ADVERTISEMENT

Miami and Al Golden ....

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
I guess if he does not win a bunch of games this year he is out. I know many on this board love or hate Golden. I think, he tries to do the right thing. Not sure if he can really coach. But, given their schedule this year he should win most, maybe all. The schedule is REALLY pretty light with a few good teams. Only one "big" game at FSU.
Assuming he wins at least 8-9 games he should be back for next year. Plus he is bringing in a really good class. No, I am not a big fan. I do like him and of course he is PSU :)

Reactions: fairgambit
We cannot discount what he accomplished at Temple. But, I think it is fair to praise Temple's commitment to establishing a brand that was competitive and built the right way. Temple wanted to gain recognition as a tough football team. He has to have good support to do that.

At Miami, Al has been in a situation that is somewhat reversed. His superiors, while understanding its importance, wanted to shed itself of a football-driven out of control program. Al brought a level of integrity they needed. I don't know if everyone is pulling in the same direction or shares the same philosophy at Miami. It is tough in that environment.

Al's a good coach. He preaches work ethic and accountability. Reminds me of someone else who wore a tie on gameday.

I guess if he does not win a bunch of games this year he is out. I know many on this board love or hate Golden. I think, he tries to do the right thing. Not sure if he can really coach. But, given their schedule this year he should win most, maybe all. The schedule is REALLY pretty light with a few good teams. Only one "big" game at FSU.
Assuming he wins at least 8-9 games he should be back for next year. Plus he is bringing in a really good class. No, I am not a big fan. I do like him and of course he is PSU :)

Shalala just moved on to become CEO of the Clinton Foundation but before she did she extended Al's contract through Feb 2020. If Frenk decides to cut him loose before then it's going to cost the U some money.

Last edited:
It seems to me that defense has been Miami's Achilles heel the past few years and that would fall on D'Onfrio.

Yeah he has recruited well and put a lot of talent in the NFL, but the results win the win/loss column haven't been there. I don't think he has surrounded himself with a staff capable of being elite and if will ultimately cost him his job.

I think it would cost too much for Miami to buy him out. Golden was close to getting the PSU job.

Living here in Miami, I can tell u that UM has zero appreciation for who Al is. We know as Penn Staters, the integrity, grit and determination he brought to Temple and learned under Joe. All Canes' fans do is bitch and moan about lost swagger and winning the Miami way. I really hope Al wins in spite of these idiotic Canes fans. Should he fall short, I hope he lands on his feet somewhere as a coach. He inherited a dumpster fire at Miami and cooled the flames. Always loved Al.

Let's not forget, Coach Franklin did beat a 7-5 Boston College team. You know, Coach Franklin was THE reason their kicker missed the extra point.

Let's see if Coach Franklin can win the "right" way, too. And, he has the comforts of a weak BIG 10.

Let's not forget, Coach Franklin did beat a 7-5 Boston College team. You know, Coach Franklin was THE reason their kicker missed the extra point.

Let's see if Coach Franklin can win the "right" way, too. And, he has the comforts of a weak BIG 10.
Mike, are such a phony. According to the link you put up PSU has a 91% graduation rate, Miami has 94%. How is PSU not winning the right way? How is this Miami kicked PSU in the balls?

You talk about reason and rationality, but your posts always come with an agenda. Every single one. Do you think we're idiots that we can't see this?

I refuse to subject myself to your crappy attempts at manipulation any longer and so I'm putting you on ignore. Have a good life.

Last edited:
His hiring would have led to a huge public relation problem for PSU. Consequently, he was never seriously considered.
I can say that I'm very, very happy that we did not hire Al Golden, and I'd believe that he wasn't in serious consideration for the PSU job.

As for his future at Miami, I don't think that he lasts past the next year or two barring a major improvement. He just hasn't gotten it done on the field in a very winnable division, even when he's had the better talent on the field more often than not. While its commendable that he's maintained the academic performance that Randy Shannon established, I don't think that will be enough without similar success on the field.

Mike, are such a phony. According to the link you put up PSU has a 91% graduation rate, Miami has 94%. How is PSU not winning the right way? How is this Miami kicked PSU in the balls?

You talk about reason and rationality, but your posts always come with an agenda. Every single one. Do you think we're idiots that we can't see this?

I refuse to subject myself to your crappy attempts at manipulation any longer and so I'm putting you on ignore. Have a good life.

I've been on a Felli-free diet of Penn State news and comment for a couple of weeks now. Highly recommend it.

Reactions: Bygsky
This week, we've had Bushwood and Felli each hit the board heavy, and go off the rails. The only other resident reject we need is pnnylion, whose numerous nicknames have been noticeably absent for a couple of weeks.

I hope he posts though--if he does, it'd be the BWI trifecta.

Reactions: Bygsky

Yeah he used to have an at least somewhat entertaining shtick going with the Mack Daddy thing (though it started to get old), but now he just flat out comes off as an idiot.

This week, we've had Bushwood and Felli each hit the board heavy, and go off the rails. The only other resident reject we need is pnnylion, whose numerous nicknames have been noticeably absent for a couple of weeks.

I hope he posts though--if he does, it'd be the BWI trifecta.

Awe, how cute, the corrupt scumbag BOT' s toothless attack-dog and knob-polisher, putz-guy04, hi-jacks another thread and takes it off-topic in a weak attempt to attack me. The richest part is that he makes the post in response to a post complaining about useless, contentless agenda-based posts and posters....talk about irony, LMFAO.

Last edited:
His hiring would have led to a huge public relation problem for PSU. Consequently, he was never seriously considered.

Similar to Franklins team scandal at Vanderbilt or worse? I dont think Goldens alleged problem was ever made public.

Last edited:
Similar to Franklins team scandal at Vanderbilt or worse? I dont think Goldens alleged problem was ever made public.

I think it was more that he was one of Paterno's players. Let's be real--this team just wasn't going to go in that direction--even without the scandal. Even Curley was heading away from Penn Staters in his hires over his last 5-6 years. Very, very few with a PSU connection were hired as other sports came open during that time. You can look it up.

On the extreme periphery. Let's just say it's something that ended up being someone else's public embarrassment but very well might have ended up being his. The fact that it could have was reason enough to go in other directions.

On the extreme periphery. Let's just say it's something that ended up being someone else's public embarrassment but very well might have ended up being his. The fact that it could have was reason enough to go in other directions.
Pray tell, CR - could it have been a situation that would have made a job offer here similarly difficult for another former coach of a different eastern school who wanted the PSU job?

What was thealleged problem that Golden was involved in? Can anybody reveal?

It seems it was so long ago that if he were hired someday, it probably wouldn't be a big issue

It's a dog-eat-dog world down there in Miami, and Al's wearing Milk-Bone underwear.

He does have a skeleton rattling around which would be embarrassing to PSU. It is not new, but there really is not a statute of limitations on embarrassment and bad ink.

Independent of that, I'm still very glad he's down there and not here because I think he's a very below-average coach.

Anybody know or can.hint at what Goldens skeleton is related to psu?

Anybody know or can.hint at what Goldens skeleton is related to psu?
My information comes from my only State College source, which I'm sure you understand, I'm not about to burn down. Suffice to say that if it reached the ears of a nobody from Pittsburgh, then others, perhaps in a hiring position, were aware as well.

I apologize for being intentionally cryptic.

I understand...I mean is this an issue with Golden that would destroy any goodwill that we're trying to get back? Would it be anywhere near the crap storm we are going through?

His overall reputation is outstanding and is considered a tireless worker. Hope the one blemish wouldn't block him forever

Living here in Miami, I can tell u that UM has zero appreciation for who Al is. We know as Penn Staters, the integrity, grit and determination he brought to Temple and learned under Joe. All Canes' fans do is bitch and moan about lost swagger and winning the Miami way. I really hope Al wins in spite of these idiotic Canes fans. Should he fall short, I hope he lands on his feet somewhere as a coach. He inherited a dumpster fire at Miami and cooled the flames. Always loved Al.

He's just a bad coach. He has never beaten a good team as a HC.

9-36 against teams with 5 losses or fewer, and that includes D2 teams. Never beat a MAC team with a winning record at Temple. He had advantages over the rest of the conference and still never won a meaningful game.

The coach he replaced at Temple had a better record against bowl teams than Golden.

As far as integrity, he's being blasted nationally for what he's doing in recruiting. He knows this year will be a major failure so he's taking commits left and right hoping highly ranked future classes (2017, 2018) will save his job. He had 20 plus 2016 commits by March and was quick to point out he had the #1 class. It was based on volume not quality.

Cal HC Sonny Dykes has taken shots at him. Rivals Mike Farrell(sp?) wrote an article about it.

D'onofrio is the problem and it's widely accepted.

http://blog.triblive.com/penn-state...a-reporter-whos-known-him-best/#axzz3e7bXBcgI

One of the few times I can agree that CR 66 is correct

Even if he is right this time, it does not diminish the fact that he is a revolting dismal failure of a human being.

Reactions: simons96
Just be glad that Al Golden is not Penn State's Head Coach. After what the Penn State Community has been thru with Sandusky, Joe's death, and the NCAA & BOT piling on there is no way that I could deal with a bad Head Coach on top of it. It would be Penn State's version of "nuclear winter", 10 years or more of losing seasons. I dont even want to think about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Just be glad that Al Golden is not Penn State's Head Coach. After what the Penn State Community has been thru with Sandusky, Joe's death, and the NCAA & BOT piling on there is no way that I could deal with a bad Head Coach on top of it. It would be Penn State's version of "nuclear winter", 10 years or more of losing seasons. I dont even want to think about it.

Hate to tell you BUT he was not hired BECAUSE he "is" PSU and had direct connection to Joe. Which is poison to the BOT and would have been a PR nightmare. There was NO chance he would have been hired. His consideration was to placate the "JoeBots" :)
As for me, I wish him well because he is PSU. Can he coach? Well, I guess that will be determined this year.
Heck, I don't know if Franklin can coach? He can recruit as can Golden. I hope both do well !!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT