ADVERTISEMENT

Meat thermometer

sigchip_a_yahoo.com

Aug 7, 2008
All Knowing Board - anyone have a good recommendation for a device to tell you the temperature of your meat on a grill? Thx

The ThermoPro TP-01A is a small, light-weight and inexpensive hand-held instant read thermometer that exhibits good accuracy and quick response times. It cannot be left in food in a cooker.

The unit has a long probe with a narrow tip that allows it to respond quickly to changes in temperature. It is turned on by pressing a button that doubles as the ºF/ºC selector. There is a second button that allows you to capture and hold the reading, and a third button that activates the blue backlight. The display is on the small side but readily legible. There is a loop at the top that can be used to attach a lanyard or hang the instrument on a hook.

This thermometer operates on two AG13 button batteries instead of the more readily-available AAAs. The battery life is not specified in the user instructions. The housing is not sealed against the ingress of moisture, making it vulnerable to damage in the cooking environment. The sample we tested died shortly after testing, displaying only "LL.L" despite being at room temperature. (This reading normally would indicate that the temperature was below the range for which it was designed.)

Aside from the mortality failure, the thermometer was quicker than all but the best instant reads and its accuracy was good. The build quality leaves something to be desired, but it costs only $8.99, so you get what you pay for. The product comes with clear instructions. The manufacturer's contact info includes an e-mail address, a website URL, and a telephone number. It is covered by a one-year limited warranty.

We'll give it a Bronze Medal for decent performance at a low price, despite its marginal construction.

WWW.amazingribs.com your go to place for info on outdoor cooking

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews-and-buying-guides/best-thermometers-food-and-cooking

Reactions: acg116
New Thermapen Mk4
The "Lamborghini of instant read thermometers" is what Harry Soo of SlapYoDaddyBBQ calls the Thermapen, and he should know because he is one of the winningest competitors on the BBQ circuit. The MK4, introduced in late 2015 has several improvements over earlier models. The Thermapen is the thermocouple-based you see all the cooks on TV using. I highly recommend it for anyone serious about cooking or baking properly. It reads meat temp precisely in about two seconds, it is extremely accurate, has large easy-to-see numbers that rotate as you rotate the device, and a long probe for getting into the center of a large hunk of meat like a ham. The heat sensor is extremely small, so you know you are reading just where you put it. It is water resistent, reads from -58 to 572°F (-50° to 300°C), and switches between F and C.

I can't believe how many people don't use a meat thermometer. No wonder they often have over cooked chicken! It's the best way to get a great cook. I have used many. I currently have a ThermoWorks ThermoPop which is really great. Works fast and is water resistent at a good price.

Being a gadget guy, I recently purchased a Meater. It's a wireless meat thermometer that works with an app and tells you exactly how much time you have left on your meat depending on how you want it cooked. It's been working great! https://store.meater.com

Experience is your best teacher. The worst thing you can do to your cut of meat after you started cooking is to stab it with a spike (drains juices). Learn to judge tempeture based on your grill and finger technique.

A few tips...
- bring meat to room temp before putting on the grill
- season right before putting on grill (for premium cuts) - ribs and slow cook cuts can be overnight
- don't continuously flip or stab w fork (use tongs)
- take meat off the grill and let it sit on a plate (cover with foil) - distributes the juices

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/the_finger_test_to_check_the_doneness_of_meat/

I echo the recommendations for Thermopen. This is a great tool and truly instant read. Don't if you are remotely serious about BBQ or grilling, get a Thermopen.

Experience is your best teacher. The worst thing you can do to your cut of meat after you started cooking is to stab it with a spike (drains juices). Learn to judge tempeture based on your grill and finger technique.

A few tips...
- season right before putting on grill (for premium cuts) - ribs and slow cook cuts can be overnight
- take meat off the grill and let it sit on a plate (cover with foil) - distributes the juices

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/the_finger_test_to_check_the_doneness_of_meat/
there are many people that disagree with your last tip, as well as stabbing the meat losing juices that would cause a reduced product, they argue the proper temp is more important.

Why I think resting is a mistake
But resting has other impacts, many detrimental.

Cold steak! Another important thing happens during resting: The meat gets cold. There's a reason the serving plates are hot in steakhouses. We like our meat hot. It will cool off fast enough, why give it a running start?

Overcooked meat! Another thing happens when the meat is resting: Carryover. Depending on the thickness and the amount of energy stored in the outer layer, the center can rise 5 to 10°F or more. That can take your perfectly cooked prime rib roast to particle board before you know it. And the hotter the center, the less moisture.

Waxy fat! When a steak is hot, the fats are soft, sometimes even runny. They give the meat a rich unctuous mouthfeel and a lot of flavor. Let the meat cool and the fat starts to harden and get waxy.

Soft surface! While resting, the crust of a steak or chop gets soft and wet, especially on the side that is in contact with the plate or cutting board. Spice rubs get muddy. Adam Perry Lang is a classically trained chef, a partner with Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich in Carnevino in Las Vegas, a partner with Jamie Oliver in Barbecoa in London, and founder of Daisy May's BBQ in New York City. I asked him to weigh in on this. He points out that the juiciness sensation also depends a lot on the crust, especially its saltiness. "In the early crust stage (fresh off the grill), fat, collagen, and salt will cause a unique flood of saliva in your mouth. I refer to this type of crust stage as 'alive and snappy'. It is the type of crust that can cause you to eat clumps of fat and chewy sinew with joy that you would not normally eat. I am convinced it is another dimension, or the epitome of umami [savoriness]. It rarely comes the same way from a rested piece of meat. Finishing salt is also important for this juiciness sensation."
Prof. Blonder's experiments on steaks
I asked Prof. Blonder to look into the matter.

He started by taking two 13.5 ounce ribeyes, each 1.5" thick, salted them with 1/3 teaspoon of table salt per pound, and let them sit for an hour or so in the fridge. This technique is called dry brining and is known to help the proteins retain moisture as well as improve flavor. He then cooked them to 125°F, medium rare, using the reverse sear method I recommend because it produces more tender and less overcooked meat.

He immediately cut one steak into strips, collected the juices in a paper towel from the cutting board and the meat surfaces, weighed the towel on a sensitive scale, and subtracted the towel's dry weight. The "not rested" steak expelled about one ounce by weight through the whole process, most of it on the cutting board. Remember, the raw steak weighed 13.5 ounces.

Within five minutes juices started emerging from the "rested steak" which sat for 30 minutes before Blonder cut it up. After he cut the meat up, he collected the juices, most of which were on the meat surface not the board, and weighed them. The total was about 85% of the one ounce collected from the not rested steak. An insignificant difference. Also, the meat temp rose to 145°F from carryover cooking, well past medium rare. Carryover could explain the fewer juices since the warmer meat is, the fewer juices it discharges. Not much juice left in a well done steak. Is this the reason people think resting meat preserves juices?

To make sure his data was correct Blonder repeated his tests. Same results. And remember, Blonder did something most adults don't do. He sliced up the meat all at once. So by this measure alone, resting meat has no significant benefit.

blonder-tests-resting.jpg

you can read the rest of the science here.....https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...ce-juiciness-why-resting-and-holding-meat-are

Overcooked meat! Another thing happens when the meat is resting: Carryover. Depending on the thickness and the amount of energy stored in the outer layer, the center can rise 5 to 10°F or more. That can take your perfectly cooked prime rib roast to particle board before you know it. And the hotter the center, the less moisture.

Carryover cooking is the reason why you take the meat out BEFORE it reaches its desired temperature. Resting meat should allow it to achieve the proper temp, but exceed it.

Also, anyone who isn't using an immersion circulator first to cook to desired temp throughout the full thickness of the meat, and then searing to add color/texture is a flat out chump!

Reactions: The Stan
I've been using this one for a while and it's great.

Digital Meat Thermometer Instant Read (2-4s) For Grilling Cooking Food BBQ or Candy,Wireless Waterproof For Kitchen ,Oven,Grill,Water,Beer,Milk, Bath Water Probe,Steak, Indoor Outdoor (black02) (black) Amazon product ASIN B0799RYF9Z

A few tips...

Just another way to go about it...

http://jesspryles.com/recipe/how-to-cook-a-steak-with-reverse-sear-method/

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html

I can't believe how many people don't use a meat thermometer. No wonder they often have over cooked chicken! It's the best way to get a great cook. I have used many. I currently have a ThermoWorks ThermoPop which is really great. Works fast and is water resistent at a good price.

Being a gadget guy, I recently purchased a Meater. It's a wireless meat thermometer that works with an app and tells you exactly how much time you have left on your meat depending on how you want it cooked. It's been working great! https://store.meater.com

Seems like they always have a sale of some sort.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

They pretty much have a thermometer for any cooking technique.

I have an MK4 and love it!

I just use a cheap digital thermometer. I check it's calibration with boiling water occasionally.

I don't have a self regulating smoker/grill, so I'm always nearby anyway. I have a good idea for cooking time based on what I'm cooking and cooking temp. I check it close to when it should be done to see if it's on track and adjust accordingly.

All Knowing Board - anyone have a good recommendation for a device to tell you the temperature of your meat on a grill? Thx
Lot of good tips here. My only input is that if you are smoking/slow cooking, it's nice to have a digital thermometer with a probe. that way you can leave the probe in the meat (don't have to keep poking it) and monitor the temp without opening the smoker all the time.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
In practice, once you get experience with grilling you won't need a thermometer, you'll know the meat is done by feel, or by lifting it with your tongs and seeing how much it bends. (cooked means harder, less flexible)

Anyway there are two types of thermometers that are worth owning.

I) A decent Instant Read. Tons of brands, most of them are good. the more you pay, the more "instant" it is. $20 buys you something that will take 5-10 seconds. $50 is 3 seconds. $80-$100 is more or less instant. In practice the speed is cool but doesn't make much difference. No real need to spend a lot of money.

Two brands I own and like:

$20: CDN Pro-accurate instant-read.

$50: Lavatools Javelin Pro is faster, well built, longer probe. I own it but it's not really a big step up from the CDN for being twice as expensive.

2) Remote-probe thermometer. You stick the probe in your meat and you can monitor the temp real-time. These tend to wear out fast because the probe or wire is easily damaged. I have found the CDN brand to be long-lasting. But there are other brands that get good reviews so I assume they're good.

Note, if you want to use Amazon reviews, you HAVE to read them because so much is bogus.. A lof of time the stars are completely misleading or wrong -- because the reviews are for a different model or they're just plain fake. So.. use the reviews but with caution.

Reactions: JoeFi
for future reference, my wife lives by America's Test Kitchen recommendations for all of our appliances and kitchen utensils and they've been spot on with EVERYTHING so far (thermometer, food processor, knife sharpener... etc). The thermapen is their #1.

In practice, once you get experience with grilling you won't need a thermometer, you'll know the meat is done by feel, or by lifting it with your tongs and seeing how much it bends. (cooked means harder, less flexible)

Anyway there are two types of thermometers that are worth owning.

I) A decent Instant Read. Tons of brands, most of them are good. the more you pay, the more "instant" it is. $20 buys you something that will take 5-10 seconds. $50 is 3 seconds. $80-$100 is more or less instant. In practice the speed is cool but doesn't make much difference. No real need to spend a lot of money.

Two brands I own and like:

$20: CDN Pro-accurate instant-read.

$50: Lavatools Javelin Pro is faster, well built, longer probe. I own it but it's not really a big step up from the CDN for being twice as expensive.

2) Remote-probe thermometer. You stick the probe in your meat and you can monitor the temp real-time. These tend to wear out fast because the probe or wire is easily damaged. I have found the CDN brand to be long-lasting. But there are other brands that get good reviews so I assume they're good.

Note, if you want to use Amazon reviews, you HAVE to read them because so much is bogus.. A lof of time the stars are completely misleading or wrong -- because the reviews are for a different model or they're just plain fake. So.. use the reviews but with caution.
"Once you get experience you won't need a thermometer"
Bullshiat.
That's why you see all the pros using them.
The difference between a chicken breast pulled off the grill at an internal temperature of 160 vs one pulled at 170 is huge in terms of moistness and tenderness. If you're telling me you can feel that difference without a thermometer .....not buying it.
I grill. A lot. Would never do without a quality, rapid read meat thermometer.

"Once you get experience you won't need a thermometer"
Bullshiat.
That's why you see all the pros using them.
The difference between a chicken breast pulled off the grill at an internal temperature of 160 vs one pulled at 170 is huge in terms of moistness and tenderness. If you're telling me you can feel that difference without a thermometer .....not buying it.
I grill. A lot. Would never do without a quality, rapid read meat thermometer.
I agree with that. I'll take it further to say you don't want to serve undercooked chicken or pork. I'm not taking a chance that my feel might be off that day and give us food poisoning. Especially if I've been hitting the beer fridge all day, which has been known to happen.

Reactions: Zenophile and PSU87
for future reference, my wife lives by America's Test Kitchen recommendations for all of our appliances and kitchen utensils and they've been spot on with EVERYTHING so far (thermometer, food processor, knife sharpener... etc). The thermapen is their #1.

Love America’s Test Kitchen...

Do miss Mister Kimball, however

As others have pointed out, the Thermapen by Thermoworks is the gold standard. However, they are pretty pricey. There are a lot of good thermometers on the Thermoworks website that are very, very good that can be had for under $30.
If you don't want to invest in the Thermapen, at least do yourself a favor.... do NOT buy anything from Walmart, even if it says "Weber" on it, for $12. It's going to be an inaccurate, slow, bi-metal thermometer. Think about it- 10 degrees makes no difference when you're taking the temperature of boiling water, your oven, etc.... 10 degrees is HUGE when you're talking about the doneness of meat.
Thermoworks runs sales all the time too.....

Sluggo, I figured to be a grilling Rabbi simply by being a boater. What boater doesn't grill. Your resting post is great. I rest a steak maybe two minutes from grill to plate with a foil tent. Time to start rethinking that I guess but some of these ten minute resting recommendations I read on line never made any sense to me. I am going to try the dry brine for steaks. I brine chicken and pork but never beef (yet) although I read a lot about brining everything. Makes a huge difference in pork and chicken.

Reactions: PSU87
Sluggo, I figured to be a grilling Rabbi simply by being a boater. What boater doesn't grill. Your resting post is great. I rest a steak maybe two minutes from grill to plate with a foil tent. Time to start rethinking that I guess but some of these ten minute resting recommendations I read on line never made any sense to me. I am going to try the dry brine for steaks. I brine chicken and pork but never beef (yet) although I read a lot about brining everything. Makes a huge difference in pork and chicken.
I tried brining one time, and failed, but it does look like the way to go, so I will look into trying it again, especially chicken. I wonder if you put frozen chicken in a brine if that would work? That way you get the defrost and brine at the same time.

I tried brining one time, and failed, but it does look like the way to go, so I will look into trying it again, especially chicken. I wonder if you put frozen chicken in a brine if that would work? That way you get the defrost and brine at the same time.
Don't put frozen chicken in. It won't brine correctly.

Brining isn't difficult. A simple and effective brine is water, kosher salt, brown sugar, rough chopped onion and garlic or granular substitutes. I use hot water so the sugar and salt dissolves. Rosemary or sage are good additives for chicken or pork. A dash of cayenne will add some heat. I try to brine at least overnight. Rinse and dry before cooking.

The salt-water ratio is critical. Look it up before making it. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Reactions: Zenophile
Lot of good tips here. My only input is that if you are smoking/slow cooking, it's nice to have a digital thermometer with a probe. that way you can leave the probe in the meat (don't have to keep poking it) and monitor the temp without opening the smoker all the time.

Like I was saying in an earlier reply, Thermopen seems to always have a sale.

15% off of everything including there smoke (Model name).

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT