ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s BB tough remaining schedule

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
Illinois away, Michigan and OSU at home, Purdue, and Nebraska away in the final game are the remaining games - they are all big games now. I can’t see them beating Purdue but the others - they can win 2 or 3 or 4 of them. 3 -2 would give them 10 Big10 wins and 20 wins total. It won’t be an easy road but should be fun to watch as a fan. Nebraska as the last game on the road could be a real challenge. What do ya think?

I agree that Purdue is a loss, barring the boilermaker starting five getting accidentally locked in a training room. The rest are winnable, but only the Illinois game would be clearly in our favor.

Reactions: psu1969a
Illinois away, Michigan and OSU at home, Purdue, and Nebraska away in the final game are the remaining games - they are all big games now. I can’t see them beating Purdue but the others - they can win 2 or 3 or 4 of them. 3 -2 would give them 10 Big10 wins and 20 wins total. It won’t be an easy road but should be fun to watch as a fan. Nebraska as the last game on the road could be a real challenge. What do ya think?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I foresee 1-4.

@ Illinois W
O$U L (B1G Officiating “make-up” game)
@PU L (no explanation necessary)
Mich L (they’re Michigan, PSU is still toxic)
@ Neb L (we’re away playing against Delany’s new “love child”)

Last edited:
All road games are difficult but ILL only has 2 conference wins. Have to win that one.
Also have to beat Michigan at home. Then need one of the other 3 games and a 1st round game in the tournament.

If we could finish 3-2, there is a realistic chance of a pretty clear path to the B1G semi (assuming that one of those wins is Michigan). Probably a >50% chance that we'd at worst tie Michigan for 5th, and we'd have the tiebreaker. So something like Illinois/Iowa, then Nebraska (who we'd be a small favorite over).

NIT.

Need a win at Illinois next Sunday and then try to win a game with the remaining four and you have a 9-9 regular season which is pretty good for Penn State. I'd be happy.

Who knows maybe make a run in the B1G tournament and then play some good basketball in the NIT. Just enjoy it; fun team to watch.

These games are hard to predict. I wouldn’t even say Illinois is a sure win. If I were to bet I’d go with the following:
Illinois W (PSU is clearly better but it’s away)
OSU L (PSU is going to have to shoot like they did in Columbus to win)
Purdue L (too talented)
Michigan W (Michigan is struggling away)
Nebraska L (very difficult game and Nebraska is going to be on the bubble)
Anything between 1-4 and 4-1 is possible. Probably need the latter to make the tourney.

I really only see two more wins with that remaining schedule. Because of the weak OOC schedule, probably won’t get us dancing. That’s a shame because a 9-9 conference record is not bad.

While I will never guarantee an away Big Ten win ... just remember Illinois is 12-12 (2-9).

They are 11-3 at home this year (which yes they are an abysmal 1-9 away from home). 11-3 sounds nice .... except in games against Big Ten opponents they actually only are 2-3. The 2 wins ... Indiana (13-12) and Rutgers (12-14). If the teams comes out with the same intensity, focus and in a way desperation they have the last two games .... they'll win this one by double digits even on the road.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT