn even though they share a market about the same size of BC. Or maybe another way of putting it is, the market is whoever will watch them regardless of where they're located.
There are a boat load of factors that go into deciding who they want and money isn't necessarily the top one. First and foremost, the university must fit a certain academic profile. They must be a tier one research institution. This one is non-negotiable. They must fill a research role as well. Historically, athletic dollars do not compare to research dollars though they are getting closer. Neither Bama nor Auburn would be invited into the Big Ten nor would most SEC schools. Florida, A&M, Mizzou, soon to be member Texas and Vanderbilt.

While there is no hard requirement for AAU membership, it is an easy discriminator. Every AAU school is a tier one research university. There are a few others out there that are not member, Nebraska being one, but not many, even fewer with the athletics to merit inclusion. Virginia Tech, NC State, Washington State. In it's current form, which could change if the Big Ten goes really really big, the number of teams that would gain admittance is very small. There are some other soft rules such as number of sports, alumni factors, endowments etc.

There are a boat load of factors that go into deciding who they want and money isn't necessarily the top one. First and foremost, the university must fit a certain academic profile. They must be a tier one research institution. This one is non-negotiable. They must fill a research role as well. Historically, athletic dollars do not compare to research dollars though they are getting closer. Neither Bama nor Auburn would be invited into the Big Ten nor would most SEC schools. Florida, A&M, Mizzou, soon to be member Texas and Vanderbilt.

While there is no hard requirement for AAU membership, it is an easy discriminator. Every AAU school is a tier one research university. There are a few others out there that are not member, Nebraska being one, but not many, even fewer with the athletics to merit inclusion. Virginia Tech, NC State, Washington State. In it's current form, which could change if the Big Ten goes really really big, the number of teams that would gain admittance is very small. There are some other soft rules such as number of sports, alumni factors, endowments etc.
The bullshit is getting deep around here.

The BIG10 will add ND, Miami, UNC, Duke, Oregon, Stanford, Cal, and Washington in next five years to make it a 24 team conference and I hope it pisses off OSU and UM. I could be wrong though.

The BIG10 will add ND, Miami, UNC, Duke, Oregon, Stanford, Cal, and Washington in next five years to make it a 24 team conference and I hope it pisses off OSU and UM. I could be wrong though.
The ACC additions will not occur this decade due to their GOR. It cannot be broken. Oregon and Washington likely will happen soon. As long as the ACC stands, ND will stay independent.

Of the 8 teams that you mentioned, there is a good chance that at least 7 won't be added to the Big 10 over the next 5 years.

I hope most of that bears out. Not a big fan of adding a couple of those PAC-10 opponents but I get it, may be necessary now that USC and UCLA see their travel budgets taking shape.

IF the Big 10 goes really big, I'd see your additions plus Ariz St, Utah, FSU, UVA, TCU, Oklahoma St, Kansas, and Georgia Tech or Colorado.

It would look like this with Georgia Tech:

Big West - USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Arizona St, Utah
Big East - PSU, Miami, FSU, UNC, Duke, UVA, Maryland, Rutgers
Big Midwest- Notre Dame, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, TCU, Oklahoma St, Kansas
Big Central- Ohio St, Mich, Mich St, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Georgia Tech

It would look like this with Colorado:

Big Midwest- Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, TCU, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Colorado
Big Central- Ohio St, Mich, Notre Dame, Mich St, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern

I hope most of that bears out. Not a big fan of adding a couple of those PAC-10 opponents but I get it, may be necessary now that USC and UCLA see their travel budgets taking shape.

IF the Big 10 goes really big, I'd see your additions plus Ariz St, Utah, FSU, UVA, TCU, Oklahoma St, Kansas, and Georgia Tech or Colorado.

It would look like this with Georgia Tech:

Big Midwest- Notre Dame, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, TCU, Oklahoma St, Kansas
Big Central- Ohio St, Mich, Mich St, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Georgia Tech

It would look like this with Colorado:

Big Midwest- Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, TCU, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Colorado
Big Central- Ohio St, Mich, Notre Dame, Mich St, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern

With all of those additional schools, we could have the same payout per team as what the PAC 12 conference currently receive, rather than what we get from the Big 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00
With all of those additional schools, we could have the same payout per team as what the PAC 10 conference currently receive, rather than what we get from the Big 10.
I didn't say that the payouts had to be divided equally and I don't really think this happens anyway unless it is way in the future when only the Big 10 and SEC exist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT