ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s dress shoes

I believe Allen Edmonds will rebuild shoes for you
Yes, and the recrafting is well worth the price. I had a couple of pair of AE cap toes that were starting to show some significant wear. The leather soles needed to be replaced and I had worn through some of the interior lining leather in the heel area. Also I had some scuffs that no amount of shoe shining would remove.

I don't know what they did at the factory, but when I got the shoes back I thought for a minute they sent back new pairs.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/discover/our-story/recrafting.html

Web_CAPH-top_angle_800x.png
Wolf and Shepard. Can play basketball in these things and not miss a beat.

https://wolfandshepherd.com/

It’s probably personal preference, but I’ve worn Bass Weejuns for years and they’re the most comfortable shoes I’ve had. I’ll take them to a local shoe store and have beefed up rubber soles put on for a few extra $ and it adds a few extra years on them. I have super wide feet and the Italian style typically aren’t an option for me.

Yes, and the recrafting is well worth the price. I had a couple of pair of AE cap toes that were starting to show some significant wear. The leather soles needed to be replaced and I had worn through some of the interior lining leather in the heel area. Also I had some scuffs that no amount of shoe shining would remove.

I don't know what they did at the factory, but when I got the shoes back I thought for a minute they sent back new pairs.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/discover/our-story/recrafting.html
My dad wears a suit to work every day(40 yrs) and has about 15 pairs of A-E.I also have them but go business casual with khakis,dry cleaned pressed shirt,navy blazer.If you don't mind spam they will email $100.00 off every 2 weeks.And he puts those cedar tree things in his shoes.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
Personally I am a barefoot and flip flops kind of guy. I pretty much hate shoes. Even in cold weather. I can't tell you how many I've been asked if my feet are cold. Even at work I tend to kick off my shoes while at my desk.

I’ve bought Allen Edmonds for many years but purchased my first pair of Ace Marks on Black Friday. They are high-quality handcrafted Italian leather shoes that cuts out the middleman. Paid $250. They come direct from a factory in Italy. They are easily worth $700 to $900+

Cole Haan is owned by Nike. Therefore, they have a lot of insight into sole design. IMO, more expensive shoes might have a longer break in period. However, if there is a high grade softer leather used in the shoe, the downside of that is it will wear out more quickly. 2-3 pairs will increase the lifetime of the shoes, because it allows the perspiration to dry out of the shoe. It also allows for more stylish diversity. Wear what you like, and what makes you feel good. I don't hesitate to buy online to get a sale, if I am familiar with the brand. Zappos has free return shipping. ---Katchelda Marcos.

nike hasn’t owned Cole Haan since 2012

My Dad bought me my first pair of Johnson & Murphy dress shoes back when I was in college. They lasted decades because he taught me 1) always put cedar shoe trees in them every night and 2) never wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. Very very comfortable shoes. (When my Dad passed in 2014, I acquired two additional pair of J & M shoes from his closet that were still in excellent condition even though they were 30+ years old, still looked brand new. Coincidentally we both wore 13Ds.)

Fortunately, for the last 20+ years, l’ve only had to wear dress shoes to church, so the J & Ms are still plugging along.

FYI - Just north of Milwaukee (Port Washington, WI) there’s a huge Allen Edmonds outlet store. They advertise this location on the internet, frequent sales & re-conditioning services. Anyone going up to Kohler/Whistling Straits, it’s about 30 seconds off the highway and worth a stop.

I have been an Allen Edmonds brand ambassador for over 20 years. Their recrafting service is unbelievable. Allen Edmonds adds cork between the outer and inner sole. This cork ultimately forms to your foot (like Birkenstock’s). These shoes are pricey, but, you can get 20 years of service out of a pair.

I always wore AE captoes for my dressiest shoe.
But for casual and dressy casual (even in Court), I wear virtually nothing but Mephisto.
One pair of everyday shoes, I would wear 250-300 days/yr for 5-7 yrs, then have resoled, and minor restitching if needed.
My two pair of basic shoes are 20 yrs old and 13 yrs old, and both look great.
But it is difficult to find a store that carries Mephisto.

Just went to the local AE website the shoes look awesome but since I work for a major retailer and get a 20% discount I'll purchase the Cole Haan's for a third of the AE price.

What’s everyone’s opinion on men’s dress shoes. I wear dress shoes 5 day a week and my tan shoes are starting to show wear. They are Cole Haan’s and I have got a solid 5 years out of them. I can get the employee discount for new ones so the question is, is it worth it to step up to an Alden or Allen Edmond or stay the course and get Cole Haan?
Alden and never ever wear brown or tan shoes with a blue suit.

Didn’t Nike buy Cole Han?

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Stick with what works for you. Manufacturers all use different lasts to build shoes, so if you have found a brand that fits your foot really well, stick with it. Even a very high quality shoe might not be great on your feet...

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
What’s everyone’s opinion on men’s dress shoes. I wear dress shoes 5 day a week and my tan shoes are starting to show wear. They are Cole Haan’s and I have got a solid 5 years out of them. I can get the employee discount for new ones so the question is, is it worth it to step up to an Alden or Allen Edmond or stay the course and get Cole Haan?
I wear Cole Haan and I love them....

Cole Haan is owned by Nike. Therefore, they have a lot of insight into sole design. IMO, more expensive shoes might have a longer break in period. However, if there is a high grade softer leather used in the shoe, the downside of that is it will wear out more quickly. 2-3 pairs will increase the lifetime of the shoes, because it allows the perspiration to dry out of the shoe. It also allows for more stylish diversity. Wear what you like, and what makes you feel good. I don't hesitate to buy online to get a sale, if I am familiar with the brand. Zappos has free return shipping. ---Katchelda Marcos.
Cole Haan is no longer owned by Nike. They were sold off in 2012

I'm a big fan of Allen Edmonds. They wear well and look great. If you are searching for price vs quality comparison. I can't recall where but I just read an article saying the best bang for your buck was Kenneth Cole. I've never owned a pair so I can't offer an opinion.

I only wear dress shoes when I wear a suit or really want to look spify. My typical shoe with business casual is Keen Targahee II hiking shoes. My dress shoes are Johnson and Murphy old school wing tips.

Johnson and Murphy all the way to the bank.

I once worked in Accounts Payable. One day Johnson & Murphy calls, hot over a past due invoice. I tried to ratchet down the emotion by telling them I had on a pair of their shoes. To which the guy on the other end of the line replied, "Yeah, they're probably a pair you owe us money for."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT