ADVERTISEMENT

ACC fracturing?

I've been predicting this. You are going to have two conferences: SEC and B1G.

then, they'll join forces to overthrow the NCAA. They won't need them anymore. They'll organize the players and negotiate a collective bargaining agreement that will govern college sports; at least the money-making ones.

Reactions: bison13

then, they'll join forces to overthrow the NCAA. They won't need them anymore. They'll organize the players and negotiate a collective bargaining agreement that will govern college sports; at least the money-making ones.
So is this portion of the ACC looking to join the SEC? I'm guessing that might think that they are more aligned with the SEC but B1G money could sway them if it were a bidding war.

So is this portion of the ACC looking to join the SEC? I'm guessing that might think that they are more aligned with the SEC but B1G money could sway them if it were a bidding war.
I don't know. From the article, they are just seeking an exit strategy but didn't outline what they'd do from there. But common sense would seem to dictate one of the two leading conferences. If not, they are probably just jumping from the frying pan into the fire. And if you read it, it is the ACC's football powers. Interesting ND was not one of them. Sure would be fun to go to the carolinas for PSU football in the fall.

I don't know. From the article, they are just seeking an exit strategy but didn't outline what they'd do from there. But common sense would seem to dictate one of the two leading conferences. If not, they are probably just jumping from the frying pan into the fire. And if you read it, it is the ACC's football powers. Interesting ND was not one of them. Sure would be fun to go to the carolinas for PSU football in the fall.
I'm with you on that and I think the Big 10 would be wise to make them an offer. These are the schools that would control the TV sets of a number of high growth southeastern states and be able to compete in others like Florida with the SEC.

Reactions: 84Lion
I'm with you on that and I think the Big 10 would be wise to make them an offer. These are the schools that would control the TV sets of a number of high growth southeastern states and be able to compete in others like Florida with the SEC.
of course, the glaring omission from that article is Pitt. Interesting that they weren't included.

of course, the glaring omission from that article is Pitt. Interesting that they weren't included.
Pitt will undoubtedly be a giant loser in this. Mediocre football team most years. No reason to bring them into the BIG. Would the SEC even want them? Almost seems they'll be relegated to the MAC.

The BIG should go after FSU, Miami, Clemson and UNC. Not sure they all come, but you have to try. Spread their footprint into the South, especially Florida. SEC already got into Texas and OK.

Pitt will undoubtedly be a giant loser in this. Mediocre football team most years. No reason to bring them into the BIG. Would the SEC even want them? Almost seems they'll be relegated to the MAC.

The BIG should go after FSU, Miami, Clemson and UNC. Not sure they all come, but you have to try. Spread their footprint into the South, especially Florida. SEC already got into Texas and OK.
Agree but add NC St for sure. NC St carries a very significant part of NC and especially the growing cities of Raleigh and Charlotte. I'd even have NC St above UNC in terms of $$$ and TV contracts. Maybe UNC is a better brand and better school but the people of a rapidly growing NC are pretty heavily NC St fans in my experience.

Pitt = dumpster fire. Seriously, they have nothing to offer outside of the Pittsburgh market which really doesn't throw a lot of support behind the school. Gonna be interesting to see what happens to the schools that don't get into the B1G or SEC in the next 3 to 4 years.

Yupp--it's going to be great when the NCAA dies.

Reactions: sdwcpa
There was also talk of Clemson, Miami and FSU wanting to start a 3rd major conference but they need to leave the ACC to do that--maybe those 7 schools would be the eastern block and they can add 7 schools from the west Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, Oklahoma State, etc.

PiT needs to drop down where they belong.
They're where they belong. The ACC is right for them--it's just a handful of schools shouldn't in in the ACC that are--they'll be in the Big Ten or SEC soon enough. Virgina, UNC and Miami to the Big Ten with ND and the other 4 to the SEC would be perfect. Then the ACC pick up a few from the Big XII and we take what we want of the Pac XII. Goodbye NCAA.

Yep, Pitt will go from trips to Miami, FL to trips to Miami, OH.......

:oops: :oops: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I think 3 conferences in the end. The BIG 12 is very aggressive right now looking to get into California and reportedly very interested in the 4 corners schools. I think they eventually absorb parts of the pac12 and acc when those conferences collapse. They are reportedly even interested in UConn for their bball portfolio per SI today. This will all be interesting. We are in a good spot. Imagine being a school like Syracuse, Washington State, or Pitt. Yikes.

Don't know the academic standings of these schools, but in the past I'm pretty sure that one of the requirements for entry into the B1G was that the school had to be an AAU member. I believe the only conference school that isn't an AAU member is Nebraska as they lost their standing after admission into the conference.

Reactions: Ian
I think 3 conferences in the end. The BIG 12 is very aggressive right now looking to get into California and reportedly very interested in the 4 corners schools. I think they eventually absorb parts of the pac12 and acc when those conferences collapse. They are reportedly even interested in UConn for their bball portfolio per SI today. This will all be interesting. We are in a good spot. Imagine being a school like Syracuse, Washington State, or Pitt. Yikes.
How does that Big XII with Colorado/Utah/Arizona/Arizona St compete with the other 2 conferences. It would almost have to be Clemson, Miami, Florida State, Ok State, TCU, Stanford, Oregon and Washington plus maybe ND to be relevant. Pitt and Wake are as good as schools like Kansas.

How does that Big XII with Colorado/Utah/Arizona/Arizona St compete with the other 2 conferences. It would almost have to be Clemson, Miami, Florida State, Ok State, TCU, Stanford, Oregon and Washington plus maybe ND to be relevant. Pitt and Wake are as good as schools like Kansas.
It may not win a football natty and definitely the weakest superconference, but it would still be relevant. Heck, TCU just beat the big 10 choke job conference chumps! It would definitely be the strongest bball conference. It would sit in the entirety of the high growth sunbelt with tentacles that go north as well. It has a tv deal. It stays relevant.

I think some are looking to join either the Big Ten or SEC (Clemson, Florida State Miami, North Carolina) while the rest are either hoping they receive a Hail Mary invitation or the conference will break quick enough to beat the Pac-12 schools to the market for one of their available spots.

I think Pitt should be placing calls to the Big 12 ASAP at this point, which is likely our best play.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Agree but add NC St for sure. NC St carries a very significant part of NC and especially the growing cities of Raleigh and Charlotte. I'd even have NC St above UNC in terms of $$$ and TV contracts. Maybe UNC is a better brand and better school but the people of a rapidly growing NC are pretty heavily NC St fans in my experience.
Academic standing seems to be a big part of the BIG brand. Do they drop that charade for a better TV market?

It will be interesting to see if the ACC schools can break their contract without paying through the nose. Is this a threat to try and renegotiate their deal to get more money and keep the ACC intact? I read on here that they signed for way less than the SEC and BIG.

Ummm. This is not the case. NC State is relegated to 3rd, possibly even 4th, in the state.
UNC
Duke
Wake/NC State

Reactions: PSU2UNC
There is zero chance NC St is above UNC in terms of $$$ and TV contracts.

I no longer live in NC, so perhaps NCSU fandom is growing (e.g. maybe you see more fan gear out in public) but UNC *dominates" the fanbase of the state and is a national brand in a way that NCSU is not.

Reactions: republion
In a world where the ACC dies and UNC goes to the Big Ten, NC State would be the best option for the SEC. (Not before Clemson and FSU and so on...but more SEC-like than Duke or Wake).

The interesting thing about "the magnificent 7"--UVA, VT, UNC, FSU, Clemson, NCSt, and MIami--is that they'd all go different places. All 7 wouldn't head to the SEC, I wouldn't think.

I do think that solidarity would serve them well--and 50% of the ACC could be enough to break the GOR without drastic penalties (in the end).

The four the Big Ten would take?
  1. UNC
  2. UVA
  3. Georgia Tech (I know, they aren't in the Magnificent 7, but for the Big Ten's academic and regional purposes...I think they grab the Atlanta school)
  4. FSU (only non-AAU school...but for the Florida market...they'd break the rule)

And that would leave 4...VaTech, NCSt, Miami and Clemson...looking for homes. From what I've heard from SEC pundits, Miami is the only one the SEC would sneer at.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
There was also talk of Clemson, Miami and FSU wanting to start a 3rd major conference but they need to leave the ACC to do that--maybe those 7 schools would be the eastern block and they can add 7 schools from the west Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, Oklahoma State, etc.
Oregon and Washington will be admitted into the B1G in the next few months.

Reactions: NedFromYork
If the Pac-12 can't get decent money with their deal, I think UO and UW will take whatever scrap deal the Big Ten offers (and then UA and ASU and Utah and Colorado will take Big 12 money). So...yes, a few months is very feasible.

Why would the BIG or SEC want a team like the pitters? No fan base. Horrible recruiting. No stadium. No campus. No TV revenue. Arrogant humorless a$$hole coach. Decent record only because they play a cupcake schedule.

The pitters will end up in the MAC if the MAC will take them.

Why would the BIG or SEC want a team like the pitters? No fan base. Horrible recruiting. No stadium. No campus. No TV revenue. Arrogant humorless a$$hole coach. Decent record only because they play a cupcake schedule.

I hate Pitt too but I would want them to be in the B1G so we would have an actual natural rival. The closest thing we have to a real rival is Ohio State, but obviously they rightly consider Michigan their most bitter rival. It’s impossible for Pitt to be accepted into this conference because they do not add revenue. I do think they have a future in the big 12. That creates a natural rivalry with WVU. In fact, I think the big 12 eventually adds Syracuse and Boston College as well.

Pretending there's not a gap between Pitt and MAC schools is illogical. Pitt BC Syracuse Wake Duke Louisville could easily form some kind of 2nd tier league with the remaining Big XII and Pax XII

Pretending there's not a gap between Pitt and MAC schools is illogical. Pitt BC Syracuse Wake Duke Louisville could easily form some kind of 2nd tier league with the remaining Big XII and Pax XII
Don’t worry, he knows that. It’s just an act.

The new lack of academic freedom of Florida and Florida State may make them unpalatable to the Big 10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT